Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

Ipad: My Ideal Computer - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ipad: My Ideal Computer (6668 Views)

Ideal Laptop For A 60k Budget? / How to choose an Ideal accounting software For The Nigerian Business Landscape / Please Help!what Is The Ideal System For Me To Use? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ipad: My Ideal Computer by lekside44(m): 7:12pm On Mar 25, 2010
Computers have undergone many revolutions since the creation of pc's. but it should interest every one that the ideal computer as just arrived in person of ipad computers: torch screen, nice interface (mimic of iPhones), wireless keyboard/ mouse, double as an ipod, doubles as a monitor, blue tooth, WIfi, just name it. Microsoft  will surely loose a lot of its market scope to this new gadget.
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by DualCore1: 7:23pm On Mar 25, 2010
"Ideal" is a relative term.

lekside44:

microsoft will surely loose a lot of its market scope to this new garget.
That's the killer line for every new gadget. The dudes at Microsoft should be as bored as I am now and should be yawning their way through cuz we know what to expect with "promising" gadgets.
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by Pittbaby(f): 2:37pm On Apr 02, 2010
just wondering what the market for Ipads will be in naija . since there is no USB drive only an adaptor thru the docking station for a camera kit and the 3G sim card for the the 3G version is a micro sim and not a regular sim which will have allowed jail breaking . All this translates to no internet connectivity in places like Naija where wireless connectivity is primarily through USB devices.
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by lekside44(m): 4:58pm On Apr 02, 2010
apple had to shift their launch date by 2 weeks. demand had already exceed supply. bill gate, the cup is about to turn over
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by blackweaver(m): 11:48pm On Apr 03, 2010
doesn't have usb port; an ipod can be put in your pocket; the only reason why people are makin so much noise about it is because it's apple and they've been very successful with the iphone and ipod; just wondering, how would one use it to connect to the internet with a usg modem?
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by Nobody: 12:07am On Apr 04, 2010
lekside has been seduced by steve jobs marketing skills - ipad an idal computer - something you can't multitask on  cheesy

or maybe he's believes all those mac/pc ads - sorry Ms groove is firmly back with windows 7, something he seems to have missed entirely

maybe it would be good as an ebook reader

interesting though - no manufacturer wants to be caught unawares the way they were with netbooks - the number of ipad clones out there is something else

wonder why the linux crowd haven't taken it up with apple and their mania for locking their hardware
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by blackweaver(m): 12:36am On Apr 04, 2010
i hink it has something to do with the fact that most ofthe linux folks have absolutely no intention of coughing up God knows how many dollars to buy hardware that has even less functionality thana budget pc but costs a whole lot more; besides i don't think there were too many discussions on the netbook for that matter; besides microsoft is the enemy; one one linux is competing against on the x86 architecture, we have no business with niche products that may or may not flop and run on some architecture that we are not quite sure of, but really it;'s because of that hardware lock in that i decided i wasn't interested in apple products
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by Nobody: 12:59am On Apr 04, 2010
besides i don't think there were too many discussions on the netbook for that matter

thats what i mean - the netbook came like a thief in the night - no one expected them to take off - this time everyone expects the ipad to take off, hence the clones
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by samir101ng(m): 1:20am On Apr 04, 2010
Nigerians and Effyzie  shocked shocked shocked

One of the best lessons i ever learned from Apple was the Iphone. Those people that couldn't afford it & spent over N100k to buy it now look like fools. Before you know it, there will be Ipad 3G and then Ipad 3GS. Thats if you dont get mugged brandishing it about to impress people. Or your baby nephew takes it and smashes it onto the ground or pours akamu on it. hehehehe. The thing is too fragile men !!
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:00am On Apr 04, 2010
sorry for sounding really obtuse but what does the device really do?
its not a ful fledged pc, its not a portable device for music or sumtin so?

besides as i learnt about the iphone, those things are just a status symbol thing, the iphone really is gonna make ur life miserable, simply because you are in a world of your own!!! go to the iphone thread in phone section and laugh your heart out, jail break, hack, this that etc etc. hell to even browse on the thing in nigeria is a major project plus ur digging a wide hole in your pocket.

whts wrong witha smart phone/ipod combo?

