Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,304 members, 7,836,324 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (306) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (924135 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jun 01, 2018
electricpole:
SOS
I need someone to help me in term of monetary aspect of this application from GRE to 3 app fee for 3schools for next app section ending december..... you don't need to send me the money, I have my profile opened on the school I wanna apply to since 2016, so anyone can help me directly on it...so it won't look like I wanna collect money and run.
my inability to get funds for this is delaying me and parents are retired, selling this idea to them seems unproductive....
anyone that could help, I will be grateful
I am applying for analytical chemistry PHD, hoping to get funding
pls I need assistance.
my email- juliusseun10@yahoo.com for direct contact or better still on this platform.
thanks God bless.

Send me a PM
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Olalekank(m): 8:47pm On Jun 01, 2018
Chidinho10:

Send me a PM
Duke man grin
Nice one.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kingfintan: 9:05pm On Jun 01, 2018
kingfintan:
Gurus in the house, please I am going for a 2 years bachelors degree, as I was given admission from a university in US, I was admitted as a secon degree student because I have a first degree before, and am to finish the second degree in 2 years in lieu of the standard 4 years..is this a good one for me? And how will the VO see this. Because this is a course on Applied disaster and Emergency studies, I require just 60 credit to complete the second degree because my first degree in engineering was recognized.. has anyone gotten a visa with this before, please help a brother.. some call it transfer student.. please help oo

Please gurus help on this
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sayhi2riles: 10:06pm On Jun 01, 2018
USCIS Policy Change Could Bar Many International Students

https://­search.app./­RVzXu

Shared from my Google feed

USCIS Policy Change Could Bar Many International Students
forbes.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by imperiouxx(m): 10:24pm On Jun 01, 2018
kingfintan:
Gurus in the house, please I am going for a 2 years bachelors degree, as I was given admission from a university in US, I was admitted as a secon degree student because I have a first degree before, and am to finish the second degree in 2 years in lieu of the standard 4 years..is this a good one for me? And how will the VO see this. Because this is a course on Applied disaster and Emergency studies, I require just 60 credit to complete the second degree because my first degree in engineering was recognized.. has anyone gotten a visa with this before, please help a brother.. some call it transfer student.. please help oo

What's the name of the school that gave you the admission and what's your credential that satisfied their admission requirement?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Tunmise100(m): 10:26pm On Jun 01, 2018
Sassandra:
ASK YOURSELF ONE SIMPLE QUESTION; Why do I want this masters in this University in this Country?!

I have been a silent observer of this thread and I’m not happy with a lot of things I’ve been seeing. Lots of people are plying into these “dead” schools thinking they can “finally leave Nigeria” and “finally achieve their dreams”. No boss, think again.

The only reason why people should consider an MSc is simple; to get access to a network from that masters for what ever reason it is that you want. For instance, if you’re working and you want to change your industry, or if you want to change geography (e.g. Nigeria to Canada), then a “good” MSc is perfect for that because you’d get access to a career center and the “access” that’ll give you that platform to achieve the desired career or geographical change you’re looking for.

So at the end of the day, we should ask ourselves, why do I want this masters sef ?
For me personally, I am pursuing a masters because I want more global exposure and I want a change geographically. There are other options I can take to getting what I want obviously. I can decide to stay in Nigeria and finish my professional qualification, then do an MBA and leave. But I want to leave as soon as possible so an MSc is a better option for me.

If someone wants to work in Nigeria and is finding it hard in getting a job, don’t think a masters abroad would solve that problem automatically. You need networks (which you can find for free on LinkedIn), you need trainings (e.g. industry certifications like ICAN or ACCA). You can even decide to apply to Edubridge. Edubridge trains undergraduates and graduates for investment banking and consulting jobs. They bring in a lot of industry leaders and you can use that platform to network to get a job. You can also use the brand “Edubridge” to secure a couple of interviews

