Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,691 members, 7,955,604 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:34 AM

Reasons Why You Should NOT Eat Breakfast - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Reasons Why You Should NOT Eat Breakfast (720 Views)

Do Not Eat Breakfast! Breakfast Is Scam - Nigerian Fitness Enthusiast / Ten Reasons Why You Should Always Eat Breakfast / This Is Why You Should Not Eat Snakes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reasons Why You Should NOT Eat Breakfast by Nobody: 4:25pm On Dec 16, 2017

7 Reasons Why You Should NOT Eat Breakfast
Last updated: June 2, 2015 by Mehdi
I used to wake up, drink coffee and eat nothing until noon. I had nausea’s from having breakfast so I skipped it until I was about 14.

But this changed when I began going to school by bike. I always got sick cycling on an empty stomach: cold sweat broke out by the time I arrived at school and I threw up my coffee several times.

I thought skipping breakfast was the cause because everybody told me I should eat breakfast, it’s healthier. So I started to eat like an animal on waking up. And indeed: I no longer got sick when I went by bike to school.

15 years later, I’ve trained on an empty stomach many times without problems. I no longer get sick from training in a fasted state, although I train at higher intensities than I did at age 14. What happened?

I now believe my bad eating habits and being out of shape as a teenager were the causes. Because it turns out eating on waking up is not healthier. Here are 7 reasons why you should not have breakfast.

1. Breakfast Doesn’t Increase Your Metabolism. Studies show that fasting or less frequent meals don’t decrease your metabolism. And eating every 3 hours, including breakfast, doesn’t increase your metabolism neither.

People promoting Intermittent Fasting...have shown the opposite is true: your metabolic rate increases slightly when you fast.

2. Breakfast Doesn’t Stop Muscle Breakdown. Starvation mode is a myth: you won’t lose muscle if you don’t eat every 3 hours “” like when sleeping “” and as long as you do regular exercise.

Your muscles also don’t need protein every 3 hours...

3. Breakfast Doesn’t Manage Blood Sugar Well. The common advice is to have breakfast to raise your blood sugar and control your insulin levels. Insulin is key for muscle growth but is also responsible for fat storage.

Fasting reduces your insulin levels and increases insulin sensitivity dramatically more than eating small frequent meals do. People with diabetes have reported they managed their blood sugar better using Intermittent Fasting.

4. Breakfast Increases Hunger. Many people “” including me “” feel hungrier during the day after eating breakfast. This could be a benefit or a drawback, depending on whether you want to gain weight or lose fat.

Great for Weight Gain. If you’re a skinny guy who struggles to eat a lot, eating breakfast will make it easier to reach your caloric needs.
Not So Great for Fat Loss. Especially since more frequent meals don’t increase your metabolism. You’ll have to control your food choice, like starchy carb intake, to avoid fat gains. Follow the...nutrition rules.

5. Breakfast Is Not Healthier. People who don’t eat breakfast are usually the ones who don’t exercise and who grab a donut on their way to work, eat junk food at noon and a big dinner in front of the TV.

Breakfast doesn’t benefit your health directly, but helps building healthy eating habits. Studies claiming that breakfast is healthy are correlational.

* Breakfast does not manage blood sugar well.
* Breakfast does not increase your metabolism.
* Breakfast does not prevent muscle breakdown.
* Breakfast makes you hungrier the rest of the day.

6. Breakfast Impairs Concentration. Studies show fasting for 48 hours doesn’t impact cognitive tests negatively. You don’t need breakfast for mental alertness.

A lot of people, especially students, skip breakfast because they know they’ll be more productive, concentrated and motivated during the rest of the day as a result. I’ve experienced the same thing.

7. Breakfast Is Unnatural. Our ancestors probably didn’t eat large breakfasts: they’d have to hunt it first (unless we’re talking left-overs). Hunter-gather meal patterns with large dinners and little during the day seem more natural.

This could be why many people’s instinct is to skip breakfast. Some say cereal companies pushed the idea that breakfast is healthy for their own benefits...

Now that breakfast is NOT recommended, then what? Consider Drinking a glass of water in the morning and or eating fresh fruits.
See another article below:

10 Reasons Eating Fruit for Breakfast Can Completely Transform Your Health

Waking up to half a watermelon drizzled with lime juice is one of the best ways to start your morning. Eating fruit for breakfast will not only make you think clearer, it will help you lose weight and stimulate the digestive tract to energize the body.

