Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,883 members, 7,817,598 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

"Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister (9585 Views)

India Changes Name To Bharat? G20 invitation Fuels Rumours / US Energy Producers Roast Biden / Hundreds Dead As ‘lions Of Panjshir’ Hold Line Against Taliban Assault( Pix,vid) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by naptu2: 5:41am On Nov 03, 2017
US energy chief: Fossil fuels may prevent sexual assault

03 November 2017

US Energy Secretary Rick Perry has said an increase in the use of fossil fuels in Africa may prevent sexual assault.

Speaking in Washington, he said "from the standpoint of sexual assault" light would shine "righteousness...on those types of acts".

Mr Perry also said electricity would stop people from reading by the light of fires, which have toxic fumes.

His comments have been criticised, with one environmental group describing them as "blatantly untrue".

Mr Perry, a known climate change sceptic, said on Thursday: "From the standpoint of sexual assault. When the lights are on, when you have light that shines, the righteousness, if you will, on those types of acts".

"So from the standpoint of how you really affect people's lives, fossil fuels is [sic] going to play a role in that", he added.

Mr Perry was discussing a recent trip to Africa at an event hosted by NBC News and Axios. He told journalists that he had met a young girl who said she read by the light of a fire.

"A young girl told me to my face, one of the reasons electricity is so important to me is not only because I'm not going to have to try and read by the light of a fire and have those fumes literally killing people", he said.

⏺US official duped by Russian hoaxers

⏺Rick Perry picked as US energy secretary

A spokeswoman for the Department of Energy told The Hill , a political news website, that the comments were intended to highlight the ways electricity will improve the lives of people in Africa.

"The secretary was making the important point that while many Americans take electricity for granted there are people in other countries who are impacted by their lack of electricity," Shaylyn Hynes said.

'Resign immediately'

The comments have been criticised by environmental groups. The Sierra Club, which supports wind and solar power, described them as "blatantly untrue".

The group's director, Michael Brune, said in a statement: "To suggest that fossil fuel development will decrease sexual assault is not only blatantly untrue, it is an inexcusable attempt to minimise a serious and pervasive issue."

"Rick Perry's attempt to exploit this struggle to justify further dangerous fossil fuel development is unacceptable. He should resign from his position immediately before he causes any more damage."

Mr Perry, a former governor of Texas, became known for gaffes made during his 2012 bid for the US presidency.

He dropped out of the race after famously failing to recall the name of the agency he now heads, which he said he would abolish if elected.

As energy secretary, in July this year he was duped by Russian pranksters who made him believe he was speaking to the Ukrainian prime minister.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-41854358
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by naptu2: 5:41am On Nov 03, 2017

Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by naptu2: 5:41am On Nov 03, 2017
More reactions

Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by Nobody: 6:12am On Nov 03, 2017
haha this man is crazy
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by Samsimple(m): 6:34am On Nov 03, 2017
It all started when i went to his house to charge my phone

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by Dutchey(m): 6:42am On Nov 03, 2017
NEPA, hope u dey listen??
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by Nobody: 6:43am On Nov 03, 2017
Olodo
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by 2dillu2(m): 6:43am On Nov 03, 2017
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by deepwater(f): 6:45am On Nov 03, 2017
Lol
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by Nobody: 6:47am On Nov 03, 2017
Ha
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by cococandy(f): 6:48am On Nov 03, 2017
I’m embarrassed for America

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by Opharhe: 6:48am On Nov 03, 2017
What kind of comments do we have above sef? And this is already in front page? Na wa o.
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by bunmioguns(m): 6:51am On Nov 03, 2017
When you are high on Osogbo weed
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by yfo: 6:52am On Nov 03, 2017
Our tiger battery enabled torch light can also stop sexual assault, oponu! angry
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by israelmao(m): 6:53am On Nov 03, 2017
How?The write-up is yet to make sense.
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by madridguy(m): 6:53am On Nov 03, 2017
grin grin grin
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by free2ryhme: 6:54am On Nov 03, 2017
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by Nobody: 6:56am On Nov 03, 2017
This guy is right as few people take advantage of the night to perpetuate rape me other vices

2 Likes

Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by AlexCk: 6:56am On Nov 03, 2017
undecided.

Trump, did u really appoint this guy??, cuz if he actually said this, that's dumb.
Infact, let's just say he's right (lol), those that get assaulted in their homes nko, when there's electricity nko.

Smh.

He probably got high b4 making that comment.

Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by free2ryhme: 6:56am On Nov 03, 2017
naptu2:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-41854358

Developed nations with constant electricity on a 24 hr basis witnessed sexually assaults on a daily basis compared to African nations
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by NPComplete: 6:57am On Nov 03, 2017
Oh America, how are the mighty fallen.
You went from a country run by some of the best minds during the Obama era to a joke of a country run by halfwits and religious nuts during this Trump era.
Even China has become a leader in working towards clean and renewable energy. Sad.
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by Nobody: 6:57am On Nov 03, 2017
He said it while taking his nap in a bottle of alcohol.
Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by mrvitalis(m): 6:58am On Nov 03, 2017
The last presidential election made me lose respect for America

Really this the type of leaders they can get ?

No wonder they can't defeat Russia who spend $90bn on defence while they spend $700bn yearly

3 Likes

Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by Nobody: 7:00am On Nov 03, 2017
mrvitalis:

No wonder they can't defeat Russia who spend $90bn on defence while they spend $700bn yearly
When did they go to war?

2 Likes

Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by SycophanticGoat: 7:00am On Nov 03, 2017
mrvitalis:

See who's talking! A person who's judiciously supporting a dead weight in Nigeria is criticizing US and her citizens.

Even though this man is very dull, I can guarantee you that Buhari and most of the useless, clueless, criminal cabinet members he wasted 6 months to assemble aren't better than the dull US man in anyway.

Remove the huge pile of dirt in your house before looking for a basket of dirt in your neighbor's house, oh yeh hypocrite!

3 Likes

Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by Lomprico2: 7:01am On Nov 03, 2017
Me sef confuse! I had to read the article as if I get exam.

American should chill jare, their own still better nah, na for here one minister say masquerade dressing will provide 100,000 jobs to the unemployed youths. grin

1 Like

Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by hanassholesolo: 7:02am On Nov 03, 2017
He's right though. He just didn't explain himself clearly.
What he is saying is that, if there was 24 hours electricity (and especially at night) it will be difficult for those people who love to commit crimes during the dark to operate in.

1 Like

Re: "Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister by stano2(m): 7:16am On Nov 03, 2017
After reading the post, I found that the guy is dumb right from his days of being a Governor.
This one the abuse TM the talk bullshit like the ones we have in Nigeria

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief / Queen Elizabeth Ii Husband Accidentally Flashes joystick(pic) / Al-Qaeda's Tips On How To Avoid Drones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.