Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life (8404 Views)

Thankfulness (AS Shukr): The Purpose Of Creation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by Mockaroo: 3:07pm On Nov 07, 2017
The life of each one of us is a story of good times and difficult times. What is the purpose of difficulties in our lives ? As part of our Islamic faith, we believe that all matters are in the hands of Allah. However, for some of us our faith can get shaken during times of trials and hardships. It is during those times though that we should remind ourselves that difficulties are either there to elevate us or to punish us for some committed sin.

Difficulties Are A Test

Allah created angels as the perfect entities. An entity that cannot commit any mistake under any circumstances. Then He decided to create something above the angels. An entity which could be awarded with pleasures of paradise for an infinite period. But to qualify for this high status, humans had to qualify some tests. As stated in Quran (47-31)

Without doubt We shall test you until We know those who struggle and are patient among you, and make clear your news. Quran (47-31)

Same message of Quran is given at lots of other places like (29-3), (8-17), (23-30), (8-28), (72-17) etc.A believer who qualifies the test , his position and rank is raised in front of Allah and that such a hardship may very well be a sign of Allah’s love for the believer. This can help us in maintaining and even strengthening our faith.

Great Rewards Associated with Great Calamities

It was narrated from Anas ibn Malik that the Prophet (saw) said:

“Great reward comes with great trials. When Allah loves a people, He tests them, and whoever accepts it attains His pleasure, whereas whoever shows discontent with it incurs His wrath.” Narrated and classed as hasan by at-Tirmidhi (2396); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in as-Silsilah as-Saheehah, no. 146

Given that this life has its share of challenges and difficulties for all, Allah has provided an opportunity of high rewards for those who endure these challenges with patience rather than with complaints and ingratitude.

In this hadith, we find that the prophet (s) has provided a message of relief for those who endure difficulties with patience. He also associated greatness of difficulties and calamities with higher rewards. So, enduring through lighter problems and challenges has a smaller reward than enduring greater difficulties and challenges. Given that this life has its share of challenges and difficulties for all, Allah has provided an opportunity of high rewards for those who endure these challenges with patience rather than with complaints and ingratitude. And for those who show displeasure and discontent with Allah’s decree end up in a lose-lose situation because not only they have to live through their current suffering but also incur Allah’s wrath for their displeasure and discontent with His decree.

We should also realize that our patience when facing difficulties raises our status in front of Allah, and may lead to the forgiveness of our sins. He says in the Quran:

“Say: “O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is Allah’s earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!” (Surah Az-Zumar:10)”

The Prophet (S) said:

“Nothing befalls a believer, a (prick of a) thorn or more than that, but Allah will raise him one degree in status thereby, or erase a bad deed.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5641) and Muslim (2573).

The Messenger (S) said in a well known hadith the following:

“How wonderful is the affair of the believer, for his affairs are all good, and this applies to no one but the believer. If something good happens to him, he is thankful for it and that is good for him. If something bad happens to him, he bears it with patience and that is good for him.” (Narrated by Muslim, 2999).

We should also realize that when Allah puts His steadfast believers through trials and tribulations, that is a sign of His love for them. It was narrated that Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

“If Allah wills good for His slave, He hastens his punishment in this world, and if He wills bad for His slave, He withholds from him (the punishment for) his sin, until He requites him for it on the Day of Resurrection.” Narrated and classed as hasan by at-Tirmidhi (2396); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh at-Tirmidhi.

http://quranalhakeem.com/the-purpose-of-difficulties-in-life/

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by Lirqur: 8:58pm On Nov 14, 2017
This is very correct.
Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by miqos02(m): 11:15am On Nov 17, 2017
cool
Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by Adaowerri111: 11:16am On Nov 17, 2017
Terrorism brings about difficulties

3 Likes

Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by binsanni(m): 11:23am On Nov 17, 2017
Alhamdulilah
Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by Gegz(m): 11:30am On Nov 17, 2017
Jazakallahukhayr OP
Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by Nobody: 11:33am On Nov 17, 2017
That awkward moment when a Muslim post doesn't mention Lalasticlala or have enough comments but it hits front page. Why is Seun this stupid?