If someone comes to tell me that they want to do their masters in Nigeria, CU for instance, for the sake of being more employable, I’d advise them to print their CV and go from company to company, code email and interact with people on LinkedIn, enroll in Edubridge and get reputable industry certifications that'll make them more attractive. Something would surely click, rather than going to spend c. 1 million naira in a school that won’t even give you any “access” to Broad Street or Adeola Odeku, where all the financial companies are, or Ikeja, the hub of technology in Nigeria. Unilag is even better in terms of “access” to Broad Street or Adeola Odeku because they have a very strong alumni presence in that area. (Please note: I am not endorsing an MSc in Unilag)

If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc for the *sole* purpose of making your cv more “ghen-ghen”, then you should reconsider it. For instance, If you work in McKinsey, you already have like 95/100 points in terms of CV ghenghen-ness, and there’s no point in leaving your job to do a masters that’ll only increase your CV ghenghen-ness from the 95 it currently is in to a 98 (it can never be greater than 100). Besides, only a few schools can do that, think HBS and Warton.

If you fall among the category of people whose main purpose for a masters is for employability in Nigeria, all you have to do is to find out what your employer is looking for. More often than not, it’s not an international masters they’re looking for. Many of them are looking for experience, many of them are looking for industry certifications. That international masters may not necessarily give you the network to securing a job in your home country. LinkedIn is waay better for that and very much more cost effective.

If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc to re-brand themselves. Maybe you didn’t do too well in Undergrad, or you went to a very dead Nigerian University. An MSc is great for that, however, APPLY TO THE BEST SCHOOL YOUR PROFILE CAN AFFORD! Don’t you want the best for yourself?

Last but definitely not the least, If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc to run away, say you wan marry and get citizenship, then your case is special. If youre using a “dead school”, good luck with creating a compelling story that you can sell to the VO’s. You think those guys be mumu?

Many people here are looking for shortcuts, you don’t want to write GRE and TOEFL but you want to get admitted with full funding and you also want to secure a mad job upon graduation? Bros how far na? You no hustle but you won chop fufu?. If your input is mediocrity, your output will surely be mediocrity.

“We see better when we stand on the shoulders of those that have gone ahead of us”. This is why we have nairaland but its just turning more and more mediocre with the schools that are being mentioned here daily. Please lets shoot higher shots!

From my simple and humble perspective,your propositions are flawed with so many loopholes. Your argument is shallow and also very myopic. Funny to also find out that you created this moniker today and you started posting your myopic opinion on 4 travel discussion group. grin
Sassandra:
ASK YOURSELF ONE SIMPLE QUESTION; Why do I want this masters in this University in this Country?!

I have been a silent observer of this thread and I’m not happy with a lot of things I’ve been seeing. Lots of people are plying into these “dead” schools thinking they can “finally leave Nigeria” and “finally achieve their dreams”. No boss, think again.

The only reason why people should consider an MSc is simple; to get access to a network from that masters for what ever reason it is that you want. For instance, if you’re working and you want to change your industry, or if you want to change geography (e.g. Nigeria to Canada), then a “good” MSc is perfect for that because you’d get access to a career center and the “access” that’ll give you that platform to achieve the desired career or geographical change you’re looking for.

So at the end of the day, we should ask ourselves, why do I want this masters sef ?
For me personally, I am pursuing a masters because I want more global exposure and I want a change geographically. There are other options I can take to getting what I want obviously. I can decide to stay in Nigeria and finish my professional qualification, then do an MBA and leave. But I want to leave as soon as possible so an MSc is a better option for me.

If someone wants to work in Nigeria and is finding it hard in getting a job, don’t think a masters abroad would solve that problem automatically. You need networks (which you can find for free on LinkedIn), you need trainings (e.g. industry certifications like ICAN or ACCA). You can even decide to apply to Edubridge. Edubridge trains undergraduates and graduates for investment banking and consulting jobs. They bring in a lot of industry leaders and you can use that platform to network to get a job. You can also use the brand “Edubridge” to secure a couple of interviews

