Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero (7722 Views)

BREAKING! Morocco 2014: Okagbare Wins Nigeria’s First Gold Medal / EKO2012: Anambra Stripped Of Gold Medal For Fielding Cameroonian Mercenary / South Africa's 800m Gold Medal Favourite Accuse Of Being A Man Before Race (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by ElRazur: 10:33am On Mar 24, 2010
Richy,

we are all equal under the law. I think the point I am trying to get at is the those who are naturalised after certain date [Please let no one quote me as I am not 100% sure over this] is that when serious crime are committed. The Home office can decide whether their citizenship is stripped away or not. But this is usually in extreme cases - For example Preaching Jihad against UK etc.

Have a read here [see link] It gives an overview of some of the complexities.
http://www.nrcentre.org.uk/downloads/training/OISC%20L1%20-%20Nationality.pdf

Also, if he's got an immigration case pending, he is not doing himself any favours at all.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by RichyBlacK(m): 10:38am On Mar 24, 2010
AngieFan:

I disagree.

This man hasn't the financial means to pay for a big time Lawyer in America. That plus I doubt any Lawyer would risk their reputation and careers to take up a case for a persistent offender who just happened to be illegal. Just like Britain, America has it own fair share of criminals to deal with so why should they have to deal with an illegal one too? Especially one that is a burden on the state finances?

Further more had this case been in America it would have long been done and dusted the first time Vincent's illegal behind broke the law with him back in Lagos where he belongs. To hell with his gold medals! Na Gold medal we dey chop??  As much as I love Britain, I do think that sometimes their compassion can get in the way of common sense. The Americans don't play that. I wonder how much of tax payers money was used to keep this man fed, housed and watered since 2007?

Since you seem to know about America so much, allow me to pose a simple question for you:

What are the eligibility requirements for any person to represent the US in the Olympic games or any similar international event?

I'm asking because I don't know. Thanks.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by RichyBlacK(m): 10:50am On Mar 24, 2010
ElRazur:

Richy,

we are all equal under the law. I think the point I am trying to get at is the those who are naturalised after certain date [Please let no one quote me as I am not 100% sure over this] is that when serious crime are committed. The Home office can decide whether their citizenship is stripped away or not. But this is usually in extreme cases - For example Preaching Jihad against UK etc.

Have a read here [see link] It gives an overview of some of the complexities.
http://www.nrcentre.org.uk/downloads/training/OISC%20L1%20-%20Nationality.pdf

Also, if he's got an immigration case pending, he is not doing himself any favours at all.

I see; point noted too.

I get the feeling that the legal culture in the US and the UK are different.

Nationality/citizenship laws in the UK have become more complex ever since the switched from pure jus soli to a modified jus soli on Jan 1st, 1983.

Thanks for the pdf.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by AngieFan(f): 10:52am On Mar 24, 2010
@RichyBlack

I don't know. But I know what you are getting at. Please bear in mind that the World wheelchair games (WWG) is hardly on the same level as the Olympics/Paralympics or the world championships. The WWG  appears to be on a very much lower level and in fact I hardly knew it existed until I read this story. Perhaps to be compete in the WWG for a country you only have to be legal resident in that country. In any case Vincent participated in the 90s and I think the rules have changed since then.

More fool Vincent for not getting his citizenship status sorted out before he decided to break the law.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by ElRazur: 10:53am On Mar 24, 2010
@Richy

Yeah the laws looks different. Besides, US have the land to accommodate all kinds. We are an island and literally full. lol.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by KnowAll(m): 10:54am On Mar 24, 2010
Don't mind the ingrates, I mean if it was in the U.S. [b]they would heartly make the young man a Citizen[/b]anyway I'm not surprised by the british actions, they're known to be stingy sometimes so it has to do with them

According to the UK law now, even if you are a Citizen u will still be deported. The only citizens that cannot be deported are citizens by birth. If u have a British Passport through marriage or residency and u start committing crimes. You will be stripped of that citizenship and deported.

I know a young chap that came with his mum about 8 years ago, the mum made sure all her kids got British Passport. But the chap instead of him getting an honest job like most people started getting himself involved in credit card frauds. I was told he was caught trying to defraud the British military, obviously that kind of thing they will not take it lightly because of the security implication. He was caught and he served 3 years in jail after which he was deported.

His mum and his sisters are still in England. Citizenship unlike the olden days does not mean u are untouchable. Today the award of citizenship should and must be seen as a privilege and not a right.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by ElRazur: 11:03am On Mar 24, 2010
^^ Even those are are by birth after 1982 or so have to prove that their Parents are here legally or something along those lines. I know a couple of friend, that are given "Right of abode" on their Nigerian passport, but not given a British passport as they are unable to prove their parent were legal or something. smiley
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by RichyBlacK(m): 11:07am On Mar 24, 2010
KnowAll:

According to the UK law now, even if you are a Citizen u will still be deported. The only citizens that cannot be deported are citizens by birth. If u have a British Passport through marriage or residency and u start committing crimes. You will be stripped of that citizenship and deported.

