Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,245 members, 7,815,352 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (303) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (915497 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (300) (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 6:15pm On May 31, 2018
tyma21:
I went for my Interview today and was denied.
Please here is my transcript. I will really appreciate if i can get anyone to help me to know where i went wrong cos i will be applying for another interview soon and if possible anyone have idea of the earliest date and help me with better preparation.

VO: Goodmorning,pls pass me your Visa nd i20
VO: can you tell me your educational qualifications?
Me: i had my first degree in Law at the UNi... after which i proceeded for my 1yr certification at the Nigerian Law school as a Legal Practisioner
VO: ooh! So you are a lawyer
Me: Yes, i am
VO: where are you going to?
Me: i am going to the USA for my masters degree in public Administration at the Uni of Illinois,Springfield.

VO: how many school did you apply to and what interest you about the school?
Me: i applied to just UIS and aside from the fact that the school offers a masters degree program in a course that alines with my profession as a legal practitioner, the school also provides a form of liberal arts system in which i do not only get to offer MPA only as a masters degree course but also offers as a graduate degree course in public sector labour relations. And also prior to my interview, i had exchanged several emails with a lecturer in the department who advised me on the importance of having a qualification in MPA as a legal practitioner.

VO: why MPA?
Me: i choose MPA because the course is a plus to my career as a legal practitioner as it will enable me understand the legislative complexities involved in policy making, analysis and decision making and also to ensure sustainability and efficiency in the processess involved in formulating, implementing and enforcement of this policies into law.

VO: what career plan do you hve with MPA?
Me: upon my graduation as an MPA holder i am returning back to my country as cos as a degree in MPa you can work in any government parastatals. i would be working as an Administrative Service Manager ensuring proper analysis of incentives, ensuring policies are made subject to societal needs and also as a liason officer to policy affected group such as the labour sector.

VO: what part of Administration?
VO: Administration of policies in areas of social inclusion, rights and sustainability of the rules of law.

VO: did you write any exam?
Me: Yes, i wrote an online examfrom the school which ranges from English, mathematics,QR and Verbal Reasoning. Every other exams was waived for me due to my results from the University.( all the exams was waived)

VO: who is your sponsor?
Me: My aunt

VO:why is she sponsoring you and why cant your parent sponsor you?
Me: she has been the one sponsoring my education right from secondary school.
VO: sorry .......

He was typing all through the interview and i made sure I maintained a good eye contact. He stopped typing when he asked for my sponsor.

The first thing that stood out to me here is that you didn't seem to have a current job/career. You already have a law degree and presumably have been called to the bar. Are you currently a practicing lawyer? If yes, where? How will the MPA enhance your current job? That is the question you were supposed to answer. You gave too many vague responses and there is no evidence that you are currently utilizing your law degree so on what basis do you expect the VO to agree that you need an MPA?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Glocal1: 6:17pm On May 31, 2018
paulemi:
Hello guys,
I want to appreciate all the people that have been contributing on this thread and making life easier for Nigerians aspiring to study in the US. You guys are doing a great job. I wonder if anyone here can help me with answers to a few questions regarding my application process for master's in Mechanical engineering at csu Sacramento.

It is not mentioned anywhere on the school's website that one should submit a sop as part of requirements, is this an oversight or are there schools that don't require a sop for master's degree admission?

Secondly, is the accounts statement meant to be submitted during application or after one has been admitted?
I have sent emails to the graduate school coordinator of the faculty and office of international admissions, and it's running into weeks now, none of them has replied. What kind of school does that.

Please anyone with idea about csu Sacramento should help with a reply.
Not all schools /programs require SOP, some others even require Resume, abstract of an intending research etc as additional admission requirements
Bank statement requirements should be on the school's website. It depends on the school as well. You can call the staff in charge of admissions, if their phone numbers can be found on the website, student handbook /graduate catalogue.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Quoran: 6:26pm On May 31, 2018
It wasn't so easy to be honest. I had like five recommenders from my UG and PG. My masters degree supervisor was fond of me so he gladly filled them for me.He filled all the ten for me without complaining.
Glocal1:
Congrats bro, wish you greater success in your endeavors. How did you get recommenders for these Schools?

