Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,787 members, 7,820,758 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar (4580 Views)

Jamb Registrar Dibu Ojerinde Speaks About Jamb 2016 / Candidates Without ICT Knowledge Should Forget JAMB – Registrar / Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by BlackRevo: 9:11am On Mar 30, 2010
THE Registrar/Chief Executive of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Professor Dibu Ojerinde, has said the 2010 admission into tertiary institutions will be worst in the history of the country, as he revealed that the board currently had over 6.4 million candidates out of which only 500,000 would be offered admission.

Speaking in Ilorin, Kwara State, on Sunday, Professor Ojerinde said the high rate of admission into the universities was now survival of the fittest, adding that the development had led to examination malpractices.

He said quality education was not obtainable in universities alone, adding the polytechnics or colleges of education also had good education.

Meanwhile, the JAMB boss has urged coordinators of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) to defend the image and integrity of the board by ensuring that they conducted credible examinations devoid of malpractices.

Professor Ojerinde made the call in Gombe, at the weekend, during the UTME coordinators meeting for the northern states, held at the multipurpose hall of the Gombe State University.

He said the meeting was an opportunity for the board to train the coordinators who would, in turn, train supervisors and invigilators on the guidelines for the smooth conduct of the examination, while warning that supervisors who failed to attend the briefing session would not be allowed to participate in the conduct of the examination.

Professor Ojerinde enumerated the achievements of the board to include the quick processing of results with the release of the 2009 Universities Matriculation Examination (UME) 10 days after its conduct and the Monotechnics, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education (MPCE) examination five days after it was written.

He said the UME and MPCE had been combined to form UTME, adding that all candidates who wished to be admitted to universities, monotechnics/polytechnics and colleges of education would write the same matriculation examination.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/3241-2010-admission-ll-be-worst-jamb-registrar-as-64-million-candidates-jostle-for-5-million-slots.html
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by DisGuy: 11:11am On Mar 30, 2010
I personally thought they failed so many people in the last exams so they have less numbers to deal with
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by BlackRevo: 11:19am On Mar 30, 2010
Dis Guy:

I personally thought they failed so many people in the last exams so they have less numbers to deal with

If they failed much people in the last exams then definitely they should have more people to deal with this year and remember also that they have combined the UNI/POLY JAMB together for this year. I am just concerned about the over 5m candidates that will not be admitted this year regardless of their performance in the examination.

I thought Jamb do normally have about 1m candidates every year and while the Poly gets about 300,000 thousand? so why this new figure of 6.4m and still counting? I really think it is time the FG start treating this issues seriously and make sure that brilliant candidates do not rot at home even if they have to study abroad.
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by CarlosVent(m): 11:31am On Mar 30, 2010
Abolish Jamb now
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by Feraz(m): 11:43am On Mar 30, 2010
Black_Revo:

If they failed much people in the last exams then definitely they should have more people to deal with this year and remember also that they have combined the UNI/POLY JAMB together for this year.
Exactly! They are going to be much. Do u think this idea of combining the exams together make sense?
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by ayobase(m): 11:51am On Mar 30, 2010
JAMB?
Useless Body!

A student is supposed to be
able to buy a admission form(s) from
the school(s) of her/his choice.

This will ease things!
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by skfa1: 11:52am On Mar 30, 2010
They are just destroying peoples life sha, we have not sat down for once and think about ourself, ourlife and our future.
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by Nobody: 12:08pm On Mar 30, 2010
hey, this is a wake up call for all jambite,
it is now a survival of not jus the fittest but the toughest,
so grab ur books or,
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by jessefly: 12:10pm On Mar 30, 2010
6.4million applicants
omo we many 4 9ja
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by MsTom(f): 12:12pm On Mar 30, 2010
Jamb was supposed to be abolished a long time ago. It is not a true test of knowledge rather, it is a waste of time
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by akwaowoudo(m): 12:16pm On Mar 30, 2010
Deliberately or not , let UTME a.k.a. JAMB keep killing people's talent. Nigeria is ours! Millitancy ours! Armed robbery ours! Name them! We have no other country. Do we?
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by Ghredon(f): 12:18pm On Mar 30, 2010
na today
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by violent(m): 12:19pm On Mar 30, 2010
500 000 will be offered admissions

5,900,000 will have to wait!

