Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,351 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? (1608 Views)

'A Man Who Lives In This Kind Of Apartment Shouldn't Be Thinking Of Marriage' / My Cousin Who Got Married Last Year July Is Actually Thinking Of Leaving / My cousin who got married this year July is actually thinking of leaving the man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by xpellion: 12:08pm On Nov 20, 2017
Dear Nairalanders,
I beckon on you for help as this platform has always been a source of inspiration for me and a way to get the most honest advise particularly when people share issues bothering their mind and get other people's straight advice. Right now I am very confused as I recently got a job of close to a 100k salary after been out of a job for a while due to the economic recesssion that hit the country. I feel part of what made me lose my previous job was the fact that despite been comfortable beyond my standard I chose not to get married and rather play around while waiting for the money to accumulate to a very confident level. I have promised myself not to engage in any form of immoralities but I am still not convinced that a 100k salary is even enough to cater for a family and thus why should I be thinking of getting married. As for me this issue is from a moral perspective as I currently have a fiancee and the tenets of my religion strongly oppose having sex before marriage so she coming in as a girlfriend while I wait till am fully ready is out of the picture... the question now is should I go ahead and marry her now bearing in mind that she has nothing doing for now and that I will be the one solely responsible for the upkeep of the family.
I really hope I get the best advice here cos have been pondering over this issue for weeks now and am totally confused. Thank you all in advance.
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by amnesty7: 12:21pm On Nov 20, 2017
You mean in the real world you don't have a trustworthy confidant or two? They will advise you better, knowing your personality and other things we might not know about you.
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 20, 2017
go and marry joor
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by lalanice(f): 12:32pm On Nov 20, 2017
people live on less even with both partners working. It depends on your taste and lifestyle, you two can always work something out as long as she is not happy to stay unsupportive.
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by Florblu(f): 12:33pm On Nov 20, 2017
Well........................

Let your fiancee start something first no matter how small.

If you think you are mentally mature to raise a home, why not start?

Do not despise small begining

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by tayo60(f): 12:36pm On Nov 20, 2017
My advice, save some money and give it to your fiancée to start a small business so as to find something doing OR if she has certificate, help her look for a job. With that in place, you can then plan how to settle down. If she has something doing, she will help in supporting you at home. Don't plan marriage now when she is not doing anything or else the responsibility of keeping a home will be too much on you. kiss

2 Likes

Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by wordbank(m): 12:44pm On Nov 20, 2017
Flex with your salary till u clock 50, then flex small with ur pension fund maybe at 60...
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by xpellion: 1:46pm On Nov 20, 2017
Florblu:
Well........................

Let your fiancee start something first no matter how small.

If you think you are mentally mature to raise a home, why not start?

Do not despise small begining

Thanks so much!
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by xpellion: 1:47pm On Nov 20, 2017
tayo60:
My advice, save some money and give it to your fiancée to start a small business so as to find something doing OR if she has certificate, help her look for a job. With that in place, you can then plan how to settle down. If she has something doing, she will help in supporting you at home. Don't plan marriage now when she is not doing anything or else the responsibility of keeping a home will be too much on you. kiss

Thank you so much...I think this brings in another perspective I never considered.

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by NoToPile: 4:33pm On Nov 20, 2017
Go and get married

100k is not bad, that's the combined monthly income of a lot of couples. Just be prudent.
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by NairalandSARS: 4:34pm On Nov 20, 2017
Op, life is not all about getting married or having children.
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by tayo60(f): 8:11pm On Nov 20, 2017
xpellion:

Thank you so much...I think this brings in another perspective I never considered.
Its a pleasure!
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by mrphysics(m): 8:29pm On Nov 20, 2017
They are people living with less than that and are happy. I realized it all depends on what you want in life. It also depends on how you see tomorrow and how you design your tomorrow. It also has something to do with where you come from and the background.

Well, 100k salary can give you a life just below average or even an average home. But the big question is, what do you want in marriage? And what do your wife want. Remember, when you get married, it won't have to be you and your wife alone, external responsibilities will come in. Think about this also. like someone suggested, help your woman to get something doing, as little as it maybe, it means a lot.

Even when I know I make above 250 monthly, I still haven't considered myself fit for marriage or ready for marriage.

