Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,054 members, 7,814,625 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

What Is Programming And Why Should I Learn It? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Is Programming And Why Should I Learn It? (1292 Views)

Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? / Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? / Is Programming Meant Only For Computer Science Students? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is Programming And Why Should I Learn It? by manmunir(m): 8:26am On Dec 08, 2017
This is a very common question around, despite the vast growing popularity of Computers and Smartphones in the society today. Most people often believe that programming is for the geeks. And sometimes when people think of programming, they generally envision computers and hacking. Often, they assume that the field is full of people who fix computers and hacktivist. In reality, computers play an important supporting role as a tool in the field of programming, they are just that-tools.

So, What is Programming?

Programming, sometimes addressed as "Coding" is a formal computer language designed to communicate instructions to a machine, particularly a computer. Programming languages can be used to create programs to control the behavior of a machine or to express algorithms.

You don't have to be a genius or good in math to learn programming. You just need to have good problem-solving and logical thinking skills. Also, Programmers do spend a significant amount of time in front of the computer, but that doesn't mean that they are good at fixing friend's and family member's PC.

So, What does Programmers do?

They write, design, test, document and maintain the softwares, applications or games. They work as a team, which normally involves client and manager.

Why Should I Learn Programming?

Programming is becoming increasingly essential in today's world. If you look around you, almost every thing is computer programmed. The car you drive from home to office, the traffic light, your mobile phone e.t.c.

Lots of people get into programming because they love the challenge, they are excited by computers and want to build a career creating web sites, mobile apps or desktop programs. But even if you don’t want to become a programmer for a living, it’s still worth your time to learn how to program. I mean this in all seriousness: if computers are at all a part of your life, then learning to program is going to improve your life.

And I don’t mean in that sort of nebulous, “improve your mind,” “expand your thinking skills” and “make you a better person” sort-of-way. Learning to program can make you more productive, efficient and effective. Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple Inc. Used to say:

"Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer because it teaches you how to think."

Here's an example; There's this one particularly annoying form that I have to fill out dozens of times a month requires that I click several buttons, one after the other, in order to complete a task. So, I created a bookmarklet that clicks all of the buttons with one command - saving me a lot of mousing around and clicking. An easy program to write, but a big productivity boost for me.

But more than just solving daily work problems, programming is fun. It’s problem solving at its best. And, though creating something like Facebook might require a lot of programming experience, simple programs like HTML, JavaScript, and CSS don’t. In fact, it’s really fun to come up with a program - no matter how simple - to solve an every day problem.

In other words: you don’t need to dedicate your career to programming to add programming to your career. Start learning a language like Python, JavaScript, Ruby or Java today and you could very well be making your life easier, while having fun doing it.

Where Can I Learn Programming?

You can start learning any programming language online which is totally free, you will just have to afford your internet connection. Example of this online portal that can teach you programming language for free are as follows:

1- Freecodecamp.com
2- Code.org
3- Sololearn.com
4- w3schools.com
5- codecademy.com. e.t.c

Source: http://www.techybro.com/2017/03/what-is-programming-and-why-should-i.html

(1) (Reply)

Instagram Integration / Play With Data Structures And Algorithm (all Languages) / Help On Vb6 Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.