Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,012 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1304886 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:19pm On May 29, 2018
monchat:
Ps dear friends, a friend of mine that the hubby lives and works in the UK said, the hubby is unable to get accomodation beacuse of he has a very bad credit history which has made it very difficult for him to get an apartment because of this issue my friend said she is unable to visit her husband. I advised her to tell her hubby to look for one room self apartment so that she can visit but she said the hubby refused her coming to stay in one room apartment with him, that it is against the law. She has been so sad. Ps I want to ask how difficult it is for one to rent apartment with bad credit?
If it is very difficult how can one rent with bad credit
Does it mean that the hubby can not rent again? Ps I need advice. Moreso she complained that the hubby is not doing his permanent job again, he now changed to agency job. His reasons is beacuse they pay agency staff well than permanent staff, ps how true is that? The hubby works as health care assistant in the hospital. Is health care assistant really a good job, because she complained to me that they d'nt pay him well. Ps dear friends I need y advice to really know how I can talk to her.

He can rent an apartment with negative credit rating, but he would need a guarantor.......

Find a guarantor is the problem, because if he defaults, the guarantor is responsible for 100% of any outstanding or any breach......

Health care assistant is not a bad job, it pays between £15 - £20 per hour, if employed in a hospital. And as low as £10 per hour, if employed in a residential/nurshing home.

What type of visa does he hold?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nellahen: 1:23pm On May 29, 2018
Goodafternoon all, please is anyone knowledgeable about starting a business in the Uk, visa type ,eligibility . I would appreciate any information. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:24pm On May 29, 2018
Aphrodite007:

This is a very sad story and I’m sorry but the man is not trying at all. He doesn’t seem to be making an effort to get her over because there are ways around this.

First of all, he can apply for some credit building cards that can fix his credit rating with time. This isn’t the best option but If he is responsible enough, this might go away.

Secondly, because he has a bad credit rating doesn’t mean he can’t get a place to live (also it’s a not true that he can’t live with his wife in a one-bed apartment, I’m telling you, there’s something fishy going on with him- anyway not my business but it could help her to really investigate. So that she can either manage the marriage or walk out). Anyway, To fix his house problem he can rent an apartment with someone that has a good credit score (he must have friends or colleagues), then he would get a guarantor and pay more deposit.

Thirdly, if that money was not gotten through mago-mago means, all he has to do is explain to the bank and give them proof. I work in a bank so I know first that that this would have been rectified if he had provided proof of the legit business that gave him such money.

Finally, agency workers do get paid a lot more, however there’s more security in working on a permanent basis, it can go a long way in making the bank or landlord see his a credible.

So my dear, the problem isn’t how the UK is unfair to him, but the fact that uncle is not being truthful to Aunty about his circumstances.

How are we so sure it's not a deliberate plot to keep her away?
Maybe she is the 9ja Madam, UK madam is residing with her bobo........

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by monchat(m): 1:58pm On May 29, 2018
Lexusgs430:

He can rent an apartment with negative credit rating, but he would need a guarantor.......

Find a guarantor is the problem, because if he defaults, the guarantor is responsible for 100% of any outstanding or any breach......

Health care assistant is not a bad job, it pays between £15 - £20 per hour, if employed in a hospital. And as low as £10 per hour, if employed in a residential/nurshing home.

What type of visa does he hold?

She said he is from EU family (Austria) and got a working visa which he do renew every 2 or 5years. That he has stayed now in uk for 5years but applied for permanent stay last year, was refused, so he is planning to re-apply again to get it and fill for her.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by monchat(m): 2:11pm On May 29, 2018
Lexusgs430:

I d'nt understand ps . What do u mean? I am just assisting a friend to solve her problem. I live here in Nigeria with my hubby and family
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:18pm On May 29, 2018
monchat:

She said he is from EU family (Austria) and got a working visa which he do renew every 2 or 5years. That he has stayed now in uk for 5years but applied for permanent stay last year, was refused, so he is planning to re-apply again to get it and fill for her.

Is he Nigerian?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by cuteguy201: 2:24pm On May 29, 2018
I'm just surprised you know alot abt your friend's relationship.

Why don't you introduce your friend to this thread, so that she'd get the help she needs instead of this back and forth scenerios.

I wouldn't want your hubby to think there is something fishy with you being all hyper into your friend's matters.
monchat:

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by monchat(m): 2:27pm On May 29, 2018
Geetrix:

Is he Nigerian?

Yep he is from Nigeria, he is an Edo guy.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 2:30pm On May 29, 2018
All this is getting too personal, better to answer the questions without causing any embarrassment to @monchat or her friend even if she is the person in question its nobody's business. This is a very nice and friendly thread it will be nice for it to remain that way.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by monchat(m): 2:32pm On May 29, 2018
cuteguy201:
I'm just surprised you know alot abt your friend's relationship.

Why don't you introduce your friend to this thread, so that she'd get the help she needs instead of this back and forth scenerios.

I wouldn't want your hubby to think there is something fishy with you being all hyper into your friend's matters.

