Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,027 members, 7,810,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:33 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (913519 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 1:58am On Jan 01, 2018
Thanks to everyone that contributed to the issue of the loan and co-signer I appreciate, it would have been much easy if there is anyone that has given the loan thing a shot... I have someone that can co-signer the loan to those doubting...cheers

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 1:59am On Jan 01, 2018
omoluabiguy:

I don’t want to believe that, It’s either your friends have you wrong information, but If the international student office stand for them, then it’s still considered as cosigner!

So that still brings us back to the fact that if there is no creditworthy cosigner, no student loan for an international student
Perhaps, what do you mean by post employment ability? Kindly elucidate because I don’t think that makes sense economically considering the fact that a student is on F1 visa and the school assures a financial company of the students ability to get job to pay back loans that could take as long as 15-20 years to payback

Oga stop making noise
Google "Prodigy Finance" and "MPower Finance". Things are changing.
In 5 years time, we will have a plethora of private firms offering nocosigner loans for Nigerians just as it is for Indians and Chinese people.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 2:04am On Jan 01, 2018
LagosismyHome:

This your friend too like better thing o smiley cheesy grin

Yeah, I too I'm aiming for a Harvard/Wharton/Tuck MBA later in my career. He's like a mentor to me that was how I knew about it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by omoluabiguy: 2:06am On Jan 01, 2018
Chidinho10:

Oga stop making noise
Google "Prodigy Finance" and "MPower Finance". Things are changing.
In 5 years time, we will have a plethora of private firms offering nocosigner loans for Nigerians just as it is for Indians and Chinese people.

You are rude and you lack the decorum to coordinate a decent arguement. I question your intelligence
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 2:07am On Jan 01, 2018
femi312:
Teedawg Please just forget this loan issue, its obvious these guys cant comprehend simple write up..They keep talking and giving examples about loans that don't require cosigner when the main point and bone of contention is a loan facility with cosigner. No one is arguing whether or not you can use prodigy or whatever as proof of fund. But saying you will go to the embassy with Salie mie and the rest that require cosigner in the US is misleading and I wont agree to until you bring forth a proof. The main point of F1 visa interview is to proof intent of not immigrating and show ties.

Mandem101 got a visa presenting his cosigned loan to the VO. I guess I've proven you wrong (once more)

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:10am On Jan 01, 2018
Fwesh101:
Thanks to everyone that contributed to the issue of the loan and co-signer I appreciate, it would have been much easy if there is anyone that has given the loan thing a shot... I have someone that can co-signer the loan to those doubting...cheers

Depending on the school....if this is a top school then less of an issue.

If this is a low ranked school then it can show immigration intent and personally I won't advice to use this for visa interview except for a top school
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Teedawg: 2:14am On Jan 01, 2018
Fwesh101:
Dude I have used a student loan b4 citizens bank to be precised. Unless you're using a loan company amongst all the previously mentioned prodigy finance and co or your school has partnership with any loan company then you can use all the informations from earlier references but if you're using the regular salie mae and and discover which is now under citizens bank and others all you need is to check previous mention of you

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Teedawg: 2:19am On Jan 01, 2018
Chidinho10:

Mandem101 got a visa presenting his cosigned loan to the VO. I guess I've proven you wrong (once more)
Dude you if you read that transcript well you won't be quick to mention me .... I tot u said the matter has ended.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:29am On Jan 01, 2018
jerrypeacelinks:

Compliments of the season bro. Been a while. To be Frank with you, I do not know what happened to me on that day. I really felt I had a great chance as I flowed well with the VO before I suddenly went blank from no where. I went home that day and cried myself sour as I relayed my experience to my brother and friend @Mayorboi.

I am yet to defer till FALL 2018 as I do not know how best to put my words together to notify the school I was denied a visa. This is because I don't know how to ask them if the tuition waiver and free campus housing they offered me can still be available by the Fall semester.

In addition to this, does being denied an F1 visa twice (November and December) in any way have a dent on my next chance of reapplying? Cos I intend reapplying for another interview by FALL?

I will appreciate responses from you baba, from @Twoods, @Lagosismyhome and any other person who has answers to my question.

Compliments of the season handsome and beautiful people...

You should not feel bad about contacting the school... Visa sometimes it out of your control so the school knows that. You won't be the first in this position and wont be the last so most schools are familiar with

If I were u i would contact the school asap and let them know so if there is any allotment for fall you can be included. Also since you gone twice maybe it best you defer till fall and come back refreshed.

Take heart... some life journies are not smooth but you get there soon . And yes always feel free to ask the school questions. Ask them about what waiver you can get in fall and if there are more offers as well

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 2:30am On Jan 01, 2018
Chidinho10:

Sigh..your comprehension skill is appalling.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by imperiouxx(m): 2:31am On Jan 01, 2018
LagosismyHome:

Depending on the school....if this is a top school then less of an issue.

