Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,705 members, 7,809,684 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

Family Business Going Sour. Please HELP - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Family Business Going Sour. Please HELP (590 Views)

Unannounced Visit Turn Sour / I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad / Lucrative Family Business You Can Do At Home While Retaining Your Regular Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Family Business Going Sour. Please HELP by brighter: 6:58pm On Nov 19, 2017
I will appreciate your matured advice.

I am from a family that have a very peaceful extended family relationship. Some years back my cousin (male) notified me of a job in the banking industry which I applied for & got the job, I stayed with him for over a year (not in the same city with my parents & also based on family advice) till I lost the job due to downsizing. All through my stay with him, I contribute to feeding the much I could. i was very grateful to him, it's not easy.

Fast forward to few years back, he's married with kids & facing financial difficulties. I was favoured to have a business I manage for someone. I thought of how to be of help to my cousin, came up with the idea of making him a distributor in the state where he now resides then make his profit & also offered him discount. I made the first supplied which he sold out within few weeks & was happy. Second supply was also a success. I supplied again & after few weeks he requested for more but when I asked for money for the last supply, he went behind to explain to other family memebers ( not his siblings) how he used my money to start an entire new business (transport), hoping to pay me back once he starts making gain.

IT'S 2 YEARS NOW! No Payment (almost N200,000). All efforts failed. He now tells people I don't care about his welfare. The business owner insists the money must be paid. Considering the peace we enjoy in the family I'm devastated. I don't want any family trouble to originate from me. My plan is to report to his siblings during this festive period.

Modified: He is currently a pastor in a local branch of a big pentecostal church. Brethren in the pentecostal church, is there any way of handling this type of issue through regional or national offices?

Please Please & Please again I need your advice.
Don't mind the long story & grammatical error.

Thanks
Re: Family Business Going Sour. Please HELP by Lovetinz(m): 7:20pm On Nov 19, 2017
I don't want any family trouble to originate from me

Too late. It has already originated from you.
You gave Someone Else's goods to a relative, he didn't pay.
You followed up with another consignment.
Your cousin is not your friend. In some organizations you would have been fired AND forced to pay the debts.

You have the right solution in mind. Let the family step in, and make your demand specific. He should pay up his debts.

1 Like

Re: Family Business Going Sour. Please HELP by brighter: 7:31pm On Nov 19, 2017
@ Lovetinz

at the point he stopped payment, I did not make further supply. Secondly, I followed the proper procedure in making him a supplier. The company is aware & all transactions documented.
Re: Family Business Going Sour. Please HELP by yemmit90: 7:39pm On Nov 19, 2017
You actually did well by helping him in time of need, sometimes something like this do happen especially if you fail to act smart at inception. Next time you dont deal with friends/family members directly even if you are the owner of the business. You should've be a connector and allow him to deal with your boss directly.

I will advise you to pay the money (if you can afford it) and hope he pay someday. You can also talk to someone he respected in your family and let him understand your job is at stake as a result of this.

2 Likes

Re: Family Business Going Sour. Please HELP by Lovetinz(m): 7:41pm On Nov 19, 2017
Good.
You could leave him to the company and let the company flay him, but you likely would not.
You simply can't exonerate yourself because it was through you he became a supplier
Tell the Family Elders that your cousin/supplier is putting your job retention & promotion prospects in jeopardy.
I wish you the best

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

I Am In Deep Poo, The Man I Loved So Much Turned His Back On Me / kerosene blast kills family of four. / Bride Runs Mad During Wedding, After She Was Attacked By “her Village People”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.