Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,892 members, 7,817,626 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad (1622 Views)

How I Ended My Relationship With A Married Man / I Destroyed My Sister Relationship With Her Fiancé And She Lost Her Job / 'My Dad Is A Deadbeat' Top Worn By Daughter On Father's Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by mekusmanuel(f): 9:16pm On Jun 30, 2021
Good evening.
Just now, I didn't greet my dad after eating my dinner. Not that I don't want to but each time I try, the words hook in my throats. Note that I'm not a stammerer, neither does it happen in my mom's case. Just like this morning, I walked past my dad without uttering a word of greeting. He later complained about it not realizing that I actually wanted to, but the words just didn't flow.

Meanwhile, my father is a strict man, and has succeeded in instilling fear in me towards him when I was a boy. He would scold and flog me thoroughly if I make any slightest mistake. This has savoured the relationship I have with him.

Furthermore, he has anger issue, so tends to dish out instructions with a harsh voice. There's no father and son discussion between us. The little talk we do have is usually done standing. I'm sorry to say that he lacks humour too. You might end up annoying while trying to make him jolly.

I'm really concerned because I'm his first child and only son. I need to make things right.
Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by Gucciboy1(m): 9:25pm On Jun 30, 2021
You should study his mood, and call him privately when he's in a good mood. You should have a heart to heart talk with him, let him know you feel bad about the relationship between both of you. Let him realise how much you need him (not financially, but emotionally) and always be respectful at all times. No matter the consequences. You father will always be your father. You need to bring your ego down and just be humble

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by thorpido(m): 9:58pm On Jun 30, 2021
Gucciboy1:
You should study his mood, and call him privately when he's in a good mood. You should have a heart to heart talk with him, let him know you feel bad about the relationship between both of you. Let him realise how much you need him (not financially, but emotionally) and always be respectful at all times. No matter the consequences. You father will always be your father. You need to bring your ego down and just be humble
Try to do what this commenter has said.

However,have it at the back of your mind that your dad may not change.Don't let it bother you.Develop that relationship with your mom and don't worry about your dad.
Bid your time with him in his house until you can be on your own.
Some dads change as they age and the kids leave the house.They begin to value the relationship then.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by mekusmanuel(f): 3:17am On Jul 01, 2021
Thank you
Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by Kastonkastroll(m): 6:59am On Jul 01, 2021
I'm also not that close to my father for some reasons best known to me, but I dont fail to greet him whenever the opportunity comes. I think your father deserves some respect from you too.

3 Likes

Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by Karleb(m): 7:35am On Jul 01, 2021
Try to leave home or not be at home everytime. There's nothing you can do to change him. NOTHING!
Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by Saintmary(f): 8:45am On Jul 01, 2021
mekusmanuel:
Good evening.
Just now, I didn't greet my dad after eating my dinner. Not that I don't want to but each time I try, the words hook in my throats. Note that I'm not a stammerer, neither does it happen in my mom's case. Just like this morning, I walked past my dad without uttering a word of greeting. He later complained about it not realizing that I actually wanted to, but the words just didn't flow.

Meanwhile, my father is a strict man, and has succeeded in instilling fear in me towards him when I was a boy. He would scold and flog me thoroughly if I make any slightest mistake. This has savoured the relationship I have with him.

Furthermore, he has anger issue, so tends to dish out instructions with a harsh voice. There's no father and son discussion between us. The little talk we do have is usually done standing. I'm sorry to say that he lacks humour too. You might end up annoying while trying to make him jolly.

I'm really concerned because I'm his first child and only son. I need to make things right.

Every morning when you wake up, go straight to him, prostrate and say good morning Sir, that's what a well brought up son will do.
You can't be living in his house and refuse to greet him. His anger issues is none of your business. Do your bit and get out when you're ready.
I can't believe your Mom refused to caution you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by RightToReject(m): 8:49am On Jul 01, 2021
Provided that your father has never doubted/doesn't have evidence that you aren't his biological child, and he's mentally sound, then you are the cause of your sour relationship with him; if that is the case, take to obedience in particular and responsibleness in general, you'll see wonders happen in your relationship with him.

