Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:34 AM

Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? (30017 Views)

New shock absorbers and tokumbo abeg which should i go for / Shock Absorbers Come In!!! / EOD Shock Absorbers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by tballeyy(m): 7:54am On Apr 08, 2018
I will advise u to take ur car to ladipo market, u will get the best of TKB there

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Nwaohafia1: 7:55am On Apr 08, 2018
Populus:
I have a Toyota Camry 2001 (Drop Light). I was advised to change the shock absorbers when I noticed some funny noises each time the car bumped into a gallop. I changed the four shock absorbers in March 2017 and didn't really get value for money because the noise only reduced rather than disapear. I complained to my mechanic and that I wanted a new shock absorber and he told me a tokunbo is far better because the new ones don't last. Now I changed the shock absorbers again last month (October 2017) and it's even worse off! PLEASE I need to know:
1. Is a tokunbo shock absorber truly better than a new one? (Although I think a new one should be better)
2. Where in Festac Town can I get a good mechanic? (Not the flambouyant autoshops that know next to nothing speaking grammer in their air conditioned office.)
3. Where can I get very good shock absorbers? (New or Tokunbo) Note:The ones fitted in my car where bought from Ladipo Market!
4. What is the price range for these Shock absorbers?

GAZZUZZ, CarDoctor et al. Your Input will be highly appreciated.

New has grade by grade. Go to Elizade...they have new ones there. Go to Ladipo, they also have new 'Chinese' one. It depends on your pocket.
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 7:57am On Apr 08, 2018
Troublemaker007:

If you hear price of original shock absorber you go convert to legedis Benz. Not all those nonsense we are buying. I went to a legit Toyota shop to get some parts price quote for my Corolla Sport. Ordinary Stabilizer link i dey for 3500 is 40k, front shock absorber is 140k, back shock is 180k. I pick my car up, put am for head am ran as fast as I can. cheesy
That's the problem with Nigerians but when you explain to them they won't hear. Parts are divided into three categories OEM aftermarket and pre owned what is popularly called direct tokunbo. OEM parts are very expensive thats why they are rarely bought in because no one buys them. Why should I buy a pair of shocks for 200k when I could get a pre owned one for 10k and a low quality aftermarket one for 15k.
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Kashif(m): 7:58am On Apr 08, 2018
Troublemaker007:

If you hear price of original shock absorber you go convert to legedis Benz. Not all those nonsense we are buying. I went to a legit Toyota shop to get some parts price quote for my Corolla Sport. Ordinary Stabilizer link i dey for 3500 is 40k, front shock absorber is 140k, back shock is 180k. I pick my car up, put am for head am ran as fast as I can. cheesy

LOL!

But those branded shops markup to high heavens. I doubt if the original shocks are that expensive.

I am currently looking for original kyb. Was told 45k for front and 40k for rear, having doubts....the kyb I installed in the front did not last
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by sacramento1212: 7:59am On Apr 08, 2018
Troublemaker007:

Brake pad over 20k! That means I won’t change brake pad in the next 10 years be that. Ever since I changed the tie-rod and ball join in my corolla Sport I no longer feel the car again. embarassed

Yes over 20k. You can confirm this from a reliable source. The difference is that it will last more than the 3k own. Anything original for Toyota is expensive but the fake parts are much, very cheap, the brand can tolerate abuse and there are plenty mechanic available to handle repairs that's the reason for the madness on Toyota.

German vehicle is it for me any day and anytime. Atleast you get to enjoy a lot more compared to the Toyota
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Kashif(m): 8:01am On Apr 08, 2018
CHISPAREPARTS:

That's the problem with Nigerians but when you explain to them they won't hear. Parts are divided into three categories OEM aftermarket and pre owned what is popularly called direct tokunbo. OEM parts are very expensive thats why they are rarely bought in because no one buys them. Why should I buy a pair of shocks for 200k when I could get a pre owned one for 10k and a low quality aftermarket one for 15k.

I won't touch a used shock, even for free. My last experience was installing a pair in Lagos, and having both go flat on getting to the East next day!

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by sacramento1212: 8:02am On Apr 08, 2018
Kashif:

LOL!

But those branded shops markup to high heavens. I doubt if the original shocks are that expensive.

