Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,668 members, 7,816,748 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power (4764 Views)

Dangote Pledges To Assist FG To Turnaround Nigeria’s Economy / South West And North Central States Picked For Nuclear Power Stations / Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Beaf: 5:34pm On Mar 24, 2010
I am quite sure the US can site a nuclear power plant in Nigeria at warp speed. Remember they proposed to help Jonathan with 10,000 Mega Watts (not our 6,000 target shocked) by the end of this year? Perhaps, this is how they hope to achieve it.

I say a big YES to the nuclear power plant. There are two things we must make sure of though;
[list]
[li]Nigerians must have oversight of all technologies with the firm view of taking over[/li]
[li]There must be a well defined, researched and acceptable means of disposing our nuclear waste[/li]
[/list]
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by agathamari(f): 5:37pm On Mar 24, 2010
am i the only one terrified by this idea?  nuclear reactors have to be maintained by very strict codes, NEPA cant even maintain power lines or transformers.  a slight lapse in maintenance is going to lead to another Chernobyl or 3mile.   very bad idea.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by debosky(m): 5:38pm On Mar 24, 2010
otawa:

and you think French government would allow you tap into this?

cant we just try to make 'table spoon' first before jumping to NUCLEAR plant?

The uranium will be SOLD - if you can pay, you will have it. After all, there is uranium in the test reactor we have at present so what are you going on about?  

Besides, is that the only source of uranium in the world? There are numerous uranium deposits in Cross River, Adamawa, Plateau and others.

Every country in the world is diversifying its energy mix and we must do so as well. Obviously till the issues in the ND are fully solved, gas based power generation will continue to suffer interruptions. Hydro power is seasonal and every other power source has its pros and cons. The intelligent thing is to assess all the options and make a choice on the optimal mix for the country.

By all means the country should seek to generate electricity from nuclear power stations. If we are unable to build or manage them via the government, sub-contract to competent companies to manage.

Granted that managing and controlling nuclear facilities will be a daunting task for Nigeria, but that should not deter due consideration and implementation if justified.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Beaf: 5:43pm On Mar 24, 2010
agathamari:

am i the only one terrified by this idea? nuclear reactors have to be maintained by very strict codes, NEPA cant even maintain power lines or transformers. a slight lapse in maintenance is going to lead to another Chernobyl or 3mile. very bad idea.

When we realise the sort of reliable, yet monstrous plant in our backyard, we will sit up. The people manning nuclear plants in other countrie are flesh and blood like us, they aren't spirits. Nigerians can do it too.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Spyker: 6:00pm On Mar 24, 2010
Kx:

Government officials are encouraging it because of the
huge dollar kickbacks and funds embezzlement that will go with it.
However,if they pull it through,we should be ready to add it to the long list below:

NITEL
NEPA
NIPOST
AJEOKUTA STEEL COMPLEX
NIGERIA RAILWAY
NIGERIA SAT
NFA
ETC

GBAM, you said it. the list is endless
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by agathamari(f): 6:49pm On Mar 24, 2010
Beaf:

When we realise the sort of reliable, yet monstrous plant in our backyard, we will sit up. The people manning nuclear plants in other countrie are flesh and blood like us, they aren't spirits. Nigerians can do it too.
there is an issue with that theory though. the sight of it will make people relize its dangers? people here dont even understand or care about the dangers of oil and gas piplines here even after they explode. there is no civil defense system in place to warn the public about leaks or any other issue with the plants. the roads are in such disrepair there is no possible way to evacuate should there be an issue. hell there isnt even a organized fire department yet alone anything like hazmat to deal with containment in an emergency that is if they have gas/supplies and manpower and if they can get through on the roads. grant it yes there are some people here that are able to do this but what percentage? were talking a country with a non existant infrustructure and a government system that can tell its head from its a/ss which is clearly evident with the cr/ap going on for the last few months in the capital. this isnt some science experiment where you can clean up and start again when things go wrong. "duck and cover" isnt going to help people here when if things go wrong. nigeria has a long way to go before they can handle this type of plant
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Eddeux(m): 7:01pm On Mar 24, 2010
I don't think Nigeria can be trusted with nuclear power unless the government takes responsibility and ensures that no terrorists get within 20 miles of the facility! Oh well, maybe it could solve their power shortage, but I ask, why not use solar or wind power instead? A wind farm could be set up in 6 months and could create steady jobs seeing they need to be constantly maintained, I swear I rarely hear this idea being used by African countries that lack adequate power supply. If the Europeans can come in and make a huge solar field for power to be exported to Europe then why not give it a try in Nigeria?
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by hackney(m): 8:54pm On Mar 24, 2010
If there's money to be embezzled the politicians will clamour for it to be built. Simple.
After all the US, UK amd some european countries still dump toxic waste in nigeria.

Hazardous electronic products are dumped into the nigerian market every minute.
The prayer the home-based nigerians should be praying is that no country offers to come and build it.

Even if the US refuses to build it for naija because of our lack of maintenance culture, what about lawless
entities like china?
China that you can go to and have them make you fake ANYTHING.
Over 62% of pain killers in naija is fake from china.
So is 96% of sun shades.
lmao
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by ocelot2006(m): 8:58pm On Mar 24, 2010
The use of nuclear energy isn't a bad idea. HOWEVER, I'm really concerned about its utilization here in Nigeria due to our VERY poor maintenance culture. The last thing we want is another Chernobyl in our backyard. Then there's the issue of security.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Igbanibo: 9:12pm On Mar 24, 2010
We should not build a nuclear powerplant, because we have not mastered maintaining our regular gas and hydroelectric power stations. Going for nuclear power is like going from elementary school to PhD, which is not very logical. If we maintain our plant properly, we have enough gas to power them and provide enough electricity for a good chunk of not only Nigeria, but West Africa. It is just a plot to chop more money O!
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by CyberG: 11:16pm On Mar 24, 2010
1. To use the kinetic energy possessed by flowing water to generate, Nigeria failed and is failing! How many MW do we have now?
2. To produce electricity from natural gas, Nigeria is failing!
3. To boil water until it turns into steam using coal, natural gas, etc to power steam turbines to produce electricity, Nigeria failed!
4. To use renewable sources of energy like wind and solar, Nigeria (as a country) has not begun!
5. To manufacture simple consumer goods (like tissue paper, kitchen utensils, simple tools) to appreciable quality, Nigeria still waiting!
6. To run all its national systems like PHCN, Water Corporation, NITEL, INEC, EFCC, Railways, Shipping, Airline. . .we know the story!

BUT all of a sudden the failing country in several simpler issues of life NOW will build and operate a NUCLEAR POWER PLANT? Hahaha. . .like this has anything to do with people having Ph.D's in Nuclear Engineering or Nuclear Physics! Since ordinary accidents have been claiming several hundreds per month in Nigeria, nothing has really changed! The roads in fact are getting worse, hospitals are getting "worser", Highway Patrol is taking more bribes, FRSC is collecting more illegal toll from road users. . .and when disaster happens, then all the officials become "anonymous" or cannot comment until they have been briefed! That is when phone calls / text messages sent to their phones are not answered! Yet, NIGERIA wants NUCLEAR POWER?? What of Nigeria's security situation? A time bomb waiting to go off just will get a big help from Boko Haram or some al-majiri terrorist! What a smart way to make a nuke and turn it on yourself. . .Nigeria! Is a nuclear explosion something you can dodge from? Like quickly run inside your house and hide under the bed? Or, enter your car and drive very fast before it gets to you??

Nigeria, your choice but this will be one way Nigeria will successfully kill a lot of its citizens most of them too poor to care if this is built right in their backyard!
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by ziga: 11:52pm On Mar 24, 2010
We shouldn't even be flying planes because we have not yet mastered the normal use of our roads, not to talk of our waterways.

