Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Who Knew? 15 Interesting Facts You Never Knew About Turkey - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who Knew? 15 Interesting Facts You Never Knew About Turkey (1096 Views)

15 Interesting Facts About Norway That You Will Be Amazed To Know / Please Does Anyone Know Much About Turkey? / Enlight Me More About Turkey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Knew? 15 Interesting Facts You Never Knew About Turkey by iresidency(m): 11:24am On Dec 15, 2017
1- One – Batman is a city in Turkey

2- Santa Claus was born in Turkey! (he was called Saint Nicholas back then). Saint Nicholas of Myra is the primary inspiration for the Christian figure of Sinterklaas. He was a 4th century Greek Christian bishop of Myra in Lycia, a province of the Byzantine Anatolia, now in Turkey. Nicholas was famous for his generous gifts to the poor.

3- Sabiha Gökçen was the world’s first female fighter pilot and the first Turkish female combat pilot.

4- After London, Turkey has the second-oldest underground railway in the world – the Istanbul Tünel

5- TheTurkish alphabet is missing X and Q, but makes up for it with extra letters like the dotless i: “ı”

6- Hezârfen Ahmed Çelebi was a legendary Ottoman aviator of 17th-century Constantinople (present day Istanbul), purported in the writings of traveller Evliya Çelebi to have achieved sustained unpowered flight.

7- There is a street in Istanbul that is literally called ‘Tercüman Çıkmazı’ – ‘Translator’s Dead End’

8- Turkey is home to Mount Ararat, where Noah’s Ark supposedly came to rest.

9- Two of the world’s seven wonders, the Temple of Artemis and the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, were built in Turkey.

10- Istanbul is the only city in the world built on two different continents.

11- Turkey is the birthplace of all these popular historical figures: the biblical Abraham, the poet Homer, St. Paul the Apostle, the storyteller Aesop, and the father of history, Herodotus

12- Cherries were introduced to the world from Turkey

13- It was in 640 BC when coins made of electrum were utilized for the first time in history, namely by King Croesus in Sardis, Turkey.

14- The Trojan War took place in Turkey. A wooden statue of the Trojan Horse sits on the site today

15- Tulips were introduced to the world from Turkey

Which is most surprising to you? Since it's Christmas, mine is #2. What's yours?

Re: Who Knew? 15 Interesting Facts You Never Knew About Turkey by lonlytroy(m): 11:17pm On Dec 15, 2017
I heard turkey visa is so hard to get these days
Re: Who Knew? 15 Interesting Facts You Never Knew About Turkey by iresidency(m): 4:26pm On Dec 28, 2017
lonlytroy:
I heard turkey visa is so hard to get these days

Could be, depending on how you go about it that is

(1) (Reply)

How To Rent A Car For Your Trip To Austin, TX / 10 Best Countries To Raise A Family In The World / Traveling Into Nigeria With Expired Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.