Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,687 members, 7,816,798 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death (891 Views)

Paul Mackenzie Nthenge Told Followers To Starve Themselves, At Least 21 Dead / Ukrainain Soldiers Execute & Shoot The Legs Of Russian Prisoners Of War (Video) / Russia, Ukraine Exchange Prisoners Of War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death by Nobody: 5:39am On Nov 28, 2017
Prisoners at Haiti's main prison often starve to death, use their cell floors as toilets and wait up to eight years just to go on trial

- Haiti has the world's highest prison occupancy rate, with up to 100 prisoners sharing prison cells

- The prison's authorities say they do not receive enough funding from the government

- Prisoners at the National Penitentiary in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, survive in overcrowded conditions, often starve to death, use their cell floors as toilets and wait up to eight years just to go on trial.

Read more: https://www.tuko.co.ke/231442-see-worlds-congested-prison-prisoners-starve-death-wait-years-trial-photos-v.html#231442
[img]http://i.onthe.io/0fgjhs1t4negdpodd8.ca560143.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.onthe.io/0fgjhs6keojqf7mbm.5ca4407d.jpg[/img]

https://i.onthe.io/0fgjhsj3h72sjknmk.d348be76.jpg

https://i.onthe.io/0fgjhs7u5kcuf29ur.cd1c0129.jpg

https://i.onthe.io/0fgjhs51dt0fe4e1n.13591c10.jpg

https://i.onthe.io/0fgjhs7deouc3dmm3.dbac1b76.jpg

https://i.onthe.io/0fgjhsek78n63s64g.66a4ed58.jpg
Relatives bringing in food^^

https://i.onthe.io/0fgjhsn9vd1s2vsv8.3fd9c5ba.jpg
Re: World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death by 1bunne4lif(m): 5:46am On Nov 28, 2017
Tyranny

1 Like

Re: World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death by Nobody: 6:21am On Nov 28, 2017
Haiti just reminds you of sub-Saharan Africa,doesn't it? Unimaginable levels of poverty and corruption. Who would believe that this country is just the 2nd oldest country in the New World after the US? No one,I guess. Sounds totally unbelievable to be true.
Re: World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death by Nobody: 6:30am On Nov 28, 2017
mansakhalifa:
Haiti just reminds you of sub-Saharan Africa,doesn't it? Unimaginable levels of poverty and corruption. Who would believe that this country is just the 2nd oldest country in the New World after the US? No one,I guess. Sounds totally unbelievable to be true.
It is mind boggling, considering that here we sight our short period as nations as an excuse for underdevelopment. Its like a slum district in a poor African country.

I know they have the colonial tax to pay to France but they can find other sources of wealth. Its an Island!
Re: World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death by Nobody: 7:24am On Nov 28, 2017
@Muafrika2 The thing is the guys that have ruled Haiti since independence in 1804 have never really been there for the people. They just wanted to watch their own backs and protect their selfish interests and this started right from independence. Sounds familiar right? As for the "tax" owed to France,I heard that has been paid in full.
Re: World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death by Nobody: 7:31am On Nov 28, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@Muafrika2 The thing is the guys that have ruled Haiti since independence in 1804 have never really been there for the people. They just wanted to watch their own backs and protect their selfish interests and this started right from independence. Sounds familiar right? As for the "tax" owed to France,I heard that has been paid in full.
Wouldn't be surprised to find they spent that time as leaders looting from the country and investing all the loot in developed countries.
Re: World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 28, 2017
@Muafrika Even worse. There was one of them,Jean Claude Duvallier,nicknamed the "baby doc",who lavished millions of benjamins on just his wedding at a time when the vast majority of the country's population had nothing to live on. Can you beat that.
Re: World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 28, 2017
@Muafrika Even worse. There was one of them,Jean Claude Duvallier,nicknamed the "baby doc",who lavished millions of benjamins on just his wedding at a time when the vast majority of the country's population had nothing to live on. Can you beat that? That was in 1980.
Re: World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 28, 2017
Looks like his corruption paid off ...

Facts Legend
PEOPLE
20 Interesting Jean-Claude “Baby-Doc” Duvalier Facts
BY SANKALAN BAIDYA · PUBLISHED JUNE 24, 2014 · UPDATED OCTOBER 30, 2017

+1
Tweet
SHARES 5
We learned about Haiti’s ruthless dictator François Duvalier who became Haiti’s “President for Life”. After his death, it was the turn of his son Jean-Claude Duvalier to take the charge of the nation. Unfortunately, he too turned to be a ruthless dictator and became known to the world as a corruption artist because his regime, just like his father’s, was of suppression, terror and corruption. So today, we are going to learn 20 interesting Jean-Claude “Baby-Doc” Duvalier facts.

