Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,775 members, 7,810,021 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:47 PM

Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology (21457 Views)

About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics / Meet Iya Abubakar Who Became A Professor Of Mathematics At 28 / Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by ikorodureporta: 2:43pm On Nov 05, 2017
Olugbenga Okunlola, a professor of geology at the University of Ibadan, says most of the geologists in the country are not practising what they studied in school.

Okunlola, a board member of the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI), made the statement at the south-west zonal stakeholders’ workshop of the agency in Abeokuta.

He went down memory lane, tracing the origin of geology as a course of study in Nigeria.

“Between 1960 and 1976, we had about five universities that were producing graduates in geology,” he said.

“Currently we have about 54 universities in Nigeria that have produced geo-scientists. Nigeria has less than 50,000 geo-scientists and that is underestimation. Where are they? They are either riding Okada or in the banks or elsewhere.

“When you don’t take a geologist to the field, you are killing him and the natural resources.”

He said there would have been no jobless mechanical engineers in the country if the steel company at Ajaokuta had been working at full capacity.

Ajaokuta Steel is unarguably the largest integrated steel complex in the sub-Saharan Africa. It sits on a site of 24, 000 hectares located in Kogi state.

“When you don’t take a geologist to the field, you are killing him and the natural resources.”
“We don’t need anybody to come and invest in Nigeria, if Ajaokuta starts working, there will be no single jobless mechanical engineer in this country,” he said

“This country has no business with poverty… lack of clear-cut optimisation models; and abandonment of the extractive sector result to poverty.”

He said the major challenges facing the extractive industry are low funding, misplacement and underutilisation of capacity.

In October, the professor of geology said gold deposit in Osun state is worth $5bn.

https://www.thecable.ng/many-geologists-are-riding-okada-says-ui-prof

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by ikorodureporta: 2:49pm On Nov 05, 2017
Dear Prof, u guyz shld b ashamed of yrsvs for turning out okada-geologists. When u dnt want people to tap into yr knowledge, so that they dnt take the business from u. Peopl spend lots of cash for yr projects , yet you supervisors cant put them into internship. Why cant you restructure the course, Geology as Surveyors so as to encourage Specialization??

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by seunlayi(m): 2:51pm On Nov 05, 2017
You are correct prof

4 Likes

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by Nobody: 2:52pm On Nov 05, 2017
....and whose fault is that?

You go to school, spend years and money and finally resort to Okada for living.

What happened to your knowledge?. Of all the book knowledge you had, you can pick out one aspect that interests you. Convert it to a business idea and with time, you'll be fine.

Nobody owes anyone anything!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by calberian: 2:54pm On Nov 05, 2017
ikorodureporta:
Dear Prof, u guyz shld b ashamed of yrsvs for turning out okada-geologists. When u dnt want people to tap into yr knowledge, so that they dnt take the business from u. Peopl spend lots of cash for yr projects , yet you supervisors cant put them into internship. Why cant you restructure the course, Geology as Surveyors so as to encourage Specialization??

Just shut up already

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 05, 2017
ikorodureporta:
Oga, your professor owes you nothing. A lot of successful people are self taught.

Without or without your professor, you can make it in life. All you need is to know what you want and go for it. If indeed you require knowledge and you don't have the luxury of passing under the tutelage of a professor, you will get that knowledge.

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by ikorodureporta: 3:25pm On Nov 05, 2017
FortifiedCity:
Oga, your professor owes you nothing. A lot of successful people are self taught.

Without or without your professor, you can make it in life. All you need is to know what you want and go for it. If indeed you require knowledge and you don't have the luxury of passing under the tutelage of a professor, you will get that knowledge.

Geology is quite diff from what u'r assuming. From classroom to field, to lab/analysis....thats what make u a good geologist. Why is he talking about field if it doesnt matter. My point is that, the lecturers are the cause of it. Geology isnt like computer science which u can learn anywhere. You hav to learn as an intern. Look at Surveyors, they run internship afta their program so as to hav a better knowledge of it...

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by Nukilia: 5:12pm On Nov 05, 2017
cheesy grin grin cheesy LMAO HAHAHAHAHAHAH

The education we receive and pay huge sums for in our universities in West Africa is a SHAM!
Lots of unproductive folks roaming around the street...
It pains me whenever I see students rushing to get a degree without knowing what to do with it...
SHAMBOLIC SYSTEM OF EDUCATION HANDED OVER TO AFRICANS BY THE BRITS grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 05, 2017
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by free2ryhme: 8:25pm On Nov 05, 2017
ikorodureporta:
Source: https://www.thecable.ng/many-geologists-are-riding-okada-says-ui-prof

lalasticlala...aaa!

since you are not smart enough to post the full story

let me help you post

Olugbenga Okunlola, a professor of geology at the University of Ibadan, says most of the geologists in the country are not practising what they studied in school.

Okunlola, a board member of the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI), made the statement at the south-west zonal stakeholders’ workshop of the agency in Abeokuta.

He went down memory lane, tracing the origin of geology as a course of study in Nigeria.