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tyma21(f): 6:41pm On May 31, 2018
TWoods:

The first thing that stood out to me here is that you didn't seem to have a current job/career. You already have a law degree and presumably have been called to the bar. Are you currently a practicing lawyer? If yes, where? How will the MPA enhance your current job? That is the question you were supposed to answer. You gave too many vague responses and there is no evidence that you are currently utilizing your law degree so on what basis do you expect the VO to agree that you need an MPA?

I told him I currently work as an associate in law firm at....

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Glocal1: 6:45pm On May 31, 2018
Quoran:
It wasn't so easy to be honest. I had like five recommenders from my UG and PG. My masters degree supervisor was fond of me so he gladly filled them for me.He filled all the ten for me without complaining.
You owe him a lot. 3 out of 4 filled my form after the deadline.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sorelee(m): 6:57pm On May 31, 2018
I don't see how that should be a problem. Definately the VO is also fully aware that Masters in business law could make her a better business person in today’s global economy.

Not everyone goes to law school to become just a lawyer. Whether you’re interested in practicing law for a multinational firm or planning to apply your newfound expertise in the region’s law to a career in business, studying law outside your country will vastly enrich your profile.

Infact Today’s economy is increasingly global. Students looking for an edge in this dynamic marketplace are likely to find it in commercial law studies abroad.

So I don't see how that should be a problem

TWoods:

The VO is fully aware that you do not need a US or foreign degree to be a successful lawyer in Nigeria. In fact, the VO is also aware that a US law degree is of practically no use to you as a lawyer in Nigeria. It was pretty easy to see why you were denied.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Quoran: 6:58pm On May 31, 2018
Oops sorry about that. He wanted me to succeed and was always happy to write a recommendation for me. My Nigerian lecturers needed to be reminded with recharge card. Lol
Glocal1:
You owe him a lot. 3 out of 4 filled my form after the deadline.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 7:00pm On May 31, 2018
tyma21:

I told him I currently work as an associate in law firm at....

To me, your problem lies here:

Me: i choose MPA because the course is a plus to my career as a legal practitioner as it will enable me understand the legislative complexities involved in policy making, analysis and decision making and also to ensure sustainability and efficiency in the processess involved in formulating, implementing and enforcement of this policies into law.

Me: upon my graduation as an MPA holder i am returning back to my country as cos as a degree in MPa you can work in any government parastatals. i would be working as an Administrative Service Manager ensuring proper analysis of incentives, ensuring policies are made subject to societal needs and also as a liason officer to policy affected group such as the labour sector.

VO: Administration of policies in areas of social inclusion, rights and sustainability of the rules of law.

He gave you three opportunities to establish ties here and you did not. If you are already working at a law firm, why are you leaving that firm to pursue an MPA? Does this suggest you intend to change career paths? If so, why?

How is the MPA a plus to your career? Do you require an MPA to be a better lawyer or specialize in a particular sector of law? Do a large number of Nigerian law professionals need MPAs?

What do you mean by "enable me understand the legislative complexities involved in policy making, analysis and decision making"? Do Nigerian legislators all have MPAs as a requirement for their duties? Why then do you need one as a lawyer?

What do you mean by "ensure sustainability and efficiency in the processess involved in formulating, implementing and enforcement of this policies into law"? Is that a part of your job now? Is it intended to be part of your job after your MPA? If yes, then how?

Based on your answers, I deduce that your decision to pursue an MPA is not based on advancing your career at your current law firm. So you cannot use them as ties since you will obviously be resigning that position to advance your education. In that case, what is the basis for leaving your current job to pursue an MPA and likely change your career? Your second answer suggests you have no idea and simply stumbling around for anything you think the VO wants to hear. The only reason to leave a secure job (in a nation where jobs are hard to come by) to pursue a US masters degree to do something vague and undefined is because your primary intention is to immigrate to the US. You simply made it worse by applying to just one school and one which isn't likely to be in the top 20 for MPA programs in the US.

