Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

CartNG Goes To China! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / CartNG Goes To China! (1714 Views)

Naija Man Goes To Rio De Janeiro, Brazil! (pix) / Air Peace 14-Hour Flight To China, Breaks Nigerian Aviation's Record / "60 Per Cent Of Cargo In Nigeria Goes To Onitsha"- NIWA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CartNG Goes To China! by CartNG: 7:13pm On Nov 10, 2017
CartNG.com is Nigeria’s first online marketplace that enables merchants all over Nigeria to sell their goods or services online, regardless of their location within the country. This is in furtherance of its mission to use ecommerce as tool for the empowerment of the youth and the young at heart, and the development of the Nigerian economy.

As an early sign of its coming success, CartNG was invited to China by the world renowned Alibaba Group to understudy its model, network with other stakeholders in the industry across Africa, brainstorm and refine strategies for growing the ecommerce ecosystem in Africa, etc.

Over the next two weeks, it will be my pleasure to take you along for the ride from two perspectives:

1. Business: Discuss themes and thoughts from the sessions in China from a business perspective. I guarantee you that this will be the most enlightening thread on Nairaland about the ecommerce system in Nigeria. You can follow that conversation through this link: https://www.nairaland.com/4169094/cartng-alibaba-journey-china#62258990

2. Travel: Take you on a visual trip with me to China, from the very beginning to experiences in the different cities in China from a travel perspective, from food to culture, transportation, accommodation, etc. Again, this will be the most enlightening and entertaining thread about China on Nairaland.

So lets begin!!!

Modified:

Pre-register to participate in our Free Experience Sharing Session and learn latest Ecommerce Strategies

https://www.nairaland.com/4192100/free-ecommerce-product-sourcing-digital
Re: CartNG Goes To China! by CartNG: 7:41pm On Nov 10, 2017
The Beginning - Getting a Chinese Visa

A Chinese visa is one of the simplest visas to get if you have the required documentation. From September 2017, visa processing for China has been moved from the embassy to a VFS managed process. From my experience, this is one of the best improvements in how foreign embassies treat Nigerians seeking visas to their country. The professionalism and service excellence displayed by the VFS staff is very commendable. Compared to the previous system of obtaining Chinese Visas, this new process is made in heaven. In Lagos, the office is located at Churchgate Building, former Afribank Street, (Street adjacent Nigeria Law School, Victoria Island.

The most important documents cutting across all visa types are the letter of invitation from the company/institution asking you to come over for whatever purpose, and the letter of invitation from the Foriegn Affairs Office in China. If you intend to apply in Lagos, ensure your letter from Foriegn Affairs Office in China is addressed to the Consulate General, P.R. China in Lagos, Nigeria, while Abuja letters are addressed to Embassy of P.R. China in Nigeria (this little information is very critical).

First time visitors to China and those that last went to China years ago are usually interviewed, while those that have been to China in the recent past are only required to submit their documents. Visas are usually ready within 5 working days, but it can be shorter depending on need. As a first timer to China, I did my interview on a Monday, collected my passport and visa on Tuesday (express service but prepare to pay double) and traveled on Wednesday. I was particularly pleased with the express service.

Visa fee - N31,250

4 Likes

Re: CartNG Goes To China! by CartNG: 7:58pm On Nov 10, 2017
Day 0

Thanks to Diamond Bank and Wakanow, I was able to get a ticket to Shanghai on Ethiopian Airways despite getting to the Airport behind schedule. I specially commend the Wakanow staff on duty on Wednesday 08/08/2017 as their responsiveness and support was superlative all the way. Check in and security checks were smooth and we soon boarded. Nigerians dey travel sha!

Did a short layover at Addis Ababa and landed in Shanghai Pudong Airport at about 3.30pm local China time (8hrs ahead of Nigeria).

China Inspection Service (their brand of Immigration) asked me to step aside for further checks and was taken to sit in a waiting area. Was quite relaxed because I knew everything was on point. Was not the only one though (people from various nations white, not-so white and black), so I guess its just random verification. Passport was returned to me 30mins later, no questions asked.

Met Alibaba Team on ground at the airport and headed straight to the hotel, Sheraton Hotel Pudong, Shanghai

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CartNG Goes To China! by CartNG: 8:05pm On Nov 10, 2017
HOTEL REVIEW

Keeping with the Sheraton tradition, the hotel is pretty fantastic. Very few hotels effectively anticipate your needs and provide for them ahead. And every button works! Want to see where I lay my head?

How do you sleep alone on a double bed?

3 Likes

Re: CartNG Goes To China! by yinotinto(f): 8:55pm On Nov 10, 2017
CartNG..... The future!
CartNG:
CartNG.com is Nigeria’s first online marketplace that enables merchants all over Nigeria to sell their goods or services online, regardless of their location within the country. This is in furtherance of its mission to use ecommerce as tool for the empowerment of the youth and the young at heart, and the development of the Nigerian economy.

As an early sign of its coming success, CartNG was invited to China by the world renowned Alibaba Group to understudy its model, network with other stakeholders in the industry across Africa, brainstorm and refine strategies for growing the ecommerce ecosystem in Africa, etc.