If someone comes to tell me that they want to do their masters in Nigeria, CU for instance, for the sake of being more employable, I’d advise them to print their CV and go from company to company, code email and interact with people on LinkedIn, enroll in Edubridge and get reputable industry certifications that'll make them more attractive. Something would surely click, rather than going to spend c. 1 million naira in a school that won’t even give you any “access” to Broad Street or Adeola Odeku, where all the financial companies are, or Ikeja, the hub of technology in Nigeria. Unilag is even better in terms of “access” to Broad Street or Adeola Odeku because they have a very strong alumni presence in that area. (Please note: I am not endorsing an MSc in Unilag)

If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc for the *sole* purpose of making your cv more “ghen-ghen”, then you should reconsider it. For instance, If you work in McKinsey, you already have like 95/100 points in terms of CV ghenghen-ness, and there’s no point in leaving your job to do a masters that’ll only increase your CV ghenghen-ness from the 95 it currently is in to a 98 (it can never be greater than 100). Besides, only a few schools can do that, think HBS and Warton.

If you fall among the category of people whose main purpose for a masters is for employability in Nigeria, all you have to do is to find out what your employer is looking for. More often than not, it’s not an international masters they’re looking for. Many of them are looking for experience, many of them are looking for industry certifications. That international masters may not necessarily give you the network to securing a job in your home country. LinkedIn is waay better for that and very much more cost effective.

If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc to re-brand themselves. Maybe you didn’t do too well in Undergrad, or you went to a very dead Nigerian University. An MSc is great for that, however, APPLY TO THE BEST SCHOOL YOUR PROFILE CAN AFFORD! Don’t you want the best for yourself?

Last but definitely not the least, If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc to run away, say you wan marry and get citizenship, then your case is special. If youre using a “dead school”, good luck with creating a compelling story that you can sell to the VO’s. You think those guys be mumu?

Many people here are looking for shortcuts, you don’t want to write GRE and TOEFL but you want to get admitted with full funding and you also want to secure a mad job upon graduation? Bros how far na? You no hustle but you won chop fufu?. If your input is mediocrity, your output will surely be mediocrity.

“We see better when we stand on the shoulders of those that have gone ahead of us”. This is why we have nairaland but its just turning more and more mediocre with the schools that are being mentioned here daily. Please lets shoot higher shots!

From my simple and humble perspective,your propositions are flawed with so many loopholes. Your argument is shallow and also very myopic. Funny to also find out that you created this moniker today and you started posting your myopic opinion on about 4 travel discussion group.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by imperiouxx(m): 10:32pm On Jun 01, 2018
Tunmise100:

From my simple and humble perspective,your propositions are flawed with so many loopholes. Your argument is shallow and also very myopic. Funny to also find out that you created this moniker today and you started posting your myopic opinion on 4 travel discussion group. grin

Let's not quote all that giant post. Thanks

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Olalekank(m): 11:01pm On Jun 01, 2018
Tunmise100:

From my simple and humble perspective,your propositions are flawed with so many loopholes. Your argument is shallow and also very myopic. Funny to also find out that you created this.

This world truly is a small place. I know this "brother"! I'm still in unilag, csc attend dlcf once in a while. It's good to know you've finally achieved your long time dreams of getting to the US.

I pray that your US visa interview comes out positive. Congrats, PS, I prefer to remain anonymous under this monicker.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by chinemomah2020(m): 11:23pm On Jun 01, 2018
RexCheeng:

I know two students who booked one-way tickets to JFK this month. You can visit their office or call for clarifications.

Okay.. thanks man
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by chinemomah2020(m): 11:24pm On Jun 01, 2018
jamoyakz:
you can book a one way ticket but it's preferable you visit their office coz Egypt air get small kolo

Alright.. thanks Bro..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kingfintan: 11:45pm On Jun 01, 2018
imperiouxx:

What's the name of the school that gave you the admission and what's your credential that satisfied their admission requirement?

