Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? (5001 Views)

Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? / Is Programming Meant Only For Computer Science Students? / What Is Programming And Why Should I Learn It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by fejisky: 6:49pm On May 01, 2020
A warm greetings to everyone here.. would like to ask few questions that might seem weird, also constructive criticism are welcome too.

Maybe it's just for me but I've never heard millionaires emerging from programming, isn't it that lucrative? Aside the earnings from salary whose job are quite hard to find in this country, freelancing is a bit competitive for newbies like me so where else can one earn after acquiring this skills? With the Advent of big tech companies, how can guys like me fit into the tech industry when almost everything has been created?

I need advice because am thinking of settling for either fraud (yahoo yahoo) or learn this programming.. Yes you heard me right, fraud. Yesterday a young lad in my compound bought a car worth 4million in just six months of learning this yahoo thing. I feel less of myself right now. Call me a jerk but am just been sincere with myself as am no longer a kid. Is it that this country no longer support legit job/skills or what?

From a honest fellow who just needs to find his path in this journey of life. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by osato45: 6:54pm On May 01, 2020
Go for programming, look out for someone who is good at it should tutor and mentor you, Or you check for online free courses on programming on youtube, udemy, coursera, edX, etc.
Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by fejisky: 7:27pm On May 01, 2020
osato45:
Go for programming, look out for someone who is good at it should tutor and mentor you, Or you check for online free courses on programming on youtube, udemy, coursera, edX, etc.
Don't need you to tell me how much you earn but is it that lucrative? Yes or no?
Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 01, 2020
fejisky:
Don't need you to tell me how much you earn but is it that lucrative? Yes or no?

You think fraud is easier? When authorities clamp down on your ass, you'll start regretting the day you started. Steer clear of crimes. Fraud is a criminal offence. In the long run, it ends in regret.

Programming requires dedication. I'm still a rookie. I've not even scratched "pro", talk more of "gramming". This one you're saying you haven't seen anyone make millions from it. It takes time to learn any programming language. And I'm not sure learning just one is enough. People who have mastered two or three have better chances than you. And then you would have to complement programming with another stuff.
If you're not ready for the dedication that programming warrants, you may have to search for another thing. Learning requires dedication, bro.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by fejisky: 8:13pm On May 01, 2020
locust:

You think fraud is easier? When authorities clamp down on your ass, you'll start regretting the day you started. Steer clear of crimes. Fraud is a criminal offence. In the long run, it ends in regret.

Programming requires dedication. I'm still a rookie. I've not even scratched "pro", talk more of "gramming". This one you're saying you haven't seen anyone make millions from it. It takes time to learn any programming language. And I'm not sure learning just one is enough. People who have mastered two or three have better chances than you. And then you would have to complement programming with another stuff.
If you're not ready for the dedication that programming warrants, you may have to search for another thing. Learning requires dedication, bro.
thanks bro and what are you learning?
Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:03pm On May 01, 2020
Op don't mind anyone that says you will do much better in Yahoo.

Freelancing pays depending on the sites you join. Upwork is amazing and if you are good enough after you learn to be accepted on sites like toptal or coding ninjas then the sky is the limit. Imagine earning like 60k dollars a year salary in Nigeria. This is possible If you can get accepted on toptal.

As for Jobs there's a ton of programming jobs in Nigeria but the pay might be too small for you. If working for a company is your thing then you should be on the hunt for remote jobs or jobs that come with relocation packages.

A friend of mine is a Blockchain developer in Nigeria. He presently earns 81000 dollars as salary. I linked him to a job I saw the pay was 30000 dollars he refused accepting it citing it as too low. He's presently hunting for 150k dollars a year job. The 81000 dollars job is remote while he also works for as a Blockchain developer for a Nigerian bank. The bank work gives him around 300k a month.

But you have to be good to get those high paying remote jobs o. You need to have projects to show off and you must learn data structures and algorithms. Oyinbo no dey take that thing play at all. Their interview questions are always based around those topics.

Having the knowledge is one thing. Knowing how to hunt for opportunities is another. You might be very good at a certain craft but if you can't hunt for opportunities you might have to settle with what is available.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by osato45: 9:17pm On May 01, 2020
fejisky:
I can bet you it would not be easy, if you are determined you would overcome, it is way better than a life of fraud which brings no satisfaction at all.