She is my child hood friend and like a sister to me. Just trying to assist her, that is all. Thank u all for y contributions, she is reading every comments u guys wrote. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 3:54pm On May 29, 2018
monchat:

She is my child hood friend and like a sister to me. Just trying to assist her, that is all. Thank u all for y contributions, she is reading every comments u guys wrote. Thanks.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The guy will have to go back to Austria to get citizenship and then come back to UK. For you to get permanent residence in The UK, you need to have a clean record. They will do a credit check and if they discover he has been involved in fraud, they will not grant him. If you have ordinary driving offences, it will affect your application not to mention 40k wire.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 5:04pm On May 29, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The guy will have to go back to Austria to get citizenship and then come back to UK. For you to get permanent residence in The UK, you need to have a clean record. They will do a credit check and if they discover he has been involved in fraud, they will not grant him. If you have ordinary driving offences, it will have affect your application not to mention 40k wire.

Just curious. How long have you been in the UK?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 5:13pm On May 29, 2018
Inkredible:

Just curious. How long have you been in the UK?

Since 2004. Why?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 5:20pm On May 29, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Since 2004. Why?

Nothing. Just curious.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:21am On May 30, 2018
I Really think something is fishy from d whole excuse of not being able to rent house to they don't allow couples to live in 1 bed apartment.

Like someone suggested it will be good the person find out more about the person and ur position in the marriage before she even talks about him filing for her.

All the best.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:35pm On May 30, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Baba I tire for the matter o. I’m so upset that he is putting her through this. Man that is supposed to be missing his wife is making up stories. The other menhere that have been desperate to bring their wives to the UK, do they have two heads? It’s seems Aunty is married to herself! Sad

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:43pm On May 30, 2018
fatima04:
I Really think something is fishy from d whole excuse of not being able to rent house to they don't allow couples to live in 1 bed apartment.

Like someone suggested it will be good the person find out more about the person and ur position in the marriage before she even talks about him filing for her.

All the best.

I’m telling you fati. I really feel for the poor woman. It’s their concern sha. I have sha made my point clear that all he said is a lie.

Can’t believe he said carers don’t earn well. Lol. And that he and his wife can’t leave in a one-beded. It is well sha.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:45pm On May 30, 2018
Aphrodite007:

Baba I tire for the matter o. I’m so upset that he is putting her through this. Man that is supposed to be missing his wife is making up stories. The other menhere that have been desperate to bring their wives to the UK, do they have two heads? It’s seems Aunty is married to herself! Sad

We can only speculate, but it seems we know the score ......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:46pm On May 30, 2018
Lexusgs430:

We can only speculate, but it seems we know the score ......

Toh! grin

Poor lady angry
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:25pm On May 30, 2018
Aphrodite007:

Toh! grin

Poor lady angry

Magana yakare......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ukprospect: 8:45pm On May 30, 2018
Pls o my people, I don arrive with my plenty questions concerning the tier 2 Visa application. I will be filling for self and 3 dependents. Currently awaiting COs for June by God's grace but I want to begin filling the online form now in order to avoid rush hours and need for priority as the money go dey too much for my neck.
question 1. What should be my answer for 'are you travelling with anyone' on my dependents form. Since I already yes and listed the 3 of them on main applicant form. Do I need to repeat the listing for everyone cos we will all be traveling together.
2. Response to 'how long do you intend to stay in the UK' .my contract is for 1 yr and am applying for upto 3yrs eventhou I planned to stay eternally there grin
Lemme stop here for now.
Thanks in anticipation for your help.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by monchat(m): 6:34am On May 31, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The guy will have to go back to Austria to get citizenship and then come back to UK. For you to get permanent residence in The UK, you need to have a clean record. They will do a credit check and if they discover he has been involved in fraud, they will not grant him. If you have ordinary driving offences, it will affect your application not to mention 40k wire.

This is so sad. Thanks for this information. Do that mean she can not join her hubby again in the UK since a check will be run on his credit fille So what can she do to join her hubby. This is so sad for her. However the guy in question av stayed about 5years in uk and how can he go bk to Austria and start another life and years to get a stay.not easy at all. This situation is just weighing my friend down. We are just looking for way out for her to join her hubby ps
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chyk91(m): 6:58am On May 31, 2018
Good day people,
I am new in the u.k and so far its been good.
Opened an account yesterday and just want to find out how to improve my credit score?
Also, how feasible is it getting into the property market in the next 2/3 years?
I am single, no dependents as well.
Will be expecting replies from experienced nairalanders.
Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 9:26am On May 31, 2018
monchat:

This is so sad. Thanks for this information. Do that mean she can not join her hubby again in the UK since a check will be run on his credit fille So what can she do to join her hubby. This is so sad for her. However the guy in question av stayed about 5years in uk and how can he go bk to Austria and start another life and years to get a stay.not easy at all. This situation is just weighing my friend down. We are just looking for way out for her to join her hubby ps

The question is does the husband want her to come?

I thought you said he got his permanent residence from Austria... what's with the question about starting all over again...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by monchat(m): 10:05am On May 31, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

The question is does the husband want her to come?