I was admitted at George Mason University Virginia, and my first degree was in Materials and production Engineering, and the propose course is Applied disaster and emergency studies, they requested for my transcript and waec result, it was screened by the admission department, and was given a second degree admission to be completed in 2 years.. though That was what I Applied for.. all thesame my First degree transcript and waec result is what they used.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by electricpole(m): 3:24am On Jun 02, 2018
Chidinho10:

Send me a PM
thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tufin: 3:55am On Jun 02, 2018
Hi Guys

If you were previously refused a visa in the last 6 months and you could not apply, check it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I checked for someone moments ago and i was able to get a date for the person.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tufin: 3:57am On Jun 02, 2018
Omolara216:

I can confirm this!
I helped someone to check and I got a date.

For real or are you kidding?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by arilewo(m): 4:48am On Jun 02, 2018
stainless91:

congratulations on your visa. God bless your new journey. I have few questions to ask as regards MSU application....
Did u submit scanned copy of academic transcript for initial admission evaluation? or u submitted official one through courier before admission?
was the offer together with admission? or separately?
Did u write any standardised exam GRE,TOEFL and what's ur profile like?
N:B I'm applying for my PhD this fall.
Thanks for ur time

I wrote both GRE and TOEFL though the school waived TOEFL for Nigerians. Scanned copy of transcripts accepted while the department gives admission with funding.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by OluDare01(m): 5:19am On Jun 02, 2018
arilewo:
Visa approved
VO: Tell me the schools you attended?
ME: I attended Kwara State College of Education Oro where I bagged NCE Chemistry/Mathematics before proceeding to University of Uyo for B.Sc degree. I did a masters program @ the University of Ibadan
I was given the white paper to pick up my Visa
Congratulations! You should touch base with Fortissimo, he's the boss at MSU.
Welcome to the chemistry club! Maybe I will see you at one of the national meetings.
A piece of advice: please take your time before you choose an advisor. If you're an analytical chemist and you're looking at getting a job here, try and learn how to use relevant instruments (especially chromatography and mass spec).

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Glowrie22: 6:00am On Jun 02, 2018
Gewezzy1:
Please has anyone heard of Arkansas Tech University please it's urgent

I have. It's probably the least known university in the state. I attend University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. From what I've heard from my Professors here, Ark tech has been having lots of issues.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dgreat001(m): 7:00am On Jun 02, 2018
Good morning everyone. Many thanks to everyone who has made this group quite enlightening. This is my first post here and I think I need more enlightenment.
Visa denied twice at the Lagos consulate

Brief background: I hold an M.A. degree in English (concentration: Syntax) but I was admitted on a full scholarship into Uni of Louisville for a master’s program in Rhetoric and Composition (under English dept). However, on the two occasions of my interview, the need for another master’s in the same discipline was always the brick wall.

VO: Why are you going to the US
Me: I’m going to the US to resume into the dept of English, Uni of Louisville for a master’s programme in Rhetoric and composition
VO: What is your highest qualification?
Me: A master’s in English
VO: So why are you going for a master’s in the same discipline
Me: Though under the broad discipline of English, I am going to study for another master’s because of my change of research focus. My first master’s was on Syntax but my understanding that Rhetoric and composition is a relatively new area of study in Nigeria which has little academics who specialize in it made me decide to take on this master’s to lead discussion in the area and be among those to frontier it into prominence in Nigeria (I might not have fully captured all word-for-word).
VO: Which other schools did you apply to
Me: BGSU, UND, WSU
VO: What made you choose Uof L
Me: The university is one of the well ranked public research institutions with cutting edge research capacities. It gives the opportunity to translate research findings into innovative practices through participation in conferences and workshop. I am excited to state that I was offered the opportunity to present one of my research works at the Discourse and Semiotics workshop also.

I was about furthering with my reasons for the choice of the school and he brought the blue stuff out.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated as I planto give it a shot one last time. Thank you all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ubah1(m): 7:25am On Jun 02, 2018
dgreat001:
Good morning everyone. Many thanks to everyone who has made this group quite enlightening. This is my first post here and I think I need more enlightenment.

Brief background: I hold an M.A. degree in English (concentration: Syntax) but I was admitted on a full scholarship into Uni of Louisville for a master’s program in Rhetoric and Composition (under English dept). However, on the two occasions of my interview, the need for another master’s in the same discipline was always the brick wall.