besides while we are at it please am looking to buy meself a ipod, not the fancy new ones o, those types that make all those funny clicks , old skool grin grin grin grin
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by Djcn: 1:48pm On Apr 04, 2010
Apple is very much welcome into the tablet pc world. There are variants of tablets in the pc industry and we hope the ipad will stand out. The hype wasn't as much as the iphone becos people are learning lessons from technology and its out-turn of gadgets everyday. Look before you leap.
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by 4peace(m): 4:08pm On Apr 04, 2010
we shall see what happen
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by DoubleN(m): 10:16am On Apr 05, 2010
The Crappiest way to spend $600!. No Multi-tasking,camera or USB Port??What the hell makes it a PC then?? undecided
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by lekside44(m): 11:45am On Apr 05, 2010
well with the multitasking, apple has to do something about that. with usb there are ext usb port that can link to your system thru blue tooth
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by samir101ng(m): 12:34pm On Apr 05, 2010
lekside44:

well with the multitasking, apple has to do something about that. with usb there are ext usb port that can link to your system thru blue tooth

Your statement above has just proved our points and rendered your original post useless. Imagine a computer in the 21st century that cannot multi-task or have just 1 usb port. If apple wants to market the ipad as an ebook reader then let them do so. But they are selling it like a touchscreen macbook. Any extra effort on your behalf is unnecessary wahala and does not justify the $600 you are about to spend.
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by blackweaver(m): 5:39pm On Apr 05, 2010
link usb through bluetooth? now that's one of the daftest things i ever heard -ok maybe not quite but do you know the maximum speed of usb 2.0? 480 mbps (about 60mb/s) at least theoretically but under normal circumstances one should be able to get up to half that speed 240mbps (30mb/s) ; even the old usb 1.1 peaks at about 40mbps (5mb/s) and one should be able to get up to half that speed 20mbps (2.5mb/s); now your bluetooth 2.0 peaks at 2.1 mbps or ~250kb/s so unless you're using bluetooth for low data transfer devices like keyboards and mice it's an absolute pain - it will take me 20 secs just to send a 5mb file to a flash drive connected via an external usb device, what if i wanted to send a 50mb file? and the reason why apple didn't include it was 'cos they wanted a smooth exterior - or something like that; couldn't they just put a cover that they could slide over the port when not in use? for myself i am totally NOT interested in the ipad
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by flyuche(m): 10:01pm On Apr 05, 2010
mr lekside you call the ipad a computer? that thing is powered by a phone OS.
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by ElRazur: 11:15pm On Apr 05, 2010
No multi-tasking
No USB ports
No Replaceable battery
No fully fledged system
etc

How is that ideal computer? Heck it is not even a computer in my book, but a PDA with a large screen and wifi bolted on to it.

Anyone who buys one as a replacement for a PC needs help. Even a note book which is some few hundreds pounds cheaper is better.
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by obinna5000(m): 11:24pm On Apr 05, 2010
ElRazur:

No multi-tasking
No USB ports
No Replaceable battery
No fully fledged system
etc

How is that ideal computer? Heck it is not even a computer in my book, but a PDA with a large screen and wifi bolted on to it.

Anyone who buys one as a replacement for a PC needs help. Even a note book which is some few hundreds pounds cheaper is better.

@ElRazur
Abeg, shake me jare. cheesy cheesy IPAD - Ideal computer indeed.
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by violent(m): 11:44pm On Apr 05, 2010
The Ipad is really nothing but a really big Iphone without the call and message feature.

and to think the crap comes with a maximum of 60 Gig memory is far from being motivating, . . .and what were they thinking to have omitted a USB function?. . .most stuffs have one these days!

I'd bet my last dollar that Microsoft will beat this dudes down with its new "courier tablet"

Apple sure got it wrong this time!

A picture of the Microsoft courier

Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by Nobody: 11:47pm On Apr 05, 2010
violent:

The Ipad is really nothing but a really big Iphone without the call and message feature.

and to think the crap comes with a maximum of 60 Gig memory is far from being motivating, . . .and what were they thinking to have omitted a USB function?. . .most stuffs have one these days!

I'd bet my last dollar that Microsoft will beat this dudes down with its new "courier tablet"

Apple sure got it wrong this time!