The earlier we realize these VOs can see through our cock and bull stories, the better for us.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 7:09pm On May 31, 2018
Sorelee:
I don't see how that should be a problem. Definately the VO is also fully aware that Masters in business law could make her a better business person in today’s global economy.

Not everyone goes to law school to become just a lawyer. Whether you’re interested in practicing law for a multinational firm or planning to apply your newfound expertise in the region’s law to a career in business, studying law outside your country will vastly enrich your profile.

Infact Today’s economy is increasingly global. Students looking for an edge in this dynamic marketplace are likely to find it in commercial law studies abroad.

So I don't see how that should be a problem

The above is certainly true... but America is not required to provide that edge in this dynamic marketplace neither is a US visa paramount to that goal.

The US VOs have a law to uphold, that every non-immigrant visa applicant prove that they have ties that compel them to leave the US after a visit. That is the key thing here... they are not interested in global markets and competitiveness. The VO is also fully aware that several Nigerian schools offer an MPA degree so he/she is not duty bound to grant you a visa.

So you have some options:
1. Apply to top US schools. Most VOs will not bother to deny you.
2. Apply to mid-tier/low-tier schools but get ready to offer your ancestors as evidence of ties.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by chinemomah2020(m): 7:10pm On May 31, 2018
Hello Guys.. Please my cousin is trying to book Egypt Air to JFK but we are hearing some speculations that Egypt air does not allow one way ticket for student. Please has anyone fly Egypt air using one way?? Or is there anyone who has currently booked Egypy air one way ticket? Please kindly share your experince with us, if you have any idea about it. Thanks people.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by imperiouxx(m): 7:10pm On May 31, 2018
Quoran:

That's good. It's good to be a good student when in school. Five years after my masters my supervisor won't hesitate to write me good recommendations.... I've worked for it and we still stay in touch. And in this new program, my gross anatomy instructor already recommending me for a grad assistant position in gross lab but I need more than minimum wage, so I went to get a summer job off campus.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by nwendujudy: 7:49pm On May 31, 2018
Hello house

Please can valid sevis fee receipt be transferred from one school to another? I was denied visa and am planning to reapply this spring to another school,upon my inquiry,the school official said I would have to pay another sevis fee. The one I previously paid for will expire this November and am planing to go for another visa interview by September or October. Do I have a case here my people?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Wuantilla: 7:59pm On May 31, 2018
Quoran:
VO: Good morning. Please pass me your passport and 1-20.
Me: Good morning
VO: I can see that you're going to Texas A and M University, College Station for a doctorate in Mechanical Engineering.
ME:Yes PhD Mechanical Engineering
VO:Interesting. Tell me about your past academic experiences
Me:I had my first degree at the University of Benin and had my masters at UCL.
VO: Where did you do your masters degree?
Me:I did my masters at UCL.
VO: London?
Me:Yes
VO: What have you been doing since then?
Me:I work for a XYZ .....
VO: (cut in).... You have a UK work visa ?
Me:Yes
VO: Tell me about your research
Me:My research is about qwertyuioplkjhgfdssa (Details are boring. You won't need it lol)
VO: Who's your supervisor?
Me: Professor XYZ
VO: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: 10
VO: Name them.
Me: TAMU,Stanford, UCLA,TTU,MTU,UOA,UVA,RPI, OSU and WSU

VO: Your visa has been approved. Read this and do what's right to avoid been denied entry to the USA. Have a nice day.
Me: Thank you

Thanks to everyone on this thread.

Congrats Quoran

I also got admitted into Texas A&M University, College Station to study Mechanical Engineering at the PHD level. I also got my VISA approved. Please can we meet?