If this is a low ranked school then it can show immigration intent and personally I won't advice to use this for visa interview except for a top school

I think omoluabiguy was talking about those regular private loans that are not attached to those specific programs. The truth is not all programs offer those loans. They will all direct you to regular private or federal loans. And not all loans are acceptable in every school.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 2:33am On Jan 01, 2018
Fwesh101:
Send me a Pm, let me give you a hint

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Time2Smile(m): 2:34am On Jan 01, 2018
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO cry cry cry cry don't tell me that you're going to pay for a PhD in Electrical engineering!!!!!!!!.... NO NO NO .. if so then this is very very very sad cry cry cry cry..... Never pay for a STEM PhD; never ever ever ever ever ever pay; no funding, no school cry
He posted the information before he went for the interview, and We advised him not to pay for PhD and to defer his admission to Fall for better funding opportunity.

I remember him saying some current students assured him that he would be funded once he arrives, but if all that fails, He is prepared to pay for the spring semester until funding becomes available in Fall.

I just think We are sometimes a little too eager to leave Nigeria for the USA. However, that's easy for me to say, isn't it? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 2:41am On Jan 01, 2018
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO cry cry cry cry don't tell me that you're going to pay for a PhD in Electrical engineering!!!!!!!!.... NO NO NO .. if so then this is very very very sad cry cry cry cry..... Never pay for a STEM PhD; never ever ever ever ever ever pay; no funding, no school cry
Its just so sad. Imagine you paying for Phd and your lab mates are enjoying 'free' money. That thought alone can cause depression.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by vinci500: 2:43am On Jan 01, 2018
Abeg link me up Bro. I beseech thee! The co-signer requirement is the only thing delaying my loan application approval.
Fwesh101:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 2:44am On Jan 01, 2018
vinci500:
Abeg link me up Bro. I beseech thee! The co-signer requirement is the only thing delaying my loan application approval.
grin grin....on a serious note, sometimes when people argue here, its not just for argument sake. You should try to pick one or two things. If I were you, I will be checking out the non US loan facility they have mentioned to see which one will work for me. Nobody that is not blood or very close to you will cosign a loan for you. Cosigning is much more that it seems.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 2:47am On Jan 01, 2018
Time2Smile:

He posted the information before he went for the interview, and We advised him not to pay for PhD and to defer his admission to Fall for better funding opportunity.

I remember him saying some current students assured him that he would be funded once he arrives, but if all that fails, He is prepared to pay for the spring semester until funding becomes available in Fall.

I just think We are sometimes a little too eager to leave Nigeria for the USA. However, that's easy for me to say, isn't it? grin grin grin
I don't even want to imagine the stress of quals, thesis selection, long lab hours and frustration now coupled with running around for money cry cry ... lot's of public schools won't even admit if they know that those federal and state $$$ won't be enough for funding doctoral candidates. cry cry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 2:48am On Jan 01, 2018
femi312:
Sigh..your comprehension skill is appalling.

I have nothing to prove to you. Arguing about this is a serious waste of time. You choose to believe what you want to believe. My joy is that a lot of people here on this thread now know that they can fund their education through cosigner and non cosigner loans as well as get visa approvals with their pre-approval letters. You opinion about it doesn't change that fact.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 2:53am On Jan 01, 2018
femi312:
Its just so sad. Imagine you paying for Phd and your lab mates are enjoying 'free' money. That thought alone can cause depression.
when other smaller schools will guarantee funding for 4 years + very nice fellowships and travel allowances. There are many stories of how Professor XYZ will promise heaven and earth for funding, then along the line, either the grant doesn't go through, or the little he gets goes towards his Post Docs and senior doctoral students and you're just left hanging and begging for any lab to accept you cry embarassed lipsrsealed..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by imperiouxx(m): 2:53am On Jan 01, 2018
Time2Smile:

shocked Orisirisi, someone planning to pay for a PhD program out of pocket? cheesy cheesy cheesy A STEM PhD which is government and NGO funded. He just about to cheat himself. Why cant he wait till funding becomes available next semester?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Dexty10: 2:55am On Jan 01, 2018
Hello guys... And Happy New Year.
I will like to know the U.S equivalent of my GPA score.
Had 3.6 GPA in My Bachelor's degree. What is the score on the U.S scale of 4.0?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:56am On Jan 01, 2018
Chidinho10:

I have nothing to prove to you. Arguing about this is a serious waste of time. You choose to believe what you want to believe. My joy is that a lot of people here on this thread now know that they can fund their education through cosigner and non cosigner loans as well as get visa approvals with their pre-approval letters. You opinion about it doesn't change that fact.