Over the next two weeks, it will be my pleasure to take you along for the ride from two perspectives:

1. Business: Discuss themes and thoughts from the sessions in China from a business perspective. I guarantee you that this will be the most enlightening thread on Nairaland about the ecommerce system in Nigeria. You can follow that conversation through this link: https://www.nairaland.com/4169094/cartng-alibaba-journey-china#62258990

2. Travel: Take you on a visual trip with me to China, from the very beginning to experiences in the different cities in China from a travel perspective, from food to culture, transportation, accommodation, etc. Again, this will be the most enlightening and entertaining thread about China on Nairaland.

So lets begin!!!

Re: CartNG Goes To China! by CartNG: 9:09pm On Nov 10, 2017
Internet Connection

Not all websites/apps are accessible in China. Facebook, Whatsapp, All Google Services, Instagram, Twitter, etc are not accessible in Shanghai, though techie people use VPNs to bypass the restrictions. Yahoo is accessible. So when heading to China, plan alternatives for your communication. You can roam your Nigerian network in China, but the usage rates are prohibitive. I currently access the internet using a mifi device that also serves as a power bank.
Re: CartNG Goes To China! by CartNG: 9:31pm On Nov 10, 2017
First Chinese Meal

One of the interesting ways with which the Chinese have preserved their culture is through their food, and restaurants and eateries abound. Chinese people appear to eat out a lot as you hardly see an empty restaurant.

For me however, transiting from Nigerian meals to Chinese meals is a big challenge in my mind as I am not a fan of raw or semi-cooked food, as many of their meals are.

Hooked up with folks from other countries and set out to have our first meal - buffet dinner at a Chinese restaurant. You sit at your table and the food just keeps come.

Here is a cross-section of things yours sincerely had to swallow.

2 Likes

Re: CartNG Goes To China! by CartNG: 9:37pm On Nov 10, 2017
So someone called out Nigerians for their love of pepper. That we eat pepper with a side of food (ie pepper is the main dish grin cheesy)

For that comment, Naija represented by ordering the spiciest meal the restaurant could come up with and this is it! The pepper hot... but Naija can never carry last

2 Likes

Re: CartNG Goes To China! by CartNG: 9:47pm On Nov 10, 2017
Trust guys to wash it all down with alcohol... thankfully this wasn't my table. This beer contains 2.5% alcohol. The guys remarked that is was too light and several bottles of another special drink with 52% shocked alcohol was provided. Some guys can drink sha!

The Chinese have rules for everything, most especially drinking. Refusing to drink with someone can lead to a breach of that relationship. It is however forbidden to persuade or compel a lady to drink alcohol.

2 Likes

Re: CartNG Goes To China! by CartNG: 9:58pm On Nov 10, 2017
We really had a great time this evening. Came back to the room to soak in a well deserved bubble bath.
Re: CartNG Goes To China! by vpaymoney(m): 2:09am On Nov 11, 2017
Epistle
Re: CartNG Goes To China! by chukxie(m): 6:37am On Nov 11, 2017
This is nice. Welcome ! What's your impression of Shanghai? Ensure you visit The Bund (Former European part of Shanghai) and The French Concession (Former French Quarters). Congratulations on being invited to China under the aegis of Alibaba. It's a huge honour! This invitation is a pointer that your company has potentials that Alibaba hope to tape from/into. May you succeed. Btw, were your fingerprints taken at the POE at Shanghai Pudong Airport?
Re: CartNG Goes To China! by CartNG: 10:40am On Nov 11, 2017
chukxie:
This is nice. Welcome ! What's your impression of Shanghai? Ensure you visit The Bund (Former European part of Shanghai) and The French Concession (Former French Quarters). Congratulations on being invited to China under the aegis of Alibaba. It's a huge honour! This invitation is a pointer that your company has potentials that Alibaba hope to tape from/into. May you succeed. Btw, were your fingerprints taken at the POE at Shanghai Pudong Airport?

Thank you for your kind words.

Shanghai is lovely... at least the parts I have visited. Was at the Shanghai Observatory (sited at the 2nd tallest building in the world) yesterday and saw the Bund skyline. Its pretty amazing how much influence the West had in the past.

Fingerprints are taken from everyone at Pudong (my observation).
Re: CartNG Goes To China! by chukxie(m): 11:55am On Nov 11, 2017
CartNG:

Thank you for your kind words.

Shanghai is lovely... at least the parts I have visited. Was at the Shanghai Observatory (sited at the 2nd tallest building in the world) yesterday and saw the Bund skyline. Its pretty amazing how much influence the West had in the past.

Fingerprints are taken from everyone at Pudong (my observation).

Great! All the best to you.
Re: CartNG Goes To China! by CartNG: 7:47pm On Nov 23, 2017
CartNG has been in China over the last 2 weeks closely understudying the Alibaba ecommerce model. This upcoming session is therefore an opportunity to share valuable insights with our esteemed vendors and other ecommerce professionals. Attendance is FREE, but you must PRE-REGISTER to attend.

Date: Sunday, November 26, 2017
Venue: Gbagada, Lagos (Exact location will be forwarded to your mail)
Time: 2pm
Pre-registration Link – www.meetup.cartng.com

AGENDA
1. Sharing Session on the Alibaba Experience and the Future of Ecommerce

2. CartNG and Search Engine Optimization Tips

3. Social Media Marketing & Tools

4. Email Marketing and Tools

5. How to Find Hot Products to Sell Online

6. How to sell your product in China to Chinese consumers

(1) (Reply)

This Chinese City Deters Pedestrian Trying To Cross The Road With Water Spray / Peru - Are There Nigerians There? Would I Find Naija Restaurant? / The Lagos State Scholarship Award. Are U Aware?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.