I am currently looking for original kyb. Was told 45k for front and 40k for rear, having doubts....the kyb I installed in the front did not last

Kyb is not even original Toyota brand but just that it's better than other brands sold in the market. If Kyb is being sold for 50k, the Toyota will be sold for close to 100k.
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by mu2sa2: 8:03am On Apr 08, 2018
The " funny noises" Op is talking about seem common with camry. Somebody on a US website related the same experience - they changed all the necessary parts for him and this drumming sound persisted. l was recently given a ride in a Camry ( I think it's the type called tiny light) and I observed the car was making those funny noises - the driver said "that's how the car is"!
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by antobrige: 8:07am On Apr 08, 2018
need new shock ? buy from Toyota company.............

but i can guarantee that first grade of tukunbo shock last more than those new shock in the market.....as far that u did not buy nigeria used shocking thinking that is tokunbo shock...

i can help u with highest grade one of tokunbo shock with guarantee.....off-course u can give it a try....

check my handle.............
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Jazzlite: 8:10am On Apr 08, 2018
sacramento1212:

Kyb is not even original Toyota brand but just that it's better than other brands sold in the market. If Kyb is being sold for 50k, the Toyota will be sold for close to 100k.
Gazzuzz timifakay come and clarify this
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 08, 2018
Buy new kyb OEM shocks

thats the correct answer so far, noise in the shocks doesnt mean they re bad, you ve got to check your control arms, tracking arms, ball joints and even brake callipers too, lazy mechanics will attribut noise to shocks cos thry re too lazy and incompeyent to do a thourough job.
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Kashif(m): 8:12am On Apr 08, 2018
sacramento1212:

Kyb is one of Toyota's OEM suppliers. Others are Bilstein and Tokico. It depends on application and region.

The issue is getting original kyb. When they make for manufacturers, it is branded accordingly, and the prices are very high. When they make for aftermarket, they come in their own names, and cheaper. They don't compromise on the AM quality though.
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by masterpix(m): 8:13am On Apr 08, 2018
Populus:
I have a Toyota Camry 2001 (Drop Light). I was advised to change the shock absorbers when I noticed some funny noises each time the car bumped into a gallop. I changed the four shock absorbers in March 2017 and didn't really get value for money because the noise only reduced rather than disapear. I complained to my mechanic and that I wanted a new shock absorber and he told me a tokunbo is far better because the new ones don't last. Now I changed the shock absorbers again last month (October 2017) and it's even worse off! PLEASE I need to know:
1. Is a tokunbo shock absorber truly better than a new one? (Although I think a new one should be better)
2. Where in Festac Town can I get a good mechanic? (Not the flambouyant autoshops that know next to nothing speaking grammer in their air conditioned office.)
3. Where can I get very good shock absorbers? (New or Tokunbo) Note:The ones fitted in my car where bought from Ladipo Market!

go for New in ladipo market look for genuine person
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Jazzlite: 8:15am On Apr 08, 2018
masterpix:

go for New in ladipo market look for genuine person
More like looking for a saint in a brothel.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Kashif(m): 8:19am On Apr 08, 2018
Jazzlite:

More like looking for a saint in a brothel.

LOL! Or looking for a virgin in a maternity ward!

5 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by sacramento1212: 8:23am On Apr 08, 2018
Kashif:

Kyb is one of Toyota's OEM suppliers. Others are Bilstein and Tokico. It depends on application and region.

The issue is getting original kyb. When they make for manufacturers, it is branded accordingly, and the prices are very high. When they make for aftermarket, they come in their own names, and cheaper. They don't compromise on the AM quality though.

Correct, but i doubt you can get an original KYB for 40k or 45k because that price isn't realistic. The prices are there on amazon.com excluding shipping and other charges.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 08, 2018
Populus:

Yea...But a mechanic who truly knows his onions should be able to spot the difference!
all mechanics are fraudsters in nature

3 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Jazzlite: 8:26am On Apr 08, 2018
Onyochejohn:
all mechanics are fraudsters in nature
Stereotyping don't let Gazzuzz and co read this.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Nobody: 8:37am On Apr 08, 2018
if you are close to mile2 and you know beggar park where they sell cars,there is a forte oil filling station there,ask for oga mike,he sells auto parts,you would get an original tokunbo shock absorber there.trust me on this. His number is 0-8-0-3-3-4-8-1-0-2-4
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by naturalwaves: 8:38am On Apr 08, 2018
Populus:

Is it not a brand new shock absorber that turns to Tokunbo after use??

