Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,312 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:41 AM

Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' (2650 Views)

PMB Marks One Year Of Polio-free Nigeria, Vaccinates Grandchild / Turkish Airlines Staff Dies In Istanbul Due To Nigerian Mosquito Bite (Photo) / Can Mosquito Transfer Ebola Virus Disease ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by FBS: 11:30am On Mar 19, 2010
Mosquito 'vaccinates as it bites'

A genetically-engineered mosquito that vaccinates as it bites has been developed by scientists.

Experts believe "flying vaccinators" could be a radical new way of tackling malaria.

However, a strategy that allows the uncontrolled mass delivery of vaccines via biting insects could raise ethical objections.

Each year malaria claims between one and two million lives around the world, mostly of African children.

The disease is caused by a single-celled parasite spread by the Anopheles mosquito.

Scientists have looked at a number of ways of genetically modifying the insect to stop it transmitting the organism.

They include making male mosquitoes infertile, and creating a malaria-free insect that will out-survive the carriers.

The new approach, the most radical yet, targets the salivary gland of the Anopheles mosquito.

Scientists in Japan have engineered an insect producing a natural vaccine protein in its saliva which is injected into the bloodstream when it bites.

The research is reported in the journal Insect Molecular Biology.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100319/thl-mosquito-vaccinates-as-it-bites-d831572.html
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by MackTee: 2:02pm On Mar 19, 2010
When are the scientists and medical practitioners of this world going to stop brainwashing us all because of commercial gains?
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by tubabie(f): 2:09pm On Mar 19, 2010
FBS , is it possible You can give us the main link from the Journal and not just the report. It's hard to comment on this report as it is not comprehensive or conclusive enough. wink
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by Freestyl(m): 2:39pm On Mar 19, 2010
Seems like a dream to me, but my question is: how can one identify the vaccinated mosquito from the normal mosquitoes?
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by samuelk(m): 2:41pm On Mar 19, 2010
another way of introducing a new infection embarassed
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:43pm On Mar 19, 2010
Freestyl:

Seems like a dream to me, but my question is: how can one identify the vaccinated mosquito from the normal mosquitoes?

That's a tough one for some but the ones at my place have night-vision goggles and gas masks to avoid getting killed by insecticides. I hope these new-fangled vaccination mosquitoes also come with a mandate to kill the malaria-carrying ones
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by tubabie(f): 2:44pm On Mar 19, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

That's a tough one for some but the ones at my place have night-vision goggles and gas masks to avoid getting killed by insecticides. I hope these new-fangled vaccination mosquitoes also come with a mandate to kill the malaria-carrying ones

Lol.
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:44pm On Mar 19, 2010
Hopes for a New Kind of Malaria Vaccine
[url]http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1954177,00.html[/url]

Malaria was eradicated in the U.S. by 1951, so Americans can be forgiven for not giving the disease much thought. But the mosquito-borne scourge is responsible for the deaths of nearly a million children under age 5 each year — mostly in Africa — killing one child every 30 seconds. Half the world's population remains at risk — including travelers to affected countries.

But while initiatives to provide insecticide-treated bed nets and other control measures have cut malaria rates in half in some countries, the disease is adapting, and insecticide-resistant and treatment-resistant strains are increasingly problematic. And the worldwide recession is reducing the funding available to keep malaria-control initiatives going. As a new avenue of attack, the PATH Malaria Vaccine Initiative (MVI) — which is funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation — on Friday, Jan. 15, announced a collaboration with the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and the Sabin Vaccine Institute to create a whole new kind of malaria vaccine. Called a transmission-blocking vaccine (TBV), it is aimed not at protecting individuals from the disease but at preventing mosquitoes that carry it from spreading it. (See TIME's health and medicine covers.)

"I think it's very encouraging," says Dr. Lee Hall, chief of the Parasitology and International Programs branch of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). "It's a big endorsement by MVI for this general approach."

Traditional vaccines work by introducing a killed or weakened version of a disease into the body, where the immune system spots it and cranks out antibodies against it. Then, if a wild strain of the pathogen comes along later — one that has the power to sicken or kill — the body is ready for it. The new approach is different. Developed by Rhoel Dinglasan, an entomologist and biologist at Johns Hopkins University Hospital, it would instead work within the mosquito gut.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1954177,00.html#ixzz0id6U1eCR
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by Richtronix(m): 3:19pm On Mar 19, 2010
another way of introducing a new infection

Good point.

Infact I'd go as far as saying these frankenstein type experiments will go as far as introducing worse mutations into the ecosystem.