Me: I’m going to the US to resume into the dept of English, Uni of Louisville for a master’s programme in Rhetoric and composition
Me: Though under the broad discipline of English, I am going to study for another master’s because of my change of research focus. My first master’s was on Syntax but my understanding that Rhetoric and composition is a relatively new area of study in Nigeria which has little academics who specialize in it made me decide to take on this master’s to lead discussion in the area and be among those to frontier it into prominence in Nigeria (I might not have fully captured all word-for-word).
Me: The university is one of the well ranked public research institutions with cutting edge research capacities. It gives the opportunity to translate research findings into innovative practices through participation in conferences and workshop. I am excited to state that I was offered the opportunity to present one of my research works at the Discourse and Semiotics workshop also.

I was about furthering with my reasons for the choice of the school and he brought the blue stuff out.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated as I planto give it a shot one last time. Thank you all.

Stop reapplying for another appointment and change the degree you are pursuing. A phD will be better. The truth is if am a V.O i won't give you visa for pursuing a degree which you have already obtained. Apply for PhD this time if you really want to go with English studies.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adedoja99: 7:25am On Jun 02, 2018
dgreat001:

Oh, why na!! In my opinion, I don't think they give guys going to study English in the US a chance, like you can study it here, Nigeria is an English speaking country. Another problem is the Master's you hold again cry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ubah1(m): 7:28am On Jun 02, 2018
adedoja99:

Oh, why na!! In my opinion, I don't think they give guys going to study English in the US a chance, like you can study it here, Nigeria is an English speaking country. Another problem is the Master's you hold again cry

Yeah.. she holds a master in English and going for another masters in English. Doesn't sound well.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by learner007(m): 8:43am On Jun 02, 2018
dgreat001:

VO: What[b][/b] made you choose Uof L

I'm just thinking that you should have put your strongest point, full scholarship, forward when asked why the school. You didn't mention it at all. Overall, your highest level is masters, why would you want to waste time and millions repeating what you have 'mastered' already? I will advise you shoot for a PhD in a better ranked school. Truth is, that you were previously denied doesn't mean they hate you, HELL NO! 214B isn't a permanent ban. They only want to see a convincing reason each that you:

1. are a credible student ( GRE, TOEFL, REASONABLE PROGRAMS & SCH ETC)
2. can afford to pay for all incurred expenses (funding and tuition waiver, loan, valid bank statements etc)
3. have the intention to return ( valid and reasonable home ties...)

Just change your profile massively and watch the outcome change automatically...You can do it!

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dgreat001(m): 9:09am On Jun 02, 2018
Ubah1:

Yeah.. she holds a master in English and going for another masters in English. Doesn't sound well.

Lol... He not she.
Thank you for your invaluable opinion. May I, however, note that the study of English in Nigeria is focused on 3 or 4 areas of concentration. Nothing much (academics/discussions) on the area of research I hope to major in: Rhetoric and composition.

So, my thought for going for another master's in English is to redirect my area of research to this new focus. As this will enhance my chances to pick up a lecturing role (in writing units/immersion prog unit) and serve as a background for academic progression in an area I'd like to be an expert and authority in via a PhD degree.

This is on the broader outlook. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 02, 2018
dgreat001:

Me: Though under the broad discipline of English, I am going to study for another master’s because of my change of research focus. My first master’s was on Syntax but my understanding that Rhetoric and composition is a relatively new area of study in Nigeria which has little academics who specialize in it made me decide to take on this master’s to lead discussion in the area and be among those to frontier it into prominence in Nigeria (I might not have fully captured all word-for-word)
Me: The university is one of the well ranked public research institutions with cutting edge research capacities. It gives the opportunity to translate research findings into innovative practices through participation in conferences and workshop. I am excited to state that I was offered the opportunity to present one of my research works at the Discourse and Semiotics workshop also .

My Observation

FIRST HIGHLIGHT

Too much stories! You should try and do some mocks with experienced people so that you practice hard on your answers. Since this is a sensitive question, I would suggest you answer it in a way that the VO will fully comprehend your point. I suggest you list your points

"I'm going for another Master's in English for three reasons.