3 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by RealGucci: 8:39am On Apr 08, 2018
i hear funny noises when im on a bad road.or climbing ujtarred road esp from the front tyres.
my fuel guage shows tank empty but i topped it qith 4000naira fuel.
the a/c compressor burnt afta 3months of usage
dis d second one im changing.

engine seater is broken
when i kick start it takes abt 6seconds before it picks which not supposed to be so.
door lock always returns back when i central lock it
remote does not open or lock again
i have to open it using the key
no engine issues
no gear issues.

its a 2008 crv
i think suspension is bad cause when i park its not always straight.its always like i park sideways.
af been to 4diff alignment shops including total
its always the same result afta some days later
im fed up.
mechanics have damaged everything.
epp me
so far af wasted close to 120k
both on tyres..ac..compressor..radiator.faulty guage filter replace..alignments.wheel balancing...is it a crime to drive crv
i need help

3 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Kashif(m): 8:44am On Apr 08, 2018
sacramento1212:

Correct, but i doubt you can get an original KYB for 40k or 45k because that price isn't realistic. The prices are there on amazon.com excluding shipping and other charges.

Comparing online prices now, I think 40/45k is within range. Coscharis has the franchise here, and these local resellers buy from them. I am sure Coscharis could get better bargain than smaller Amazon resellers.
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by madgoat(m): 8:52am On Apr 08, 2018
Troublemaker007:

grin grin grin
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by oluwaseunla(m): 9:00am On Apr 08, 2018
How can you even ascertain for how long a Tokunbo shock absorber has been in use? That is the disadvantage of going for so called Tokunbo shock absorber. A shock absorber will go bad after a certain mileage. The higher the quality of shocks, the longer the mileage.

Don't let me even start on that crappy Chinese clones we call brand new shocks in our open market.

You need shocks, get original KYBs and you are good for the next few years. I know people that are still on their KYBs after 3 years, as bad as Nigerian roads are.

Don't be pennywise and pound foolish.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by VolvoS60(m): 9:08am On Apr 08, 2018
OP has probably sorted himself out since. cheesy

The funny noises he was hearing may have come from other parts. I had to perform a complete suspension overhaul on a 2008 model toyota RAV4 in December 2016 and it was a nightmare sad Had to change:

Lower control arm bushings (front and rear)
Stabilizer linkage (front)
Ball joints
Outer tie rod ends
Struts
Strut mounts
Strut support pads Coil spring insulators/seats (2nd hand)
Rear shock absorbers.

Even after changing all these parts, the funny noises persisted. I also had to change the brake calipers (front and rear) and front disks because the ones on the car were shot to pieces and could not be 'managed' any further. And yet the funny noises wouldn't go away.

While trying to check on the inner tie rods, mechanic stripped the steering rack and found out the steering rack had died a long time ago - the lubricant/grease had long dried out and the boots had let in water and rusted out the rack. It then made perfect sense - I had been trying to track a major suspension noise for years and the dead steering rack was the offender. Got a new steering rack and yet noises still wouldn't go away. angry

While tracking these noise-making spirits that refused to be exorcised, we then found out that some engine mounts were bad. These were replaced. We also found out by accident that the CV joint boots had also let in a lot of water/mud over the years and the CV joint grease had turned into some kind of 'emulsion'. angry Mechanic cleaned out the joints, put in fresh grease and replaced the boot clips/retainers.

But even after all this, the noises remained. angry angry By now, both mechanic and customer were very tired. Mechanic then decided to do a complete check and re-tightening of all nuts and bolts on suspension parts, engine bay area and the body/chassis. It took time but the noisemakers were finally, finally expelled!