I propose that all airplanes in Nigeria be grounded with immediate effect, and every Nigerian should revert back to walking because that is what we deserve!!!
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by biina: 11:59pm On Mar 24, 2010
@debosky
Am not sure you are familiar with the lax supervision and poor maintenance culture that plagues various sectors in Nigeria. Many will still remember the ikeja cantonment bomb blast and the attendant loss of lives.
We simply dont have the infrastructure and culture in place to support a full size nuclear reactor, and there is no immediate need for it as we have enough fossil fuels to meet our power needs.
I am fine with planning for the future by creating the relevant labs and carrying out research, but we also need to improve the health sector (not sure we can detect and treat radiation poisoning in Naija), emergency response etc Lets walk before running at breakneck speed.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by ziga: 12:36am On Mar 25, 2010
The first time for everything in life is a trying period. Nobody ever gets it right the first time. But that does not mean we shouldn't try things out.

It happens everyday in life. When you drive for the first time, you are a risk to every other road user but you still try until you become good. That is why you need experienced people to guide you.

Seeking help and guidance about nuclear power use from experienced countries like the US is a step in the right direction.

My people, let us be more open minded, receptive to new things, and most importantly positive. Good things won't tell you in the beginning that they will end up well. You just have to wait till the end to see, but while we wait, we follow the right guidelines.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by bawomolo(m): 12:45am On Mar 25, 2010
biina:

@debosky
Am not sure you are familiar with the lax supervision and poor maintenance culture that plagues various sectors in Nigeria. Many will still remember the ikeja cantonment bomb blast and the attendant loss of lives.
We simply dont have the infrastructure and culture in place to support a full size nuclear reactor, and there is no immediate need for it as we have enough fossil fuels to meet our power needs.
I am fine with planning for the future by creating the relevant labs and carrying out research, but we also need to improve the health sector (not sure we can detect and treat radiation poisoning in Naija), emergency response etc Lets walk before running at breakneck speed.

i agree with this. We are just not ready for this quantum leap.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by wirinet(m): 9:24am On Mar 25, 2010
ziga:

The first time for everything in life is a trying period. Nobody ever gets it right the first time. But that does not mean we shouldn't try things out.

It happens everyday in life. When you drive for the first time, you are a risk to every other road user but you still try until you become good. That is why you need experienced people to guide you.

Seeking help and guidance about nuclear power use from experienced countries like the US is a step in the right direction.

My people, let us be more open minded, receptive to new things, and most importantly positive. Good things won't tell you in the beginning that they will end up well. You just have to wait till the end to see, but while we wait, we follow the right guidelines.

I understand your sentiments and lots of Nigerians holds your view point, but you have to be able to views our problems from a wider perspective. Our problems goes beyond our inability to manufacture and maintain. It goes to the very root of the level of our social evolution as a people. For a society to reach the Nuclear Age, it needs to pass through an Agricultural age, and industrial Age and information age and a Nuclear Age. We have not even experience an Agricultural revolution (as we have not yet been able to feed our selves), before you talk of an Industrial revolution (ability to manufacture what we need) and you are taking of a nuclear revolution.

The most important thing for us at this phase of our development is Agriculture, we tried to start it in the 70's with various Agricultural programmes like Operation Feed the Nation and Green Revolution, but since then Nigeria had gone to sleep and depends on China, the US and other countries to feed it.

