Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students (19668 Views)

Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. / The Pains Of Living In Port Harcourt (photos) / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ec3l(m): 5:14am On Mar 26, 2010
Hi everyone, name's kasie.
I'm travelling to Ghana by August to commence my studies.
I have a few concerns though,
does anyone here know what's the average cost of living at Ghana for students per month?
Secondly, are there jobs available for students/undergrads with which i can support myself or will totally be dependant on Dad?
Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ichommy(m): 9:19am On Mar 26, 2010
@ ec3l education in Ghana is okay. but i will advised you to try private universities, don't be afraid there fee is also cheap. Am sorry i cant list the universities website there cos i don't want to be banned wink but i can tell you the name of the school knutsford so search it at Google there school fee for Nigeria student is 800$ per year and the registration fee is 50 $ so you have too do the the calculation your self the school is in Legion Ghana the school is okay cos i have some friend there if you have any more question list it here cos i cant paste my e-mail my oga JUSTWISE and co wont allow that grin joking

Requirements

Admission Policies
The University College admits all qualified students who possess distinctive academic promise, high sense of professionalism and ethical values without reference to race, ethnicity, religion, politics, nationality or country of citizenship.

Admission Requirements:
1. General Certificate of Education (Ordinary and Advanced Levels):Passes at credit level in at least five (5) subjects (including English Language and Mathematics) in the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) Ordinary Level and three (3) passes at the Advanced Level of the GCE with General Paper. One of the Advanced Level passes should be a grade D or better. Two ‘A’ Level passes at Grade C or better will be considered.

2. Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSSC): Passes in Core English, Core Mathematics and Core Integrated Science/Agric Science/Social Studies and three (3) elective subjects with an aggregate score of 24 or better in the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE). WASSCE grades equivalent to Ghana SSSCE grades stated above shall be accepted. GBCE and ABEC (WAEC) equivalent are acceptable.

3. Professional Qualification: Candidates with passes in recognised professional qualification at the Foundation and Intermediate Level and an interview shall be considered for admission.

4. Diploma and HND Holders: Candidates with Diploma and HND qualifications from recognised universities or institutions in programmes related to the college’s programmes shall be considered for admission at Level 200 and 300 respectively

5. Mature Student Entry Requirements: Candidates aged at least 25 years with basic academic qualification and who write and pass an entrance examination in English and Mathematics and an interview shall be considered for admission.for admission.

6. Transfer Students: Candidates who have been formally admitted as regular students to a Bachelor’s Degree course in any recognised university or institution and made satisfactory progress over not less than one academic year may be considered for admission as a transfer student.

7. Visiting / Occasional / Foreign Students: The University College shall admit other students for varying durations in the Bachelor’s Degree programme, as Visiting, Occasional and Foreign students.

Tuition Fees

Current Charges
The following charges are for the period beginning in January, 2008. The college reserves the right to adjust charges due to economic changes at any time before charges are incurred by the students.
Tuition and Non-refundable Fees
Application for Admission Fees:

A. Ghanaian/African Students: USD 35

B. International Students USD 50
Tuition per Semester:

A. Ghanaian/African Students:
BSc. in Business Administration USD 800
BSc in Computer Science USD 800

B. International Students:
BSc. in Business Administration USD 1500
BSc. in Computer Science USD 1500
Graduation Fee USD 50

I THINK THIS HELP A LITTLE wink
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ec3l(m): 11:37pm On Mar 28, 2010
I'm there are Nlers studying at ghana, why aint nobody replying me na?
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ichommy(m): 9:36am On Mar 29, 2010
@ poster i reply but my post what deleted sad but go to Google and search knutsford university Ghana every info is there and there school fee is 800$ per year and 50$ for registration

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ec3l(m): 1:24pm On Mar 29, 2010
Thanks Ichommy but what i needed was just a rough estimate of how much an average student at Ghana spends per month. And are there jobs available?
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ichommy(m): 2:43pm On Mar 29, 2010
knutsford university will help you about job. about daily expense it depend on your life style
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ec3l(m): 5:52pm On Mar 29, 2010
Thanks Ichommy, i guess i'll check it out then, i mean knutsford.
Buf if anyone still has something to add, i'm listening
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ichommy(m): 6:02pm On Mar 29, 2010
@ ec3l welcome try to check the website wink
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by davmor(m): 9:04pm On Mar 29, 2010
Pls i want to be there too. In 9ija, wat amount iñ 8000$
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ichommy(m): 2:00pm On Mar 30, 2010
davmor:

