Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? (1549 Views)

MTN Has Quietly Increased Its Data Allowances / MTN Finally Review All Its Data Plans And Adds New Plans. 2GB Now N1200 / GLO Reviews Its Data Plans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by dominique(f): 6:48pm On Nov 22, 2017
So my phone screen smashed last week and I hurriedly took it to gionee service centre in Ikeja to fix it. They told me it would take 24-48 hours before I can collect it and I said ok. Only for them to message me this evening that they have to wipe the entire phone data before they can change the screen. I've replied them that they should please find a way to replace the screen without formatting to factory settings but I'm yet to get a response. Still I'm confused, what has changing of smashed phone screen got to do with phone data? Has anybody encountered something similar? This is not my first screen replacement on that particular phone, so I'm still wondering what is so different about this is one. I hope I didn't make a big mistake by taking my phone to that center.
Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 22, 2017
I guess they don't know their job, Because screen is an hardware and it doesn't relate to software issues.

I am suspecting they swapped your phone panel, So maybe perhaps they want to give you a new one and you would suspect foul play if you can't find your files. Just suggestion oh

3 Likes

Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by ToyinDipo(m): 6:59pm On Nov 22, 2017
I'm not sure there is any way phone screen is connected to phone data.
I hope you didn't give them access to your phone details/data.
What's the phone model, so one can google search if there is such miraculous possibility.
Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by dominique(f): 7:13pm On Nov 22, 2017
ENDTIMEgist:
I guess they don't know their job, Because screen is an hardware and it doesn't relate to software issues.

I am suspecting they swapped your phone panel, So maybe perhaps they want to give you a new one and you would suspect foul play if you can't find your files. Just suggestion oh

That is very disappointing if that's the case. I decided to take the phone to their center because I've heard of the pranks played by all these computer village people and I didn't want to be a victim. The other place I changed my screen overcharged me, delayed my device for almost two weeks and the attendant had a very stinky attitude. In spite of all that, my device was returned intact and as good as new. Why should it now be an authorized service centre that wants to destroy the phone? I'm so pained right now.

ToyinDipo:
I'm not sure there is any way phone screen is connected to phone data.
I hope you didn't give them access to your phone details/data.
What's the phone model, so one can google search if there is such miraculous possibility.

My phone is passworded. Even at that, there is no compromising data on it. The phone is a P5w, not a complex device at all.
Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by Flashh: 7:29pm On Nov 22, 2017
Babe, come to my house, let me buy you another phone.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Nov 22, 2017
Flashh:

you go chop ban now

2 Likes

Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by kingreign(m): 7:55pm On Nov 22, 2017
Flashh:

embarassed

Na my madam you wan kilobits enter your room?

Abeg madam Dominique no vex pity am small only Samma am 5 months ban. grin

Back to the topic, aunty, go any other place to replace the defective screen
Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by ToyinDipo(m): 8:05pm On Nov 22, 2017
dominique:

My phone is passworded. Even at that, there is no compromising data on it. The phone is a P5w, not a complex device at all.

Frankly tell them to either fix the screen without wiping the data, or return the phone as you gave them.
Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by Mrval20(m): 10:07pm On Nov 22, 2017
dominique:
So my phone screen smashed last week and I hurriedly took it to gionee service centre in Ikeja to fix it. They told me it would take 24-48 hours before I can collect it and I said ok. Only for them to message me this evening that they have to wipe the entire phone data before they can change the screen. I've replied them that they should please find a way to replace the screen without formatting to factory settings but I'm yet to get a response. Still I'm confused, what has changing of smashed phone screen got to do with phone data? Has anybody encountered something similar? This is not my first screen replacement on that particular phone, so I'm still wondering what is so different about this is one. I hope I didn't make a big mistake by taking my phone to that center.
Hi, call them and make sure they don't proceed with the repair. I sense foul play. I hope the old screen still works so you can confirm that your data is still intact.

Just so you know, there's really no need to wipe your data during or after a screen replacement service (assuming the repair was done perfectly), except for few models of the Nokia Lumia; based on my experience.

I know of a trusted place you can get it fixed without any issues at Ikeja City Mall
Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by dominique(f): 10:16am On Nov 23, 2017
Thanks for your contributions, the agent called me again this morning and told me that the screen available cannot function with the phone . The screen is an higher version hence the phone has to be upgraded with all it's data lost. I've told her not to do anything with the phone and I'll be coming to collect the phone. Any ideas where else I can get the phone fixed without unnecessary delays?

CcMrval20
Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by kingreign(m): 11:40am On Nov 23, 2017
Them wan scam you. Fleeee!
dominique:
Thanks for your contributions, the agent called me again this morning and told me that the screen available cannot function with the phone . The screen is an higher version hence the phone has to be upgraded with all it's data lost. I've told her not to do anything with the phone and I'll be coming to collect the phone. Any ideas where else I can get the phone fixed without unnecessary delays?

CcMrval20

1 Like

Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by Gptech(m): 12:22pm On Nov 23, 2017
dominique:
Thanks for your contributions, the agent called me again this morning and told me that the screen available cannot function with the phone . The screen is an higher version hence the phone has to be upgraded with all it's data lost.
Wonders indeed shall never end, higher version screen? For their mind, dem don catch mugu shocked.

7 Likes

Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by MarkWayne89: 2:05pm On Nov 23, 2017
A screen change is not related to storage or your phone's software. And they shouldn't do the factory reset and erase your data, unless other parts of the phone are damaged, which I highly doubt it.
Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by Donsammi(m): 3:34pm On Nov 23, 2017
Gptech:

Wonders indeed shall never end, higher version screen? For their mind, dem don catch mugu shocked.

hahah
I shock as I read that line...

at op.

collect your phone back..

screens just have a clip to which you gon just clip it on the phone board. and it's done.

1 Like

Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by Offpoint: 6:12pm On Nov 23, 2017
the upgrade part got me rolling... what manner of fuckery is that? collect your phone jejely ma...

starin at the engr like

2 Likes

Re: Should Changing A Phone Screen Involve Wiping Off Its Data? by sKeetz(m): 3:14am On Jan 10, 2018
Lmao

How did it go? Hope you got it fixed without issues?!?

(1) (Reply)

Spectranet Launches “EVO” Mifi To Celebrate Valentine’s Day. / Top Ethiopian Activist Blocked By Facebook For Posting Too Fast / Blackview Bv9000 Or Nomu S30 Or Poptel P9000 Max

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.