Believe me when i say we are not socially developed enough for Nuclear technology.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by alias64: 10:28am On Mar 25, 2010
Bring it on. Maybe, one day in future will get to do this to South Africa:

[img]http://rhymeswithright.mu.nu/archives/images/middle_finger_flame.jpg[/img]

Lol,  grin   good init
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by furacao(m): 11:45am On Mar 25, 2010
l wonder what they will want back in return,
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by 007ayodeji: 8:38pm On Mar 25, 2010
i think nigerians should be ready to go boom cos these nuclear things has a pecaution.
1 it has to be sited in a restricted area. in naija u will find a power station in areas situated where people lives. omo  i dey see danger cos if this thing flop many people will die 4 it. we are simply not ready 4 dar nuclear technology.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by 007ayodeji: 8:39pm On Mar 25, 2010
i think Nigerians should be ready to go boom cos these nuclear things has an hazard.
1 it has to be sited in a restricted area. in naija u will find a power station in areas situated where people lives. omo  i dey see danger cos if this thing flop many people will die 4 it. we are simply not ready 4 dar nuclear technology.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Rmc1(m): 9:17pm On Mar 25, 2010
ordinary phcn transformers we cant maintain, ennh, go from street to street and see the way transformers dey blow up left right and center due to lack of maintainance and they are talking of nuclear power station, haba that is nothing but an acciedent waiting to happen.

have they thought of the radio active nuclear waste that comes with it and how to dispose it? please lets not decieve our selves nigeria is not ready for nuclear power for now with our low maitaince culture.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by CGKing(m): 12:18am On Mar 26, 2010
We have not been able to manage our powerlines which is a very simple process and has alloowed it to kill innocent citizens now we are pursuing nuclear technology. Wo, i don pack my bag, i dey relocate.

Pursue and finish the technology we v been using since them born us wey we neva master. Dumb folks.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by ziga: 1:24am On Mar 26, 2010
In life, when you attempt to do something that is new and seems unachievable, lots of people will discourage you and say it can never be done.

But if you really want to do it, and you plan properly, you will do it and the same people who discouraged you will congratulate you.

I'm sure we've all experienced this.

So what we should be clamoring for should be proper planning, siting of the nuke plant, implementation, maintenance, and constant reevaluation rather than trying to put down something that will benefit all.

If the implementation is not done properly or evaluations show that the standards are falling then i support that it should be shut down, but otherwise, carry dey go.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by deco2come: 1:45am On Mar 26, 2010
PAPA NEVER BUY THE DOG, PIKINS DON START TO DEY FIGHT
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by DrKnow1(m): 9:43am On Mar 26, 2010
What a bunch of pessimists, can you tell me how many people die needlessly everyday from generator fumes and related accidents? or how many lives we have lost in our hospitals due to the incessant power failures in the course of operation. Do you think Nuclear power would be left solely for the Nigerians Government to control? Do you think IAEA just exists for nothing. Nuclear power generation is the only solution and cheaper way of catering for the power needs of our teeming population of 150 million. Though, there are dangers associated with nuclear energy, but its like any other thing. South Africa already have it, even if we refused to have our own in Nigeria, we are still not safe in the event of a nuclear fall-out in South Africa.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Nobody: 10:00am On Mar 26, 2010
But suppose the Nuclear programme is hijacked by some terrorist elements in our society in order to achieve their dark agenda ?

You know what I mean. grin grin grin grin
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by nex(m): 11:17am On Mar 26, 2010
The USA should read the NPT well and realize it's their duty to build us a Nuclear Power Plant FREE OF CHARGE!

We don't need their assistance, we need them to stop violating the Non Proliferation Treaty which states that the Nuclear Powers will provide nuclear facilities and technology to non nuclear powers, and in return, the non nuclear powers will keep away from developing Nuclear Weapons.

According to that agreement: China, USA, Russia, France, UK, India, and even Pakistan are bound by the treaty to provide us with Nuclear Power Plants and other civilian Nuclear technology while we in return will desist from Nuclear Weapons.

It is because the Nuclear Powers violate the NPT that countries like Israel, Iran, South Africa, and North Korea have to do it themselves and they too are have been accused of violating it. Well, Israel was wise enough to exempt itself from signing that agreement which no one obeys but everyone uses to accuse.