I know you may end up not taking it up, but this is my 2cents worth of advice, i hope others who are well grounded in IT come in to drop some tips to guide you.
Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by VillagePeople11: 9:54pm On May 01, 2020
you shouldn't put programming and "yahoo yahoo" as alternatives.... Programming requires a lot of dedication.. while fraud is well taking people's money doing exactly nothing in return for them

A lot of the richest people on earth are programmers, Zuckerberg, Gates, bezos, etc.
Look at the nigerian tech space a lot of young people are raking in millions of dollars in equity funding for their startups

You can make it as a fraudster before you get caught, but the money you will ever make will never come close to a programmer who makes it, even in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by Gerrard59(m): 10:10pm On May 01, 2020
Maybe I'm just pessimistic but someone who will opt for yahoo yahoo should he not become a millionaire programmer comes across to me as a lazy, fraudulent and low budget ambitious person. Why? Programming requires your dedication, persistence, continuous learning, seeking to do things the right way, networking with experts etc. But when you prefer a route like yahoo yahoo when you clearly know that it's fraudulent and wrong, then you might not succeed in learning programming. Imagine the thought process? OK, programming is hard; no one makes millions. Did you not think of other alternative ways to make money legitimately? So if programming doesn't succeed, then na yahoo yahoo? So according to your fraudulent mind, yahoo yahoo is the best alternative to programming? Nothing else? If you get angry at my post, your prerogative. Just know that I hate thieves and fraudsters.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by Johnmattee(m): 6:35am On May 02, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Op don't mind anyone that says you will do much better in Yahoo.

Freelancing pays depending on the sites you join. Upwork is amazing and if you are good enough after you learn to be accepted on sites like toptal or coding ninjas then the sky is the limit. Imagine earning like 60k dollars a year salary in Nigeria. This is possible If you can get accepted on toptal.

As for Jobs there's a ton of programming jobs in Nigeria but the pay might be too small for you. If working for a company is your thing then you should be on the hunt for remote jobs or jobs that come with relocation packages.

A friend of mine is a Blockchain developer in Nigeria. He presently earns 81000 dollars as salary. I linked him to a job I saw the pay was 30000 dollars he refused accepting it citing it as too low. He's presently hunting for 150k dollars a year job. The 81000 dollars job is remote while he also works for as a Blockchain developer for a Nigerian bank. The bank work gives him around 300k a month.

But you have to be good to get those high paying remote jobs o. You need to have projects to show off and you must learn data structures and algorithms. Oyinbo no dey take that thing play at all. Their interview questions are always based around those topics.

Having the knowledge is one thing. Knowing how to hunt for opportunities is another. You might be very good at a certain craft but if you can't hunt for opportunities you might have to settle with what is available.

Can JavaScript be used in block chain? and how far will I go in JavaScript before learning block chain?

2 Likes

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:41am On May 02, 2020
Johnmattee:

Can JavaScript be used in block chain? and how far will I go in JavaScript before learning block chain?
The main programming language he uses is solidity. It's relatively new.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by CapedBaldy: 8:04am On May 02, 2020
I think you've already decided the one you want. If you're planning on making millions after 6 months learning programming it's most likely not gonna happen. If you can't get a job as a programmer then try to make something that solves a problem. You can get money from that. Not everything has been made already. As long as there's problems to solve there's opportunities. If you want to go into fraud I hope you can deal with consequences if you get caught
Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by Karlebolu(m): 8:32am On May 02, 2020
If you want to join yahoo, just go with it.

Programming takes years to master.

Many of us spent 4yrs learning a course in school and end up graduating with no job several years later but we can't even put two productive years into this?

And if course, it is lucrative only when you are very good.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by schoolboi: 8:43am On May 02, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

True. Simplicity and solidity are two new programming language that are more specific to Blockchain. Did your friend do self learn or he went to a coding bootcamp to learn?
Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:45am On May 02, 2020
schoolboi:

True. Simplicity and solidity are two new programming language that are more specific to Blockchain. Did your friend do self learn or he went to a coding bootcamp to learn?
Self learn o. He's not even up to 25 and earning such. Knowing is one thing hunting for opportunities is another. A lot of people would learn but can't hunt for opportunities.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by schoolboi: 8:49am On May 02, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Self learn o. He's not even up to 25 and earning such. Knowing is one thing hunting for opportunities is another. A lot of people would learn but can't hunt for opportunities.
Wow, really impressive. You're right about hunting for opportunities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by hustler2828: 10:41am On May 02, 2020
Even if you want to go into yahoo having a basic understanding of HTML, CSS, JavaScript and python will give you a upper hand in it. Or better still you should learn and read more about SOCIAL ENGINEERING. Proficiency in social engineering alone can make you do wonders in yahoo and fraud in general. You can even do outsourcing (the route I intend taking) on upwork if you know the basics of of JavaScript and python. I ventured into yahoo but guilty feelings inside of me could not allow me to do it( oh Bob conscience wan kill me) So I had to settle for a web development course on udemy. When I understand the basics and inner workings of web development then I can source for projects and outsource them for a little profit.

