Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,956 members, 7,828,364 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? (6798 Views)

Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) / History Of Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba People In Rivers State By Prof. Eric Amadi / Facts About Benin Origin Of Ikwerre Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? by Igboid: 12:13am On May 18, 2018
HopeAtHand:

The environment we found ourseelves and our interaction with the people there are responsible for it.

Andoni people are Ijaws but why do their language sound like Ibibio?

Andoni is only Ijaw politically.
They are actually Ibibiod people, their brothers are in Eastern Obolo LGA Akwaibom.

Andoni mixed up with Ijaws.

But they are on the majority, and Ibibiod people.

1 Like

Re: Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? by HopeAtHand: 9:34am On May 18, 2018
Igboid:

Andoni is only Ijaw politically.
They are actually Ibibiod people, their brothers are in Eastern Obolo LGA Akwaibom.

Andoni mixed up with Ijaws.

But they are on the majority, and Ibibiod people.

Im not from Andoni neither am i holding brief for them, but as a Riverian who is politically conscious, i can say that the Andoni of today claim to trace their ancestry to someplace in Bayelsa. Their progenitor left there for their current location where they have intermingled with Ibibios and now have almost lost their entire language to the Ibibio.

I'm using them as a case point to reply someone who asked why the Ikwerres have lost their Bini language and now speak Igboid language. Your environment, esp when you live within a far larger population usually superimposes itself on you.

Another case is that of the jews ( not talking here of the IPOB jews). After biblical times, the jews were dispersed allover Europe. Those that found themselves in Germany, Russia, Spain, Poland etc spoke the language of those countries, bear the same name as those nationals and fitted in seamlessly. They would have continued that way till now if not for Hitler. After the unfortunate events of WW2, they rallied themselves allover the world and went bacxk to their ancestral land, jettisoned all acquired languges and started to learn Hebrew(yid) afresh. Point is, its nothing new if Ikwerre lost her language, we arent the first. What makes us Ikwerre is ancestry not language.
Re: Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? by Igboid: 8:56pm On May 18, 2018
HopeAtHand:

Im not from Andoni neither am i holding brief for them, but as a Riverian who is politically conscious, i can say that the Andoni of today claim to trace their ancestry to someplace in Bayelsa. Their progenitor left there for their current location where they have intermingled with Ibibios and now have almost lost their entire language to the Ibibio.

I'm using them as a case point to reply someone who asked why the Ikwerres have lost their Bini language and now speak Igboid language. Your environment, esp when you live within a far larger population usually superimposes itself on you.

Another case is that of the jews ( not talking here of the IPOB jews). After biblical times, the jews were dispersed allover Europe. Those that found themselves in Germany, Russia, Spain, Poland etc spoke the language of those countries, bear the same name as those nationals and fitted in seamlessly. They would have continued that way till now if not for Hitler. After the unfortunate events of WW2, they rallied themselves allover the world and went bacxk to their ancestral land, jettisoned all acquired languges and started to learn Hebrew(yid) afresh. Point is, its nothing new if Ikwerre lost her language, we arent the first. What makes us Ikwerre is ancestry not language.

Andoni are only claiming Ijaw today for political expediency.
They are Ibibiod people, irrespective of their current twisted origin stories doctored to present an Ijaw origin.

Jews spoke their native languages irrespective of where they are found. They only spoke acquired languages as second language.

Igbos are no Jews, don't let anyone deceive you with doctored stories.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? by HopeAtHand: 10:59pm On May 18, 2018
Igboid:

Andoni are only claiming Ijaw today for political expediency.
They are Ibibiod people, irrespective of their current twisted origin stories doctored to present an Ijaw origin.

Jews spoke their native languages irrespective of where they are found. They only spoke acquired languages as second language.

Igbos are no Jews, don't let anyone deceive you with doctored stories.

Andoni people reserve the right to be whoever they want to be. Currently they have traced their ancestry to a man originating from Bayelsa. It is expected of you to accept them like that and not to engage in debates. Likewise for Ikwerres too. It is within our limits to be whatever we decide.

Saying Igbos arent jews is a no brainer. But to the IPOB radicalized elements, that alone is enough to be termed anti-Biafra. You'd have a hard time convincing them tho.. That is where i believe you have your work cut out for you. Goodluck with that.
Re: Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? by Igboid: 2:31pm On May 19, 2018
HopeAtHand:

Andoni people reserve the right to be whoever they want to be. Currently they have traced their ancestry to a man originating from Bayelsa. It is expected of you to accept them like that and not to engage in debates. Likewise for Ikwerres too. It is within our limits to be whatever we decide.

Saying Igbos arent jews is a no brainer. But to the IPOB radicalized elements, that alone is enough to be termed anti-Biafra. You'd have a hard time convincing them tho.. That is where i believe you have your work cut out for you. Goodluck with that.

I'm not under any obligation to accept any ridiculous origin stories.
I reserve the right and to accept or dispute them, if they don't sound plausible.
The people reserve the right to doctor their stories, while I reserve the right to question the stories.

6 Likes

Re: Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:09am On May 20, 2018
I'm just going to hop in here real quick as nye Ngwa. It's just dishonest for Ikwerre to be saying Akalaka and Benin up and down. C'mon now. Your Ngwa cousins are here looking at you sideways for that nonsense.

We know that there were at least three major migratory elements in Ikwerre history; Ochichi, Akalaka, and Wezina. All these attempts to divorce Ikwerre from the "Igbo" label has you all trying to merge the different migratory stories into something new, and claiming a single migratory history that was never claimed a century ago.