Eating a clean and light breakfast in the morning is a great way to transition the body from a fasting state to an eating state. Studies have found that consuming a heavy breakfast inhibits fat oxidation throughout the day – these heavy meals often include animal products like eggs and bacon or sausages.

A protein-heavy breakfast like eggs, bacon and toast will sit like a brick in your stomach and give you feelings of fatigue for the rest of the day. Switch your animal protein-based breakfasts for fruit, and you’ll notice immediate health improvements after just one week.

So here are 10 reasons why you should start eating fruit for breakfast:
1. Enhance The Detoxification Phase
Between 7 and 11am, the body is going through the heaviest phase of detoxification. Eating fruit will help contribute healing energy to this detoxification process, instead of hamper it by filling your body with anti-detox foods like fatty animal products that are hard to digest.

2. Perfect Way To Break Your Fast
Fruit is the best way to help “break the fast” as it is easy to digest and wakes up the metabolism with a steady influx of natural fruit sugars (all without the harsh adrenal-killing coffees and fatty meals).

3. Stimulate The Digestive Tract
Eating fruit for breakfast infuses the body with beneficial enzymes, fibre and prebiotics that help stimulate digestive juices in the stomach and push out old waste matter from the day before. Fruit fibre cleans the colon like a broom, leaving you feeling light and refreshed.

4. Wake Up The Body
Natural fruit sugars are just the thing the body needs upon waking up. Instead of reaching for your coffee, trying making a coffee replacement smoothie that will help keep the brain sharp and energized. Remember, the brain runs off glucose, so if you want to stay focused throughout the day, then eat a nice big water-dense fruit meal for breakfast!

5. Lose Weight
Fruit provides the body with quality nutrition and also helps release excess toxins by pushing out old waste matter from the intestines. Eating plenty of fruit in the morning (and throughout the rest of the day) gets rid of excess toxicity and waste storage, which ultimately leads to weight loss in the end. Most people think that if they eat a heavy animal-protein rich meal in the morning that they will eat less later in the day – but this, in fact, has not been found to be true. People who consume a heavy meal in the morning also tend to eat heavier later in the day too, which contribute to inevitable weight gain.

6. Boost The Immune System
A smoothie for breakfast compared to bacon and eggs is a lot better for your immune system and overall health. Fruit is high in vitamin C and antioxidants, which strengthen the immune system and ward off any invading bacteria and microbes. Ever since I’ve gone high-fruit, low-fat raw vegan, I rarely get sick (maybe once a year if that – and usually due to stress or lack of sleep).

7. Create An Alkaline Environment For The Body
The first thing people think when they eat fruit is that it is too acidic – this is in fact not true. Lemons are actually one of the most alkaline fruits on the planet! They may be acidic in form, but once they reach the stomach, the minerals (like potassium and sodium) disassociate to make it alkaline (via a variety of metabolic processes). All fruit is alkaline, so make sure you eat plenty of it in the morning if you normally eat a Standard American Diet.

8. Feel Full and Satisfied
You might not think that fruit would make you full, but it really does! There is so much fibre in fruit, plus the vitamins and minerals and phytonutrients that tell the brain it’s satisfied and to shut off the hunger signal to the stomach. Make sure you eat enough fruit to feel full – it might take a bit of practice to fit in a 6-mango breakfast but in the end, you’ll feel full, satisfied, and not bogged down by any excess energy used for digestion.

9. Strengthen The Heart
Fruit is packed with beneficial vitamins, minerals, crucial phytonutrients and antioxidants that contribute to lower cholesterol levels and lower blood pressure – both of which contribute to a healthier, stronger heart and prevent against cardiovascular disease.

10. Banish Belly Bloating

The fibre in fruit will push out old waste matter in the digestive tract and get rid of lower-belly bloating. In addition, eating water-dense fruits like watermelon (that also act as a natural diuretic) will help flush out excess sodium from the body by encouraging urination. The faster you get out the salt, the sooner you’ll stop holding onto so much excess water weight!

References:
1. https://stronglifts.com/7-reasons-why-you-should-not-eat-breakfast/
2. https://livelovefruit.com/eating-fruit-for-breakfast-completely-transform-your-health/
3. https://oscarwilton.com/2015/02/12/5-reasons-why-breakfast-is-the-least-important-meal-of-the-day/

I just want to make common sense...Mods, Mynd44, Sissy3, dominique

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Beverages Transported By Refuse Truck In Lagos. / Please Some1 Should Help Me Out! / Butts Exploded After Few Months Of Plastic Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.