If we want to pay for a nuclear power plant, it should be with South Africa and China.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by tEsLim(m): 12:14pm On Mar 26, 2010
My people die because they lack knowledge. Someone here should google the word 'Zeitgeist'. This people have no plans to help any 3rd world country than to manipulate and put them into debts. America has no favour to do any Bleep.ing country in the world. They're devil no free meals anywhere. And our politician and leaders are so stupid they dont even know whats in. This people will arrange loans from worldbank (paper loans) and put a country in debt and then inturn ask for oil blocks and build there own infrastructures and refineries and drain your country dry. This people are desperate as you can see they looking for all means to get there country back to normal. Poor Africans are next target shit , I sound like a paranoid mfker now shit , i can only explain orally. I'm tired of typing today.

But mark my word !!! America has hidden agenda. Why NUCS na Nuclear what in an unstable country? Where one mad massop group can just take over the nuclear plant? damn think people. Is that the only way to generate electricity? Them and Chevron corrupt fucking company the big corporations are the one controlling the government
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by wirinet(m): 12:49pm On Mar 26, 2010
ziga:

In life, when you attempt to do something that is new and seems unachievable, lots of people will discourage you and say it can never be done.

But if you really want to do it, and you plan properly, you will do it and the same people who discouraged you will congratulate you.

I'm sure we've all experienced this.

So what we should be clamoring for should be proper planning, siting of the nuke plant, implementation, maintenance, and constant reevaluation rather than trying to put down something that will benefit all.

If the implementation is not done properly or evaluations show that the standards are falling then i support that it should be shut down, but otherwise, carry dey go.

Shame on all of you, you people should learn to let go of colo-mentality. We do not always have to ape the white man. Just because the whites use nuclear to generate electricity does not mean we too have to jump into the band wagon. We have enough oil, gas, coal and hydro-power to meet our needs for the next 200 years. These technologies are relatively cheap and easy to adopt. You must learn to perfect simple technology before you can dabble in to complicated ones.

Why don't the US help us with technology for gas turbines, hydo-turbines and even teach us to build transformers and substations. That would be far more useful than nuclear technology.

Why don't they help us with agricultural technology so we do not have to rely on America for all our wheat needs. So we can grow our own wheat or something similar to be able to bake our bread, biscuits and cakes with. What about rice technology.

A country that have no technology to feed itself want to acquire nuclear technology.
A country that cannot maintain simple refinery as they keep burning everyday wants to acquire nuclear technology.
A country than imports candles from china wants to build nuclear reactor.

You guys are a joke.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Ibegbud: 9:46pm On Mar 26, 2010
I'm a prospective electrical engr.nd 4rm buks, articles nd seminars i've attended so far buildin a nuclear power generator in 9ja is using our own hand 2 dig our own grave.saudi is generatin power d same way we generate ours nd consume more than we consume yet dey dnt complain about power failure bt here ordinary egbin power plant we cant manage na nuclear we 1 go manage.i hpe d build it in d north incase anytin goes wrng.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by ziga: 9:56pm On Mar 26, 2010
Ibegbud:

I'm a prospective electrical engr.nd 4rm buks, articles nd seminars i've attended so far buildin a nuclear power generator in 9ja is using our own hand 2 dig our own grave.saudi is generatin power d same way we generate ours  nd consume more than we consume yet dey dnt complain about power failure bt here ordinary egbin power plant we cant manage na nuclear we 1 go manage.i hpe d build it in d north incase anytin goes wrng.

Mister, What is this supposed to mean And u will get vexed when other races make racist comments about you. Keep going like that, we all reap what we sow. angry angry angry
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by CGKing(m): 11:32pm On Mar 26, 2010
The US know Nigeria can do with whats already on ground to better power supply. As them see plenty money still remain after so much stealing, them wan come legitimately par take.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Payoneer Issue / Sell Your BTC, Payoneer And Perfectmoney @ Great Rates. N475/$ Current Buy Rate! / Aims Asset Management Ltd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.