Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,534 members, 7,812,657 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu (10244 Views)

Those Who Want Naira To Be ₦400 To Dollar Are Living In A Dream World - Moghalu / Disquiet In CBN As Cardoso Retires ‘Emefiele’s Directors’ / Kingsley Moghalu Reveals The Problem With The Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by dre11(m): 1:31am On Dec 01, 2017
Ifeanyi Onuba, Abuja

A former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria , Prof. Kingsley Moghalu , on Thursday said the level of political interference in the operations of the apex bank was a major reason why the economy went into recession .

Moghalu , who is now the President , Institute for Governance and Economic Transformation , said this while delivering a paper at the Annual Directors ’ Conference organised by the Institute of Directors , Nigeria .

He spoke on the theme , ‘ Implementing best corporate governance practices in Nigeria ’ s public and private sectors ’ .

He noted that the level of political interference in the governance and activities of public sector corporations had robbed them of independence.
This , according to him , has left the institutions too weak to set and meet effective performance targets and focus on delivering real stakeholder value .

He stated , “ The central bank that was led by his royal highness (Emir of Kano , Muhammadu Sanusi II) is not what we are seeing today . We have seen a lot of interference in the work of the central bank and I say that that was a very important factor that led to the massive recession that we have experienced in this economy .

“ Corporate governance has very real consequences for our livelihood, for the quality of the economy and strength of the economy . ”

Moghalu said apart from political interference , the culture of patronage in the Nigerian public sector governance had led to such corporations being seen and utilised only as a reward system for partisan politics .

This , he argued , had left the institutions with little or no thought given to competence and performance of public corporations and their boards .

He said the apex bank , in its current form , lacked a board , adding that this was inimical to its operations .

Moghalu stated , “ The central bank , in the last few years, has not had a board . How is this possible that a central bank operates without a board ? So how is the corporate governance being run ? Is it just by the governor? Or is it by the governor and anyone who is not a member of the board ?

“ That is a question of the rule of law . The central bank Act is clear . It is one of the public corporations in this country that is very strong from the way it was conceptualised .

“ So you have a very clear role for the board . The President’ s approving authority comes up only in about three instances in the board . One is in investment , the second is in currency and the third is the auditors.

“ Most of the rest (approving authority ) lies in the board of directors and if the bank doesn ’ t have a board , I find it very problematic . ”

He cited the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation as another public corporation where massive financial obligations were being undertaken without board approval .
This , he noted, was not good corporate governance .

He said , “ The failure of corporate governance to take off in Nigeria’ s public sector is part of our country ’ s long -standing and continuing crisis of governance.

Nigerian citizens who are shareholders of a commercial company will demand accountability if those attributes are perceived to be absent , but they will not be as exercised by the failure of public corporations because they believe that these institutions exist to serve vested patronage interest rather than the public interest .

“ Examples include the evident and massive failures of corporate governance in the Niger Delta Commission and the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation. ”

http://punchng.com/political-interference-in-cbn-operations-led-to-recession-moghalu/

2 Likes

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by dodelight(m): 4:09am On Dec 01, 2017
I've always known that. But APC Lords and e-rats would rather blame previous administration.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by izombie(m): 4:15am On Dec 01, 2017
Oh thank God, he didn't blame PDP and jonathan.

13 Likes

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by Nobody: 4:35am On Dec 01, 2017
Political anti-Igbo Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu

----fixed

9 Likes

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by Firefire(m): 4:40am On Dec 01, 2017
All thanks to the dullardeen in-charge.

Let us wait for the reaction of the irredeemable Zone-Bs...

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by sarrki(m): 5:26am On Dec 01, 2017
Firefire:
All thanks to the dullardeen in-charge.

Let us wait for the reaction of the irredeemable Zone-Bs...

Simple English you can't interprete

Let me help you here

Pmb never interfere

Gej did he sacked sanusi, he allowed niinsance to interfere in their affairs

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by GreatEngineer(m): 5:38am On Dec 01, 2017
Not far from the truth, how can a president instruct the CBN Governor not to devalue Naira when all indices are pointing at that direction.
At the end everything still fall apart, leave these institutions for professional to handle it but politicians won't hear.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by sarrki(m): 5:47am On Dec 01, 2017
dodelight:
I've always known that. But APC Lords and e-rats would rather blame previous administration.

Gej interfered Alot

It was during Gej tenure that you can sign on a paper to collect billions from cbn

4 Likes

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by Firefire(m): 6:08am On Dec 01, 2017
sarrki:

Simple English you can't interprete

Let me help you here

Pmb never interfere

Gej did he sacked sanusi, he allowed niinsance to interfere in their affairs

I laugh at your sense of humor making mockery of your paymaster. grin

He stated , “ The central bank that was led by his royal highness (Emir of Kano , Muhammadu Sanusi II) is not what we are seeing today . We have seen a lot of interference in the work of the central bank and I say that that was a very important factor that led to the massive recession that we have experienced in this economy."

