Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask (1398 Views)

How TECNO Fooled Their Fans On April Fool's Day, Fans Reacts / Identical Twins Who Fooled The Iphone X Face ID / Security Firm Bypassed Iphone X Face ID With 3D Face Mask Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by Reediano(m): 1:03pm On Nov 13, 2017
Last year, Apple pulled a big one on thier fans when they removed the 3.5mm audio earphone jack from their iPhone 7 smartphone. Although that came with a lot of critics, many iPhone users finally got used to it and even some android brands surprisingly joined in the trend.
[img]http://2.bp..com/-ELbYpJ0ksCU/Wgl7a305CQI/AAAAAAAARnE/h8fHHPnBJboXqpJb3L087c_KG8-455lEgCLcBGAs/s1600/yomitech.com_iphonex_face-id.jpg[/img]
Now iPhone decided to go a step further by scrapping the Fingerprint Sensor (FPS) on their latest iPhone X, replacing it with a Face ID scanner. As expected, that didn't go down well with a lot of iPhone users as a lot of people questioned the level of security but Apple claims that Face ID is so secure that the odds of a random person using their face to break into someone's iPhone X is one in one million.

Now it seems like a security firm has been able to defeat the new Face ID scanner on the new iPhone X with a mask. According to the security firm which is known Bkav, they claim to understand how AI works on Face ID and was able to bypass the feature and trick it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4YQRLQVixM
Different materials were used to create certain areas of the mask. For example, silicone was employed for the nose and 3D printing was used on other areas. The security firm says that Apple is relying too much on the feature's Artificial Intelligence.

According to Ngo Tuan Anh,Vice President of Cyber Security, Bkav,
"The mask is crafted by combining 3D printing with makeup and 2D images, besides some special processing on the cheeks and around the face, where there are large skin areas, to fool AI of Face ID."
According to Bkav, the mask which cost $150 has the ability to break into the iPhone X, the mask could be used to learn personal secrets from political leaders, business executives and billionaires. The firm says that facial recognition is not a good security tool and says that when it comes to biometrics, a fingerprint scanner is the best way to keep intruders from breaking into your phone.
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by agitator: 1:49pm On Nov 13, 2017
i-mugus won't like this ohhhhh grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by dvkot(m): 3:27pm On Nov 13, 2017
I'll just stick with "1245" pass code better than all this fingerprint and eyescanner
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by Acidosis(m): 3:44pm On Nov 13, 2017
bad market for i-sheeples grin grin
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by ExAngel007(f): 3:53pm On Nov 13, 2017
jail break 8.0 grin
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by Lanretoye(m): 4:10pm On Nov 13, 2017
apple,your defence please?...
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by sinaj(f): 7:36pm On Nov 13, 2017
dvkot:
I'll just stick with "1245" pass code better than all this fingerprint and eyescanner
Serzly it remains the best because one's fingerprint can be used without his knowledge when he is asleep unlike passwords nd pass codes.
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by dvkot(m): 8:45pm On Nov 13, 2017
sinaj:
Serzly it remains the best because one's fingerprint can be used without his knowledge when he is asleep unlike passwords nd pass codes.
thats for sure sis, passcode is the best
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by Kronical(m): 9:39pm On Nov 13, 2017
Passcode still remains the best option. I once read about a hacker that hacked someone's fingerprint using the subject's picture..
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by Nobody: 9:45pm On Nov 13, 2017
maybe I am just too lazy, I hate anything like locking phone with password. if it where even possible for my phone light to be on always self.

1 Like

Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by Reediano(m): 6:47pm On Nov 14, 2017
sinaj:

But the FPS is no doubt the fastest and most convenient...
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by lastbaff(m): 7:35pm On Nov 14, 2017
ENDTIMEgist:
maybe I am just too lazy, I hate anything like locking phone with password. if it where even possible for my phone light to be on always self.
You're not alone.
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by Nobody: 7:53pm On Nov 14, 2017
lastbaff:

You're not alone.

because this password matter na stress to me, but the way some people like am I go just dey Wonder

Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by Reediano(m): 9:32pm On Nov 14, 2017
ENDTIMEgist:

because this password matter na stress to me, but the way some people like am I go just dey Wonder
same here bruh...

One reason I still prefer the FPS... Kinda easier
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by sinaj(f): 10:37am On Nov 15, 2017
Reediano:

But the FPS is no doubt the fastest and most convenient...
we talking about security not convenience wink
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by MarkWayne89: 10:40am On Nov 15, 2017
I saw this morning that a kid unlocked his mother's iPhoneX because... they resemble each other.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/10-year-old-unlocks-his-Mothers-Apple-iPhone-X-as-Face-ID-gets-fooled_id99813
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by Reediano(m): 11:15am On Nov 15, 2017
sinaj:

Yea... Code still remains the most secured..
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by Reediano(m): 11:18am On Nov 15, 2017
MarkWayne89:
I saw this morning that a kid unlocked his mother's iPhoneX because... they resemble each other.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/10-year-old-unlocks-his-Mothers-Apple-iPhone-X-as-Face-ID-gets-fooled_id99813

Another reason why I will pick Samsung's iris scanner over apple's face ID....

1 Like

Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by donhils: 11:25am On Nov 15, 2017
sinaj:
And you think someone cannot peep and get your code? Or even go the extra mile of installing a camera to get the code. I saw this in a movie.
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by sinaj(f): 9:02pm On Nov 15, 2017
donhils:

And you think someone cannot peep and get your code? Or even go the extra mile of installing a camera to get the code. I saw this in a movie.
securities or code can always be hacked.
I was only trying to say that the fingerprint scanner isnt safe to use for a person that has classified files because it can easily be opened.
I stopped using it when my sibling opened my phone when I was sleeping by just placing the phone on my finger. I had to go back to using password. I am still waiting for them to open my head when am sleeping to get the password tho.
Re: Apple Iphone X Face ID Fooled And Bypassed By Security Firm Using A Face Mask by Reediano(m): 11:30pm On Nov 15, 2017
sinaj:
securities or code can always be hacked.
I was only trying to say that the fingerprint scanner isnt safe to use for a person that has classified files because it can easily be opened.
I stopped using it when my sibling opened my phone when I was sleeping by just placing the phone on my finger. I had to go back to using password. I am still waiting for them to open my head when am sleeping to get the password tho.

Hahaha grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Truth About How Google Makes Personalized Battery Life Prediction For Phones / Please Is This Charger Original? / Small Loan Using Your Android Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.