Im against it simply because there are other ways that can be explored i.e. new more potent drugs, sterilization of the mosquito speciesthat carry malaria so eventually they die out etc,
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by FBS: 3:26pm On Mar 19, 2010
Mack Tee:

When are the scientists and medical practitioners of this world going to stop brainwashing us all because of commercial gains?
Always have it at the back of your mind nobody does anything for free.
The only free thing is the GRACE OF GOD!

lagerwhenindoubt:

Freestyl:

You guys are cracking me up. waaaaaaat! LOL!
But guys, lets try to see some positives in it.  cheesy

tubabie:

FBS , is it possible You can give us the main link from the Journal and not just the report. It's hard to comment on this report as it is not comprehensive or conclusive enough. wink
tubabie, you want the full report? Wait, I dey come.  cheesy
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by slap1(m): 3:29pm On Mar 19, 2010
So scientists now manufacture mosquitoes? Na wah o. So will these new 'flying doctors' be resistant to Mortein, Raid and other insecticides?
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by peacettw: 3:41pm On Mar 19, 2010
This sounds pretty dangerous. Kind of reminds me of the films MIMIC and JURASSIC PARK. I am guessing though that that would be the least of their problems, afterall, they're testing it on Africans.
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by peacettw: 3:41pm On Mar 19, 2010
This sounds pretty dangerous. Kind of reminds me of the films MIMIC and JURASSIC PARK. I am guessing though that that would be the least of their problems, afterall, they're testing it on Africans.
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by otukpo(f): 3:43pm On Mar 19, 2010
story story, story
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by kannymoore(m): 3:55pm On Mar 19, 2010
vaccinating mosquito or malario carrying mosquito, , if one land on my body, , na slap i go slap am!
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by samuelk(m): 4:06pm On Mar 19, 2010
kannymoore:

vaccinating mosquito or malario carrying mosquito, , if one land on my body, , na slap i go slap am!
[/quot
slap1 link=topic=415748.msg5724439#msg5724439 date=1269008986:

So scientists now manufacture mosquitoes? Na wah o. So will these new 'flying doctors' be resistant to Mortein, Raid and other insecticides?
e]

grin grin grin
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by supereagle(m): 7:10pm On Mar 19, 2010
Na money we sabi sup hre in naija. No research grants for our scientists
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by Feraz(m): 7:12pm On Mar 19, 2010
kannymoore:

LOL! But wait o! How do they want to make male mosquitoes infertile
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by aieromon(m): 7:21pm On Mar 19, 2010
It might work but how do we eradicate the lethal mosquitoes?
They're still gonna bite or does the vaccine build a impenetrable shield round the person?
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by utotomi50(m): 8:46pm On Mar 19, 2010
wow! A little strange though
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by SwtzMinx(f): 9:03pm On Mar 19, 2010
.hmmm. . .nyc one. .
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by Nobody: 9:19pm On Mar 19, 2010
uhmmm are we sure its not infecting with HIV? I hope you all have heard about ethnic/geographic cleansing? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by Sprumbaba: 11:14pm On Mar 19, 2010
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by Caporegime(m): 11:25pm On Mar 19, 2010
[color=#990000][/color]are we 4geting that both mosquito and malaria were created by GOD 4 a reason, if they are destroyd who go do their job, lol
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by Bethlehem: 10:36am On Mar 20, 2010
^^^ thats funny! grin
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by mezie4u(m): 12:18pm On Mar 20, 2010
they should hasten up, this mosquitoes are like witches, alwayz out for blood
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by semid4lyfe(m): 12:24pm On Mar 20, 2010
mezie4u:

oh yes i'll support Dora led INEC, but we all know that it can never happen in Nigeria. once Iwu is removed, a mallam or another hungry prof will replace him. I rest my case.
Dude. . .u're on the wrong thread.
Sprumbaba:

Lots of Hybrid Mosquitoes in Surulere Lagos.They go to work in the morning ,come back around 7pm and start clubbing till 9pm before they start feasting on you.

Lot of qualities:

They bite through jeans
They leave several bumps on your face (especially when you are new before you become son of the soil)
They come back at you 10 times stronger after spraying insecticide
They sound like world war II planes when hovering over you
They are extremely fast and I bet you will hardly kill one

Overall, they make like miserable and still give you malaria.
Our house girls have resigned because of them.
Those scientists should come for internship before they develop anything.
LWKMD! This post has just made my day.
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by splashbaby(m): 4:33pm On Mar 20, 2010
samuelk:

another way of introducing a new infection embarassed
, And destryoing the ecosystem,
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by montili(f): 3:18pm On Mar 21, 2010
This is ludacris!!!  cool ok, they send the vaccinating mosquitos right? if and only if its true or just a fantasy story wat happens to overdose. They could as well just want to reduce the human race or have an hidden agenda, if it works just watch out where they'll distribute it to - Africa and most especially Nigeria.

May God just help us all.
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by idifu(m): 10:18pm On Mar 21, 2010
gud
Re: Mosquito 'vaccinates As It Bites' by An0nimus: 3:10pm On Mar 23, 2010
@lagerwhenindoubt. . .the ones in my area also gat jetpacks.lol
@topic
like they say 'theres no such thing as free lunch'

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Side Effects Associated With Performing Cunnilingus / The Unbelievable Things OAU Medical Students Saw During An Outreach (Photos) / 5 Frightening But Fascinating Drugs (GRAPHIC)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.