Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,487 members, 7,819,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft (1958 Views)

BBC Calls Winners Chapel "Witchcraft Church" / Alert: Satan Has Poured Out Spirit Of Witchcraft, Heavily. Step Up Your Prayer / EFF Accuse Zuma Of Witchcraft After Two Mermaids Where Found In Nkandla’s “fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by mamagee3(f): 2:36am On Apr 01, 2010
BEIRUT — A Lebanese man sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia on charges of witchcraft is due to be beheaded this week, his lawyer said on Wednesday, urging officials and rights groups to intervene on his behalf.

"Last night we got news through unofficial channels that Ali Sabat would be beheaded within 48 hours," May el-Khansa, Sabat's attorney in Beirut, told AFP.

"I have since been contacting Lebanese officials, including President Michel Sleiman and Lebanon's ambassador to Saudi Arabia to appeal his case."

Sabat was sentenced to death in November of last year by a Saudi court for practicing witchcraft.

He was arrested in May 2008 by the religious police in Medina, where he was on a pilgrimage before returning to his native Lebanon.

The case against him was brought after he gave advice and made predictions on Lebanese television.

Khansa said Lebanon's ambassador to Saudi Arabia was in contact with Sabat and someone from the embassy had visited him on Wednesday in his jail cell.

"It is very important that we save the life of this one person," she said. "He is not a criminal."

She added that Sabat's family was in shock and that his mother was seriously ill with doctors saying she could die anytime.

Amnesty International meanwhile joined the fray of rights groups who have expressed concern about Sabat's case.

"Ali Hussain Sabat appears to have been convicted solely for the peaceful exercise of his right to freedom of expression," Malcolm Smart, head of Amnesty's Middle East and North Africa programme, said in a press release.

"It is high time the Saudi Arabian government joined the international trend towards a worldwide moratorium on executions," Smart said, urging Lebanese authorities and Saudi King Abdullah to stop the execution.

Saudi Arabia has no clear legal definition on the charge of witchcraft and judges are given discretionary power in determining what constitutes a crime and what sentence to impose.

In November 2007, Mustafa Ibrahim, an Egyptian working as a pharmacist in Saudi Arabia was beheaded after he was found guilty of sorcery.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gNuDPMwRKUEsx1lK5aP5gKRzl22Q
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by sulad82i(m): 2:43am On Apr 01, 2010
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed I no fit shout
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by tayoast(m): 3:00am On Apr 01, 2010
ehh yahhh

instead of them 2 try reforming her, she's being condemned
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry cry
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by Smi1(m): 4:21am On Apr 01, 2010
What are the human rights stlill waiting for ?? Wait a minute,  i'm shock !! What the FuQ is wrong with this people is saudi arabia not a democratic nation, someone should  enlighten me if am wrong, please  angry undecided
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by jagunlabi(m): 8:35am On Apr 01, 2010
S@mi:

What are the human rights stlill waiting for ?? Wait a minute,  i'm shock !! What the FuQ is wrong with this people is saudi arabia not a democratic nation, someone should  enlighten me if am wrong, please  angry undecided
Saudi Arabia is a theocracy, not a democracy.
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by mamagee3(f): 3:45pm On Apr 01, 2010
tayo_ast:

ehh yahhh

instead of them 2 try reforming her, she's being condemned
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry cry

It's a man not a woman, lol.[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by tayoast(m): 7:52pm On Apr 01, 2010
mama-gee:

It's a man not a woman, lol.[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]

OMG, i tot he's a woman.

but wat's d difference? a man's being killed here
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by Nobody: 9:14pm On Apr 01, 2010
Saudi Arabia again?? crazy people. I wonder where they got that idea from.
Wait a minute I know, From the Koran,

"You shall not let a sorceress live." (Exodus 22:18)
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by mazaje(m): 9:29pm On Apr 01, 2010
The crazy slaves of allah and their insatiable hunger for bloodshed. Deluded F.O.O.L.S. . . . . .
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by Nobody: 9:42pm On Apr 01, 2010
Ogaga stop witchcrafting before u get beheaded
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by Nobody: 9:56pm On Apr 01, 2010
AIRDIG:

Saudi Arabia again?? crazy people. I wonder where they got that idea from.
Wait a minute I know, From the Koran,

mazaje:

The crazy slaves of allah and their insatiable hunger for bloodshed. Deluded F.O.O.L.S. . . . . .

Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by Nobody: 8:03am On Apr 02, 2010
mazaje:

mohammad the criminal prophet lived by the sword all his life&did more havoc in saudi.Hes just being emulated
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by Nobody: 3:34pm On Apr 02, 2010
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by toneyb: 10:31am On Apr 03, 2010
AIRDIG:

grin grin
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by benodic: 12:56pm On Apr 03, 2010
truthfully reading such things in the news, in this modern times, if i were a muslim i will hang my head in shame or i will leave the religion outright.

where is the love and compassion a religion should be teaching and portraying.

may God save us all from man's inhumanity to man in the name of Religion.
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by MyJoe: 6:58pm On Apr 03, 2010
jagunlabi:

Saudi Arabia is a theocracy, not a democracy.
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is not a theocracy but a monarchy. Although it is an Islamic state like Pakistan, Iran and some other countries around there, it is not a theocracy like Iran. While Iran is ruled by clerics, KSA is ruled by the House of Saud, that is, the sons and grandsons of the first king, Abd Al Aziz Al Saud, who are not necessarily mullahs or imams.
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by Zodiac61(m): 7:16pm On Apr 03, 2010
Why all the howls of shock and surprise from christians? Is there not a passage in the bible about not allowing witches to live?
For those christians who have forgotten (or most likely never read it) it is Exodus 22.18 "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by nopuqeater: 7:58pm On Apr 03, 2010
@Benodic: « #14 on: Today at 12:56:26 PM »
truthfully reading such things in the news, in this modern times, if i were a muslim i will hang my head in shame or i will leave the religion outright.
There is no reason for a muslm to hang head in shame. there is no reason for a true believer to leave a pue and perfect way to worship God, seek His Mercy.

[quot]where is the love and compassion a religion should be teaching and portraying.
[/quote]God loves by His Mercy, and He hates through His Justice, the reonyou have hell for the unbelievers.

[quote]may God save us all from man's inhumanity to man in the name of Religion.
Even you, in your denial of God Authorty over you, you have those who do deeds so vile that you ant be unemotional about it. My disagreement with the saudi is that while they say they are sharia country, their rulers are much so enmy of Islam than theopen enemies we in Islam know. The man is not a citizen of their country, only observing his right of hajj or Umra, which as a muslim is permissable. They have no right to judge him, or at least they should have told his home country that he will be in danger if he arrives, when his application was being processed. A person goes to Hajj or Umra to seekforgivness. maybe he left sorcery his reaon for arriving for his religious right in the first place.

i bet they cant do tha to an american, because they will be tongue whipped, the hypocrites they are, closet enemy of Isam.
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by jesus3: 8:05pm On Apr 03, 2010
Im sure some ignorant muslims will give justification to this.Mohammad did more havoc than this one.Only God knows how many pple were beheaded in over 65 battles that he lf.Including the one in the unholy month of ramadan.
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by Zodiac61(m): 10:34pm On Apr 03, 2010
jesus.:

Im sure some ignorant muslims will give justification to this.Mohammad did more havoc than this one.Only God knows how many pple were beheaded in over 65 battles that he lf.Including the one in the unholy month of ramadan.
I am sure that some ignorant christians will see this as justification for their belief that islam is a religion of violence and hatred. Take the log out of your eyes and see the light. Christianity is responsible for many atrocities over its history. That it is now relatively benign now is in spite of the bible not because of it. If they think that god askes them to do so, many christians will kill.
The reality is that religion kills. What about the children who are killed and maimed for being 'witches', in the name of god? What about those christians who kill doctors because they perform abortions in the US? What about Jos -christians killing muslims and vice versa?
Both christianity and islam are violent religions that have been spread by the sword.
There is no need to claim any sort of moral superiority here.
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by Nobody: 10:42pm On Apr 03, 2010
@jesus, Benodic, Mazaje, Toba (contemplate on d post above + you can still pass your view across with decorum & civility)

By the way, could you kindly explain the meaning of (Exodus 22.18) "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live[/color]." in the light of what's happening in Saudi & the Christian's witch hunting (from Pope Gregory up till Pope Clement IV authorizing "inquisition", "witchhunting" & "burning at the stake" from 1207 up to 1830 +  the recent evangelical christian's child witch hunt in Akwa ibom, Nigeria)

SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT.
My post so far is not to support the Saudi. Saudi does not equal Islam. I only repudiate what i discerned to be "climbing over ones fault to see that of others", and as the saying goes "remove the log from your eyes before you remove the stick from others"

By the way, Quran does not stipulate death penalty for sorcery, neither was it advocated by Prophet Muhammad. Beside, I wonder on what ground they are prosecuting a Lebanese citizen who is only visiting Saudi on Pilgrimage (for a programme ran on Lebanese TV) + what kinda man do sorcery openly then head for a country where they behead Sorcerer??

The Quran position on Sorcery is lucid, it stated that those who practice sorcery(e.g magic, talisman, charm & amulet) will not prosper in this life nor in d hereafter: Quran 20:69, Quran 2:102, Quran 113:1–5, Qur'an 72:6
Though sorcery is a sin in Islam & d practice is explicitly forbidden but it does not carry death penalty. Does it?
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by benodic: 11:10pm On Apr 03, 2010
all that has been said goes to butress the point i have been trying to put across in NL.

people should learn how to go beyond written words and find God within themselves then and only then will all these misinterpretations and killings in the name of God and Religion will stop.

if  as nopuqeater puts it that the saudis are enemies of islam why then are muslims still going there for pilgrimage.

you have to realise that a religion will be judged by the behaviour of its members. there  are no excuses.

if at any point in my life i get instructions from my religion to start killing my fellow souls because they are not members of my religion then it is time to leave It. one should not sacrifice his common sense on the altar of religion.
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by Nobody: 11:20pm On Apr 03, 2010
AIRDIG:

(Exodus 22.18) "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live[/color]." in the light of Christians' witch hunting (from Pope Gregory up till Pope Clement IV authorizing "inquisition", "witchhunting" & "burning at the stake" from 1207 up to 1830 + the recent evangelical christian's child witch hunt in Akwa ibom, Nigeria

@benodic
If you are a man of honour, then judge christianity by the above. And after you are done reading Exodus 22.18, go ahead & do as you promise (I mean leaving your religion, will ya?).
People are waiting & watching
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by jesus3: 11:27pm On Apr 03, 2010
AIRDIG:

@benodic
If you are a man of honour, then judge christianity by the above. Go ahead & do it
In these modern days how many of such barbaricities have been practised in christendom?
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by Nobody: 11:31pm On Apr 03, 2010
jesus.:

In these modern days how many of such barbaricities have been practised in christendom?
kindly define what time period you are referring to as modern day?

Pls, read my post again,
AIRDIG:

@jesus, Benodic, Mazaje, Toba (contemplate on d post above + you can still pass your view across with decorum & civility)

By the way, could you kindly explain the meaning of (Exodus 22.18) "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live[/color]." in the light of what's happening in Saudi & the Christian's witch hunting (from Pope Gregory up till Pope Clement IV authorizing "inquisition", "witchhunting" & "burning at the stake" from 1207 up to 1830the recent evangelical christian's child witch hunt in Akwa ibom, Nigeria)
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by jesus3: 11:37pm On Apr 03, 2010
AIRDIG:

kindly define what time period you are referring to as modern day?

Pls, read my post again,
In our present era of facebooking,yahoo,windows 98-windows7.
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by Zodiac61(m): 11:43pm On Apr 03, 2010
jesus.:

This is a dishonest attempt to avoid the question.
AIRDIG has asked a legitimate question, answer it or forever be quiet.
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by jesus3: 11:52pm On Apr 03, 2010
Zodiac61:

This is a dishonest attempt to avoid the question.
AIRDIG has asked a legitimate question, answer it or forever be quiet.
how does my response after the atheist?
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by Nobody: 12:06am On Apr 04, 2010
@JESUS
you can do better than that.
Anyway, i will once again help you with the question.
AIRDIG:

By the way, could you kindly explain the meaning of (Exodus 22.18) "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live[/color]." in the light of what's happening in Saudi & the Christian's witch hunting (from Pope Gregory up till Pope Clement IV authorizing "inquisition", "witchhunting" & "burning at the stake" from 1207 up to 1830 +  the recent evangelical christian's child witch hunt in Akwa ibom, Nigeria ([b]200[/b]cool)

or are you referencing your biblical era "of facebooking,yahoo,windows 98-windows7" post 2008?
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by AdeRex: 1:32am On Apr 04, 2010
mama-gee:

BEIRUT — A Lebanese man sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia on charges of witchcraft is due to be beheaded this week, his lawyer said on Wednesday, urging officials and rights groups to intervene on his behalf.

In November 2007, Mustafa Ibrahim, an Egyptian working as a pharmacist in Saudi Arabia was beheaded after he was found guilty of sorcery.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gNuDPMwRKUEsx1lK5aP5gKRzl22Q

This man should be dropped in a dungeon and left to rot for stupidity. First, you publicly announce that you are a sorcerer; and then you head to Saudi Arabia, where sorcery is punishable by death. You are in a position to know how crude and barbaric they are in Saudi Arabia; yet you think that you have the right to travel there and mock their system.

Beheading this fool is actually doing him a favor. The best thing for him is to be dropped into a dungeon and left to rot.
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by jesus3: 7:17am On Apr 04, 2010
AIRDIG i will never deny Exodus 22.But u must know is this.U mentioned christianity in ur post,which only came into being after christ.A fine gentle,easy going&humble man.He laid a precedence for those that would be called with his name christ -ian in mark 12vs30-32.Never abolished old laws,but charged pple to see things the way of love.If any christian is found to behead,h/she does so under hs/hr own will,not sanctioned by christ for christ-ian
Re: Saudi To Behead Lebanese Convicted Of Witchcraft by Zodiac61(m): 10:14am On Apr 04, 2010
@ jesus
jesus.:

AIRDIG i will never deny Exodus 22.But u must know is this.U mentioned christianity in your post,which only came into being after christ.A fine gentle,easy going&humble man.He laid a precedence for those that would be called with his name christ -ian in mark 12vs30-32.Never abolished old laws,but charged pple to see things the way of love.If any christian is found to behead,h/she does so under hs/hr own will,not sanctioned by christ for christ-ian
Is the old testament still valid? If yes, why is Exodus 22.18 no longer valid? You are right, Jesus said in Matthew 5.17 -19 that he did not come to change the law.
My question to you is therefore this - Do you believe that witches should be allowed to live? If yes, what is your biblical justification?

(1) (2) (Reply)

LADIES, The Reason God Gave You Beauty And A Good Body Is To Win Souls. / Does Satan & His Demons Possess The Power To Read Minds Like God? / Deeper Life View On Make Up And Jewelry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.