Pls i want to be there too. In 9ija, wat amount iñ 8000$

@ davmor i cant get your question
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by agapeLuv1(m): 2:13pm On Mar 30, 2010
For all those going to school in Ghana don't belive what they told you, it may not turn out that, I have a small INFOPACK 4u to help you make money to keep your happy when the going gets ruff, download it now b4 its snatched away. cheers smiley

Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by tkovie2002(m): 2:54pm On Mar 30, 2010
agape Luv:

For all those going to school in Ghana don't belive what they told you, it may not turn out that, I have a small INFOPACK 4u to help you make money to keep your happy when the going gets ruff, download it now b4 its snatched away. cheers smiley

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WHAT BOOL-SHEET!!!
WHy would u just wake up and get ur dirty fingers on ur keyboard and ask the poster not to believe what he was told just because u want to sell ur cheap Infopack infotrash that has never made u rich before You better stop hating and derailing the thread and start contributing meaningful things to this thread or simply walk-out, ok??

@Poster, I know life in Ghana is relatively cheap compared to Nigeria, but an advise from an experienced person would be best. Goodluck!

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by bighead1(m): 2:56pm On Mar 30, 2010
but i think the fees for international students from any country outside ghana was about 3500 dollars or so
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ruemu(m): 3:16pm On Mar 30, 2010
Once again, Ghana next door is getting it right,
Imagine admission just in the case of the USA.

Nigeria with all it's vast human and natural resources, playing padi padi politics with everything even with it future leaders EDUCATION.
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ichommy(m): 3:19pm On Mar 30, 2010
big head:

but i think the fees for international students from any country outside ghana was about 3500 dollars or so

As for knutsford there school fee is 800$
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by Aglah1976(f): 3:27pm On Mar 30, 2010
@Poster,
First of all i want you to know Ghana is a very wonderful country to live with friendly face and good hearted people around every here and then
but based on your inquiries u need to know that nothing is cheap anywhere as far as Africa is concerned as a whole, so do your findings well online through google and information websites of the school u wanted to apply for.
As per job placement through school, OMO DONT BE DECIEVED every seller has its own marketing strategy, dont come to Ghana expecting to get job right from school, it doesnt work like that, GHANA IS STILL AFRICA,
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by sleekman(m): 5:01pm On Mar 30, 2010
Whoever posted this knutsford university college thing is an information alteration disseminator. The school is $800/semester & the school operates a 3 semester/session calendar. Pls Nigerians or probably a Ghanian please give accurate info.
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by okechukwu3: 8:13pm On Mar 30, 2010
Ichommy
How can one secure university admission in Ghana ,a friend of mine passed jamb and post jamb but because she did use the university as first choice they have not given her admission.
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by beefblaze(m): 12:30am On Mar 31, 2010
@ Poster:
I attended the University of Ghana (Legon) in the Accra from 2005-2009, and just got passed out from the NYSC camp in Abuja today.
Basically, schooling in Gh is fun,if of course you know how to partition your time with poise.
I for instance came out with a BSc in Physics and Comp.Sc, which i bet you will make your stay on campus a much more desired
one,coz workload wasn't that frenetic (to me though!)
Being the premier university i wouldn't like to dawdle much on the quality of education, but then i profess i appreciated the little it imparted on me, both
academically and socially.
Back to your question; i'll let u know that life is a bit expensive there depending of course on your way of life as someone suggested earlier on.
My fees for instance including accommodation ranged between $6500-$7500 and of course feeding averagely could be estimated from $5 to $10 depending on
your regime.
As to what pertains to work, don't even ramble to that sphere coz u might end up loosin focus academically.
Those were my 2 cents hope it works for you.
BTW what school have you been admitted to?
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ec3l(m): 6:28am On Mar 31, 2010
Thanks everyone.
Beefblaze i'm going 2 university of cape coast ok?
Do u think 200 usd per month could see me through?
(excluding accomodation ofcourse)
i just need to be sure coz i wouldnt want to be caught unawares sort of.
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by nattyspice: 12:43pm On Mar 31, 2010
i lived in ghana for five years and my best advice is to stay back and school in nigeria.privateuniversities are expesive coz most are located in accra.you wil also encounter language barriers coz most ghanians prefer communicating in twi and ga ,the two most spoken languages in accra.if you are financially sound its ok to go and school over there,rather you can go on a vacation.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ayceee(f): 1:16pm On Mar 31, 2010
d cost of living is relatively cheap altho' dat wud largely depend on ur way of life and d cost of livin in cape coast, i skooled in KNUST kumasi so my contribution is primarily based on the cost of living in kumasi, n it was alryt, skool recommends an average of $1000 per sem, but if u r careful u cn save some of dat amt, cos i know i used to go bk home with abt $300- $400 every semester
yeah u cn spend $200 a mth altho' i think u cn still spend less than that if u manage ur finances well,
back in skul then ppl used to sell stuffs like clothes, makeup, attachments n weavons,
there were also a number of boys who operated a taxi system n it was highly lucrative according to them,
cheers, i hope ds helps smiley cool
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ayceee(f): 1:25pm On Mar 31, 2010
any job u take on wud hv to b thru a private arrangement as d skul doesnt organise jobs for students, i howeva think dt if u decide to get a job it shd b sumthing u can do without relegating your education to the backseat, wink just ma thot,
if 'dad' gives u d bulk of ur pocket money for the semester, there wont b any need to constantly ask 'dad' for money n besides u r still very young n hv evry right to b totally dependent on'dad', wink grin
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by thameamead(f): 1:45pm On Mar 31, 2010
ruemu:

Once again, Ghana next door is getting it right,
Imagine admission just in the case of the USA.

Nigeria with all it's vast human and natural resources, playing padi padi politics with everything even with it future leaders EDUCATION.

GBAM!!!!!!!!!
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by Nobody: 2:13pm On Mar 31, 2010
They don't teach English in Ghana? Relatively cheap and it depend. What is that for 800USD?
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by davmor(m): 2:37pm On Mar 31, 2010
Hi, actualy I wanted to know which university is federal in Ghana. I also need all it will take for me to get admitted. Or can u pls tel me all about university of Acrra Ghana.
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by KevinE1: 2:57pm On Mar 31, 2010
I live and attended Uni in Ghana. Everything here is bloody expensive, especially living expenses. Forget looking for a "part time" job as there are hardly any for the Ghanaians themselves. The Ghana Cedis is their local currency and it goes like water! A $100 is like 146 GH and that can go in a minute if you arent careful. All in all it is a nice place to live, electricity is quite stable and the place is relatively safe. However the average Ghanaian is very xenophobic towards Nigerians and they are a very petty minded bunch. They see themselves in competition with us and use every medium to compare themselves to Nigeria! Come with lots of Daddy's cash for a pleasant stay because averagely you would need about $3000 for housing and living expenses annually alone (and am a stingy guy and struggled with that type of money,lol).

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR STUDIES! READ HARD AND NO "APHRODIASIAC NITE CLUB, RHAPSODY'S, TANTRA AND SATURDAY NIGHTS AT CHARMS FOR YOU, lol.
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by novexme(m): 4:38pm On Mar 31, 2010
@poster just 2 add 2 wat oda's ve bein sayin, life in ghana is quite expensive, but it depends on ur lifestyle. I Schooled in uni of ghana, legon 4 3yrs, n i knw hw twas, thou i like 2 ve my fun, but 4 an average student in cape coast $200 monthly Shld be k, but I'll advice u ve close 2 $500, u can neva say wat will come up, its beta 2 ve more dan less. About jobs 4get it, except u want 2 start something of ur own, it also depends on d type of workload ur course ll exert on u. Finally if u don't spend d money finish in a month u cld put it on sometin u find interestin l8r on. Some ghanians re nice but majority hate 9ja's guts.
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by eros(m): 12:54am On Apr 01, 2010
Just passing by . . . . . cool cool lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by salamander(m): 9:01am On Apr 01, 2010
@Poster

Cape Coast is the educational and tourist hub of Ghana. As most people advice, your expense will depend on your life style.

I however do not agree with those who said Ghanaians are mostly xenophobic. Come and count the number of people selling VCDs around the capital, and you will find out 90% are from Nija. Well, maybe the poster is talking from experience. But, in my neighbourhood, I can say one out of every 5 persons you meet is from Nigeria. We do everything together. Come to think of it, don't you wonder what I'm doing on this forum? One person can always make a difference.

So my advice is; come, stay, study, have fun. avoid bad company and get your grades!

If you need further assistance, just email me: salamandercat@yahoo.com
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by ec3l(m): 9:26am On Apr 01, 2010
I really appreciate every one's contribution here.
thanks y'all, keep em coming
Re: Cost Of Living At Ghana? Students by qedbaba(m): 3:02pm On Apr 02, 2010
@Kevin E,
you are very right about the attitude of Ghanaians to Nigerians. They act as if we have some beef or quarrel. I'm a Nigerian studying in GH too, Ashesi University to be precise, but I'v still got lots of time for Champs, Citizen Kofi, Tantra et al, Life in GH is fun though, but thats simply because I've gt lots of Daddy cash, lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Crash: Bell Helicopter Has No Black Box - Accident Investigation Bureau / Mother Of Boy Chased To Death By Osun JTF Demands N5bn Compensation / LASTMA Official Struggling With Driver In Motion (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.