1 Like

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by Johnmattee(m): 11:43am On May 02, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

. I saw it when I googled the thing, I'll find out about the language. I think block chain and artificial intelligence is the future of programming. don't be surprised if in years to come, bots are building websites grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:58am On May 02, 2020
Johnmattee:
. I saw it when I googled the thing, I'll find out about the language. I think block chain and artificial intelligence is the future of programming. don't be surprised if in years to come, bots are building websites grin
Maybe wordpress kind of websites would be built with bots. Highly complex and responsive web apps would be built by real human beings. Besides solidity has a lot in common with JavaScript. Infact it's JavaScript on steroids. Anything web related can't do without JavaScript. It's getting used in game development and internet of things.

2 Likes

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by Nobody: 12:09pm On May 02, 2020
Discover the art of computer programming and learn what a code can do online at YouTube Programming School free. You get to be exposed to programming languages such as python, java, c++, etc. from the scratch. Learn how to code, and make money from it.

Youtube Programming School
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpPwUAYOD-chcxMZREaH8WmWLhott2q4f
Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by Johnmattee(m): 12:27pm On May 02, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Maybe wordpress kind of websites would be built with bots. Highly complex and responsive web apps would be built by real human beings. Besides solidity has a lot in common with JavaScript. Infact it's JavaScript on steroids. Anything web related can't do without JavaScript. It's getting used in game development and internet of things.
I agree but technology keep improving daily...you never can tell. it may take time but it will surely come to pass. Different breeds of human beings are emerging, same will be for technology where everything will be automated. Human expertise will still be needed to control the automation.

1 Like

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:34pm On May 02, 2020
Johnmattee:
I agree but technology keep improving daily...you never can tell. it may take time but it will surely come to pass. Different breeds of human beings are emerging, same will be for technology where everything will be automated. Human expertise will still be needed to control the automation.
No matter how it advances you still need real humans to do the automation and control it. Web development is just going to keep advancing. Can you compare web development from even 2013 to now? So much has changed. It's dynamic. JavaScript is going to get more advanced as language and more difficult to master.

1 Like

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by Johnmattee(m): 12:39pm On May 02, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

No matter how it advances you still need real humans to do the automation and control it. Web development is just going to keep advancing. Can you compare web development from even 2013 to now? So much has changed. It's dynamic. JavaScript is going to get more advanced as language and more difficult to master.
I didn't leave out humans in my post. About JavaScript getting advanced, do you think JavaScript can keep up with the pressure for long? I know that frameworks will keep springing up that will make the whole thing shitty...Time will tell.
Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:41pm On May 02, 2020
Johnmattee:
I didn't leave out humans in my post. About JavaScript getting advanced, do you think JavaScript can keep up with the pressure for long? I know that frameworks will keep springing up that will make the whole thing shitty...Time will tell.
Frameworks come and go but the language would still remain. It's the language of the web. It's been so since 1995. That's why it is best to learn the language and know it very well before touching frameworks but some people choose to go learn frameworks even when they haven't grasped the language the framework is built on. Besides once you get one language it's always easy to master another. The key is getting one language and knowing it very well not jumping from one to another.

2 Likes

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by Johnmattee(m): 12:46pm On May 02, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Frameworks come and go but the language would still remain. It's the language of the web. It's been so since 1995. That's why it is best to learn the language and know it very well before touching frameworks but some people choose to go learn frameworks even when they haven't grasped the language the framework is built on. Besides once you get one language it's always easy to master another. The key is getting one language and knowing it very well not jumping from one to another.
You are right on that, I personally want to master JavaScript, because trying to jump to framework will get you frustrated especially when you are the type that wants to know how things work under the hood. Knowing data structures and algorithms will make it easy to pick up another language in less than a week. But lemme ask you what about the advent of web assembly and Brython. JavaScript has a battle with these contenders.
Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:51pm On May 02, 2020
Johnmattee:
You are right on that, I personally want to master JavaScript, because trying to jump to framework will get you frustrated especially when you are the type that wants to know how things work under the hood. Knowing data structures and algorithms will make it easy to pick up another language in less than a week. But lemme ask you what about the advent of web assembly and Brython. JavaScript has a battle with these contenders.
Brython ke. E go hard o. Most web browsers are built to only accept JavaScript with the billions of web sites out there all running JavaScript on the front end. E go hard walai. Even if it becomes popular someone who has mastered JavaScript can easily pick up python and learn brython in less than a month. So all in all the Koko is to know the language very well.
Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by Johnmattee(m): 1:23pm On May 02, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Brython ke. E go hard o. Most web browsers are built to only accept JavaScript with the billions of web sites out there all running JavaScript on the front end. E go hard walai. Even if it becomes popular someone who has mastered JavaScript can easily pick up python and learn brython in less than a month. So all in all the Koko is to know the language very well.
grin JavaScript the king of the web...