1. Jean-Claude Duvalier was known by the name Baby-Doc. Unlike his father Papa-Doc, Jean-Claude was not really a doctor but only bequeathed a similar name from his father.

2. Born on 3rd July, 1951, Baby-Doc became the world’s youngest person to become a president of a nation. He became Haiti’s head of the state at the age of 19 after his father died in 1971.

3. Jean-Claude Duvalier gave Haiti a reign of terror and corruption from 1971 to 1986 when he was overthrown by a popular uprising.

4. Baby-Doc was known for his notoriously lavish lifestyle. He married in 1980. His wedding was state sponsored and had cost 3 million US dollars!

5. He made millions of dollars through drugs trade and by selling human body parts from dead Haitians.

6. Baby-Doc’s regime was less tyrannical compared to his father’s during the initial years. He moved the power from Tontons Macoutes and gave it to the Leopard Battalion of regular army. Criticisms were allowed, press restrictions were released and attempts were made to improve education in the country. This invited foreign investment and also reopened the American financial aid that was cut off during 1961.

7. Though that was a good start made by Baby-Doc, the true nature of Jean-Claude Duvalier started showing up somewhere in 1978. It was in 1978 that Haitian expatriates living in Florida attempted to invade Haiti but they were all rounded up and eventually executed.

8. Baby-Doc once again reinstated the press restriction to prevent any newspaper criticism of his activities.

9. Baby-Doc and his associates embezzled millions of dollars that entered Haiti in form of foreign aid. Baby-Doc used to ride around in expensive sport cars and even sailed in extremely expensive yachts while the rest of Haiti was under grinding poverty.

10. Jean-Claude’s father had a legacy of supporting the black majority in Haiti but Baby-Doc had no intentions to walk the same path. He was instead so attracted to wealth that he became increasingly close to the mulattos (the light-skinned elite).

[GARD align=”center”]

11. Because of his lust for wealth, he eventually married a mulatto girl named Michelle Bennet in 1980. The wedding which had a total cost of $3 million remains the most expensive wedding in history.

12. Interestingly, Baby-Doc’s wife, Michelle Bennet was a kleptomaniac.

13. The widespread corruption throughout Haiti eventually led to revolts throughout Haiti. The uprising took maximum momentum after some thugs murdered 4 schoolgirls. Baby-Doc tried to dampen them momentum of the popular uprising by reducing the prices of staple food crops by 10%, closing various radio stations that were run independently and several other measures but he did not succeed.

14. Many business leaders and Duvalierists eventually spoke to Baby-Doc and convinced him to leave Haiti. Baby-Doc approached U.S. as asked for political asylum but U.S. refused and instead offered to help in leaving Haiti.

15. Baby-Doc eventually fled to France on 7th of February, 1986 along with his family and some other members of the Duvalier government. France actually declined his formal political asylum application but continued to live a luxurious life in exile in France.

18. According to the Global Transparency Report, Baby-Doc had amassed a wealth of anywhere between 300 and 800 million US dollars.
mansakhalifa:
@Muafrika Even worse. There was one of them,Jean Claude Duvallier,nicknamed the "baby doc",who lavished millions of benjamins on just his wedding at a time when the vast majority of the country's population had nothing to live on. Can you beat that? That was in 1980.
Re: World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2017
@fact number 1: his mother was also a nurse. So,he was the son of a "doc" and a nurse. @fact 4 some reports put the cost of the wedding at 7 million bucks. And yeah,he made hundreds of millions of dollars through looting and embezzlement because the U.S. was practically feeding him by giving him tons of money every year as aid because they saw the Duvallier dynasty as strong anti-communist allies in the cold war struggles of the times. But at the end of the day,what happened to all the money he looted? If you ask me I think he squandered it all cos I heard he died a bit broke. But Haiti has had worse leaders in history. Some were so bad that the citizens had to kill them in the most brutal fashion.
Re: World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 28, 2017
@mansakhalifa
Apparently his divorce cost a fortune. But I doubt it was the only cause. Big spenders tend to be terrible at planning, worse at saving.
Re: World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death by Nobody: 5:12pm On Nov 28, 2017
True. We can't lay the blame squarely on his divorce. The man lived for flashy things. One European journal remarked that the "fat boy lived for every thing fast-from fast cars to fast girls".
Re: World's Most Congested Prison Where Prisoners STARVE To Death by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 28, 2017
mansakhalifa:
True. We can't lay the blame squarely on his divorce. The man lived for flashy things. One European journal remarked that the "fat boy lived for every thing fast-from fast cars to fast girls".
grin

(1) (Reply)

Macron Tells Erdogan: No Chance Of Turkey Joining EU / . / China Has REMOVED ISRAEL From Its Online Maps, Including Baidu And Alibaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.