they can fund their education non cosigner loans as well

*** This is not the norm / standard practise and extremely difficult to get .. To those who are going to top schools with special arrangement maybe. For the rest then getting a loan without a non co signer is almost impossible
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by imperiouxx(m): 2:58am On Jan 01, 2018
Dexty10:

About 3.29/4

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 2:58am On Jan 01, 2018
Dexty10:
Should be around 3.2 or so. Go to https://applications.wes.org/igpa-calculator/ and calculate it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by vinci500: 3:19am On Jan 01, 2018
I fully understand your stance and trust me when I say I followed through the arguments, however none of the non-co-signing loan possibility stated seem to fit into my profile. Also, I understand co-signing is a serious commitment, especially in the case of a default from the primary applicant - Technically, I can say I worked as a credit officer for 2 years and I understand what it means to indemnify someone. That being said, plz if you can help a brother pleasee do (on my knees), you really did raise my hope when I read ur post on helping some1 get a co-signor. Trust me I have a fantastic credit record at least here in NG.
femi312:
grin grin....on a serious note, sometimes when people argue here, its not just for argument sake. You should try to pick one or two things. If I were you, I will be checking out the non US loan facility they have mentioned to see which one will work for me. Nobody that is not blood or very close to you will cosign a loan for you. Cosigning is much more that it seems.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Albertone(m): 3:28am On Jan 01, 2018
Joan011:
PM me pls i have some things to say to u.
ok...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Tolulopevictor: 4:07am On Jan 01, 2018
Dupsaw:
Visa Approved today at Lagos Embassy 6:45. This VO can ask question for Africa, but he is a nice guy tho. He listens to all one has to say. I wasn't even looking round the room because I was not ready to see any blue paper that would destabilize me, I was just looking towards the other side of the room

I would like to thank Deetus(my big uncle) for his time. Also Ecoleco, you were the first person I reached out to on this forum and you guided me according. Texrem words can not express how grateful I am to you for everything,you are one in a million. Teminiyi,thank you for all the scolding, it made me sit uptight. Abeeolars thank you for encouraging me and staying up all night with me on the phone yesterday.. And to everyone who I reached out to here at one time or the other. Thank you.

VO: Come forward please
VO: Passport and i-20 (passes it to him)

VO: Which school are you going to?
ME: Cleveland state university Ohio

VO: Course?
ME: Criminology

VO: (looks at me with surprise and says why criminology)
ME: I am someone who I love been involved in solving situations and in Nigeria , we are dealing with a lot to criminal situations (nods in agreement with me,for my mind I say OK O) and I believe that an indept knowledge of criminology is not only going to help me in understanding the psychologies that are behide crimes but it would also help me in finding suitable measures to tackle crimes from frequent occurrence in my country and also with this degree I would be able to contribute to the security of lives and properties of the people that are living in Nigeria.

VO:What kind of Job would you get with this degree in Nigeria
ME: I will take up a job with a law enforcement agency here in Nigeria where I would be able to utilize the skills and knowledge which I would have learnt in helping my country to tackle the crimes that we are facing from occurring frequently.

VO:Who is paying?
ME: My uncle

VO: What does he do?
ME: He works with Google as a( VO cuts in and says Google here in Nigeria or US) here in Nigeria as a product marketing manager for Nigeria and he owns a digital agency that is in partnership with Google here in Nigeria where they provide services to telecommunications , banks and multinational companies.

VO: Are you married
ME: No I am not

VO: When did you finish high school?
ME: 2009

VO: What have you been doing since?
ME: I first went to obtain my National diploma degree

VO: What Jobs have you been doing?
ME: I worked with educare foundation where we create awareness against rape, drug and child abuse and I also voluntarily worked with( he cuts me here and then asks

VO: what course your ND IN and what year did you finish?
ME: In masscomm and finished in 2013

VO: OK continue about your voluntary job
ME: Chai na so i forget wayti i dey say o i forgot the name of the voluntary job company, I just started smiling so much and then he smiled back(this is why i said he is a nice guy, I interpreted the smile as calm down girl we are just having a conversation) and immediately i remembered. I worked with the committee encouraging corporate philanthropy on raising funds to buy a mobile cancer clinic for Lagos and present I work with a security firm as a customer service rep(ALL IN DS160).

VO: Have you traveled out before
ME: I havent had any reason to until now(looks up and gives me a look that means like seriously)

VO; Are you married?
ME: NO

VO:How many schools did you apply to?
ME:3

VO: How many admitted you and name them
ME: MTSU and Michigan state university, MTSU admitted me

VO: Why pick cleveland over MTSU?
ME; I chose csu because they have a criminology research center where I would be exposed to know how criminal minds work and they dont just teach the theory aspect of criminology alone but they teach with a lot of practical case studies which better prepares me on how to face the criminal world in real life. na so i shut up my mouth o because seriously I had nothing more to say( I remember texrem telling me to find more reasons for this particular question but I was too lazy to)

VO:Stared typing just when I thought it was over he then said can I see you ND Transcript
ME; For my mind I say which kind wahala be this then i said " Cleveland state university did not use my ND transcript in giving me admission my WAEC result was used.

