Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,672 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

Tricks Of Pastorpreneurs Revealed By An Evangelist In A 1972 Documentary - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tricks Of Pastorpreneurs Revealed By An Evangelist In A 1972 Documentary (564 Views)

Real Identity Of 3 Wise Men Who Visited Jesus' Birthplace Revealed By Expert / Michael Job: The 'Jesus' In Kenya Is An Evangelist (Photos) / Masquerade Converts To Christianity And Becomes An Evangelist In 6 Months(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tricks Of Pastorpreneurs Revealed By An Evangelist In A 1972 Documentary by Ilekokonit: 3:27am On Dec 05, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NwKD9laZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVLmKO26Emg#t=21m146s

Marjoe is a 1972 American documentary film produced and directed by Howard Smith and Sarah Kernochan about the life of evangelist Marjoe Gortner. It won the 1972 Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.

Marjoe was a precocious child preacher with extraordinary talents, who was immensely popular in the American South. His parents earned large sums of money off of his earnings until the point he outgrew the novelty of his youthfulness.

Marjoe rejoined the ministry as a young adult solely as a means of earning a living, not as a believer. He spent the next several years using his fame and status as an evangelist to earn a living from both tent revivals and televangelism. Eventually, Gortner suffered a crisis of conscience and decided to give up the revival circuit. He offered a documentary film crew unrestricted access to him during his final revival tour, which took place in 1971.

The film contains scenes from revival meetings showing Gortner preaching and praying for people in Los Angeles, Fort Worth, Detroit, and Anaheim. This is interspersed with footage of Gortner admitting on camera that he was a non-believer and revealing the tactics that he and other evangelists used to manipulate people and to move them during revivals. Some of the evangelists even revealed where they bought properties kept secret and gave him advice to follow. Gortner said he studied Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones as a model for his routine.

At the time of the film's release, it generated considerable press, but the movie was not shown widely in theaters in the Southern United States. The distributor feared adverse reaction to the film in the Bible Belt so it was not shown any farther south than Des Moines, Iowa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjoe
Re: Tricks Of Pastorpreneurs Revealed By An Evangelist In A 1972 Documentary by adeniyi3971(m): 3:32am On Dec 05, 2017
Holly Molly
Re: Tricks Of Pastorpreneurs Revealed By An Evangelist In A 1972 Documentary by petra1(m): 4:32am On Dec 05, 2017
Ilekokonit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NwKD9laZw

Mar joe is a 1972 American documentary film produced and directed by Howard Smith and Sarah Kernochan about the life of evangelist Marjoe Gortner. It won the 1972 Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.

Marjoe was a precocious child preacher with extraordinary talents, who was immensely popular in the American South. His parents earned large sums of money off of his earnings until the point he outgrew the novelty of his youthfulness.

Marjoe rejoined the ministry as a young adult solely as a means of earning a living, not as a believer. He spent the next several years using his fame and status as an evangelist to earn a living from both tent revivals and televangelism. Eventually, Gortner suffered a crisis of conscience and decided to give up the revival circuit. He offered a documentary film crew unrestricted access to him during his final revival tour, which took place in 1971.

Op you're wrong . Miracles are real and they are not tricks. I have read the story before. I see it more like the case of a young man God used but he Didn’t develop him self in his personal relationship with God so Satan took advantage of him and corrupted his spirit .

Luke 22:31-32 (KJV)
And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

The miracles were real . Because they were wrought in the name of Jesus . The people received because they believed in Jesus . The young man even though he may end in hell because it is possible to be used of God and end in hell if you don’t develop your relationship with christ . Satan will destroy you and corrupt your gift or anointing.

Matthew 7:22-23 (NIV)
Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

The scripture above tells it all. In insincere minister may work miracles because it is the gift of God. The miracles are not fake they are real because they are done in christs name .But the personal walk of such a person is what determines his end .

1 Corinthians 9:27 (KJV)
But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
Re: Tricks Of Pastorpreneurs Revealed By An Evangelist In A 1972 Documentary by 0temSapien: 7:11am On Dec 05, 2017
Derren Brown rings a bell.
Derren Brown is a psychologist who wanted to find out how pastors do their purported miracles. He called for an audition and ordinary people came. He chose one of those who came and trained him on how to replicate all the supposed 'miracles' performed by so-called pastors. They went together to live christian crusades where pastors lay hands on people and they fell. After some months, his employee was already psychologically fit to replicate what our pastors do and call miracles. He was introduced to some congregation as a pastor and immediately they surrendered themselves to him. He went and touched their heads and they fell, just the same way they fall whenever pastors touched their heads. These things called religion are psychological performances by the pastors over their sheep and no sheep will realise the wonder of the brain until he or she start using it critically for thinking.

(1) (Reply)

Open Heavens Daily Devotional 06/02/18 / As The Month Ends Today. / Pastor Nike Adeyemi Celebrates Her Birthdayd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.