Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,812,999 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner (26452 Views)

My Cucumber Farming Dairy (pilot Phase) / My Cucumber Farm Dairy / My Soybean Farming Dairy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:58pm On Jun 09, 2020
Actually this is my first post on nairaland although have been a member for years now. Am currently in benue state Nigeria where am on the verge of doing something I love and that's farming... This thread is my personal agricultural story on farming cassava.. corrections, advices and positive inputs are all welcome..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ublight: 11:34pm On Jun 09, 2020
come bk and update this post when u have started something. Do not come here without anything to show
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 3:04pm On Jun 10, 2020
Hello everyone, so before I give a break down of today's farming activities, I think I should drop more information about the land.. The proposed cassava capacity to be farmed locally here is called ULA anf we farming 20 ULA... An ULA is basically 400 heaps so that means the farm land will contain a total of 8,000 heaps and we plan to plant 2 cassava stem per heap... So I think that should give u guys a basic idea of land size... It's almost an hectare.......

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 3:04pm On Jun 10, 2020
ublight:
come bk and update this post when u have started something. Do not come here without anything to show
sorry sir I post after the days activities
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 3:06pm On Jun 10, 2020
Today Wednesday 10th June we bought a carton of RAKEOUT from the market it contains 12 one litre bottles.. this will be used to spray the land to kill all weeds, shrups and a few pest also..
We estimate using a bottle to spray a land size of 800heaps with a remainder of 2bottles..
Pics of the land b4 spraying, I will be posting pictures of the spraying process and after.. Note RAKEOUT takes as little as 3days to wipe of weeds..

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 3:09pm On Jun 10, 2020
A picture of the land b4 the chemical is applied

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Elzakzaky: 3:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
I wish you all the best, bro. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:22pm On Jun 10, 2020
Elzakzaky:
I wish you all the best, bro. Thanks for sharing
Thanks sir.. farming is fun
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by safepaulooo(m): 4:58pm On Jun 10, 2020
Good day. I just stumbled on your post and immediately shared your exitement because I intend going on same route. How do I reach you?

willybaby:
Thanks sir.. farming is fun
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:26pm On Jun 10, 2020
Good evening everyone, due to the locality of the farming settlement area the mobile network is terrible so I will be posting on this thread mostly in the evening when the days job is done...
AN UPDATE TO THE THREAD..
In order to maximize profit and reduce risk of a loss, a little more money was added to the initially budgeted amount and we will be commencing work on a second farm tomorrow this will be 2000HEAPS smaller than the initial stay tuned work starts tomorrow..

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by safepaulooo(m): 10:56pm On Jun 10, 2020
L
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by safepaulooo(m): 10:57pm On Jun 10, 2020
How do I contact you?

willybaby:
Good evening everyone, due to the locality of the farming settlement area the mobile network is terrible so I will be posting on this thread mostly in the evening when the days job is done...
AN UPDATE TO THE THREAD..
In order to maximize profit and reduce risk of a loss, a little more money was added to the initially budgeted amount and we will be commencing work on a second farm tomorrow this will be 2000HEAPS smaller than the initial stay tuned work starts tomorrow..
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 1:19pm On Jun 11, 2020
safepaulooo:
How do I contact you?

zero eight zero six two four two nine seven seven eight

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 1:22pm On Jun 11, 2020
Just got back from my the farm and would love to update you all on today's happening.

Actually today I was woken up by my farm manager as early as 4am that the labourers were on there way to the farm and I should come observe things.. I got there around 8am and guess what the heaps were already 80percent done.. attached below is pictures

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 1:23pm On Jun 11, 2020
Remember the total number of heaps to be formed is 6,000

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 1:26pm On Jun 11, 2020
Vertical shots of d farm end to end so far...
The leafs u see standing is a local form of each labourer keeping count of his work.. for easy mode of payment..
The amount paid for a cluster of 400heaps is 1,600

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 1:28pm On Jun 11, 2020
More pictures loading.. actually I tried not to include pictures of my labourers as a form of respect to there privacy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 1:32pm On Jun 11, 2020
So far so good thats what we were able to accomplish today..
Tomorrow we have a lot planned..
1. Completion of our heaps
2. Buying of cassava stem to be planted
3. Spraying of premergence chemical before planting this will keep the new farm weed free for months.. more info tomorrow..
Stay tuned questions, advices and inputs are welcome
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by TheNigerianPers: 8:32pm On Jun 11, 2020
Well Done Op
Following.