First, this Master's program is in an entirely different concentration from my first program. Current trends in the Nigerian labor market favors people with skills in syntax and I need to acquire this skill to be able to survive the Nigerian labor market (this point also proves home ties)

Second, research in this field appeals greatly to me. Since I lack prerequisite knowledge in the field, a Masters will provide a solid foundation for me to continue with a PhD in the concentration.

Finally, find another nice point to say.

In summary, don't just jumble up stories for the VO. Since this is a sensitive question, try listing your reasons with solid pointers so that the VO can assimilate them individually. Also, limit each point to just a few sentences.

SECOND HIGHLIGHT

If your program is not top ranked stop shooting yourself in the leg by mentioning ranking. The VOs are not fools. They have Premium access to US News rankings and with just a click, they can verify your claims on their computers.

Your university is ranked by US News as 165 nationally and 124 among best English graduate programs in the US. Why shoot yourself in the leg by mentioning ranking?

Instead of mentioning ranking, mention one unique thing about the school. Did you get a full financial aid offer? Do they have this unique research institute that conducts experiential projects? Does their program serve as a feeder school to your desired PhD program? These are unique points about the school you should sell to the VO instead of mentioning ranking

"I chose U of L because of three reasons.

First, I was offered a full ride financial aid which covers tuition and pays stipends throughout the duration of my study.

Second, U of L has the Center of Lingusitic Research (this is just an illustration) that conducts field research on Bleep. This is a unique feature about the school and since I have deficiency in my knowledge of sybtax, conducting research with this institute will give me the needed technical skills to gain full understanding of concepts.

Finally, as I said earlier, I see this program as a foundation for my PhD. I desire to acquire a PhD in Bleep at Bleep and U of L is among the top feeder schools to this program. Going there will increase my odds of joining my dream PhD program."

Keep your responses very short. This comes with constant practice.

Practice very well before paying another 58k for visa interview.
I wish you the very best!!!

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Naughtyvirgin(m): 9:30am On Jun 02, 2018
Err...Bro can i Pm u ?

[quote author=learner007 post=68104518]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ubah1(m): 9:35am On Jun 02, 2018
dgreat001:

Lol... He not she.
Thank you for your invaluable opinion. May I, however, note that the study of English in Nigeria is focused on 3 or 4 areas of concentration. Nothing much (academics/discussions) on the area of research I hope to major in: Rhetoric and composition.

So, my thought for going for another master's in English is to redirect my area of research to this new focus. As this will enhance my chances to pick up a lecturing role (in writing units/immersion prog unit) and serve as a background for academic progression in an area I'd like to be an expert and authority in via a PhD degree.

This is on the broader outlook. Thanks.

Lol okay.

But all this you mentioned can be achieved through PhD path. I will advise you reapply for PhD this time b4 going back to the embassy. My honest advice
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dgreat001(m): 9:36am On Jun 02, 2018
learner007:

I'm just thinking that you should have put your strongest point, full scholarship, forward when asked why the school. You didn't mention it at all. Overall, your highest level is masters, why would you want to waste time and millions repeating what you have 'mastered' already? I will advise you shoot for a PhD in a better ranked school. Truth is, that you were previously denied doesn't mean they hate you, HELL NO! 214B isn't a permanent ban. They only want to see a convincing reason each that you:

1. are a credible student ( GRE, TOEFL, REASONABLE PROGRAMS & SCH ETC)
2. can afford to pay for all incurred expenses (funding and tuition waiver, loan, valid bank statements etc)
3. have the intention to return ( valid and reasonable home ties...)

Just change your profile massively and watch the outcome change automatically...You can do it!

Thank you for this.
But for the studentship credibility:
1. GRE and IELTS... *yes*
2. Funding/assistantship... *yes*
3 Intention to return: Yes.
A. Return to pick up a lecturing job as this study will on 2-fold (exploring the discipline in the first language situation and concentrating on a budding area of research) make me recommendable by my academic networks, one of whom already gave an assurance (via an exchange of mail).
B. Utilise the knowledge in Digital humanities to network with experts in AI in Nigeria to proffer workable plans on leveraging technological tools and machine for optimising the learning and teaching of English in Nigeria and development of other Nigerian languages.

