Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,655 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:34 PM

Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” (30347 Views)

Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree / CBN Offers Automatic Employment To Ebonyi First-Class Graduates Of Economics / Open Letter To Second Class And Third Class Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by Afriifa(m): 12:27pm On Nov 26, 2017
Warripikin08:
Chris brown fan_party
yes my bro. you got the juice
Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by Gerrard59(m): 1:19pm On Nov 26, 2017
Fiyinfoluwa20:

Out of the 13 first class from my class, 12 sat the McKinsey PST. Guess what ? Only 2 passed and just 1 got the job.

I must admit, one of the major hurdles I had to cross during my own job search was the Aptitude Test. This is because school never really prepared us for these tests you learn it, through practice and hard work.

That’s one part, we shouldn’t even get started with interviewing skills, which is another thing entirely. And may pose a major challenge to the guy that led a triangular lifestyle with little to no social skills.

Nna mehn, School dikwa risky. Me I sha like the joy I get from looking at my cert and how it may come in handy for postgrad studies.

Cheers !

Another reason fresh grads should patronise the services of Jarus and JAN Limited. Once you've been prepped by Jarushub, any interview becomes a work over!

Meanwhile, McKinsey PST no be here. That can be understood. That test is something else!

4 Likes

Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by chaiks: 8:24pm On Nov 26, 2017
for Nigeria ,first class people are not well celebrated. such people should be immediately retained. even me that got 4.49 have seen hell over the last two years not to talk of first class dudes.I have come to listen to the opinion of those who said all high cgpa holders should look towards the academic line.thank God I was pre-selected for npower.at least with 4 months saving from it,I can start something I learnt while doing npower and looking for other opportunities.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by Nobody: 6:03am On Jan 07, 2018
TheManofTomorrow:
Generalbush pls help me. I am a 2nd year student. I am torn between these two options.

1)Learn a trade while studying for my degree(pharmacy). I have considered Phone repairing and fashion designing. About to start the fashion designing sef. I am very sure I will have a 2nd class nt sure upper or lower with thit option

2)Withhold learning a trade and focus maintaining a first class. I am currently in first class.

Nairaland pls help me. wh@t choice should I make?

Please forgive me for commenting...but I'm was curious about something.
That's very interesting that you were thinking about "fashion designing" as a trade...
Do you enjoy that particular area?
Do you design clothing for men, women or both?
Were you saying that you could make a living while working on your degree?

Also how is your Pharmacy degree going?
Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by TheManofTomorrow(m): 10:24am On Jan 07, 2018
MsNgo40:

Please forgive me for commenting...but I'm was curious about something.
That's very interesting that you were thinking about "fashion designing" as a trade...
Do you enjoy that particular area?
Do you design clothing for men, women or both?
Were you saying that you could make a living while working on your degree?

Also how is your Pharmacy degree going?
Good day miss.
I am not yet a fashion designer. I might soon be.
I am not saying I wanna make a living while working on my degree. lol. Pharmacy is quite tasking. I have a guidance that assists me in the little way he can. I am just learning a trade to decelop myself and secure my future in the little way I can.
As for my pharmacy degree, I am doing pretty well.
Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by Nobody: 11:51am On Jan 07, 2018
TheManofTomorrow:
Good day miss.
I am not yet a fashion designer. I might soon be.
I am not saying I wanna make a living while working on my degree. lol. Pharmacy is quite tasking. I have a guidance that assists me in the little way he can. I am just learning a trade to decelop myself and secure my future in the little way I can.
As for my pharmacy degree, I am doing pretty well.

Interesting....so you love fashion? Were you planning to work in retail (a store) or actually "design"?
I ask cause it's such a vast contrast between it and pharmacy school....
Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by TheManofTomorrow(m): 12:42pm On Jan 07, 2018
MsNgo40:

Interesting....so you love fashion? Were you planning to work in retail (a store) or actually "design"?
I ask cause it's such a vast contrast between it and pharmacy school....
Lol. You perhaps misunderstood my whole reason of leaning a trade. Not because it corrolate with the degree I'm studying or want to practice both "pari pasu".
It is more interesting to have more than one skills.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by Julivas(m): 12:34am On Jan 08, 2018
TheManofTomorrow:
Generalbush pls help me. I am a 2nd year student. I am torn between these two options.

1)Learn a trade while studying for my degree(pharmacy). I have considered Phone repairing and fashion designing. About to start the fashion designing sef. I am very sure I will have a 2nd class nt sure upper or lower with thit option

2)Withhold learning a trade and focus maintaining a first class. I am currently in first class.

Nairaland pls help me. wh@t choice should I make?

Please kindly focus on your study for now and have good grade because there's a lot of opportunities out there for scholarship if you will like to further in your career. As for the trade, you can learn any of those trades during the NYSC period.
My opinion though.
Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by blanquecheque: 9:32am On Jan 28, 2018
Handsomecole:
I graduated with a third class ( not proud of it tho) but I engaged in politics and creative media while in school currently I'm serving and by God's grace I got a job and already working with as Media Assistant to a billionaire till date he's never asked me what I graduated with I doubt if he remembers the school I finished from. It's all about value added services and God's grace. I would still do a story . May God help us all.

Guy, you don't even sound like a Third Class. Your comment is quite well composed. It doesn't betray poor learning at all. Unfortunately, this same poor composition struck me with one of the "First Class" comments up there. Really makes you wonder. In case you do not see the value of your English skills, I say you still have to learn. We once rejected a First Class grad because of his poor English. And that was first impression. You've got to show real value.