I know a young chap that came with his mum about 8 years ago, the mum made sure all her kids got British Passport. But the chap instead of him getting an honest job like most people started getting himself involved in credit card frauds. I was told he was caught trying to defraud the British military, obviously that kind of thing they will not take it lightly because of the security implication. He was caught and he served 3 years in jail after which he was deported.

His mum and his sisters are still in England. Citizenship unlike the olden days does not mean u are untouchable. Today the award of citizenship should and must be seen as a privilege and not a right.

This makes Britain seem really backward.

In America, all citizens (by birth o, by marriage o, by mama o, by papa o, by too much money sef) are equal under the law.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by RichyBlacK(m): 11:11am On Mar 24, 2010
AngieFan:

@RichyBlack

I don't know. But I know what you are getting at. Please bear in mind that the World wheelchair games (WWG) is hardly on the same level as the Olympics/Paralympics or the world championships. The WWG  appears to be on a very much lower level and in fact I hardly knew it existed until I read this story. Perhaps to be compete in the WWG for a country you only have to be legal resident in that country. In any case Vincent participated in the 90s and I think the rules have changed since then.

More fool Vincent for not getting his citizenship status sorted out before he decided to break the law.

AngieFan,

I see your point, but this story is leaving me with the impression that immigrants have a far better deal in America than in Britain. Maybe it's because of what ElRazur said about the UK being a small island that's already full. LOL.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by GEW: 11:17am On Mar 24, 2010
RichyBlacK:

In America, all citizens (by birth o, by marriage o, by mama o, by papa o, by too much money sef) are equal under the law.

RichyBlacK:

AngieFan,

I see your point, but this story is leaving me with the impression that immigrants have a far better deal in America than in Britain. Maybe it's because of what ElRazur said about the UK being a small island that's already full. LOL.

what right do you think a lawless immigrant should have? if you are nigerian you should have being nice to your host in your vocab. 
why do you expect a host society to be nice to rogues and fraudsters who are taking the hospitality for granted.  if thier home country was good and nice to them why did most of them leave for abroad?
you feel it is ok they are allowed to import the lawlessness in their homeland to thier host.

america by the way has very large prison for lawless people so which do you prefer?

would you really like to be killed or injured by a lawless gold medalist who cant respect laws.  he probably got the car as a disability allowance gesture.  he is a big fool, ungrateful idiot and fit for lawless society like nigeria. 

[size=18pt]along with the right to stay in a decent society is the duty to be law abiding[/size][/size]

good ridance as they say
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by KnowAll(m): 11:21am On Mar 24, 2010

In America, all citizens (by birth o, by marriage o, by mama o, by papa o, by too much money sef) are equal under the law

The Americans once deported a group of American Somalian a while back. There was this story I saw not too sure whether it was on the net or TV, they were interviewed and the guys were speaking Yankee phonee,

I felt for them but the Americans were adamant at the time. I don’t know what happened to them eventually.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by ElRazur: 11:21am On Mar 24, 2010
Richy, people take the liberty of the British compassion and it can cause a ripple effect - I.e the upsurge of more and more disgruntled white people who are unhappy as to how immigrant seem to get a good deal when they come here.

For example if you come here from a war-torn country, you will mostly likely get a place and money to live on - all footed by the tax payer. When those who are here by birth or whites are told there is nothing the government can do to help [well placed on a waiting list etc]

Another example is this radical islamic guy that is feeding on UK's tax payers, yet he's got a property worth over 150 grand. I mean, there comes a point when the people and the system will fight back. I think we are long due for that stage ages ago.

Can you imagine, people from poland are reported to travel down to UK for free abortion as it is free and works out cheaper than doing in their own country?

Personally, I have no mercy for the guy in the original story. Winning medals is not the same as abiding by rules.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by AngieFan(f): 12:05pm On Mar 24, 2010
@RichyBlack

Yep, Britain is small Island and can no longer cope with the influx of immigrants like America can with her huge land mast. That being said it is extremely rare of one to be stripped of their naturalized British citizenship. I don't know the full details of Knowall's story but I doubt the criminal in question had British citizenship to begin with or perhaps they had dual nationality? If a person without dual nationality is stripped of the one citizenship they hold then that would be a case for the Human Rights Courts.

Abu Hamza apparently had dual status and was publicly advocating the killing of British Soldiers in Iraq in the centre of London. Once he started doing that then the law was specifically changed to deport his a$$ to whence he came. I don't know why anyone would be surprised at that.