1 Like

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by Nobody: 12:03am On May 03, 2020
fejisky:
A warm greetings to everyone here.. would like to ask few questions that might seem weird, also constructive criticism are welcome too.

Maybe it's just for me but I've never heard millionaires emerging from programming, isn't it that lucrative? Aside the earnings from salary whose job are quite hard to find in this country, freelancing is a bit competitive for newbies like me so where else can one earn after acquiring this skills? With the Advent of big tech companies, how can guys like me fit into the tech industry when almost everything has been created?

I need advice because am thinking of settling for either fraud (yahoo yahoo) or learn this programming.. Yes you heard me right, fraud. Yesterday a young lad in my compound bought a car worth 4million in just six months of learning this yahoo thing. I feel less of myself right now. Call me a jerk but am just been sincere with myself as am no longer a kid. Is it that this country no longer support legit job/skills or what?

From a honest fellow who just needs to find his path in this journey of life. Thanks
Don't listen to any one trying to project his failures on you, most especially that braindead thing Cakephp Blackmailphp parading its shrivelled corpse around nairaland looking for likes and comments. Web development is INSANELY lucrative.
The guy who got me involved in the industry started with learning PHP in jan 2017, switched to C# on his first job in august same year and finally to nodejs last year. He just quit a job of 350k and accepted an offer of 450k in this corona lock down.
I started learning nonchalantly in October last year and only really picked up the pace with nodejs this year and I have completed two hosted gigs for clients and just got a contract to supply the educational institutions around me with home teaching web tools. And I don't even know react or bootstrap yet! Just building websites with EJS and vanilla CSS is opening more doors than I could possibly have wished for. So u have a choice, u can run around on nairaland all day ingesting the bad vibes and hopping from thread to thread looking for recognition like some hegoats or you can pick yourself up and delve into it with such a passion that even failure sef will be afraid. I highly recommend the latter option cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by ERCROSS(m): 7:03am On May 03, 2020
You're preparing for frustration if you go into programming because of money. Forget all these people telling you the end result. To achieve that end result takes perseverance, Determination, and focus. You only have determination. I doubt if you'll be able to pull through it. I'd love you prove me wrong tho

3 Likes

Re: Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? by jelel6: 9:05am On May 03, 2020
Johnmattee:

I think for decades now, computer scientists, programmers and the Major tech companies have all been looking for the language that will replace JavaScript. Many Messiah has sprung up but they all failed.

Microsoft is leading the new charge now with Blazor web framework which allows you to write C# instead of JavaScript. They all have a love-hate relationship with JavaScript. Especially programmings coming from other languages.

WebAssembly, Blazor I don't know if this Brython you've listed sef... We'll see how they fare in the next 2 years.

I don't know if programmers coming from languages such as Java, C#, C+, Perl, and .Net would want to be writing for the Web. Those are the people who primarily don't like JavaScript. But I don't think a JavaScript developer will just suddenly adopt a Blazor or Brython just because some nerds don't fancy JavaScript.

Besides, it's also going to be a Battle of the frameworks for superiority in the Frontend Space. JS has a mature Frontend ecosystem already. It will take years for a new language or library to build that of support and tooling JavaScript already has. Besides, JavaScript advancement is moving at the speed of light. Easily the most innovative programming language out there if there's anything like that.

And lastly, frameworks like React, Vue, SSGs and SSRs are very much loved. I don't see a JavaScript developer moving away from them anytime soon. IMO, it's more likely a C# developer will enjoy working with React as a library than a JavaScript developer would ever enjoy using Blazor.

Interesting time ahead but I know the JS world is never standing still. It's hard to keep up with the improvements that are been made.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lovely Ascii Art In C Code! / I Need Ideas On How To Develop Sms-based Applications / How To Add Icon To Visual Basic 6.0 Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.