Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:36 AM

21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan (20132 Views)

Governor Has Power To Dethrone Traditional Ruler – Buhari’s Aide, Tolu Ogunlesi / Political Leaders Must Initiate The Process To Dethrone Oba Iwo / 21 New Ibadan Kings Threaten To Dethrone Olubadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan by zoedew: 12:49pm On Dec 12, 2017
thesicilian:
First question: Why should there be 21 Kings in one city?

Answer is, the same reason you have 36 State Governors in Nigeria.
Re: 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan by aftatechbiz(m): 1:33pm On Dec 12, 2017
My question is "how can you be called a king and chief at the same time"? Their spokeman was in line of becoming an ibadan king and he is a king in the same ibadan and a chief as well. the whole thing is confusing jarey.
Re: 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan by omoelerin1: 2:15pm On Dec 12, 2017
adecz:

All these traditional institutions
are archaic, outdated & unnecessary.

They constitute a source of strife, superstition, waste
of resources, used by ruling govts to oppress the
governed & contribute nothing to
human progress in this modern age.

At a certain point in our historical march,
they were useful rallying points for ethnic,
geopolitical & regional cohesion.

However, those dark lives & times have
passed & to my mind, these monarchical
dinosaurs should be abolished & consigned
to the dustbins of history where the rightfully belong.

Many advanced countries do not subscribe
to such bullshit eg USA, China, Russia, France,
Germany & co.

For countries that still observe, such as Britain,
the public are tired & clamouring for
abolishment even though their monarchy
contributes to their progress & national devt.

Here in this Nigeria, apart from living
lavishly (at the expense of the common man) &
keeping uncountable wives & concubines,
what do they contribute to our society??

NOTHING!!! angry

Well said, in the fact that they have become agents of conflicts, confusion, corruption and economic parasites courtesy of the politicians.

All the same I don't agree with you totally that they should be dismantled and consigned into dustbin of history.
You can't compare US With most other states of the world. US is a new state. Despite various eventful revolution in Europe, almost all European States still preserve their traditional monarchical system, except France. Up till today, Britain still cherish its monarch.

I think all these problems were created by politicians Who use traditional institution as a political tool, the same way religion is being used. Shebi you see how some people advocate that traditional institution should be put in our constitution. This would have been one of the biggest political confusion we ever created for ourselves.

If our traditional system is rot, it is reflection of the rot in our society all together. Our modern govt and democracy is rot. Every other institution is rot as well. Even our religious institutions are not perfect.

Colonialists preserved and respected our traditional system, though for their own interest.
Traditional institution in Nigeria started to be rubbished during military era. Different military regime, being aware that their regime are illegal, used them to gain the mandate and confidence of the people. It became worst when politicians came on board. Till today, traditional and religious institutions are being used for political nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan by Dhugal: 3:25pm On Dec 12, 2017
aftatechbiz:
My question is "how can you be called a king and chief at the same time"? Their spokeman was in line of becoming an ibadan king and he is a king in the same ibadan and a chief as well. the whole thing is confusing jarey.
The Otun Olubadan and the Balogun have always been second-class kings,right from the days of the elevation of Baale Ibadan to first-class Olubadan.The two sit at the head of the two succession lines.
Ajimobi only formalized it more,by giving them the Oba titles. I wonder why some other members of Olubadan-in-Council were included though.The Council members weren't this rebellious under Obas Odugade and Arapasowu,makes one wonder if the allegations against the current Oba has some truth in them.
Oba Lekan Balogun is the next in line to succeed to the Olubadan throne.
Re: 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan by abelokanlawon: 4:02pm On Dec 12, 2017
Lols
Jlow2:
so that every street will have der omo nile and owo da
Re: 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan by godofuck231: 4:58pm On Dec 12, 2017
ijustdey:

http://punchng.com/ibadan-kings-issue-deposition-notice-to-olubadan/

How many kings are there in a Kingdom and how many kingdoms make an empire, something is wrong, they are chives is king makers then
Re: 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan by SmallmebigGod: 12:10am On Dec 13, 2017
Yusuf54:
And who is the Bastard U r referring to? Senseless He Goat that dont know to make a reasonable comment