The olodo president with NEPA certificate interfering with matter beyond his knowledge. cheesy

35 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by uloewa: 6:16am On Dec 01, 2017
sarrki:

Gej interfered Alot

It was during Gej tenure that you can sign on a paper to collect billions from cbn

Go and learn how to spell SHAME

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by Nobody: 6:40am On Dec 01, 2017
Beyond politics we should be genuinely worried about the direction the Nigeria economy is heading due to unnecessary political interferences. When I studied the contents of the 2018 budget I lost hope for Nigeria. The budgeted revenue is unrealistic and the plan to borrow more money to fund the budget is not prudent.
Presently Nigeria is using one third of its revenue to service debts and yet we are still digging into more debts creating problems for future generations. The painful fact is that there is nothing to show that these borrowed funds are being used for value adding projects. The culture of waste and squandermania is the hallmark of 2018 budget. How do you call 2018 budget of consolidation when we have not achieved up 40 percent of implementation of the previous two budgets.
They say we are out of recession when we are actually going toward depression.
The CBN has been pumping billions of dollars to defend the naira yet the naira exchange rate is still over N350 to a dollar. Just imagine that these billions of Naira has been channelled to more productive projects that will generate employment. I laughed at the ignorance of the Finance Minister when she said the fact that our $3billion eurobond was over subscribed is an indicator of inventor's confidence. Why are these investors not investing in our real sector but are only interested investi g in our money market? I asked one money lender why he takes delight in lending money at higher rate to NNPC workers even when they are still owning him. He told me the best people to lend money to are those who don't know how to manage money but have a reliable source of payment. Give them more money to make them perpetual debtors. If the truth must be told we are going to Venezuela.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by dunkem21(m): 6:46am On Dec 01, 2017

13 Likes

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by sarrki(m): 6:48am On Dec 01, 2017
Firefire:

I laugh at your sense of humor making mockery of your paymaster. grin

He stated , “ The central bank that was led by his royal highness (Emir of Kano , Muhammadu Sanusi II) is not what we are seeing today . We have seen a lot of interference in the work of the central bank and I say that that was a very important factor that led to the massive recession that we have experienced in this economy."

The olodo president with NEPA certificate interfering with matter beyond his knowledge. cheesy

N moghalu worked under who ?

2 Likes

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by Firefire(m): 6:50am On Dec 01, 2017
sarrki:

N moghalu worked under who ?

Oga Ade, Itumo'?

3 Likes

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by sarrki(m): 6:55am On Dec 01, 2017
Firefire:

Oga Ade, Itumo'?

E daub ibere mi
Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by Bari22: 6:58am On Dec 01, 2017
Political interference started since, during Jonathan Sanusi was removed not because he is not performing but because he exposed the wrongdoings of some sacred cows in the government. This is where the problem started because up to now they didn't get a person as competent as Sanusi to lead the CBN.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by Firefire(m): 7:02am On Dec 01, 2017
sarrki:

E daub ibere mi

I cant comprehend sir. Do you mean " e da'un ibere mi" i.e. Answer my question?

Where is the question, sir?

5 Likes

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by anonimi: 8:13am On Dec 01, 2017

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by Nobody: 8:15am On Dec 01, 2017
Adeosun and Buhari sef shocked

Two uncertified economist undecided embarassed

4 Likes

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by Firefire(m): 8:19am On Dec 01, 2017

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by AishaBuhari: 8:59am On Dec 01, 2017
How we got here I don't know - APC is just an upgraded version of corruption

The fight against corruption has been lost!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by AishaBuhari: 9:04am On Dec 01, 2017
sarrki:

Gej interfered Alot

Stop defending the indefensible - It's making you look stupid by the day!

5 Likes

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by AishaBuhari: 9:24am On Dec 01, 2017
Zombies (Obailala, GavelSlam & Co) were made to believe that Nigeria was outta recession!

Zombies were also made to believe THAT PDP plunged the economy into recession!

Zombies are programmed to believe whatever is been presented before them!

2 Likes

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by obailala(m): 10:03am On Dec 01, 2017
AishaBuhari:
Zombies (Obailala, GavelSlam & Co) were made to believe that Nigeria was outta recession!

Zombies were also made to believe THAT PDP plunged the economy into recession!

Zombies are programmed to believe whatever is been presented before them!
Your Pa!...

Go ye into your mud and wail alone!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by AishaBuhari: 10:05am On Dec 01, 2017
obailala:
Your Pa!...

Go ye into your mud and wail alone!

2 Likes

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by dodelight(m): 10:20am On Dec 01, 2017
sarrki:

Gej interfered Alot

That's not correct. Jonathan had a very seasoned minister of finance who could handle any CBN henchmen

2 Likes

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by eleojo23: 10:38am On Dec 01, 2017
So it is no longer GEJ that caused it?
Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by Afritop(m): 10:39am On Dec 01, 2017
Especially during elections

1 Like

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by three: 10:41am On Dec 01, 2017

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by Nobody: 10:42am On Dec 01, 2017
My able Prof. I greet you sir.

1 Like

Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by bart10: 10:43am On Dec 01, 2017
undecided
Re: Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu by DIKEnaWAR: 10:43am On Dec 01, 2017
Simply put, Buhari and his moronic interference in CBN operations led us to recession.
Some clowns are gearing up to vote the numbskull for a 2nd term.

Bye bye Nigeria, oti baje

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atedo Peterside On COVID-19: 'Nigerian Women Are Not More Responsible Than Men' / Banking Reform: More Workers To Lose Jobs / IMF Cuts Nigeria Growth Forecast Yet Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.