Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,522 members, 7,816,278 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? (2167 Views)

Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by Emmem005: 7:15am On Nov 03, 2017
Morning Nairalanders,have been meditating over this for bout 4 days and am yet to decide.
Based on Nigeria market now...which of these courses is more/most marketable in Nigeria as at now?

Your contributions and advices will help a lot....because am planning on doing jupeb or A'levels if unilag denied me admission on their supplementary list for this year......Thanks.

I'm aspiring for Geology this year tho.
Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by GavelSlam: 7:21am On Nov 03, 2017
Pet. engineering.

Geology is too restrictive.
Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by sirusX(m): 7:24am On Nov 03, 2017
GavelSlam:
Pet. engineering.

Same with Petroleum Engineering

You can imagine how awkward it would be applying for a job outside that field with that kinda degree

For me...I’d go mechanical engineering instead of petroleum...as one could get a masters in petroleum engineering and advance from there

Besides...you open up yourself to more opportunities not only in the oil and gas industry but beyond that...reaching other industries
Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by sKy007: 7:25am On Nov 03, 2017
Go for Geology

Petroleum is too limited and narrow, if you missed out on working in an oil company, your certificate is basically useless unless you secure a lecturing job

For geology, you can work in oil company (Mobil even recruit Geoscience more than petroleum) as well as any other field in environment
Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by GavelSlam: 7:28am On Nov 03, 2017
sirusX:

You can imagine how awkward it would be applying for a job outside that field with that kinda degree

At all.

Because it is an engineering discipline, many employers consider the numeracy, problem solving skills of Petroleum engineering.

Lots of petroleum engineers still find their way into investment banking, programming, aerospace as well as their core areas of Petrophysics, fluid transport, well support etc.

Geology is restrictive.
Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by GavelSlam: 7:33am On Nov 03, 2017
sKy007:
Go for Geology

Petroleum is too limited and narrow, if you missed out on working in an oil company, your certificate is basically useless unless you secure a lecturing job

For geology, you can work in oil company (Mobil even recruit Geoscience more than petroleum) as well as any other field in environment

Stop misleading the young 'un.

How many roles can you fit into even within the oil industry with a geology degree?

It is hardly a course requiring high numeracy, they are not known for handling big data.
Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by sirusX(m): 7:35am On Nov 03, 2017
GavelSlam:

At all.

Because it is an engineering discipline, many employers consider the numeracy, problem solving skills of Petroleum engineering.

Lots of petroleum engineers still find their way into investment banking, programming, aerospace as well as their core areas of Petrophysics, fluid transport, well support etc.

Geology is restrictive.
You really had to say banking first and then programming

Anywayz, what I meant was that no one studies petroleum engineering to work in some fields you mentioned

There are those who studied those particular fields that would be preferred compared to someone with that background...but that doesn’t mean they don’t have a shot at that kinda job role

Engineering irrespective of the department gives you the backbone for numeracy problems
Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by GavelSlam: 7:43am On Nov 03, 2017
sirusX:

You really had to say banking first and then programming

Anywayz, what I meant was that no one studies petroleum engineering to work in some fields you mentioned

There are those who studied those particular fields that would be preferred compared to someone with that background...but that doesn’t mean they don’t have a shot at that kinda job role

Engineering irrespective of the department gives you the backbone for numeracy problems

Investment banking is different from that stuff you see over the counter.

Don't worry in a few years you would understand.
Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by yildaz: 7:45am On Nov 03, 2017
I think Geology is better.

Apart from working in an oil company (petroleum geologist), you can work in a foundation building company (engineering geologist ), environmental consultant ( environmental geologist ) , water and borehole company ( hydrogeologist), valuable mineral consultant e.g gold, diamiond ( mining geologist) and many more.

You can be self employed as a Mining geologist, engineering geologist, environmental geologist and hydrogeologist.

Petroleum Engineering, u are only restricted to petroleum. When oil vanishes, you are useless.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by maximilano: 7:47am On Nov 03, 2017
Petroleum Engineering is better, engineers are needed more in the oil industry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by yildaz: 7:51am On Nov 03, 2017
maximilano:
Petroleum Engineering is better, engineers are needed more in the oil industry.

don't be a fool and misguide d boy
Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by GavelSlam: 8:00am On Nov 03, 2017
sirusX:

For me...I’d go mechanical engineering instead of petroleum...as one could get a masters in petroleum engineering and advance from there

Besides...you open up yourself to more opportunities not only in the oil and gas industry but beyond that...reaching other industries

He did not ask to choose between other forms of Engineering.

