Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,768 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married (47765 Views)

"Spirit Of Beersheba Sent Me To Seduce Catholic Priests In Amaruru, Imo" (VIDEO) / Three Catholic Priests Die In Anambra Community After Burning Of Shrines. Photos / Catholic Priests Protest In Akure Over Killing Of Priests In Benue By Herdsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Austinoiz(m): 2:56pm On Nov 04, 2017
GrandMufti:
I weep for Nigerians. Did people actually take their time to read the post?
My dear, I tire ooo. People just rush to comment without reading.
Again the headline is misleading. Pope isnt requesting anything of such, rather, the Brazilian bishop, Cardinal Hummed did.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by murtaj(m): 3:01pm On Nov 04, 2017
hassan4:
Pope Francis has requested that Roman Catholic priests be given the right to get married.

The request applies to priests in Brazil, and is on the agenda for an upcoming synod (church council) in the Amazon region.

A small number of married Roman Catholic priests already exist, including previously married Anglican vicars who have joined the church.

A request to lift the ban on marriage was made by Brazilian bishop Cardinal Claudio Hummes, who reportedly asked the Pope to consider ‘viri probati’, meaning married of great faith, as priests.

Derry priest Father Paddy O’Kane suggested that Pope Francis may move to end celibacy earlier this month, saying there was support amongst the church for the idea.

Fr O’Kane cited Brazilian liberation theologian Leonardo Boff, who said: “The Brazilian bishops, especially the pope’s own personal friend Cardinal Claudio Hummes, have expressly requested Pope Francis to enable married priest in Brazil to return to pastoral ministry.

“I have recently heard that the pope wants to fulfil this request – as an experimental, preliminary phase for the moment confined to Brazil.”
Earlier this year the Pope told Die Zeit newspaper: ‘We must consider if ‘viri probati’ is a possibility. Then we must determine what tasks they can perform, for example, in remote communities.’

Francis and his predecessor Benedict XVI have both stated that celibacy is not a matter of inflexible church dogma unlike, and could be debated.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pope-francis-requests-roman-catholic-priests-given-right-get-married-163603054.html

Hmmmmmmm
So they don't married before??
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by laurenziz6(m): 3:01pm On Nov 04, 2017
Any law made by man can be repealed by man
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Alexandro15: 3:05pm On Nov 04, 2017
But this information is false.

The headline is very misleading. He does not want priests getting married, but he raises the prospects of some married men of great faith becoming priests in specific circumstances and even some Anglican priests who came to the catholic faith.
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Azam101: 3:07pm On Nov 04, 2017
Konji na bastard
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by GrandMufti: 3:10pm On Nov 04, 2017
Austinoiz:

My dear, I tire ooo. People just rush to comment without reading.
Again the headline is misleading. Pope isnt requesting anything of such, rather, the Brazilian bishop, Cardinal Hummed did.

I tire o
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Fourwinds: 3:11pm On Nov 04, 2017
the beginning of the end...

Nostradamus prophecy comes to mind... if what I read about the popes.... this will be a great disaster
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Veeflow(m): 3:12pm On Nov 04, 2017
Statsocial:
Very good decision indeed... No one should be forced by Church rules to sacrifice the wonders of marriage just for service.
dont be foolish.. No one was forced.. If the Catholic church decides that..then many will go.. Its a sacrifice.. There are men who have made vows not to fornicate before marriage.. That is sacrifice.. Same way there are men who decided to stay away from beer for life.. Its all about saying God I dedicate my body to you. Use it as a tool to touch many lives. But today we Christians find it easy to fault a priest- forgetting in everything in life there is good and bad. Even in our families. I was born a Catholic yet I still attend other churches programs. Cux its the same God we call on. Just different way of worship. Let's not be ignorant if the truth pls

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by olabrad: 3:40pm On Nov 04, 2017
HeyCorleone:
And so ends the Catholic Church.. Anyways it has tried. No other institution on Earth has existed that long..

How will marriage of priest end the Catholic faith?some idiots will just dip their brains in feces and be commenting myopic trash.
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by olabrad: 3:41pm On Nov 04, 2017
hisgrace090:
If done it will bring the catholic church closer to the right part.

Catholic faith is never on the wrong path. You don't know what you are talking about.
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by gozzlin: 3:46pm On Nov 04, 2017
BlaiseBankss:
Tho there are loads of girls who will love to marry a priest I see no be reason why the Pope should allow marriage because it destroys the Celibacy of priests some will lose focus and start committing adultery because they will be allowed to have carnal knowledge and come to think of it some will be diverting church funds into the training of their children if they give birth later on.
To be married is one:: To be a priest is another
#Just_My_View_On_The _Issue

Sorry to say, but your argument does not hold water. Anglican priests perform their priestly tasks with great zeal even more so than their Catholic counterparts, despite their marital status. Family responsibility can never in any way be a distraction for someone who wants to serve God.

On the issue of diverting funds, Catholic priests of nowadays divert funds to their relatives (mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, etc) build houses everywhere. Nothing changes even when they get married.

The Bible never supports celibacy of priests, it was a doctrine integrated into Roman catholicism from the ancient Roman pagan religion. A place in the new testament specifically prescribes that a priest in church should be the husband of a wife.