Eschew conceit, self-absorption, greed; expunge yourself of prejudice (no matter the source), and show that he has a dependable ally in you.

1 Like

Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by Mikester: 1:05pm On Jul 01, 2021
@ mekusmanuel

Greet, esteem and obey him when necessary but don't try to bond emotionally more with him. You may eventually end up irritating him the more and you'll get more insults and ridicule.

Just give him a little space emotionally for some weeks. This would likely make him realise and reference your importantance to him sooner or later.

Sometimes to draw people closer, you have to give them a little distance.

3 Likes

Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by drmikeadams(m): 1:07pm On Jul 01, 2021
mekusmanuel:
Good evening.

Your not alone bro..greet and thank him..save money and look for accommodation outside.
Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 01, 2021
1. Respect him.

2. Move out asap.

3 Likes

Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by beautyhd: 2:10pm On Jul 01, 2021
You are living in his house and ain't greeting him, damn that's wrong.

Force out the greeting, have you heard of salutation is not love.

Greeting him should be done perfunctorily and make arrangements to move out as absence makes the heart grow fonder.

3 Likes

Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by frozen70(f): 7:04pm On Jul 01, 2021
mekusmanuel:
Good evening.

You have grown now and he can no longer beat you

Great him anytime you come across or have need for

If you are not close to your dad be sure to be close to your mum so that you will have one of them at your back

But your dad will have to surfer that gap he created because the synergy was never created
Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by Richy4(m): 8:02pm On Jul 01, 2021
When kids comes into the world, They do not come with manuals.. It would have been easier assuming they came with one so that every parent will know how to treat them... what they want and how best to relate with them....

Your dad did the very best he could for you... I mean the very best...He made decisions to keep u safe... remember, he is not perfect...... no parent is... at least he trained you...put roof over your head....provides food that gave you nourishment till adulthood .. the least you can do is to be grateful....

I'm not saying u should greet him... I assume u are an adult and old enough to make your own decision.. while making such decision, u should apply wisdom... I'm just saying that it is not easy to be a parent... he did what he felt was ok at that time... Do not hold it against him....

Even at that, have you tried at least to make an inquiry about your grandparent?...It could even be how he (your father) was trained too while growing up as a child and he knows no better...It's up to you to break that strict parental cycle.....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by Karleb(m): 8:09pm On Jul 01, 2021
beautyhd:
You are living in his house and ain't greeting him, damn that's wrong.

Force out the greeting, have you heard of salutation is not love.

Greeting him should be done perfunctorily and make arrangements to move out as absence makes the heart grow fonder.

That's the only place the OP is getting it wrong.

No matter how bad your parents are, you should respect them, especially when you are still under their care.

A lot of parents are bad at parenting sha.

1 Like

Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by mekusmanuel(f): 6:19am On Jul 02, 2021
frozen70:

You have grown now and he can no longer beat you

Great him anytime you come across or have need for

If you are not close to your dad be sure to be close to your mum so that you will have one of them at your back

But your dad will have to surfer that gap he created because the synergy was never created

I'm pretty in good terms with my mom.
Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by frozen70(f): 9:43am On Jul 02, 2021
mekusmanuel:

I'm pretty in good terms with my mom.

That's all you need

1 Like

Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by mylove4God(f): 10:04pm On Jul 02, 2021
OP you need to look for a way to resolve this. You can also discuss this with your mum. In my own opinion I feel he deserve all the respect you can give him.
Re: I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad by anthonyuncle(m): 5:50am On Jul 03, 2021
strict, not wicked.

do you have any idea on how your father's childhood was?

his main crime is trying to install discipline in you.

don't worry,
don't greet him,
don't have discussions with him,
one day, God will call him,
you will so need to talk to him, even if his replies should be slaps,
but he won't be there anymore.

you no get respect

(1) (Reply)

Fathers Taking The Back Seat. / Nigerian Professor, Dubem Okafor Kills Wife, Self In Us / Birth Order Of Children. Does It Apply To You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.