Just to answer your question. It appears u are the bastard, cos I believe you were trained with good values.
I didn't mentioned a name, just paraphrased a Yoruba proverb in English and if you have delusion of reference , please deal with that without coming online to pour ur madness here
Re: 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan by Nobody: 8:48pm On Dec 17, 2017
Good question, the answer is that some fellow are confused.
I believe that before the british invaded the Benin Kingdom, only one man held the title Oba and that was Omo n'Oba n'Edo.
But some years after the death of Oba Ovonramwen, all yoruba titled men added the word Oba to their title. I hope it was meant to pay hommage to Oba Ovonramwen and not meant to impersonate him.
Now every village head believes he is a king and his village is a kingdom.
In the case of the ijaw it is even worse since the latter just create "kingdoms" out of thin air.
Is everybody aware that the nigerian and international systems recognize people within nigeria as kings only if they inherited a pre-colonial kingdom ? How can ibadan have 18 kings ? does it make any sense ? If we continu this way then soon every home owner will be calling himself king and his house would be his kingdom.
This madness has to stop.

godofuck231:
How many kings are there in a Kingdom and how many kingdoms make an empire, something is wrong, they are chives is king makers then

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 17, 2017
Correct question.
The fact is that some years after the death of Oba Ovonramwen, all yoruba titled men started calling themselves Oba.
Village heads started refferring to themselves as kings overnight.
Now they are so confused that they think every village is a kingdom.
Soon every home owner in the south-west will be calling himself king and every house in the south-west will be a kingdom.

thesicilian:
First question: Why should there be 21 Kings in one city?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan by Nobody: 9:13pm On Dec 17, 2017
soon every house in the south-west will have its own king.
Jlow2:
so that every street will have der omo nile and owo da

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 17, 2017
so now villages are "kingdoms" ?
So your smallest title is "king" ?
What is clear to every eye is that you guys are messing with your history and mere village heads in the south west are now calling themselves king.
Soon every familly head in the south-west will also be calling himself king.
Now you want ot refer to the king of a small kingdom as "emperor" and call village heads "king".
Jeez, you guys are turning african traditional institutions into a big joke and the rest of the world is mocking us.

veraponpo:

Why are there many Kings in Ile Ife, Oyo, etc?

I schooled at Ile Ife, there is Obalufon, there is king at Ipetu, there is a king at Modakeke, etc while Oonirisa is the Imperial Majesty over all of them. This is what is done at Oyo Ile as well.

Ile ife as well as Oyo town, is just like one-fifth of Ibadan in terms of size, so it is not out of place to have many junior kings. It is a way of conflict resolution.

Read more on decentralisation and you will discover that one of its advantages is to resolve conflicts. It wont allow anybody to feel irrelivant.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 17, 2017
They are not "obas". They just fake obas.
There is only one real Oba. Guess who he is.
bfmconcepts:
Why is the political class trying to cause commotion among the traditional rulers?
I understand that powers of some of these Obas needs to be reduced, but we have to do it systematically
Ajimobi should take caution.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 17, 2017
you mean that "back then" every village was a kingdom.
It makes no sense. I wouldn't even ask you for dates and proofs because it makes no sense.
You want to tell me that there was no sub state in a state ? Were the yoruba cavemen living in clans ?
I don't think so.
free2ryhme:

Becos back then their kingdom were city states

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan by SicilianMafia: 9:51pm On Dec 17, 2017
grin grin grin grin Fake

Touts parading as Obas

Theres only one oba jaare and e dey Benin

2 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill / Photos From Adeleke University Convocation As King Of Ede Bags Doctorate Degree / Oba Adekunle Baderin Of Ipetu-ijesha Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.