Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,710 members, 7,831,221 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

The Run Away - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Run Away (429 Views)

On The Run / On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites / On The Run (fantasy) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Run Away by Johngreat8: 8:22am On Dec 09, 2017
THE RUN AWAY: episode 1
At senior secondary school, i already knew what i wanted. I was going to leave this damn country and further the rest of my education abroad, i often said to myself. But during my final year at school, it dawned on me that my dreams won't be reality. I remember the look on my old man's face when i brought home the form and other necessary documents for him to fill and inspect from a university abroad before submission. I surfed the net all night just to obtain them and there he was telling me the fee was exorbitant and us not being able to afford it. It took me hours to discover a university with the least fees and yet he was giving me excuses. Couldn't he task his congregation like other pastors do. I packed the documents and angrily left the house thinking of a way to achieve my desire. My father pastors a small church in our locality. To me, it wasn't so small. I felt if he allowed the old doctrine of holiness, sanctification and restitution a slack the church would have more members. But he was bent on plying the same route every sunday. No wonder the congregation never grew and some times was less because the 21st century christians needed a little freedom and it made absolute sense to me. Some sundays i deliberately missed service at my father's church just to go attend a friend's church some where and enjoy a little modern gospel. The turn up in such churches were appalling. I wasn't much of a church person even though i grew up going to church every sunday pastored by my own father. Infact, i thought it a boring life style. I had three younger ones and a mother who was always on my father's side. She never went contrary to my father's dictates and some times it irritated me. I had no friends because i fought alot, young and old were asked to steer clear of me but what did i care. By evening, i knew exactly what to do and how to get the money from my father forcefully. No other way but stealing the tithes and offerings of the church. He never took them to the bank for reasons known to him and as i planned my moves it gave me much joy. At exactly 3:00am in the morning, i sneaked out of my room with the church key dangling in my left pocket. I picked my small bag of cloths and headed for the church. I got to the church in no time, hurriedly opened the door and headed straight to my father's office. It wasn't locked. I smashed open the safe and made away with every single penny in it. After all, it was my heavenly father's money. I cared less what and how they would take the whole thing by morning. My father would probably fast and pray with my mother sitting by his side weeping but i would be far away processing my visa abroad........ Hang on for the next episode # Child of a King#...wonder2many
Re: The Run Away by Johngreat8: 7:13pm On Dec 09, 2017
THE RUN AWAY:
It wasn't difficult processing my visa as i already had friends who knew people involved. In no time i was on a plane cruising my way to the very prestigous Alison's University Illibis. On arrival i and some other students from Nigeria were given a room. The school seemed better than i imagined, beautifully constructed and decorated. I felt i was in earth's paradise. I carefully drafted my agenda and resolved nothing would stop me. I was gonna study hard, giving no time for religion and of course party hard too. If i balanced them well i would be able to earn a scholarship given to best students in every department. The first few weeks was not easy but the excitement made me adapt really fast and in no time i became famous for my academic excellence. I earned the scholarship as planned and even represented the university in some of it's top competitions. What else could i possibly desire, all was in place or so i thought. In my third year, i was on my way back from a super fun and crazy party along side some friends. In our drunk state we talked about anything we wanted. But today, i was exceptionally quiet. Out of the blue, a poster fell right in front of me and there was this deep urge to read it's content. I picked it up and had a quick glance, it was an invitation to a fellowship center not too far from the school. I threw it away but again picked it up. It then dawned on me that i've never stepped foot in a church in three years. The picture of the man on a cross was familiar, infact there was a similar picture of it in my father's house.but today, the scar and pain on the nailed man's face penetrated my heart. Well, for old time's sake i could give this fellowship a trial, what do i possibly have to loose. I folded the paper neatly into my pocket and staggered back into the room fast asleep even before my head reached the pillow... Hang on for the next episode # Child of a King#

(1) (Reply)

Wittysally Writers Challenge / There Are Millions Of Languages In The World, Guess The Speaker Of Them All / What Can I Write About?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.