Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,713 members, 7,837,605 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Switzerland Books A Place In Russia 2018, As Nir Loses Out. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Switzerland Books A Place In Russia 2018, As Nir Loses Out. (430 Views)

Portugal Will Play North Macedonia For A Place At The 2022 World Cup / Brazil Vs Switzerland: World Cup - 1 - 1 (Full Time) / Meet The 32 World Cup Coaches In Russia 2018, As They Speak About Their Chances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Switzerland Books A Place In Russia 2018, As Nir Loses Out. by dabblesports(m): 3:53pm On Nov 13, 2017
Last night heralded the second leg of the play-off between the Northern Irish (NIR) team and the Swiss national team. It was indeed a dramatic night and 90 minutes of a pulsating encounter.

O’ Neill’s men’s draw in Basel, Switzerland last night was not enough as Switzerland progressed to the finals thanks to a controversial penalty in the first leg.

Northern Ireland finished second in their qualifying group behind group leaders, Germany.
"There's a devastated group of players in there and I couldn't be more proud of them," said O'Neill.
"I could name them all - they were fabulous. We don't always have top-level players but we have top-level characters.

"What these players have done to be at this stage - to take a team like Switzerland right to the last minute of the play-offs over two legs - is an amazing achievement."

It was a typically determined display in Basel from Northern Ireland, who rode their luck at times but gave it their all in pursuit of a first World Cup appearance since 1986.
Haris Seferovic was woeful on the night as he missed numerous chances to end the tie in favour of an increasingly nervous home side

and Jonny Evans came agonizingly close to taking the game to extra time when his injury-time header was cleared off the line by Ricardo Rodriguez.
It left Northern Ireland to reflect on what might have been and a first leg in Belfast that was decided by a controversial penalty, awarded when Corry Evans was judged to have blocked Xherdan Shaqiri's shot with his hand in the box when it clearly hit his back.

They were also aggrieved by a late sliding tackle, early in the game, on Stuart Dallas by Fabian Schar, for which the defender was booked but could easily have been sent off.
O'Neill's achievements during his six years as Northern Ireland boss, which includes leading them to their first European Championship in 2016, has led to him being linked with a number of club jobs in England and the vacant Scotland managerial post.
However, he refused to comment on his future after Sunday's game.

"I'm contracted until 2020 and tonight am here for my players. That's it, I'm not looking any further than that," he said.
The 48-year-old did have some advice for the experienced members of his squad, who may be considering their own international future after this defeat.

"I've told them not to rush in to any decisions," he added. "They should discuss that with Aaron Hughes, who retired five years ago but was here tonight. This isn't the time to think about that."

Northern Ireland captain Steven Davis is hoping O'Neill remains as national team boss.
"He has been integral in terms of everything we have done right. Everybody loves working with him," said the Southampton midfielder.
"It is only natural that there will be other parties interested in him because he has done so well, but from a selfish point of view we would love to continue this journey with him at the helm."

In the other play-off game between Croatia and Greece, it was too little, too late for the Greek side as their outcome of the first leg results (4 -1) haunted them, hence making it impossible for a possible comeback so as to secure a ticket for Russia 2018.

Croatia was the favoured team, hence booked a place at next year’s World Cup billed for Russia.

SOURCE:http://www.dabbsports.com/2017/11/switzerland-books-place-in-russia-2018.html

(1) (Reply)

Complete Team-by-team Guide To All The Teams Featuring In Russia Next Summer / 2odds Betting(101) / Cristiano Ronaldo Crowned Best European Sportsperson Of The Year.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.