But I guess it makes sense. Iwhnerneohna is undisputedly acknowledged as the progenitor of nde Ikwerre. To legitimize anything new would mean to win over the narrative on Iwhnerneohna. *shrug* Still, naa...

5 Likes

Re: Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? by dreamwords: 7:49am On May 20, 2018
HopeAtHand:

If you can explain to a clearly discernable degree, maybe, just maybe, I can agree with you.

First, allow me to remind you that Ikwerres being distinct from Igbos is a matter of ancestry and not because of divergence in language or culture.

Granted, Ikwerre and Igbo have some shared words and also share some customs but that alone shouldn't be the reason to arrive at your conclusion.

Mr. Ikengawo, i believe you believe you are the son of your father and your father's father's. You should have your genealogy, even if not documented, atleast the oral version. If you migrate to Sokoto and birth your kids there, after even 10 generations, they Shud still be able to identify themselves as Igbos. So if Hausas try to claim them as theirs, they can point their ancestry as the reason why they can be hausas.

Now for the record, IKWERRES are descendants of IWHRONHA, the son of Akalaka, a prince in Benin during the dynasty of Oba Ewuare.
Ikwere is a type of so many diverse Igbo dialect
We know our dialect when we hear it. There are many igbo dialect from different igbo groups/sub group.
It might not be fully intelligible to another igbo person from a different part Igbo land. I understand ikwere more than nsukka language from Enugu.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? by emmysoftyou: 11:36pm On May 29, 2018
HopeAtHand:

you don't have to compared the jews and ikwerre. The jews re scattered all over the world but still maintain their indigenous language called Hebrew. The ikwerre tribes is only affected ignorantly and due to fear from igbo people hence their doctored stories here and there. I still don't Get it, if the founder of ikwerre tribes from Benin came to ikwerre land without a woman then definitely he met some people in ikwerre land before he settled down there with a woman?
Moreover,Mr igboid is right concerning the igbos and the jews, I am an igbo man and I can categorically tell you that we're not jews from Israel cos I'm a proud African igbo man.
Before the arrival Eri in igboland, the igbo people already exists likewise akalaka and others who claims to be the founder of whatever tribes.
Bro,
it's time to embrace the shadows that follow you up and down than running around looking for a hidden place to hide your shadow and the indelible marks keep reappearing over and over again.

Igbo amaka..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? by Afam4eva(m): 7:03am On May 30, 2018
HopeAtHand:

Nwanne, i think we can just leave the argument at "Ikwerres are not Igbos". It's a ridicule to constantly lay claim to this benin ancestry by claiming that Ikwerres lost their language and that what they speak presently were all borrowed, even the culture too? Commooooon. You even had to use Andoni to explain how a tribe can lose their language. It may also interest you to note that what Andoni identifies as depends on who you speak with. I was in PH in November and question an Andoni driver who drove us around and when i suggested that they were Ijaw, he rejected it. He even claimed that their were some Igbo elements in Andoni which you are not even talking about. Not to talk of the Ibibio link. You live in Port-hacourt, just ask an Andoni person to get first hand information.

6 Likes

Re: Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? by aribisala0(m): 10:59am On Jun 22, 2018
ChinenyeN:
I'm just going to hop in here real quick as nye Ngwa. It's just dishonest for Ikwerre to be saying Akalaka and Benin up and down. C'mon now. Your Ngwa cousins are here looking at you sideways for that nonsense.

We know that there were at least three major migratory elements in Ikwerre history; Ochichi, Akalaka, and Wezina. All these attempts to divorce Ikwerre from the "Igbo" label has you all trying to merge the different migratory stories into something new, and claiming a single migratory history that was never claimed a century ago.

But I guess it makes sense. Iwhnerneohna is undisputedly acknowledged as the progenitor of nde Ikwerre. To legitimize anything new would mean to win over the narrative on Iwhnerneohna. *shrug* Still, naa...

Do you have any shred of evidence for your factual claims or is it the usual pontifiation based on your visceral preferences?
Re: Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? by Fejoku: 6:23am On Jan 21, 2023
HopeAtHand:

The environment we found ourseelves and our interaction with the people there are responsible for it.

Andoni people are Ijaws but why do their language sound like Ibibio?
Andoni people are not Ijaws and were never Ijaws. Their language and names tell you their origin.
Ijaw migratory history is from West to the East while Andoni migratory history is from East to West. A whole research about Andoni ancestry has been done since around 1980s by an Andoni man and the facts he presented where very much convincing than any other person.
The closest language to Andoni is the Ekoi language and not Ibibio- their next door neighbours. Despite their proximity to the few Ijaw clans, Ijaw words that entered their lexicon are fewer compared to Ibibio.
Re: Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? by Fejoku: 6:26am On Jan 21, 2023
Afam4eva:

Nwanne, i think we can just leave the argument at "Ikwerres are not Igbos". It's a ridicule to constantly lay claim to this benin ancestry by claiming that Ikwerres lost their language and that what they speak presently were all borrowed, even the culture too? Commooooon. You even had to use Andoni to explain how a tribe can lose their language. It may also interest you to note that what Andoni identifies as depends on who you speak with. I was in PH in November and question an Andoni driver who drove us around and when i suggested that they were Ijaw, he rejected it. He even claimed that their were some Igbo elements in Andoni which you are not even talking about. Not to talk of the Ibibio link. You live in Port-hacourt, just ask an Andoni person to get first hand information.
Andoni indeed does have Igbo element in their history. They are mostly related to the Ekoi though than even Ibibio.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Is The Best For Any One To Marry / Nigerian Women Vs Somali Women In History / Somali Vs Ethiopian Female Pilots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.