I hope that this reform will be implemented, and more reforms should be instigated in the Catholic Church so that they will some day start practicing true Christianity and not one adulterated with pagan, ritualistic practices.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Codes151(m): 3:49pm On Nov 04, 2017
It goes to show why this religion is generally acceptable!!! Unlike some religions
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by iammcdean: 3:51pm On Nov 04, 2017
ladies and gentlemen

here comes the pope

annnnd the pope have spoken
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Hitex: 4:02pm On Nov 04, 2017
Hmm
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by billyG(m): 4:09pm On Nov 04, 2017
marry for what!we shall not take it!!dey shld all b turn to eunuchs!
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Aeman(m): 4:52pm On Nov 04, 2017
liesssssssss allll bt biiiiiiiiigggggggg liiiiiìiiiiieeeessss
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Nobody: 5:12pm On Nov 04, 2017
greenstar:
You're fool, what kind of pic is that, I can't imagine the pic affected my breath
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Nobody: 5:15pm On Nov 04, 2017
omojeesu:

WHICH PRINCIPLE BEGAN SINCE CHRIST JESUS: MARRIAGE OR CELEBACY?
What's actually be intended on Jesus principle states how he Christ Jesus tend to allow his followers associate with his ways and morals. Thats why he candidly got 12 followers among all millions of followers... Think well bro
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 04, 2017
dollarlander:

In fact Catholic Church will grow like dry season fire.
Yeah! Jesus Christ principle needs to be attained and candidly respected for. Christ Jesus never got married to be sincere
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 04, 2017
mecussey:

However good or bad a situation is...it will change.
Whatever the changes bro seems actual to be out of anyone's hands to be frank. But such law needs to be abolished and Christ Principle being maintained
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by mechanics(m): 5:24pm On Nov 04, 2017
A nice one, i hope it will be extended to African Catholic priests.
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 04, 2017
AceVentura:

Why don't you take an oath of celibacy & see if "konji" won't finish you.

If they are allowed to get married, child molestation will be greatly reduced.

This is my own opinion. You may also have a superior argument.
Forget whatever molestation or anything with konji or sex. Christ never did sex or whatever with any woman. He only followed God ways and told his followers and disciples to attain to such principle
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by emi14: 5:25pm On Nov 04, 2017
expensiveguyman:
Huh? end time Pope, Roman Catholic priest are not meant to get married. I don't really know what ur motives are but one thing for sure is that d gate of hell will never prevail against d church of Christ.
Social media propaganda
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by philcz(m): 5:27pm On Nov 04, 2017
hisgrace090:
If done it will bring the catholic church closer to the right part.
Right part or path? if it's path do you have the map?
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by SNOWBOI360(m): 5:27pm On Nov 04, 2017
what kind of idiocracy is this,is this world coming to an end truelly?
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 04, 2017
sekem:

How?

How will it weaken the catholic church?
For a priest to think of marriage in himself not only hamper the risk of weakening the catholic faith but also encourage corruption and immoral and indecent practices which may be of really disastrous effect to the future and thus needs to be against
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Nobody: 5:30pm On Nov 04, 2017
egoldman:

Celibacy in the church did not start with Christ , it is a human dogma,started by human beings , the catholics ( by themselves and for themselves ) infact married people where among those that followed Jesus during his ministry on earth .
Dont forget Apostle paul said , if possible , let everyone remain celibate as he was , but he added " if you are not able to do it , its then better to marry than to burn " this means celibacy is a personal thing , such should not be imposed on anyone by any church or faith .
Apostle Paul was not among the 12 disciples of Christ. He only stated that in terms of normal human beings and not those following Christ holy ways and principle. Priests never think of women. Its immoral and can be very temptatious
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by mhizsuzzy(f): 5:31pm On Nov 04, 2017
No not supported..

What they shd be thinking is making African Catholic church stand on their own with their own pope......

I must confess these western culture will soon start infiltrating our African culture........We need to stand on our own ooh.

Churches should not bend principles so as to flow with the world.......

That's my view
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 04, 2017
Foodforthought:

Which do u prefer? That some priests continue to hide under the cloak of celibacy to commit sexual sins? Desperate times call for desperate measures. Let them just get married so that such temptation will pass
We are actually dealing with heaven and God himself and Christ Jesus sitting on the right hand side of him. Think well... All have sinned and falled short of the glory of God. We are humans and they the priest only obey Jesus ways
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 04, 2017
Wantedmiller:

what do you mean by above statement................ since Christ Jesus.
What I actually do intend on is while Christ Jesus himself handed over his authority to apostle peter who was the first pope of the roman catholic faith
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by revolt8787: 6:46pm On Nov 04, 2017
kkko:
Actually I did not read the post but I think the girl has no right to beat up her boyfriend in public. Maybe they should report the matter to their village elders but if the neighbour refuse to pay his rent they should just kill the landlord and forget about the missing car.

� so na the new trend for nairaland be this funny post
Re: Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:14pm On Nov 04, 2017
this will be a disaster to the catholic church. . .this will spoil so many things. . .well they come come give excuse now say the old doctrine can be debated. . .well make I park well cos nigerian own Catholic priest go begin won drag land, house and claim their papa other property self. .this world self, me don tire!
www.valentine202.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Deeper Life Church Suspends Wedding In Bayelsa As Couple Eats From Same Plate / Apostle Suleman's Response To A Man Who Asked Him For A Car & Money To Build / Father Mbaka's Removal Adoration Ministry: Worshippers Attack New Priest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.