I know a PhD would have been without much hassles but I'm just trying to present my reasons for deciding on a master's during registration.

Thank you as I anticipate more opinions.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by chinemomah2020(m): 9:45am On Jun 02, 2018
Omolara216:

For real or are you kidding?

Whatever info you get from bigfrancis.. just take it. His information/advice is 100% legit.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dgreat001(m): 9:51am On Jun 02, 2018
Chidinho10:

My Observation

FIRST HIGHLIGHT

Too much stories! You should try and do some mocks with experienced people so that you practice hard on your answers. Since this is a sensitive question, I would suggest you answer it in a way that the VO will fully comprehend your point. I suggest you list your points

"I'm going for another Master's in English for three reasons.

First, this Master's program is in an entirely different concentration from my first program. Current trends in the Nigerian labor market favors people with skills in syntax and I need to acquire this skill to be able to survive the Nigerian labor market (this point also proves home ties)

Second, research in this field appeals greatly to me. Since I lack prerequisite knowledge in the field, a Masters will provide a solid foundation for me to continue with a PhD in the concentration.

Finally, find another nice point to say.

In summary, don't just jumble up stories for the VO. Since this is a sensitive question, try listing your reasons with solid pointers so that the VO can assimilate them individually. Also, limit each point to just a few sentences.

SECOND HIGHLIGHT

If your program is not top ranked stop shooting yourself in the leg by mentioning ranking. The VOs are not fools. They have Premium access to US News rankings and with just a click, they can verify your claims on their computers.

Your university is ranked by US News as 165 nationally and 124 among best English graduate programs in the US. Why shoot yourself in the leg by mentioning ranking?

Instead of mentioning ranking, mention one unique thing about the school. Did you get a full financial aid offer? Do they have this unique research institute that conducts experiential projects? Does their program serve as a feeder school to your desired PhD program? These are unique points about the school you should sell to the VO instead of mentioning ranking

"I chose U of L because of three reasons.

First, I was offered a full ride financial aid which covers tuition and pays stipends throughout the duration of my study.

Second, U of L has the Center of Lingusitic Research (this is just an illustration) that conducts field research on Bleep. This is a unique feature about the school and since I have deficiency in my knowledge of sybtax, conducting research with this institute will give me the needed technical skills to gain full understanding of concepts.

Finally, as I said earlier, I see this program as a foundation for my PhD. I desire to acquire a PhD in Bleep at Bleep and U of L is among the top feeder schools to this program. Going there will increase my odds of joining my dream PhD program."

Keep your responses very short. This comes with constant practice.

I wish you the very best!!!

Thank you very much for this! I must confess that I find it quite challenging to do the short responses and I know that I need to work on it.

Could I be welcome to send you a mail? Thanks immensely.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 02, 2018
dgreat001:

Thank you very much for this! I must confess that I find it quite challenging to do the short responses and I know that I need to work on it.

Could I be welcome to send you a mail? Thanks immensely.

You're welcome

Try and work on your responses before going for another interview. You can send the PM
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ije5oma(f): 9:59am On Jun 02, 2018
Hello @tufin,

I tried reapply around 4am but I still couldn’t book an appointment..I’m bothered cos my school is resuming soon

Hi Guys

If you were previously refused a visa in the last 6 months and you could not apply, check it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I checked for someone moments ago and i was able to get a date for the person.

[/quote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Fan01(m): 10:14am On Jun 02, 2018
'The university is one of the well ranked public research institutions with [/b]cutting-edge research capacities.[b] for MA in English language. ���

Nigerians sha.

Next time add that the school has on of the best state-of-the-art facilities that can help you develop the highest level of technical skill in English Language. cool

Good Luck.

dgreat001:

Me: The university is one of the well ranked public research institutions with cutting edge research capacities. It gives the opportunity to translate research findings into innovative practices through participation in conferences and workshop.

(1) (2) (3) ... (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) ... (514)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.