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:23pm On May 31, 2018
Wuantilla:

Congrats Quoran

I also got admitted into Texas A&M University, College Station to study Mechanical Engineering at the PHD level. I also got my VISA approved. Please can we meet?

You no want make others learn or know what questions are current . .... please share your transcript

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sorelee(m): 8:25pm On May 31, 2018
exactly... only God knows why some peeps here refused to share their transcript . They come here gain lot of infos but just to give back a token with their visa transcript they dont.

LagosismyHome:

You no want make others learn or know what questions are current . .... please share your transcript

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by bod911: 8:26pm On May 31, 2018
Ubah1:

Who do you plan to use now?

Bro, please have you been able to book an appointment? Any changes.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 8:41pm On May 31, 2018
nwendujudy:
Hello house

Please can valid sevis fee receipt be transferred from one school to another? I was denied visa and am planning to reapply this spring to another school,upon my inquiry,the school official said I would have to pay another sevis fee. The one I previously paid for will expire this November and am planing to go for another visa interview by September or October. Do I have a case here my people?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 8:42pm On May 31, 2018
nwendujudy:
Hello house

The school official who provided you the information is going to be far more knowledgeable about US immigration law (as it pertains to international students) than anyone here. If he says you need to pay another SEVIS fee, there is nothing anyone can tell you here.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:58pm On May 31, 2018
nwendujudy:
Hello house

Transfer is possible .... if the school states otherwise then go to the offical website about sevis and see if you can provide direct quote officially about Sevis and share with the school .

If they insist otherwise then you have to take it . The school official most likely knows more than us here

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ubah1(m): 9:04pm On May 31, 2018
bod911:

Bro, please have you been able to book an appointment? Any changes.

Yes i have booked since mine is up to 6months
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by happyday: 9:13pm On May 31, 2018
reDazey:
My Visa was approved today at Abuja Embassy.
My transcript goes like this:
VO: Good morning, can I have your passport and I-20?
Me: Good morning(with a smile). I gave her.
VO: You are going for a Ph.D. at the College of William and Mary?

Aha! Don't even know what to say. Congrats dearie, I'm so so excited for you!!! Accept that for now, as we'll complete the rest soon enough.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by happyday: 9:15pm On May 31, 2018
Quoran:
VO: Good morning. Please pass me your passport and 1-20.
Me: Good morning
VO: I can see that you're going to Texas A and M University, College Station for a doctorate in Mechanical Engineering.
ME:Yes PhD Mechanical Engineering
VO:Interesting. Tell me about your past academic experiences

Congrats brother! A well-rounded transcript indeed.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by bod911: 9:20pm On May 31, 2018
Ubah1:

Yes i have booked since mine is up to 6months

Oh thanks, have you heard of anyone able to book?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by happyday: 9:22pm On May 31, 2018
paulemi:
Hello guys,
I want to appreciate all the people that have been contributing on this thread and making life easier for Nigerians aspiring to study in the US. You guys are doing a great job. I wonder if anyone here can help me with answers to a few questions regarding my application process for master's in Mechanical engineering at csu Sacramento.

It is not mentioned anywhere on the school's website that one should submit a sop as part of requirements, is this an oversight or are there schools that don't require a sop for master's degree admission?

Secondly, is the accounts statement meant to be submitted during application or after one has been admitted?
I have sent emails to the graduate school coordinator of the faculty and office of international admissions, and it's running into weeks now, none of them has replied. What kind of school does that.

Please anyone with idea about csu Sacramento should help with a reply.

Yes, only research-intensive programs tend to ask for SoPs. No reply in weeks is not a good sign. If you can, kindly diversify your eggs.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ybahrbz91: 9:57pm On May 31, 2018
I wonder how best to describe the face behind this moniker @LagosismyHome. I was reading this response and I needed not check who could give such a succinct reply, behold it was YOU.
Let me make a wide guess, m/status; MARRIED
THanks to everyone for contributing to this forum. No matter how little, we the silent follower 'like me' deserves no accolades.
LagosismyHome:

yesterday there have been stories about people denied entry into the US because they have a Muslim name and other factors related to religion and other bias .. It happens . Entry into a country can be subjective and it their country their rules .......