What are the benefits of ridges over non-ridge form of planting.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 10:04pm On Jun 11, 2020
TheNigerianPers:
Well Done Op
Following.

What are the benefits of ridges over non-ridge form of planting.
it's believed heaps make for a better harvest.. and with heaps it's easier to weed
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by safepaulooo(m): 11:41pm On Jun 11, 2020
willybaby:
Just got back from my 1heactre farm and would love to update you all on today's happening.

Actually today I was woken up by my farm manager as early as 4am that the labourers were on they way to the farm and I should come observe things.. I got there around 8am and guess what my heaps where already 80percent done.. attached below is pictures

Well done bro. Looking ahead, do you have a company ready to buy up your cassava tubers or you plan to process and add value
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:52am On Jun 12, 2020
safepaulooo:

Well done bro. Looking ahead, do you have a company ready to buy up your cassava tubers or you plan to process and add value
goodmorning actually due to a tight budget I planned to sell it off when it's due but I just might process it into cassava flakes and sell for a higher profit

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:56am On Jun 12, 2020
Good morning all, am actually typing this post live from the farm.. never knew the mobile network here was this good.. The major work that was suppose to be done today was spraying of the farm for premergence and finishing the heaps but yesterday night a very heavy rain fell and spraying has been postponed to tomorrow...
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:58am On Jun 12, 2020
This chemical is called rootout and it prevents weeds from germinating on the new farm for as much as 4months.. this makes the newly planted cassava stem grow well

1 Share

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:59am On Jun 12, 2020
Pictures of workers completing the heaps

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:00am On Jun 12, 2020
Rooter powder will be used with a combination of other herbicides to make it more effective

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:03am On Jun 12, 2020
Road to the farm spoilt due to the heavy rain of last night. Attached is a picture of a locally made bridge... This river is very close by and can be used for irrigation

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:05am On Jun 12, 2020
Ok everyone.. remember contributions, questions etc are all welcome. But for now this is me signing out, am about to go count 6000heaps to make sure what I paid for has been done
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 9:40am On Jun 12, 2020
willybaby:
Rooter powder will be used with a combination of other herbicides to make it more effective
please could you enlighten us on how the combination will work and their names? and have you used it before? if yes, how was it's efficacy?
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 10:31am On Jun 12, 2020
ideepaul:

please could you enlighten us on how the combination will work and their names? and have you used it before? if yes, how was it's efficacy?
rooter powder basically stops weed germinating on d soil and has an effect on d soil for as long as 3months.. they are other products such as rooter powder the general name for them is premergence powder or chemical... Now the liquid herbicides is used to kill already growing weed.. so in combining them your basically killing already growing weeds and preventing new ones to grow also... I hope you understand

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by TheNigerianPers: 12:06pm On Jun 12, 2020
willybaby:
This chemical is called rootout and it prevents weeds from germinating on the new farm for as much as 4months.. this makes the newly planted cassava stem grow well

How much is this and how many do you need for a hectare?
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by TheNigerianPers: 12:08pm On Jun 12, 2020
willybaby:
rooter powder basically stops weed germinating on d soil and has an effect on d soil for as long as 3months.. they are other products such as rooter powder the general name for them is premergence powder or chemical... Now the liquid herbicides is used to kill already growing weed.. so in combining them your basically killing already growing weeds and preventing new ones to grow also... I hope you understand

Will you repeat this every 3 months?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Farmer Battles To Rescue Sheep Buried In Snow In Staffordshire (Pics, Video) / Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano / Why We Are Importing Grass By Minister Of Agriculture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.