I thought you said he got his permanent residence from Austria... what's with the question about starting all over again...

Yes the hubby wants her to come. She said the hubby came to uk through contract marriage and by then he has not got his permanent resident. It was the Australian lady that brought him and he got a work visa in uk and they disolved the marriage. He decided to get married to my friend because they know each other before from Nigeria. So no permanent stay in uk for now only work permit. He has stayed about 5years in uk and trying to bring her in but he is unable to that bc of no permanent resident yet. He has try to fill for it again.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 10:58am On May 31, 2018
chyk91:
Good day people,
Opened an account yesterday and just want to find out how to improve my credit score?
Also, how feasible is it getting into the property market in the next 2/3 years?
Thanks.

Welcome

To improve your credit score make sure you pay all your bills on time.

Also you need to get a credit card use it to pay for your normal shopping BUT to avoid paying any interest pay all the balance off before the payment due date. Its better to get one that gives you points or cash, this way you are improving your credit score at no cost. only spend the amount that you know you can pay off every month.

The reason you get credit is because if your name is not on the credit list your credit score is as bad as someone in debt,. These companies need to know your paying habits whether you pay your bills on time and all this information adds up to build your credit score.

Also don't keep applying for so much credit cos anytime you apply for any kind of credit and you are turned down, a search is recorded against your name. Even when you apply for insurance a search is done in your name.

Before you apply for the card make sure you are at least 80% sure that you will be accepted so that a failed search doesn't go against your name.

Get your name registered on the electoral poll register as soon as you have settled into your address.

Goodluck

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:02am On May 31, 2018
Rubyventures:

Welcome

To improve your credit score make sure you pay all your bills on time.

Also you need to get a credit card use it to pay for your normal shopping BUT to avoid paying any interest pay all the balance off before the payment due date. Its better to get one that gives you points or cash, this way you are improving your credit score at no cost. only spend the amount that you know you can pay off every month.

The reason you get credit is because if your name is not on the credit list your credit score is as bad as someone in debt,. These companies need to know your paying habits whether you pay your bills on time and all this information adds up to build your credit score.

Also don't keep applying for so much credit cos anytime you apply for any kind of credit and you are turned down, a search is recorded against your name. Even when you apply for insurance a search is done in your name.

Before you apply for the card make sure you are at least 80% sure that you will be accepted so that a failed search doesn't go against your name.

Get your name registered on the electoral poll register as soon as you have settled into your address.

Goodluck

This

Google credit builder cards.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:24am On May 31, 2018
monchat:

Yes the hubby wants her to come. She said the hubby came to uk through contract marriage and by then he has not got his permanent resident. It was the Australian lady that brought him and he got a work visa in uk and they disolved the marriage. He decided to get married to my friend because they know each other before from Nigeria. So no permanent stay in uk for now only work permit. He has stayed about 5years in uk and trying to bring her in but he is unable to that bc of no permanent resident yet. He has try to fill for it again.

Sorry this one pass me o
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 11:53am On May 31, 2018
Many of us are oblivious to the intricacies of immigration life in the UK, we feel it is a bed of roses, until you get a wake up call on how to navigate and be financially wise either by hard earned experience or advice from fore-runners

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 12:58pm On May 31, 2018
chyk91:
Good day people,
Thanks.

Also to get on to the property ladder, you will need to have a stable job with stable income and you will need also a deposit of about 10%. If you are based in London, the average property value is £350,000. 10% of this figure is £35K. it gets cheaper as you move northwards and more expensive as you move SW.

This means that you will be applying for a mortgage of about £315,000 for which the monthly payments over a 25yr period will be at least £1,100 +/- depending on your interest rate.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dupyshoo: 1:27pm On May 31, 2018
This is a very complex situation. Did he get retained right of residence after his divorce? Was the Austrian lady a qualified person at the pont of divorce? Why was his permanent residence application refused? Until he gets permanent residence, he definitely cannot bring another non EEA spouse to the UK. So the issue is not rent or poor credit rating. Your friend/sister needs to ask questions to really understand his current situation.

monchat:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dupyshoo: 1:44pm On May 31, 2018
To build your credit score, you can start with credit builder cards such as vanquis card, aqua card, capital one card. They usually have very high interest rates (it can be as high as 59.9% compared to the regular 18% credit card). So, owing money on the credit card is a NO NO. As someone had earlier advised, ensure you pay the full balance every month before the due date. Do NOT miss any payments as it will set you back by years.

After doing that for a year or 2, you would have been eligible to get the normal credit cards and store cards. I will advise you still continue to pay all your balances in full. You might also be lucky to get a credit card from your bank a year after operating your account.

In addition, mobile phone contracts and some utility bills can help build your credit rating.

Getting into property market within the next 3 years is dependent on your salary, location, the kind of house you want to buy, monthly expenses, among others. Also, some lenders will expect you to have up to 25% deposit if you don't have ILR. What happens to the house if you have to leave UK? I will advise that, as you are still single, try to save very hard now, by 3 years time, you will be able to determine if you are in a good position to purchase a house/flat.

chyk91:
Good day people,
Thanks.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.