Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,587 members, 7,816,446 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Car Fan Comes On Randomly - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Fan Comes On Randomly (10384 Views)

Why the need to convert car fan to Manuel and remove thermostat / Honda City Goes Off At Slow Speed And Battery Light Comes On / Car Fan Connected Direct (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Fan Comes On Randomly by SpaceAngel: 11:15am On Nov 08, 2017
The radiator fan of 2008 Toyota Highlander randomly comes on for approximately 2mins when the car is switched off. What could be issue.

1 Like

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by autologic: 11:53am On Nov 08, 2017
SpaceAngel:
The radiator fan of 2008 Toyota Highlander randomly comes on for approximately 2mins when the car is switched off. What could be issue.
Is it when you switch off only the engine or both the engine and ignition.
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by SpaceAngel: 2:16pm On Nov 08, 2017
Both the engine and ignition is switched off and the key is not in the ignition.
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by autologic: 3:30pm On Nov 08, 2017
SpaceAngel:
Both the engine and ignition is switched off and the key is not in the ignition.
You have a faulty fan control module .
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by SpaceAngel: 3:53pm On Nov 08, 2017
will replace. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by sultaan(m): 7:47am On Nov 09, 2017
Normal thing it just means your engine was still hot when you stopped, just use some detergents and warm water to clean the radiator and condenser sand dirt and mud buildup might be reducing its function.

Don't got changing parts

2 Likes

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by SpaceAngel: 11:30am On Nov 10, 2017
sultaan:
Normal thing it just means your engine was still hot when you stopped, just use some detergents and warm water to clean the radiator and condenser sand dirt and mud buildup might be reducing its function.

Don't got changing parts

Does it mean dirt can make the fan to come up on it's own when no key is in ignition and you maybe sleeping or watching TV and you hear your car fan coming on randomly and go off after 2mins? Radiator is clean though. Flushed not long ago .

1 Like

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by aAK1(m): 12:08pm On Nov 10, 2017
SpaceAngel:

Does it mean dirt can make the fan to come up on it's own when no key is in ignition and you maybe sleeping or watching TV and you hear your car fan coming on randomly and go off after 2mins? Radiator is clean though. Flushed not long ago .
the car doing what it's been designed to do.

1 Like

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by SpaceAngel: 4:42pm On Nov 10, 2017
aAK1:
the car doing what it's been designed to do.

Car never behaved this way till a few months ago, I have a more recent model too and it doesn't behave this way. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by Readonee35L(m): 7:49pm On Nov 10, 2017
SpaceAngel:

Car never behaved this way till a few months ago, I have a more recent model too and it doesn't behave this way. undecided
Your car is exceeding it's average temperature range something might be wrong with your cooling system, or maybe your fan picks up late.

My pilot has a leaking radiator, I noticed temperature was above the half mark.
For the first time, the fan was running while engine was off. Because the car is hot and above average temperature range.

4 Likes

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by 9icetoo(m): 7:49am On Nov 12, 2017
your car to is running hotter than it should. while your temp gauge might sit on the 90 mark, you car may be experiencing 105 degree heat inside the engine, this prompts your fans to come on after you have parked. happened to me on my Skoda Octavia. my scanner showed what was happening. my thermostat was the culprit. changed that and the issue stopped. initially, I flushed coolant, radiator, changed coolant temp sensor until I narrowed it down to the thermostat. it was opening but only partially.

2 Likes

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by SpaceAngel: 11:08am On Nov 12, 2017
It is not due to heat. A car that is parked for maybe three days under carport and the radiator fan comes on is definitely not heat. Maybe people don't understand my problem statement. undecided

1 Like

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:20am On Nov 12, 2017
you didn't explain your problem well, that's y. from ur opening statement, the implied meaning is that ur fan comes on intermittently, no other conditions were stated.

so now u mean the car will be switched off for a while and the fans will just come on?

2 Likes

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by Alvin007: 11:36am On Nov 12, 2017
SpaceAngel:
It is not due to heat. A car that is parked for maybe three days under carport and the radiator fan comes on is definitely not heat. Maybe people don't understand my problem statement. undecided

I understand your problem vividly cos my brother's 2012 Toyota Highlander is having the same problems...it wasn't like that when he bought it though..it started after he took it to an air condition 'kazeem' expert, who advised him to connect the radiator fan, to work all the time, and not randomly as it was designed to work..he later tampered with the whole thing.
I advised him to return it to 'status quo ab initio'.. grin (factory/stock settings)..this might solve your problem...get an expert and revert to factory settings, if this is the same problem..

3 Likes

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by OPUSDEI1(m): 12:58pm On Nov 12, 2017
@OP, In cases like this, most likely the fan relay has developed a mind of its own (especially if the factory connection has been tampered with) else the fan module.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by SpaceAngel: 3:36pm On Nov 12, 2017
I guess I'll have to change the fan control module but I just went be sure before doing that. Seems it is bad.
Thanks all.
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by loadeddice: 10:35pm On Jan 09, 2018
SpaceAngel:

Hello Space Angel, did you eventually solve this? same problem i have observed on my highlander same model. vehicle can be parked by 5pm fully switched off and keys out and locked. then at about 2am (9 hours later), you just hear the fan come on for about 1.5 minutes and then shuts off too on its own.

please let us know if you ever got this problem solved and how.

thanks.
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by SpaceAngel: 10:41am On Jan 10, 2018
Not yet.

loadeddice:

Hello Space Angel, did you eventually solve this? same problem i have observed on my highlander same model. vehicle can be parked by 5pm fully switched off and keys out and locked. then at about 2am (9 hours later), you just hear the fan come on for about 1.5 minutes and then shuts off too on its own.

please let us know if you ever got this problem solved and how.

thanks.
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by Adedolapo1: 11:17am On Jan 10, 2018
SpaceAngel:
\

cc:Gazzuzz
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by Jerri7(m): 5:02pm On Jan 10, 2018
My Corolla 2010 had this issue mid last year. The fan module was bad and "Engr Kazeem" asked me to change it to relay and then the problem started. Fan will just come on anytime in the parking lot and several relay replacement couldn't solve it. Until one day I threatened him that I will get him arrested if my new battery run down or there is any electrical problem with the car. Long story short, he contacted another of his oga who took the car away and after like 5 hours, the problem was permanently rectified grin grin grin. Although he said he re-arranged the relay arrangement but since about 7 months now, the issue never came back.

3 Likes

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by obidevine(m): 7:27am On Jan 02, 2019
Gazzuzz is the perfect man for this job. SpaceAngel hook up with Gazzuzz . Or call me on 08066696890.
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 02, 2019
SpaceAngel:

You have an electrical problem
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by FabioPeter: 10:15am On Feb 20, 2019
Alvin007:

I understand your problem vividly cos my brother's 2012 Toyota Highlander is having the same problems...it wasn't like that when he bought it though..it started after he took it to an air condition 'kazeem' expert, who advised him to connect the radiator fan, to work all the time, and not randomly as it was designed to work..he later tampered with the whole thing.
I advised him to return it to 'status quo ab initio'.. grin (factory/stock settings)..this might solve your problem...get an expert and revert to factory settings, if this is the same problem..

I have the same problem with my ‘09 highlander after AC technician advise I changed from auto to manual. He connected the fan directly and bypassed the control when troubleshooting my tripping AC.
I insisted he changed back to default a few weeks later but the fan wouldn’t work again except on direct. I have changed my compressor and the AC works well now but the radiator fan still starts intermittently hours after I switch off my ignition.

I need help.

1 Like

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by Alvin007: 9:08pm On Feb 20, 2019
FabioPeter:

I have the same problem with my ‘09 highlander after AC technician advise I changed from auto to manual. He connected the fan directly and bypassed the control when troubleshooting my tripping AC.
I insisted he changed back to default a few weeks later but the fan wouldn’t work again except on direct. I have changed my compressor and the AC works well now but the radiator fan still starts intermittently hours after I switch off my ignition.

I need help.
Please confirm that the technician has returned the fan to factory specifications..(work at interval).....you can try another technician. I just hope the fan module isn’t faulty already. sad
The fan will continue to start intermittently if it’s still connected to work directly...
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by Alvin007: 9:12pm On Feb 20, 2019
FabioPeter:

I need help.
Please confirm that the technician has returned the fan to factory specifications..(work at interval).....you can try another technician. I just hope the fan module isn’t faulty already. sad
The fan will continue to start intermittently if it’s still connected to work directly.
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by FabioPeter: 2:27am On Mar 06, 2019
Alvin007:

The fan will continue to start intermittently if it’s still connected to work directly.

He did but the fan wouldn’t work on that mode. I may have to change the module. Thank you.
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by sultaan(m): 7:09pm On Mar 06, 2019
Op there is a temperature guage on you dash tell you the temperature of your engine there is another sensor that tells the computer the engine Tempe and when this sensor tells the engine the temp is high fan comes on.

To test you will have to read the voltage with a multimeter or you can just replace it.

I am sure the cooling fan temperature switch is the culprit. Look for yours and replace

SpaceAngel:

That statement is what made me change my diagnosis, when you problem started someone must have worked on your car and damage the sensor it is usually next to the thermostat
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by byxajuzie: 12:02pm On Sep 23, 2019
Dear SpaceAngel,

How did you go about the repairs of your car fan coming on randomly, as my highlander 2012 does the same thing when car is off and parked down for hours.

It comes on for about 2mins and goes off and does that randomly under my battery is flat.

Please help.
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by SpaceAngel: 3:37pm On Sep 23, 2019
I didn't bother fixing again as it didn't in any way affect the car,but you can try what sultan suggested above.
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by chiboyo(m): 10:16am On Dec 31, 2020
Hello House,
A close friend had the same issues described by the OP and a lot of online research was done.
I just think it is important we update our solution for subsequent research.
The following steps was done
1) the relay controlling the fan was changed (solution persisted)

2)Temperature sensor was checked and confirmed ok

3) Fan module was checked and found ok

Then we discovered that the original "kazeem" had bypassed the fan control and had it connected directly, thus the fan was blowing the instant the AC was turned. The new mechanic reset and reprogrammed it and voila the issue was fixed!

The vehicle is a Toyota venza

3 Likes

Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by baconline(m): 5:41pm On Jan 01, 2021
Rad relay or fusebox or an exposed wire is touching where it should not
Re: Car Fan Comes On Randomly by Nobody: 6:36am On Jan 02, 2021
[quote author=SpaceAngel post=62182653]The radiator fan of 2008 Toyota Highlander randomly comes on for approximately 2mins when the car is switched off. What could be issue.[/quote

It's your village people trying to move your car spiritually.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Wrong To Drive Automatic Transmissions With Both Legs? / Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense / How To Know Your Tyres Expiry Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.