VO: Can I see it,
ME: Passed it with confidence unto say na so so distinctions dey there.

VO: Can i see your uncle's bank statement...

And then the waiting started and me praying to God to be approved. he returns my WAEC result and starts to scrutinize my bank statement and then drops it, I just thought I would be put on AP, then he says your uncle works with Google and I SAY yes. and he gives me the statement and says I will be...trust me that is the only thing I heard. i dont even know where he brought out the white paper from.

ME; Thank you and enjoy the rest of your day.
na so i dey say thank you Jesus till i got to the car park.

One thing I would like to say is that it is good to read this forum thoroughly but you might get confused at some points so guys please be careful. I read to the extent that I almost lost my mind. Thanks to texrem for calling me to order.

Deetus this transcript is dedicated to you.
Above all prayer is the koko, to me sha.

My padi Chingynas. you would get yours soon by Gods grace.

God be praised.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Time2Smile(m): 4:17am On Jan 01, 2018
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
I don't even want to imagine the stress of quals, thesis selection, long lab hours and frustration now coupled with running around for money cry cry ... lot's of public schools won't even admit if they know that those federal and state $$$ won't be enough for funding doctoral candidates. cry cry

imperiouxx:

shocked Orisirisi, someone planning to pay for a PhD program out of pocket? cheesy cheesy cheesy A STEM PhD which is government and NGO funded. He just about to cheat himself. Why cant he wait till funding becomes available next semester?

Yeah, one of the criteria for admission of PhD student in most programs is the availability of funding. The truth is STEM PhD is a full-time job and more, where is even the time or energy to run around for money?

To all prospective students reading this or will come across this in perpetuity, never ever pay for a STEM PhD out of pocket. The few that are not funded by their institutions are sponsored by NGOs or their countries. I just hope he gets funding upon arrival because the tuition for a semester can't be less than $15,000. Just imagine what he can do with that amount.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Tolulopevictor: 4:24am On Jan 01, 2018
Please guys am new here..av been following u people for a while now...
I need clarification on these please.
1..My interview is scheduled for 8th and my resumption date is 3rd,I applied for a change of appointment date but was denied..I learnt it doesn't matter..please is it true..
2..Am a graduate of chemistry but wanna start all over in nursing..though the school that admitted me only used my ssce for the admission..would I still go to the embassy with my university transcript, since it's not masters..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by omoluabiguy: 5:31am On Jan 01, 2018
Time2Smile:

Yeah, one of the criteria for admission of PhD student in most programs is the availability of funding. The truth is STEM PhD is a full-time job and more, where is even the time or energy to run around for money?

To all prospective students reading this or will come across this in perpetuity, never ever pay for a STEM PhD out of pocket. The few that are not funded by their institutions are sponsored by NGOs or their countries. I just hope he gets funding upon arrival because the tuition for a semester can't be less than $15,000. Just imagine what he can do with that amount.

Why would someone even pay for PhD when you can have your tuition waived and also be earning up to 40-45k stipends annually. That’s not wise!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by omoluabiguy: 5:33am On Jan 01, 2018
Tolulopevictor:
Please guys am new here..av been following u people for a while now...
I need clarification on these please.
1..My interview is scheduled for 8th and my resumption date is 3rd,I applied for a change of appointment date but was denied..I learnt it doesn't matter..please is it true..
2..Am a graduate of chemistry but wanna start all over in nursing..though the school that admitted me only used my ssce for the admission..would I still go to the embassy with my university transcript, since it's not masters..

Defer your admission to fall and take your time to get your story right. It’s not advisable to hit the embassy after elapsing school’s start date. But then, what do I know

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jerrypeacelinks(m): 8:38am On Jan 01, 2018
LagosismyHome:

You should not feel bad about contacting the school... Visa sometimes it out of your control so the school knows that. You won't be the first in this position and wont be the last so most schools are familiar with

If I were u i would contact the school asap and let them know so if there is any allotment for fall you can be included. Also since you gone twice maybe it best you defer till fall and come back refreshed.

Take heart... some life journies are not smooth but you get there soon . And yes always feel free to ask the school questions. Ask them about what waiver you can get in fall and if there are more offers as well

Thank you so much for your response. I really must commend your choice of words and how you compose/ package your responses. It really goes a long way to heal a crushed heart as mine. I love you for this. Keep doing what you have been doing best for us here despite your tight schedules. God bless you and your family real big. Wishing you the best in this new month and new year. Cheers.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.