He simply asked between Geology and Pet. engineering which should he undertake.

It's a no-brainer, Petroleum Engineering has more versatility.

Most of the people advising him may not have studied either or worked in an industry requiring such skills.
Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by maximilano: 8:07am On Nov 03, 2017
yildaz:
don't be a fool and misguide d boy
It is obvious who the fool is here.
Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by maximilano: 8:41am On Nov 03, 2017
yildaz:
I think Geology is better.

Apart from working in an oil company (petroleum geologist), you can work in a foundation building company (engineering geologist ), environmental consultant ( environmental geologist ) , water and borehole company ( hydrogeologist), valuable mineral consultant e.g gold, diamiond ( mining geologist) and many more.

You can be self employed as a Mining geologist, engineering geologist, environmental geologist and hydrogeologist.

Petroleum Engineering, u are only restricted to petroleum. When oil vanishes, you are useless.
You are very right but not in a country like Nigeria. My opinion is that most of these branches of Geology you have highlighted have been taken over by quacks or engineers. For example, construction companies don't usually see it as mandatory to employ engineering Geologists because they feel Civil/Geotechnical engineers can do the job. Same goes for the mining industry, hydrology is even worse every Tom, dick and Harry now drills borehole. The fact remains that an Engineer is an Engineer regardless of the area of specialization, so there are more opportunities for an engineer. Until there is a favorable government legislation, Geologists will continue to be shortchanged.
Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by yildaz: 8:58am On Nov 03, 2017
maximilano:

You are very right but not in a country like Nigeria. My opinion is that most of these branches of Geology you have highlighted have been taken over by quacks or engineers. For example, construction companies don't usually see it as mandatory to employ engineering Geologists because they feel Civil/Geotechnical engineers can do the job. Same goes for the mining industry, hydrology is even worse every Tom, dick and Harry now drills borehole. The fact remains that an Engineer is an Engineer regardless of the area of specialization, so there are more opportunities for an engineer. Until there is a favorable government legislation, Geologists will continue to be shortchanged.
u still don't get it. We are talking of Petroleum Engineering here. They are restricted to only oil and gas. And d petroleum industry is declining. While as a Geologist, you are not restricted.

If it were to be Civil Engineering, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering. Then they are better. Not Petroleum Engineering.

I am warning you. Don't spoil the career of this guy by restricting him. Oil and gas is declining and so hard to get job there.
Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by sirusX(m): 9:29am On Nov 03, 2017
GavelSlam:

Investment banking is different from that stuff you see over the counter.

Don't worry in a few years you would understand.
Dude...I ain’t a kid
I understand what you mean smiley

I was just taking a jab at the thought of the word “banking”
Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by sirusX(m): 10:13am On Nov 03, 2017
GavelSlam:

He did not ask to choose between other forms of Engineering.

He simply asked between Geology and Pet. engineering which should he undertake.

It's a no-brainer, Petroleum Engineering has more versatility.

Most of the people advising him may not have studied either or worked in an industry requiring such skills.
I get you in terms of versatility

I do have a degree in both petroleum engineering and geosciences

With my experience in the industry, I’d say one can’t easily replace the other...but all in all, they’re wonderful courses to study

1 Like

Re: Geology Or Petroleum Engineering? by ignis: 4:45am On Jan 23, 2022
GavelSlam:
Pet. engineering.

I disagree....
Geology is very broad and cut across virtually all field including medicine (Medical Geology) and military (Military Geology).
Same cannot be said of Petroleum Engineering. At the moment, the world is looking away from Petroleum to solar energy... Think about it.

(1) (Reply)

LAUTECH Reacts After A Sex Tape Of 'one Of Its Lecturers' Leaks Online (VIDEO) / Funny Video Of Little Girl Packing Out Of The House After Being Beaten (VIDEO) / Unical Admission List: Is 2nd Choice Students Considered?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.