A picture of the Microsoft courier

The iPad is good no doubt but I think I prefer my Amazon Kindle.
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by maedan(f): 11:49pm On Apr 05, 2010
Hmm. I can bet good money that many of you naysayers will end up buying this "gadget" (for those who can afford it wink) No one thought touch-screen gadgets will catch on, but now look at the smart phones and music players. Apple never get it wrong (usually cheesy)
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by lojik(m): 11:52pm On Apr 05, 2010
the ipad is not a sleek tablet pc, i see it more like an oversized smart phone.
I'd rather stick to my Hp Tablet pc with ms windows n windows mobile touchscreen smartphone than fall a victim of d ipad hype.
mowitemi!
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by mamagee3(f): 12:01am On Apr 06, 2010
I have a feeling that this product is being over-hyped like it's going to be that great. tongue
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by violent(m): 12:15am On Apr 06, 2010
The Ipad is another apple product for computer illiterate idíots, the stuff would have been complete if it came with a free dummy guide.

so imagine reading my email that has a link in it and I want to follow the link,. . . . . no well you see you can't just do that the iPad can only do one thing at a time.
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by Nobody: 12:15am On Apr 06, 2010
Trust me, if you need an ebook reader with a little more capabilities then get an iPad - At least I didn't regret buying one. At the End of the day Microsoft is still Microsoft.

Oh And, I'm not an Apple Fan. Both Apple and Microsoft are great companies that churn out great products, the problem is, none of their products comes with the all the features I want.
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by sosilly1(m): 12:19am On Apr 06, 2010
Not sure where this idea that the Ipad is here to replace or challenge your everyday pc, comes from? Some posts mention that it will be a threat to Microsoft, in what way? i read mentions of smart-phones in the same sentence as Ipad, why? i don't remember Mr Jobs & his goons mention the Ipad to be substitute to a pc, laptop or smartphone, do you? The Ipad is designed to be a better way to surf the web & web related stuff, a lightweight in terms of hardware & software. How well it does this? I don't know cuz i'm yet to see/touch/use one,

This product is something users of net-books will get, if you primarily use a pc/mac/laptop then the concept of the Ipad will be lost on you tongue. i don't get it myself, so not trying to insult anyone, holster your weapons, As usual it is an apple product, nothing from that side is cheap, it is claimed that over 300,000 units have been sold already, kudos to Apple & their marketing skills,

Nehuu, in summary
- Ipad not a smartphone/pc killer just Apple trying to create a market/niche for itself, pointless exercise? 300,000 units & counting will suggest not.
- Everyone has different needs/wants in taste & technology, one mans meat blah blah, if its not for you, no need to get mad at Mr Jobs & his goons.
- Would i get one? HELL NO!! smiley smiley smiley
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by Hotstepper(f): 12:26am On Apr 06, 2010
I think every1 should know the secret of Apple now starting with new 4eva new i pod upgrades and the iphone, now it is ipad, probably by summer now, a new version of 1pad will emerge, even with blackberry, I have learnt that one should not buy all them electronics once its out cux within 2 months, a new version is sure to come out
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by Nobody: 12:27am On Apr 06, 2010
What is ideal abt it?

This is def not a professional laptop, more for entertainment sha.

Great price. . . . . but not my style
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by Phony200(m): 12:35am On Apr 06, 2010
It's meant to fill the void between the phone and the computer. Why can't you connect your iPhone to your iPad or your Macbook to it? What can you store in 16gb nowadays? Good luck with spending your money on effizy toys. I'll rather buy a new wardrobe of garments.
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by violent(m): 12:39am On Apr 06, 2010
Even the Microsoft Slate that is about to be released makes the Ipad a toy!

Ipad           Ms Slate

Screen size . . . . ,  . .    9.7inches                 10inches

Operating System. . . . ,   .Iphone OS             Windows 7

Adobe flash support. . . . . . No                        Yes

Multitasking. . . . . . . . . . . .No                          Yes

Camera. . . . . ,   ,  . . . . . . . No                         Yes

USB. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . No Yes

Battery life. . . . . . . . . . . . 10 hours                Unknown

Storage. . . . . . ,  ,  . . .32 Gig, and 64 Gig       64 Gig

Applications,  . . . . .  . Apple store app           Windows application

Price:. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .500-800 dollars           600 dollars
Re: Ipad: My Ideal Computer by Nobody: 12:46am On Apr 06, 2010
^^^ damn!!!!

I need a new compu. . . . checking up on MS Slate

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

✈✳✅ SOLD❎❎❎ lenovo X1 Carbon Core I7 Touchbar 8gb Ram /SSD-128GB / Cheap Sale!!! Hp Pentiuem M Windows Xp For Sale / Just Arrived UK Used HP 6730b Core 2 4GB Ram At Cheap Price. Click For Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.