Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,643 members, 7,816,646 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Cassava Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cassava Farming (488 Views)

My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner / How To Start Cassava Farming In Nigeria / Need Advice On Cassava Farming. I'm A Beginner. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cassava Farming by hebex12(m): 2:58pm On Nov 24, 2017
[color=#770077][/color]

Hello my fellow nairalander please I need you all to advised and direct me on how to plant and make money from cassava cause I had plan to venture into it comes 2018...

Please help a brother to know how much needed to invest and things to do

Thanks so much

CC:farmtech pavore9
Re: Cassava Farming by nurey(m): 8:31pm On Nov 24, 2017
cassava farming isn't easy but cassava is an hardy crop.

if you want to plant cassava, the most appropriate variety would be TME419, good for most industrial processes wishing to use cassava as a raw material.

the first step to follow as a farmer is land/site selection. A good soil and fallow land would be appropriate to reduce cost of production,after site selection I would advice you plant cassava by April/may when the first rains start dropping to make working on the soil easy. also weeds thrive during raining season so if you plant extremely close to raining season you will weed taya. cassava needs atleast a month of steady rain to be able to do well.

buy any herbicide containing glyphosate and spray at 2 to 3L per hectare, you can leave the land for 2 weeks after that let them do ridges to the land. you have saved money on manual clearing and while ridging they can clear the debris at the same time.

after ridges you need cassava stem, you need 60 bundles for an hectare at around 500 per bundle

immediately after spraying you need post emergence herbicides for seeds exposed to germination during ridging (you can't kill weeds totally grin) I would advice 2-4D amide (2L/ha) and altrazine (2kg/ha) they are both selective herbicides and will kill seeds and sprouts of broadleaf weed and grasses which are the major weeds you would encounter. you can mix them together and spray no issues.

don't worry the herbicides won't affect the already planted stem. then you need to continuously maintain the farm as weeds show face I used majorly paraquat which is a contact herbicide, it would kill the cassava if it touches its leaves, I use shield spray to do this (find experienced hands for this)

with good management, you can get 30tons of cassava after 10 to 12months, if you sell @ 20k per ton without transportation you would make 600k, if you play your cards well you can make a good profit after removing cost of production.

there is more profit if you convert to garri/flour/starch but a mini processing factory would cost around 300 to 500k for local assembly
Re: Cassava Farming by hebex12(m): 8:59pm On Nov 24, 2017
nurey:
cassava farming isn't easy but cassava is an hardy crop.

if you want to plant cassava, the most appropriate variety would be TME419, good for most industrial processes wishing to use cassava as a raw material.

the first step to follow as a farmer is land/site selection. A good soil and fallow land would be appropriate to reduce cost of production,after site selection I would advice you plant cassava by April/may when the first rains start dropping to make working on the soil easy. also weeds thrive during raining season so if you plant extremely close to raining season you will weed taya. cassava needs atleast a month of steady rain to be able to do well.

buy any herbicide containing glyphosate and spray at 2 to 3L per hectare, you can leave the land for 2 weeks after that let them do ridges to the land. you have saved money on manual clearing and while ridging they can clear the debris at the same time.

after ridges you need cassava stem, you need 60 bundles for an hectare at around 500 per bundle

immediately after spraying you need post emergence herbicides for seeds exposed to germination during ridging (you can't kill weeds totally grin) I would advice 2-4D amide (2L/ha) and altrazine (2kg/ha) they are both selective herbicides and will kill seeds and sprouts of broadleaf weed and grasses which are the major weeds you would encounter. you can mix them together and spray no issues.

don't worry the herbicides won't affect the already planted stem. then you need to continuously maintain the farm as weeds show face I used majorly paraquat which is a contact herbicide, it would kill the cassava if it touches its leaves, I use shield spray to do this (find experienced hands for this)

with good management, you can get 30tons of cassava after 10 to 12months, if you sell @ 20k per ton without transportation you would make 600k, if you play your cards well you can make a good profit after removing cost of production.

there is more profit if you convert to garri/flour/starch but a mini processing factory would cost around 300 to 500k for local assembly

Thanks so much for sharing this idea with me...but I did appreciate if I could have access to your digit to talk better cause I'm really ready to do this comes 2018
Re: Cassava Farming by nurey(m): 9:07pm On Nov 24, 2017
hebex12:

Thanks so much for sharing this idea with me...but I did appreciate if I could have access to your digit to talk better cause I'm really ready to do this comes 2018

WhatsApp the number in my signature and I will get back to you as soon as I can

(1) (Reply)

Kingz Agro Allied Nigeria Ltd: Thank You For Your Patronage In 2017 / U Have Try D Rest Its High Time You Use D Best / Who Needs Cashew Nuts?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.