Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,859 members, 7,821,003 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? (6406 Views)

See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) / Info For All Those Who Want To Travel To Vietnam To Buy Clothes/shoes Etc / How Much Will It Cost Me To Travel To Dubai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by olukojo: 3:27am On Mar 31, 2010
Considering the number of people both Nigerians and visitors that travel to Nigeria all year round, the cost of travel to Nigeria is very high.

It’s not because it’s a far distance, like travelling to Australia.

To me I think the Airlines are taking advantage of people travelling to Nigeria and they are over inflating the air fares.

Well, I think that the price of air line ticket should be a fair reflection of the actual distance travelled and not a preconceived inflated fixed price that people are forced to pay.

The most annoying part of this, the Nigerian Government is not doing anything about this, maybe they still believe like someone once said that air travel is for rich people. what they forget is, when people spend so much to get to Nigeria, they won't have a lot of money spare, to spend in the country and help the economy.

In the long run, who’s the looser?

Olu Kojo
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by justwise(m): 10:02am On Mar 31, 2010
@OP,

Totally agree with u, pple charge as much as they can. There is no clear regulation, no competition etc.
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by olukojo: 10:13am On Mar 31, 2010
Your right there's no competiotion thats the one of the biggest problems. They should licence more air lines, including tour operators like Thomas cook, to actually bring more tourists.
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by Leftfoot: 2:53pm On Mar 31, 2010
I may be wrong, but some airlines charge by mileage.  So if you take Air France for example from Lagos to US.  If the airline travels from Lagos to Paris and then to the US, it will charge you for the total mileage.  So it is cheaper to get direct flights.  But since most of the airlines going and coming from Nigeria are foreign, they usually go to their home country first.
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by olukojo: 3:12am On Apr 01, 2010
Well I don't think most airlines charge based only on the milage, if that was so, why is it that a direct flight by British Airways, Virgin Atlantic or any airline from London to Lagos, costs as much as a flight from London to Australia, which is about 4 times the distance.

So can anyone explain that to me?

If what you are saying is correct, Air France flight from London to Lagos, Via Paris, should be more expensive than a direct flight from London to Lagos, but in fact its cheaper, the Milage Theory does not wash.
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by Pittbaby(f): 11:37am On Apr 08, 2010
nope not based on mileage , i think its based on the route , competition , regulations and capacity available at local airports

USA to SA is cheaper than USA to naija .
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by tunnytox(m): 12:46pm On Apr 08, 2010
Honestly its just a rip off going on but unfortunately unchallenged. Its even cheaper to travel to South Africa from London than to Lagos!
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by Bossman(m): 11:33pm On Apr 09, 2010
It's a total ripoff that has absolutely nothing to do with distance. From the US you can travel to India, South Africa, and places that are farther than Nigeria (and not in West Africa) for less than you can travel to West African countries. It is total exploitation of countries that do not have their own airlines that fly these international routes. It's mainly the lack of competition and because they can get away with it.
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by iice(f): 1:30pm On Apr 11, 2010
I tire oo. . .you go think say na end of the world you dey go for the charges undecided
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:02am On Apr 12, 2010
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 3:13pm On Apr 12, 2010
Did he go on to pay the amount to travel to Nigeria?
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:08am On Apr 13, 2010
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 10:36am On Apr 13, 2010
The closest we have to a national carrier should be Arik. But of recent Arik has started immitating the foreign airlines by charging comparable fares. At times their charges are even more than ba and virgin as happened when i visited naija in january hence i flew ba.
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by moonraker(m): 6:22am On Apr 14, 2010
There are three things that i think are the reasons for such high fares

1. Relations btw the governments of these countries that have national carriers is not soo strong

2. High landing licence fees by the FAAN

3. Just Pure Discrimination,

Competion is not even an issue,  we have so many foreign airliners that can carry peeps from wherever

they are to nigeria and back,  Emirates, Qatar, MEA, BA, KLM, Aif france, Alitalia, Kenya, Ethiopia, Egypt, Iberia, etc,

If u think that i am wrong, pls try checking out KIX-LOME and KIX-LOS on Air France and see the hugh difference in the air prices,

one would have though that since we were colonist of britain, we would at least get soome discount of some sorts,  but hey we dont

even have a government that works, president is MIA, go figure,
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by ikeyman00(m): 9:50pm On Apr 14, 2010
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
white[size=30pt]
RIPPED OFF[/size] SIMPLE

no need for prevarications!!!! Jesus

exploiting black-stupidity
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by olukojo: 9:11pm On Jun 09, 2010
There's no point making excuses for these airlines, they are over charging travellers to Nigeria, and this is very bad for Nigerian Economy

When people (travellers) spend too much getting to a place they end up spending nothing when they get there.

No matter what the argument is, it shouldn't cost as much to travel from London to Lagos, which is bearly 6 hours, then from London to Sydney Australia which is 21 to 30 hours.
Re: Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? by DisGuy: 7:43am On Jun 10, 2010
ikeyman00:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
white[size=30pt]
RIPPED OFF[/size] SIMPLE

no need for prevarications!!!! Jesus

exploiting black-stupidity

Arik is owned by nigeria @s superman

(1) (Reply)

I Am In Rwanda Right Now, I Didnt Pay A Dime To Get Here / Austria Student Visa. / The New Yorker Magazine Article On Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.