Handsomecole, I say well done and good luck to you.
Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by Lacoolmley: 12:46pm On Jan 28, 2018
Please how is a third class graduate expected to sound? If a first class graduate speaks good grammer, the complain will be that its not by how good you speak English but by the value you add to the company. If he can add value but can't speak good English the complain becomes how can a first class graduate not express himself in simple English. In fact, I give up afterall I am not even a first class graduate but I still maintain that they are exceptional people and should be respected for their academic achievement.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by blanquecheque: 4:39pm On Jan 28, 2018
*Smiles*. Lacoolmley, you don't have to give up. Both skills are necessary. Communication skills are one of the basic general skills required by most employers. It is part of the value they seek. Alhough I preferred that we give that guy a chance, my boss wouldn't. This simply shows that defective learning in this area can stand against you, even if you are truly good (Read that to mean "valuefull"wink. So, you want to allow it?"

And if you don't mind, that word is "grammar" not "grammer", "complaint" not "complain".

Cheers and good luck.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by Lacoolmley: 5:03pm On Jan 28, 2018
@blanquecheque...thanks. I like your manner of approach. You must be a first class graduate...lol

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by blanquecheque: 12:09am On Jan 29, 2018
smiley@ Lacoolmley, I wish.
Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by blanquecheque: 12:10am On Jan 29, 2018
smiley@ Lacoolmley, I wish. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by slimsyk: 3:53pm On Jan 29, 2018
PIECE OF ADVICE
I still wonder why your uni could not absorb you as a first class graduate,
infact you haven't really learnt the reality of the school system,
what were you doing,were you unapproachable in school?
Do you have a referee from your department?
If yes how does that person see you?
Am not questioning your grade but how you interact in your environment, this a basic skill for survival regardless of what your objective or chosen career is.
For pure science(social sciences inclusive) graduates they need to master in their discipline, Engineering you need additional skills.
Naturally First class graduates belong to academics and research.You should probably go back to your uni to make things right.
For freshers don't just read alone make connections right from the University, always find opportunities wherever you find yourself First degree is only a requirement in the labour market and only gives an advantage towards training you for the job an experienced graduate with pass degree is more valuable than a fresh first class graduate or do you think the University has trained you for a job.
Recruiting Companies bring those requirements because of the massive number of applicants they get but not for competency, once you've experience and skills, no one cares about your grade.So develop your skills and get experience no matter how cheap a pay might be, remember your age is not your friend.
Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by afolwalex20(m): 5:02pm On Jan 29, 2018
blanquecheque:

Guy, you don't even sound like a Third Class. Your comment is quite well composed. It doesn't betray poor learning at all. Unfortunately, this same poor composition struck me with one of the "First Class" comments up there. Really makes you wonder. In case you do not see the value of your English skills, I say you still have to learn. We once rejected a First Class grad because of his poor English. And that was first impression. You've got to show real value.

Handsomecole, I say well done and good luck to you.

NB: I'm not a first class nor a third class product. I'm sorry i had to come in...

Your comment clearly speaks hatred. It's either your grade isn't closer to being one or you know people who graduated with it, and in the end, u found out you are better than them.

You said a sentence doesn't sound third class? This is appalling. undecided
I wonder why u think a first class English should be more polished than a third class tho!

Good sentences needs good punctuation marks too. I read the sentence you just applauded. Being "composed" is far from it.

I hope u don't take this personally. wink
Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by Handsomecole(m): 6:44pm On Jan 29, 2018
Bro I won't lie to you, I don't understand your comment please.
afolwalex20:

NB: I'm not a first class nor a third class product. I'm sorry i had to come in...

Your comment clearly speaks hatred. It's either your grade isn't closer to being one or you know people who graduated with it, and in the end, u found out you are better than them.

I wonder why u think a first class English should be more polished than a third class tho!

Good sentences needs good punctuation marks too. I read the sentence you just applauded. Being "composed" is far from it.

Re: Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” by blanquecheque: 9:37am On Jan 30, 2018
afolwalex20:

I read this comment last night and I couldn't help but chuckle when I read it. Hatred you say? Wow! How now? Why? Why would I hate First Class or even any grade at that? I desire a First Class for my children, you know. Even I did come around that once. But I missed it by the whiskers. So, naaaaaa, I cannot hate or even deride First Class. They deserve respect.

That said, I'm sure you know that we live in a world where perception is reality. It's a lot about perception; otherwise, plantain chips would not outdo igbekere in the market. Perception of value is key. When a First Class communicates poorly, there is a perception of poor value. You should be aware that, many times, people make instant judgements about you within the first minute. The same reason is why you want to be well dressed for a job. You may be picked over one who is more qualified. It happens. I KNOW it happens. This is why your communication skills matter.

You also know that First Class suggests that you are good in all areas of "academics" and the reverse in Third Class. This is why one might "sound Third Class". But I understand your sentiment: this is not always true. However, it is what many would perceive. And that's the quick point I made there.

Let me also quickly add that while First Class is desirable, it must also come with other important life and success skills. Many Third Class have that. Maybe I'll buttress this later.

Pardon my epistle and any loose flow in my thoughts. Did this in a hurry, with distractions.

Cheers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 5 Skills In Nigeria That Gets You Hired In 2017 / First Bank Of Nigeria Is Recruiting Workers (picture) / Npower: Any Hope Of Getting December Stipend?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.