Our roads are something else. One year of normal road use of a car in Nigeria is equal to 15 years hard road labour in some other countries. undecided

Unfortunately, in a space of 8 months, the new steering rack, stabilizer linkages, ball joints and outer tie rod ends were all shot. angry angry But that's a story for another day.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by oluwaseunla(m): 9:12am On Apr 08, 2018
VolvoS60:

OP has probably sorted himself out since. cheesy

The funny noises he was hearing may have come from other parts. I had to perform a complete suspension overhaul on a toyota RAV4 late 2017 and it was a nightmare sad Had to change:

Lower control arm bushings (front and rear)
Stabilizer linkage (front)
Ball joints
Outer tie rod ends
Struts
Strut mounts
Strut support pads (2nd hand)
Rear shock absorbers.

Even after changing all these parts, the funny noises persisted. I also had to change the brake calipers (front and rear) and front disks because the ones on the car were shot to pieces and could not be 'managed further'. And yet the funny noises wouldn't go away.

While trying to check on the inner tie rods, mechanic stripped the steering rack and found out the steering rack had died a long time ago - the lubricant/grease had long dried out and the boots had let in water and rusted out the rack. It then made perfect sense - I had been trying to track a major suspension noise for years and the dead steering rack was the offender. Got a new steering rack and yet noises still wouldn't go away. angry

While tracking these noise-making spirits that refused to be exorcised, we then found out that some engine mounts were bad. These were replaced. We also found out by accident that the CV joint boots had also let in a lot of water/mud over the years and the CV joint grease had turned into some kind of 'emulsion'. angry Mechanic cleaned out the joints, replaced with fresh grease, replaced the boot clips.

Even after replacing the engine mounts, the noises remained. By now, mechanic and customer were both very tired. Mechanic then decided to do a complete check and re-tightening of all nuts and bolts on suspension parts, engine bay area and the body/chassis. It took time but the noisemakers were finally, finally expelled!

Our roads are something else. One year of normal road use of a car in Nigeria is equal to 15 years hard road labour in some other countries. undecided

In a space of 8 months, the new steering rack, stabilizer linkages, ball joints and outer tie rod ends were all shot. angry angry But that's a story for another day.

For some reasons, I find this hilarious. Sorry ehn!!! cheesy cheesy

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by dammytosh: 9:13am On Apr 08, 2018
New OEM is better.

The reason why we talk Tokunbo vs new is because most Tokunbos were bought as new OEM originally.

Most new parts are fake as anything and hence does not last.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:15am On Apr 08, 2018
Kashif:

I won't touch a used shock, even for free. My last experience was installing a pair in Lagos, and having both go flat on getting to the East next day!

nah fcukaniser work be dat grin

I see it all the time, but there are some of my people who do not compromise, they call me when the engine is still attached to subframe, just before dismantling.
Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by Jazzlite: 9:18am On Apr 08, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

nah fcukaniser work be dat grin

I see it all the time, but there are some of my people who do not compromise, they call me when the engine is still attached to subframe, just before dismantling.
Of course they don't want your wahala.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by patani(m): 9:22am On Apr 08, 2018
Populus:

There is a particular support rubber connecting the body to chassis in camry. Just under the front suspension. You will need to get this replaced to stop the noise. It’s about 5k in Ladipo

2 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by ibro2much(m): 9:49am On Apr 08, 2018
Well,I would say different strokes for different people,when my Toyota corolla shock absorber started giving unnecessary noise,I purchased a new Chinco shocks but it did not last me for four (4)months before packing up.
Then,I was forced to go to ladipo market to source for a genuine tokunbo shock absorber and linkage,and not the one's that has been worked upon.up till now (1year plus )the shock absorber is still serving me well.

N:B
There are genuine direct tokunbo shock absorber and there are one that have been worked upon.if you want to purchase direct tokunbo one,ask the seller to remove the spring from the shocks and try pressing it down forcefully,it should gradually return back to its original position.if you press it and it fails to return back,its bad.
If it is too hard to press,it must have been worked upon.

As a safe buying guide,you should never buy a tokunbo shock absorber with the spring on it.

2 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? by ironheart(m): 10:05am On Apr 08, 2018
paix:
Yeah, I bought 2 new front kyb absorbers for my Avensis car (2010) just yesterday.
how much?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Major Cause Of Tyre Burst Accidents In Nigeria ( Pictures Included ) / Flashback Of Cars That Rock Nigeria Roads In The 80s (photos) / Photo Of The New Lagos Road Worthiness Certificate Issued Last Week Friday.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.