Do something
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by Lalas247(f): 9:17pm On Nov 20, 2017
Tell her to get a job

Once you get married babies ! And they ain’t cheap cost a whole lot of money also she mostly likely won’t be able to work for a while during that time .. so I suggest u save .. tell her to get a job and work towards building a home together . Or some sort of business if it’s hard to get employment

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by iyisco2001(m): 7:41am On Nov 21, 2017
tayo60:
Wait, it's good you thought the financee should also work.
But I need to point out something, is he supposed to fix the life of his fiancee or the fiancee supposed to get a hold of her life?
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by maclatunji: 8:13am On Nov 21, 2017
Your problem is not the N100,000 you earn but your lack of money management skills. You should go and buy books on personal finance or google articles about it.
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by xpellion: 12:14pm On Nov 21, 2017
maclatunji:
Your problem is not the N100,000 you earn but your lack of money management skills. You should go and buy books on personal finance or google articles about it.
Thanks for the advice but I just felt based on the current inflationary rate of the country and the fact that marriage from what people say brings up more expenses than when you are on your own. I will consider what you said above anyway.
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by xpellion: 12:18pm On Nov 21, 2017
Lalas247:
Tell her to get a job

Once you get married babies ! And they ain’t cheap cost a whole lot of money also she mostly likely won’t be able to work for a while during that time .. so I suggest u save .. tell her to get a job and work towards building a home together . Or some sort of business if it’s hard to get employment

Thanks o but not even thinking babies for now at all but the business part or job part is been considered strongly.
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by ElsonMorali: 4:00pm On Nov 21, 2017
If you have to bring such personal and mundane issues online for advice, then I'd say No!, you aren't ready for marriage yet.

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by xpellion: 8:06am On Nov 22, 2017
ElsonMorali:
If you have to bring such personal and mundane issues online for advice, then I'd say No!, you aren't ready for marriage yet.
Imagine if this was the first comment I read...so you are been judgemental based on sharing an issue with people I think are not emotionally connected to my story. I think your rapid conclusion is myopic.
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by nuelyoyo(m): 11:04am On Nov 22, 2017
Engage ur woman in something productive before u marry her, I would prefer u make her learn a skill that is lucrative, like tailoring, than getting her a pay job. Skill acquisition is best for ladies who aren't so career driven, plus it is secured than a pay job that can be lost at anytime. I have a friend who trained his girlfriend to become fashion designer before he wifed her, this friend of mine runs a chemist shop. The guy started reaping the benefits before he even married her and he is still reaping the benefits, coz the situation of the economy affected his chemist business, but he feels less burden coz his wife contributes to the upkeep of the family.
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by xpellion: 11:50am On Nov 22, 2017
nuelyoyo:
Engage ur woman in something productive before u marry her, I would prefer u make her learn a skill that is lucrative, like tailoring, than getting her a pay job. Skill acquisition is best for ladies who aren't so career driven, plus it is secured than a pay job that can be lost at anytime. I have a friend who trained his girlfriend to become fashion designer before he wifed her, this friend of mine runs a chemist shop. The guy started reaping the benefits before he even married her and he is still reaping the benefits, coz the situation of the economy affected his chemist business, but he feels less burden coz his wife contributes to the upkeep of the family.
Thank you sir...this is very insightful.

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by ElsonMorali: 12:27pm On Nov 22, 2017
xpellion:

Imagine if this was the first comment I read...so you are been judgemental based on sharing an issue with people I think are not emotionally connected to my story. I think your rapid conclusion is myopic.

It isn't. It's just that find it hard to believe that you live in a vacuum and there's nobody, No friend, No family, not even a neighbor to ask advice for very mundane issues except we faceless and disinterested occupants of Nairaland.

I Hope you won't bring every marital issue here though cos most of the peeps here are teens.
Re: Should I Be Thinking Of Getting Married? by pryme(m): 1:56pm On Nov 22, 2017
xpellion:
Dear Nairalanders,
I beckon on you for help as this platform has always been a source of inspiration for me and a way to get the most honest advise particularly when people share issues bothering their mind and get other people's straight advice. Right now I am very confused as I recently got a job of close to a 100k salary after been out of a job for a while due to the economic recesssion that hit the country. I feel part of what made me lose my previous job was the fact that despite been comfortable beyond my standard I chose not to get married and rather play around while waiting for the money to accumulate to a very confident level. I have promised myself not to engage in any form of immoralities but I am still not convinced that a 100k salary is even enough to cater for a family and thus why should I be thinking of getting married. As for me this issue is from a moral perspective as I currently have a fiancee and the tenets of my religion strongly oppose having sex before marriage so she coming in as a girlfriend while I wait till am fully ready is out of the picture... the question now is should I go ahead and marry her now bearing in mind that she has nothing doing for now and that I will be the one solely responsible for the upkeep of the family.
I really hope I get the best advice here cos have been pondering over this issue for weeks now and am totally confused. Thank you all in advance.

I think you should also share your worries with your fiance, this will show if she can be supportive or she will belittle you. This will tell you if she will be a good patner.

(1) (Reply)

Am A Victim Of Domestic Violence / 4 Reasons Why Shy Ladies Make Best Wives / Neatly Used Foreign Rug For Sale In Large Quantities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.