“Between 1960 and 1976, we had about five universities that were producing graduates in geology,” he said.

“Currently we have about 54 universities in Nigeria that have produced geo-scientists. Nigeria has less than 50,000 geo-scientists and that is underestimation. Where are they? They are either riding Okada or in the banks or elsewhere.

He said there would have been no jobless mechanical engineers in the country if the steel company at Ajaokuta had been working at full capacity.

Ajaokuta Steel is unarguably the largest integrated steel complex in the sub-Saharan Africa. It sits on a site of 24, 000 hectares located in Kogi state.

“We don’t need anybody to come and invest in Nigeria, if Ajaokuta starts working, there will be no single jobless mechanical engineer in this country,” he said

“This country has no business with poverty… lack of clear-cut optimisation models; and abandonment of the extractive sector result to poverty.”

He said the major challenges facing the extractive industry are low funding, misplacement and underutilisation of capacity.

In October, the professor of geology said gold deposit in Osun state is worth $5bn.

https://www.thecable.ng/many-geologists-are-riding-okada-says-ui-prof

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 05, 2017
ikorodureporta:

Geology is quite diff from what u'r assuming. From classroom to field, to lab/analysis....thats what make u a good geologist. Why is he talking about field if it doesnt matter. My point is that, the lecturers are the cause of it. Geology isnt like computer science which u can learn anywhere. You hav to learn as an intern. Look at Surveyors, they run internship afta their program so as to hav a better knowledge of it...
All what you mentioned can be done with or without a professor

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by free2ryhme: 8:27pm On Nov 05, 2017
na who go push am enter frontpage

when all the mods do go club
Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by MaziOmenuko: 3:35am On Nov 06, 2017
Good application of their skill and knowledge;

- Identify easy terrain for okada to pass.

- Know the shortest distance between two points, this requires Geological knowledge.

- Survey areas and decipher which possible route to take to avoid traffic.

- Determine population density easily so as to know which areas to comb for passengers.

- Apply knowledge of migratory tendencies of humans to know routes to take.

The prof is right, geologists can be the best okada riders.
Nb: pls don't quote me, I am not feeling fine.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by ikorodureporta: 4:37am On Nov 06, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

- Know the shortest distance between two points, this requires Geological knowledge.

- Determine population density easily so as to know which areas to comb for passengers.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by raystar96(m): 4:48am On Nov 06, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

wickedness in high places

3 Likes

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by BRAV0O(m): 5:46am On Nov 06, 2017
Before nko ? grin only in Nigeria.
Even all the so called big firm company as reduce our educational back ground to nothing where as placing Foreigners road side mechanics as an expatriate.

How do we get here?

#ApapaInChaos #TrucksNowParkAnywhere #FreeSunriseCoconutTo2ndGate!

1 Like

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by Ereolamide: 6:24am On Nov 06, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

Geology is not the same as geography.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by maxiuc(m): 8:05am On Nov 06, 2017
cheesy
Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by Sunnycliff(m): 8:07am On Nov 06, 2017
Education is overhyped in this nation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by loadedvibes: 8:08am On Nov 06, 2017
Hehehe
Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by miteolu(m): 8:08am On Nov 06, 2017
Tell them prof. Some courses in Nigeria are waste of time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by ivolt: 8:08am On Nov 06, 2017
ikorodureporta:

Your professor is not your government, he owes you absolutely nothing
after graduation.
I don't know why so many Nigerians directs their entitlement to the wrong quarters.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by ipobarecriminals: 8:09am On Nov 06, 2017
sad is NURTW/RTEAN union not a job again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by hirekiller1: 8:09am On Nov 06, 2017
Me I dey here dey kill people

Dat yeye prof wey give me tough time for school because we dey date the same girl

God will judge you
Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by Histrings08(m): 8:10am On Nov 06, 2017
That's naija for you
Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by Greatmind23: 8:12am On Nov 06, 2017
As a graduate it's two way learn something it could be baking or any craft work before you graduate or innovate a new thing I bet it you going to end up well so after you graduate you go on with your work and stylishly look for a job else if momma and papa ain't okay you might do okada

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by 2shure: 8:14am On Nov 06, 2017
men i dont kno wat d fuc 2say

buh did i jus hear u say gold deposit in osin state is worth 5billion dolls.
men neumar go be my gate man.
mauweather go be my car wash and shoe shinner.
rick ross my mechanic and rewire and all in one
5billion dollars
fuc we are so rich.
we must find it
by fire
bai force
onwa december

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 06, 2017
This issue is not just about our geologists, it exist in other academic disciplines. I do blame the government if they had encouraged development through all angles there will be elbow room to accommodate our academic erudite and allow others develope privately without fear of folding up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by cescky(m): 8:20am On Nov 06, 2017
Ereolamide:

Geology is not the same as geography.

Leave the illiterate and his cohort

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology by koolgee(m): 8:22am On Nov 06, 2017
Okay

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Study And Make Good Grades – Tips For Average Students / Imo State Has Highest Literacy Rate In Nigeria / See How Four Secondary School Students Were Recorded Raping Schoolgirls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.