Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,177 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

Antimalarial Drugs Without Any Multivitamin Syrup Or Blood Tonic. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Antimalarial Drugs Without Any Multivitamin Syrup Or Blood Tonic. (10696 Views)

COVID-19: WHO Says Madagascar's Herbal Tonic Not A Cure / The Story Of The Magical Antimalarial Chinese Medicine – Ginghaosu (Artemisinin) / Is Tomato Paste Mixed With Cocacola Or Malt A Natural Blood Tonic? (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Antimalarial Drugs Without Any Multivitamin Syrup Or Blood Tonic. by toygod2: 2:51pm On Dec 11, 2017
Hello All, and most importantly, the medical practitioners or Doctors in the building.
There is this thing I'm beginning to hear often these days and it bothers me alot, so i want to know if it's the right thing or not.
There's this particular chemist i used to buy pills, not too big and not too small but moderate and it's a bit renown, so many people also patronize this shop.
My question is, often time when people go to buy antimalarial drugs, they prescribe it to customers [and with typhoid tablets] but always say DON'T USE WITH ANY BLOOD SUPPLEMENTS OR TONIC while on the dosage shocked.
Well, on more than 2 occasions they have adviced clients not to do so in my presence.....
My main concern is not the typhoid drugs that is been prescribed alongside the antimalarial pills [that ll be a talk for another time] but advising patients not to take blood giving drugs while still on the antimalarial drug treatments. Although, they don't forbid patients using the blood pills after the completion of the malaria drugs...
So i seek to know from more learned collegue in the house, if that is right or couldn't that be dangerous, owing to the fact that, while using an antimalarial drug, there's every tendency of going dizzy, fatigue, nauseating and all that, which xterizes low blood count or RBC bn destroyed along the way, hence taking supplements.... IMO
Actually, i know it isn't adviceable you take fruits while on the drug [maybe cos of the live enzymes that could inhibit the drug, making it less effective] but I'm super - scared of these chemist attendants stopping people from using even synthetic blood pills, cos i feel this is more like a self destruction or harzadous kind of advice.
And why is it not adviceable to use blood pills on the treatment or is it adviceable to use blood supplements

Thanks as i await your various responses, which would go along way to sensitize and prevent this suicidal prescription.

Cc
Lalasticlala
Seun
Re: Antimalarial Drugs Without Any Multivitamin Syrup Or Blood Tonic. by toygod2: 5:57pm On Dec 11, 2017
Make ona pass comments na..

I dey Wait please
Re: Antimalarial Drugs Without Any Multivitamin Syrup Or Blood Tonic. by toygod2: 8:55pm On Dec 11, 2017
Make i hear una views na, biko
Re: Antimalarial Drugs Without Any Multivitamin Syrup Or Blood Tonic. by MrHenshaw: 9:39pm On Dec 11, 2017
toygod2:
Make i hear una views na, biko

Multivitamins contains vitamins,L-lysine,folic acid etc that affect mainly ACT Malaria drugs.Dats d reason it will be suggested you take it after d malaria drugs.However you can take natural fruits and drinks lots of liquid to boast your appetite for the real food,gradually your body will generate the required nutrients.
Re: Antimalarial Drugs Without Any Multivitamin Syrup Or Blood Tonic. by Lagusta(m): 12:16am On Dec 12, 2017
MrHenshaw:

Multivitamins contains vitamins,L-lysine,folic acid etc that affect mainly ACT Malaria drugs.Dats d reason it will be suggested you take it after d malaria drugs.However you can take natural fruits and drinks lots of liquid to boast your appetite for the real food,gradually your body will generate the required nutrients.

You are correct but not totally correct, because you should not even during ANYTHING that contains vitamin C and other antioxidants, especially citrus fruits and juices......

This is because antioxidants react with the enteroperoxides artesunate and artemether.... Which renders them useless...

The combination therapy with lumefantrine would be affected this way....

That's why as doctors we don't prescribe antimalarials and multivitamins....

Also, blood tonics must not be given with antibiotics, especially ciprofloxacin, as it readily binds with cations and makes both the antibiotic and iron salt useless....

Use drugs as prescribed by a doctor only, do not indulge in self medication.....

BYE BYE
Re: Antimalarial Drugs Without Any Multivitamin Syrup Or Blood Tonic. by Tellemall: 6:20am On Dec 13, 2017
Lagusta:

You are correct but not totally correct, because you should not even during ANYTHING that contains vitamin C and other antioxidants, especially citrus fruits and juices......

This is because antioxidants react with the enteroperoxides artesunate and artemether.... Which renders them useless...

The combination therapy with lumefantrine would be affected this way....

That's why as doctors we don't prescribe antimalarials and multivitamins....

Also, blood tonics must not be given with antibiotics, especially ciprofloxacin, as it readily binds with cations and makes both the antibiotic and iron salt useless....

Use drugs as prescribed by a doctor only, do not indulge in self medication.....

BYE BYE

But doctors do the multivitamin + antimalarial prescription a lot, knowing fully well that taking​ both negates the relief of the treatment plan; unless when confronted about the prescription by their patient.

It's pharmacists who bother to explain that you should take the one after the others doses are completed​, in order to avoid antagonism.
Re: Antimalarial Drugs Without Any Multivitamin Syrup Or Blood Tonic. by Lagusta(m): 11:44pm On Dec 13, 2017
Tellemall:

But doctors do the multivitamin + antimalarial prescription a lot, knowing fully well that taking​ both negates the relief of the treatment plan; unless when confronted about the prescription by their patient.

It's pharmacists who bother to explain that you should take the one after the others doses are completed​.

Yes, and I know pharmacists too that give wrong drugs to patients because they feel it's better......

There are bad docs, good pharmacists, so why are we trying to praise ourselves here

Let's all work together to educate the populace on what is right, and not to believe we are better than others....

Peace bro....
Re: Antimalarial Drugs Without Any Multivitamin Syrup Or Blood Tonic. by RemedyLab: 10:27am On Dec 14, 2017
Though it is common but not recommended to take antimalarial drugs with multivamins or blood tonic. It may affect the efficiency of such drug or resistance to antimalarial drugs.
Take blood tonic or multivitamins after treatment.
Re: Antimalarial Drugs Without Any Multivitamin Syrup Or Blood Tonic. by Timfreds(m): 12:18pm On Oct 30, 2018
This is educating indeed. many are confused on this issue.

(1) (Reply)

10 Surprising Health Benefits Of Pap(akamu,eko,ogi) / Over 20,200 Babies Born In Nigeria On New Year Day- UNICEF / WHO Endorses Use Of HIV Medicines For Prevention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.