1 Like

Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by Christane: 11:36am On Nov 17, 2017
nyc thread ..May Allah bless the op.. everythng in life happen for a reason ..perseverance is the key to success ..most tyms wen we re going through hard times .is a way God z preparing u for great thng ahead ..

3 Likes

Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by fay39: 11:42am On Nov 17, 2017
masha Allah
Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by missyQween(f): 11:47am On Nov 17, 2017
My favourite verse in the Qur'an is"Verily, With difficulty come ease"
And, O you who believe! Seek help in patience and Solat,Truly! Allah is with the As-Sabrin(The patient)
Op,Jazakalahu khair

8 Likes

Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by GaniLAb(m): 11:47am On Nov 17, 2017
we have to respond positively in our difficult times (everything comes from God either good or bad)

1 Like

Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by donqx: 11:51am On Nov 17, 2017
oh
Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by Heybeedee(m): 11:54am On Nov 17, 2017
subhanallah wal hamdulilah...walla illa ila'allah..allahu Akbar wala aola.wala kuwata illa billah.......
Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by mutiu450: 11:55am On Nov 17, 2017
Jakumllah khyran
Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 17, 2017
Jumat Mubarak to all Muslim nairalanders

Listen to my songs at http://my.notjustok.com/p/oracle
Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by sordique81(m): 1:12pm On Nov 17, 2017
JazakumLlahu khayr. May Allaah reward us all for our Steadfastness.
Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by olaztek(m): 3:12pm On Nov 17, 2017
It is related that a woman once went to the Prophet Dawood (David) (may the Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) and said to him, "O Prophet of Allah, is your Lord just or unjust?" Prophet Dawood (may the Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) said, "Woe to you woman, indeed He is Most Just and never acts unjustly." He then asked her, "What is your story?" The woman said to Prophet Dawood (may the Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him), "I am a widow, I have three daughters, and I provide for them from what I spin with my needles and yard. Yesterday, I wrapped my yarn in a cloth and went with it to the marketplace, intending to sell it and use the proceeds to buy provisions for my children. But while I was walking to the marketplace, a bird suddenly swooped down and took my yarn and my cloth, after which it flew away. I sat there in a sad and miserable state, faced with the reality that I owned nothing that I could use to provide for my children." As the woman was with Prophet Dawood (may the Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) telling him her story, someone knocked on the door asking permission to enter. Permission was given and ten men entered, they were all businessman, and each one of the ten men had 100 dinars in their hand. They said, "O Prophet of Allah, give this money to someone who is deserving of it." Prophet Dawood (may the Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) asked, "What prompted you to bring this money?" They said, "O Prophet of Allah, we were travelling in a sea vessel, when the waves began to roar tempestuously, and our ship began to sink. Then suddenly, as if out of nowhere, a bird came and dropped a red cloth that contained yard inside of it. Using those materials, we worked to repair the hole in the ship that was causing us to sink. Not much time passed before the winds and waves calmed down and the hole was repaired. We then made an oath to Allah that each one of us would give 100 dinars in charity. This is that money, which you may give as a charity to whomsoever you please." Prophet Dawood (may the Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) and said to her, "A Lord Who does business for you on land and in the sea, yet you make Him out to be unjust!" then he gave the women the entire 1000 dinars and said, "Spend it on your children." Moral From this story we are reminded of a principle which is taught to us in a narration of the Prophet Muhammad (May the Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) in which he said: “How amazing is the affair of the believer. There is good for him in everything and that is for no one but the believer. If good times come his way, he expresses gratitude to Allah and that is good for him, and if hardship comes his way, he endures it patiently and that is better for him.” [Saheeh Muslim]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Purpose Of Difficulties In Life by ronkeenuf(f): 5:13pm On Nov 17, 2017
Being patient and steadfast during trials isn't easy o. May Allah SWT always be merciful with us, may He not leave us to our affairs at any point in time and may He forgive us our past sins, ameen.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Quran Forbids Lottery, Gambling, Games Of Chance / Which Allah Was Mutaleb Worshipping As An Idolater? / Why Gashiyyah Challenge Is A Filth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.