As far as I am aware he is the only one of two people who had his British citizenship taken away. The other was a white Australian who was being held in Guatamano Bay. looking at these two stories it is obvious that terrorism plays a key factor in the decision to strip one of their British citizenship and as I said in order for one to be stripped of it they must have dual nationality.

I would be interested in knowing more about the man Knowall's story.

The move follows the introduction of new powers earlier this week allowing British nationality to be removed from people with dual citizenship who are believed to have acted against the vital interests of the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2919291.stm
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Becomrich17: 12:14pm On Mar 24, 2010
The cleric was preaching against the west, that is not right. I preach against people who kill innocent baby and women. Who are link to terrorist.

Like  AngieFan it is extremely rare for anyone one to be stripped of their  citizenship, mostly if you are born abroad.

Many nigerian are born aboard. To shock some idiot online. even nigeria law allows nigerian who have naturalized to British citizenship or any country to run for president. . In 2007 Prof Odili based here  in Toronto ran against Umaru Yar Adua.

Aluko/ and Odili went to the supreme court, the supreme court in Nigeria made it cleared that they are allowed to run for office of president. I could post the supreme judgement.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by GEW: 12:21pm On Mar 24, 2010
Becomrich/:

The cleric was preaching against the west, that is not right. I preach against people who kill innocent baby and women. Who are link to terrorist.

Like  AngieFan it is extremely rare for anyone one to be stripped of their  citizenship, mostly if you are born abroad.

Many nigerian are born aboard. To shock some idiot online. even nigeria law allows nigerian who have naturalized to British citizenship or any country to run for president. . In 2007 Prof Odili based here  in Toronto ran against Umaru Yar Adua.

Aluko/ and Odili went to the supreme court, the supreme court in Nigeria made it cleared that they are allowed to run for office of president. I could post the supreme judgement.
would your beloved nigeria have allowed odilli to run if he had criminal records in toronto? why do you think it is okay to allow criminality without sanctions?

no decent society tollerate evil and stupidity like nigeria, pakistan and the others. the UK is not about to join the list
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Busybody2(f): 12:29pm On Mar 24, 2010
The dude's been in UK long enough to have gotten permanent residency and is only being deported cos he flouted some driving rules and all hope is not lost yet, all he has to do is take his case to the European Human Right Court, and bingo, all is posted.

Abi no be the same UK where the current law that was passed 3 weeks ago STATES that all illegal immigrant with a child in school should not be deported but have to be given their stay, given benefits and also council flats.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by otawa: 12:37pm On Mar 24, 2010
The dude's been in UK long enough to have gotten permanent residency and is only being deported cos he flouted some driving rules and all hope is not lost yet, all he has to do is take his case to the European Human Right Court, and bingo, all is posted.

deporting someone because of traffic offence is CRAP.

That is a useless country to me.

Reading from above, it seems there are two set of citizens in UK: original white UK and all others

Talk of equality indeed!
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Becomrich17: 12:40pm On Mar 24, 2010
nobody get deport for driving rules. You people are just trying to make britain look bad. what have they done to you. Drive rule are not criminal. But under highway laws. majority of the people here have it. look. most people have traffic problem. More than 60 to 70 % of the population.

Go to any court house. the one in toronto is full everyday. You cant enough get your case heard till 2012 if you are lucky. It tell you how many people have it. This is how the government make money. Parking ticket. When they give you parking ticket. You go to court. Not like nigeria, where you give the police bribe.

You go to court for everything over here. It does not mean you are a criminal.  It is just the way the system is done. They make everything go through the court system. or through the police. Even getting a simple job. You mostly need the police to clear you.

And get an Iphone. It is costly. will you pay my bills.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by ElRazur: 12:44pm On Mar 24, 2010
Busy_body:

Abi no be the same UK where the current law that was passed 3 weeks ago STATES that all illegal immigrant with a child in school should not be deported but have to be given their stay, given benefits and also council flats.

Can you please read the original post.

He's long enough to get his stay is not an excuse.

Source for your last paragraph please.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by ElRazur: 12:45pm On Mar 24, 2010
otawa:

deporting someone because of traffic offence is CRAP.

That is a useless country to me.

Reading from above, it seems there are two set of citizens in UK: original white UK and all others

Talk of equality indeed!

Are you seriously kidding me?

I think you too may want to read and understand the OP before you post again. Kai. Nah wah men.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by debosky(m): 12:52pm On Mar 24, 2010
Busy_body:

I don't know about a law being passed - a judgement was reached indicating that SOME some migrant families can stay in the UK and claim benefits - even if the main worker has left the country, as long as children were in education.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8532868.stm

The key phrase in the judgement was European Union law clearly stated that it would be unjust to interfere with a child's education once it had legally begun.