2,900,000, will wait for another year, perhaps minor percentage of the population from a wealthy background will move into private institutions while some will try A levels, Polytechnics and College of educations.

3,000,000 of those on the waiting list will give up on the dreams of going to a higher institution

of the 3,000,000, perhaps half, will look for alternative legal means of survival such as learning a trade, becoming helps, more fortunate wealthy ones will open small boutiques, engage in large scale entrepreneurship while  others might take to farming,a minority will start thinking about travelling out to any part of the world to take up a less satisfactory jobs for survival. . . a smaller minority might decide to go into local politics.

half of the other 150,000 might engage themselves in illegal means of obtaining money such as online fraud, extortion, armed robbery, pick pocketing, money rituals, drug peddling, prostitution, human trafficking etc.

The remaining half will simply do nothing! other than stay at home and feed off relatives, many of those will attend more night vigils and Muslim prayer sessions for breakthrough!.

Summary of all the Jargon:

The country is doomed
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by supereagle(m): 12:44pm On Mar 30, 2010
Niger and Republic of Benin will offer something better for those who failed to make it.
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by bandely(m): 1:05pm On Mar 30, 2010
violent:

500 000 will be offered admissions

5,900,000 will have to wait!

2,900,000, will wait for another year, perhaps minor percentage of the population from a wealthy background will move into private institutions while some will try A levels, Polytechnics and College of educations.

3,000,000 of those on the waiting list will give up on the dreams of going to a higher institution

of the 3,000,000, perhaps half, will look for alternative legal means of survival such as learning a trade, becoming helps, more fortunate wealthy ones will open small boutiques, engage in large scale entrepreneurship while  others might take to farming,a minority will start thinking about travelling out to any part of the world to take up a less satisfactory jobs for survival. . . a smaller minority might decide to go into local politics.

half of the other 150,000 might engage themselves in illegal means of obtaining money such as online fraud, extortion, armed robbery, pick pocketing, money rituals, drug peddling, prostitution, human trafficking etc.

The remaining half will simply do nothing! other than stay at home and feed off relatives, many of those will attend more night vigils and Muslim prayer sessions for breakthrough!.

Summary of all the Jargon:

The country is doomed

awwwwwwwww!
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by BlackRevo: 1:59pm On Mar 30, 2010
Feraz:

Exactly! They are going to be much. Do u think this idea of combining the exams together make sense?

Yes it makes and it might not make but i support the combination because of the neglect towards the other types of educational institution ( Poly, Colleges, Technical and Vocational schools. ). The university is not meant for everyone and it is time we start applying the Asian method of forcing these students into the other educational institutions apart for the university.

Nigeria is a developing country and we need more students in the polytechnics, special institutions, technical and vocational schools.

Those who failed should be forced into the colleges, poly, technical and vocational schools. No sitting down at home and i also think it is time we start embracing the pre-university education aspects as well if not for corruption.
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by BlackRevo: 2:01pm On Mar 30, 2010
MsTom:

Jamb was supposed to be abolished a long time ago. It is not a true test of knowledge rather, it is a waste of time

On what ground my sister?
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by wugatee: 2:09pm On Mar 30, 2010
As i read this post. tears drop down from my eyes.
Only God knows how many times i have seen students crying after checking
their result. i think it they are just frustrating the youth. and this is the only
country where this madness keep repeating itself.
some have written this jam 5 good times, and tell me what a waste.
LET GOD SEE THEM.
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by Feraz(m): 2:42pm On Mar 30, 2010
Black_Revo:

Yes it makes and it might not make but i support the combination because of the neglect towards the other types of educational institution ( Poly, Colleges, Technical and Vocational schools. ). The university is not meant for everyone and it is time we start applying the Asian method of forcing these students into the other educational institutions apart for the university.