However i doubt if the US embassy in Nigeria discriminate just because someone wears a Muslim cap . Be prepared , be intelligent , have a good profile and i am sure you be fine . My friend was worried some years ago with this , as she wears an Hijab . She was going to Hopkins and her interview was effortless .

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by chinemomah2020(m): 10:43pm On May 31, 2018
Please am still waiting for response.. any info about the below will be appreciated.

Hello Guys.. Please my cousin is trying to book Egypt Air to JFK but we are hearing some speculations that Egypt air does not allow one way ticket for student. Please has anyone fly Egypt air using one way?? Or is there anyone who has currently booked Egypy air one way ticket? Please kindly share your experince with us, if you have any idea about it. Thanks people.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by RexCheeng: 11:23pm On May 31, 2018
chinemomah2020:
Please am still waiting for response.. any info about the below will be appreciated.

I know two students who booked one-way tickets to JFK this month. You can visit their office or call for clarifications.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kacey007: 11:55pm On May 31, 2018
Any Cleveland State University admits here? I have just been given admission but nothing yet on funding. Do I have to mail the school concerning funding?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jamoyakz: 12:12am On Jun 01, 2018
fregkay:
Great responses, the VO wasn't just convinced about your aunt sponsoring you.
hello bro.... how is it going?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jamoyakz: 12:16am On Jun 01, 2018
chinemomah2020:

you can book a one way ticket but it's preferable you visit their office coz Egypt air get small kolo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jamoyakz: 12:27am On Jun 01, 2018
tyma21:
I went for my Interview today and was denied.
Please here is my transcript. I will really appreciate if i can get anyone to help me to know where i went wrong cos i will be applying for another interview soon and if possible anyone have idea of the earliest date and help me with better preparation.

VO: Goodmorning,pls pass me your Visa nd i20
VO: can you tell me your educational qualifications?
Me: i had my first degree in Law at the UNi... after which i proceeded for my 1yr certification at the Nigerian Law school as a Legal Practisioner
VO: ooh! So you are a lawyer
Me: Yes, i am
VO: where are you going to?
Me: i am going to the USA for my masters degree in public Administration at the Uni of Illinois,Springfield.

VO: how many school did you apply to and what interest you about the school?
Me: i applied to just UIS and aside from the fact that the school offers a masters degree program in a course that alines with my profession as a legal practitioner, the school also provides a form of liberal arts system in which i do not only get to offer MPA only as a masters degree course but also offers as a graduate degree course in public sector labour relations. And also prior to my interview, i had exchanged several emails with a lecturer in the department who advised me on the importance of having a qualification in MPA as a legal practitioner.

VO: did you write any exam?
Me: Yes, i wrote an online examfrom the school which ranges from English, mathematics,QR and Verbal Reasoning. Every other exams was waived for me due to my results from the University.( all the exams was waived)

VO: who is your sponsor?
Me: My aunt

VO:why is she sponsoring you and why cant your parent sponsor you?
Me: she has been the one sponsoring my education right from secondary school.
VO: sorry .......

He was typing all through the interview and i made sure I maintained a good eye contact. He stopped typing when he asked for my sponsor.
well from your transcript I can detect two points which the VO didn't believe Firstly not taken a standardized I. e Gre or GMAT which some veterans in here like bigfrancis21 have always talked about being some times the decider (VO seems not to convince with the online test story ). secondly I think the VO found MPA abstract for someone with a legal background.
I wish you success in your next attempt and please don't forget God factor.
Regards

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by imperiouxx(m): 12:31am On Jun 01, 2018
kacey007:
Any Cleveland State University admits here? I have just been given admission but nothing yet on funding. Do I have to mail the school concerning funding?

Ask your grad coordinator about opportunity for funding. They will tell you if there is any and steps to take.

(1) (2) (3) ... (300) (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.