If it didn't begin legally, then there is no case to talk about. The specific cases that were debated happened when a woman was brought in by a legal resident, had kids and circumstances later changed, not illegals who have never had a right in the first place. Also note that the people involved in these cases didn't have criminal records.

No one knows the full implication of this and it would be hasty to make definitive claims on the basis of this judgement.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by ElRazur: 12:55pm On Mar 24, 2010
I was aware of the link, but clearly what BB said is different from what was in the link. Welcome to nairaland I guess.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by otawa: 1:03pm On Mar 24, 2010
He was sentenced to five months in prison for driving while disqualified after twice being convicted of careless driving. Immigrants who commit serious criminal offences are subject to automatic deportation once their sentences end. Onwubiko is being held at the Colnbrook Immigration Removal Centre, close to London Heathrow Airport.

deporting someone from driving offence is CRAP.

I guess UK will start deporting if you also get drunk, abuse your neigbour etc.

Yeye. Hissss.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by AngieFan(f): 1:34pm On Mar 24, 2010
otawa:

deporting someone from driving offence is CRAP.

I guess UK will start deporting if you also get drunk, abuse your neigbour etc.

Yeye. Hissss.

You sound bitter.

Vincent committed a criminal offence. It doesn't matter if the offence was driving 1 mph over the legal speed limit of going on a killing spree in Peckham. The fact remains that he broke the law and as he is not a citizen he gets to be deported.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 24, 2010
As some white says, 'you are not british if you are black, you are a black british'
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by GEW: 1:49pm On Mar 24, 2010
AngieFan:

You sound bitter.

Vincent committed a criminal offence. It doesn't matter if the offence was driving 1 mph over the legal speed limit of going on a killing spree in Peckham. The fact remains that he broke the law and as he is not a citizen he gets to be deported.
AngieFan:

You sound bitter.

u spoke for me thank you very much.
why do most nigerians want other people to tolerate lawlessness?
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 24, 2010
we must also consider that winning these medals was more of a personall achivement for him, to be honest it does not profit the UK government much. so all this winning about "after 5 gold medals" is irrelevant. personally it upsets me how Nigerians travel to foriegn countries only to abuse thier liberties. kindness should never be mistaken for a weakness. if ur in a foriegn land u should learn to comport urself and abide by the rules. this guy got what he deserved.cas eclosed.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by AngieFan(f): 2:16pm On Mar 24, 2010
slyfoxxjoe:

we must also consider that winning these medals was more of a personall achivement for him, to be honest it does not profit the UK government much. so all this winning about "after 5 gold medals" is irrelevant. personally it upsets me how Nigerians travel to foriegn countries only to abuse thier liberties. kindness should never be mistaken for a weakness. if your in a foriegn land u should learn to comport urself and abide by the rules. this guy got what he deserved.cas eclosed.

Exactly! People are acting like winning those gold medals basically solved all of Britain's financial problems. Most people haven't even heard of those games not to mention that he probably got funding from the British government to participate anyway. Proper funding like a monthly living allowance, professional training to help him achieve his goals. Perhaps he can now make use of that training in Nigeria.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by r231(m): 2:20pm On Mar 24, 2010
slyfoxxjoe:

we must also consider that winning these medals was more of a personall achivement for him, to be honest it does not profit the UK government much. so all this winning about "after 5 gold medals" is irrelevant. personally it upsets me how Nigerians travel to foriegn countries only to abuse thier liberties. kindness should never be mistaken for a weakness. if your in a foriegn land u should learn to comport urself and abide by the rules. this guy got what he deserved.cas eclosed.

true.

law is law simple
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Wrex(m): 2:22pm On Mar 24, 2010
Please,stop blaming the British government.The guy knew the law but he decided to break it,not once,not twice.Nigerians love breaking laws. Law is law.If he messes up,he should face face the music
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Nobody: 2:26pm On Mar 24, 2010
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by MsTom(f): 2:31pm On Mar 24, 2010
@Poster,

Morale of this post. Never do anything of National honor to any country unless you have their PASSPORT.

[/b]"driving while disqualified after twice being convicted of careless driving"[b]-- what does that mean? Does it mean he was driving without a license or suspended license after being convicted twice? If so, why would anyone attract the law to himself when he knows that his days are numbered in that country? Just plain stu!pid.

@Richy,
Even though the naturalized citizen and US born citizens have same rights, the naturalized citizen can still have their citizenship stripped. Example is a romanian born former Nazi who was stripped of his US citizenship. They are even trying to see how they can strip US born citizens of their citizenship if involved in terorrism.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

~Wimbledon 2009~ / Falcons Thrash Senegal 3-0 To Qualify For Semi-finals / CAF President, Ahmad Ahmad Tests Positive For COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.