Nigeria is a developing country and we need more students in the polytechnics, special institutions, technical and vocational schools.

Those who failed should be forced into the colleges, poly, technical and vocational schools. No sitting down at home and i also think it is time we start embracing the pre-university education aspects as well if not for corruption.
agree with d bolded but u know it's going to bring about more malpractices or don't u think so?
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by beewhyfocs(m): 2:56pm On Mar 30, 2010
Under UTME, the best goes to the Uni while the rest are sent to the poly or college of education. The result of ds is that in d future d employers, who wants the best tilt towards uni graduate as they ve bn doin. This makes poly grad looks lyk unfortunate uni product.
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by BlackRevo: 3:03pm On Mar 30, 2010
Feraz:

agree with d bolded but u know it's going to bring about more malpractices or don't u think so?

I understand your fears lol, more population means increased difficulty in monitoring the conduct of the examination. Let me state it this way, these foreign exams (SAT, TOEFL and GMAT) have a fixed rule/way in monitoring and conducting exams. The way they seal, transport and store examination materials to the use of checking ID's and using camera's or invigilators are the ame everywhere and they are only changed when there is a loop hole in that system.

While in our own case, we are so smart and corrupt that we should be innovative every year in combating examination malpractices. NECO did that this year and hence the mass failure so i feel JAMB should follow that same route as well. You remember when they first introduced types in the questions and answers, there was a mass failure. all they need to do is to develop a mechanism to fight this malpractices from all sources ( Candidates, Examination centers, Invigilators and Jamb staffs ).

Examination malpractices is a networked racket so when developing mechanisms they should just put all possible scenarios into consideration.
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by chelseabmw(m): 3:15pm On Mar 30, 2010
Jamb should be terminated!
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 3:24pm On Mar 30, 2010
ah i pity the jambite.why dis for God sake.no wonder the high crime rate.but pls people,is this how it is in other countries.i feel for the jambites.ah God.hw many pple wi wait for next year?more than 6million.then another 7million will register next year plus 6million makin 13million out of which another 500.000 wi b chooseo.oh what a pity.usin their money to plant flowers round their office.hun
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 30, 2010
I weep when i see brilliant minds being wasted because of the so called JAMB!
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by jemmyvibe: 5:29pm On Mar 30, 2010
What happens to the remaining 5.9m people?
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by Ukavwe: 5:39pm On Mar 30, 2010
My guys this is 9jar anything goes,first it's o level which will frustrate u cos i am not sure de examination body do mark answer scrip all they do is award marks to student, secondly is jamb which u know has no use cos if u like score 400 u will still write post jamb u also know that it's de post jamb that matter most so i think UTME a.k.a jamb is a wast of time,money and manpower to mention a few,what i don't understand is while all this exam or is examination now for revenue generation in 9jar
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by BlackRevo: 5:46pm On Mar 30, 2010
jemmyvibe:

What happens to the remaining 5.9m people?

They have to write the next one.
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by sammytb(m): 5:52pm On Mar 30, 2010
Hmmmmmmmm whats is jamb turning Nigeria intoooooo, Well i tink one we shall all scale through all this.!
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by Nneomaj(f): 6:37pm On Mar 30, 2010
Hmmm,500,000 from 6.4m. This isn't funny,JAMB u can do better than that na.
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by melodyj(m): 6:52pm On Mar 30, 2010
every things has his reward,God will reward dem
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by tayoast(m): 11:35pm On Mar 30, 2010
@heavy ballz, u'll soon get urself banned
Re: 2010 Admission ‘ll Be Worst - Jamb Registrar by alukstea(m): 11:55pm On Mar 30, 2010
I cry for NIGERIA chai

Eyin Oyinbo E wa fun mi ni Visa
Ilu yi su mi e wa fun mi ni visa

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria Training School 2017 application is on now / Study In Latvia, Estonia / Yobe Teachers Protest Salary Cut

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.