Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

Can We Keep It Short? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Can We Keep It Short? (616 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can We Keep It Short? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 9:02pm On Nov 13, 2017
Anyone that knows me on this board knows i'm a huge sucker for short stories. I feel like there are loads of stories that can be told in less than 1,000 words (and really, that's stretching it). Unfortunately, it seems like writing long serials is the norm here - and there is nothing wrong with that. However, while there are some stories that are better told over a stretch, there are others that are best told in as few words as possible. Knowing which is which is important as a writer, whether you're writing professionally or writing is your hobby. Some stories get boring the longer they get so know exactly when you need to cut out all the extra lines and words and keep it as short and direct to the point as possible. Don't be so driven by page numbers and page views - they don't equate quality. Just make sure that whichever format you're going for best expresses the story you are trying to tell. Also, keep your readers in mind. You don't want to bore them with epistles the likes of which would make Saint Paul wonder why his letters look so short and few. If you're going for a serially told story, then it has to be engaging enough to keep your readers reading and it has to be good for the story too - nobody wants to read ten pages of written work and end up asking themselves if it makes sense at all. In summary, when writing, ask yourself - is there any way I can make this shorter but still worth reading?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can We Keep It Short? by illicit(m): 11:36pm On Nov 13, 2017
I like short stories too. Reading and writing long stories no longer catches my interest like it used to....
Short stories have become my favorite in short (pun intended)

1 Like

Re: Can We Keep It Short? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 12:50am On Nov 14, 2017
illicit:
I like short stories too. Reading and writing short stories no longer catches my interest like it used to....
Short stories have become my favorites in short (pun intended)

Hehe, thumbs up for that!

1 Like

Re: Can We Keep It Short? by Divepen1(m): 8:00am On Nov 14, 2017
Thanks. Now, this has helped me sure I'm making the right decisions.
I just finished editing one of my works and it got to 52k words
while the second one is in its 31st thousand words. I wanted to make the latter as short as possible. So thanks for this timely advice.
Re: Can We Keep It Short? by Akposb(m): 8:26am On Nov 14, 2017
Few people like short stories here and it is often the case that when you end the story, they might tell you to continue. Short stories are as necessary as long or serialised stories.
Re: Can We Keep It Short? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 5:50pm On Nov 15, 2017
Akposb:
Few people like short stories here and it is often the case that when you end the story, they might tell you to continue. Short stories are as necessary as long or serialised stories.

Well, the reader can't tell you how long the story should be. I mean, it feels great when readers ask for more but is it good for the story? I mean, even J.K Rowling had to put a pause on Harry Potter despite Potterheads absolutely refusing to accept that the story was done. You don't want to drag it on for so long that it begins to feel like you're writing for writing sake. As with everything else, it's best to bow out when the ovation is loudest.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Lost In The Wind By Inuwa Usman / The Unexpected. Love N Romance / The Night It Happened- Part Two

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.