Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,736 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

Why Most Uneducated People Are More Successful In Business - Johnspeak Uwangue - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Most Uneducated People Are More Successful In Business - Johnspeak Uwangue (29269 Views)

How To Get Your Staffs Hooked On Your Vision By Johnspeak Uwangue / Johnspeak Uwangue: 4 Business Lessons I Learnt From A Physically Challenged Man / Johnspeak Uwangue: 4 Business Lessons I Learnt From A Physically Challenged Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Most Uneducated People Are More Successful In Business - Johnspeak Uwangue by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 10:22pm On Dec 18, 2017
omohayek:
It's funny how those without the level of education required to evaluate how much education is worth are the same ones who are most enthusiastic about this utterly ridiculous post! One can never lose money catering to the vanity of Nigeria's less educated and less intelligent!

As someone already mentioned, uneducated people are only more "successful" in "business" in poor third-world countries where "business" doesn't go beyond the buying and selling of unprocessed commodities, or mass importation of low-quality consumer goods (aka "container" ). Let's see how far anyone will get in automobile or airplane manufacturing, heavy engineering, pharmaceutical development or financial portfolio management without serious education! How many uneducated people have even a prayer of even breaking into software development, machine-learning, quantum computing or genetic engineering, let alone thriving in such environments? Where do you think Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates both started their businesses? At Harvard University! And where do you think Elon Musk was when he first decided to become an entrepreneur? In a PhD program for Applied Physics at Stanford University! Do these sound like uneducated people to any sane person?

The real problem with Nigeria isn't that its educated people are any less good at "business" than the uneducated ones. The real issue is that Nigeria is so badly led and so rife with corruption that educated people aren't able to grow the sorts of businesses that would make proper use of their skills; that's why the same "overeducated" Nigerians are able to thrive once they get to America, Canada, Europe or other such places. Why should people with curiosity and intelligence be content with "business" like filling containers with second-hand goods in Hong Kong and bringing them into Nigeria? Of course the uneducated will be better at such menial "business" - at least until it is automated by the educated so it too can be handled over the internet!
if only NL had a give gold option like reddit, I would give you a billion of them.

5 Likes

Re: Why Most Uneducated People Are More Successful In Business - Johnspeak Uwangue by Exciton(m): 6:51am On Dec 19, 2017
omohayek:
It's funny how those without the level of education required to evaluate how much education is worth are the same ones who are most enthusiastic about this utterly ridiculous post! One can never lose money catering to the vanity of Nigeria's less educated and less intelligent!

As someone already mentioned, uneducated people are only more "successful" in "business" in poor third-world countries where "business" doesn't go beyond the buying and selling of unprocessed commodities, or mass importation of low-quality consumer goods (aka "container" ). Let's see how far anyone will get in automobile or airplane manufacturing, heavy engineering, pharmaceutical development or financial portfolio management without serious education! How many uneducated people have even a prayer of even breaking into software development, machine-learning, quantum computing or genetic engineering, let alone thriving in such environments? Where do you think Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates both started their businesses? At Harvard University! And where do you think Elon Musk was when he first decided to become an entrepreneur? In a PhD program for Applied Physics at Stanford University! Do these sound like uneducated people to any sane person?

The real problem with Nigeria isn't that its educated people are any less good at "business" than the uneducated ones. The real issue is that Nigeria is so badly led and so rife with corruption that educated people aren't able to grow the sorts of businesses that would make proper use of their skills; that's why the same "overeducated" Nigerians are able to thrive once they get to America, Canada, Europe or other such places. Why should people with curiosity and intelligence be content with "business" like filling containers with second-hand goods in Hong Kong and bringing them into Nigeria? Of course the uneducated will be better at such menial "business" - at least until it is automated by the educated so it too can be handled over the internet!

So we'll written, it's almost impossible to improve upon this.

It's annoying to realize that our revenue source in 2017 is basically the same as that of pre-colonial and colonial times - sales of unprocessed raw materials.

Zero improvement because we don't care about human development, just short term quick profits mostly due to greed.

5 Likes

Re: Why Most Uneducated People Are More Successful In Business - Johnspeak Uwangue by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 6:30pm On Dec 19, 2017
omohayek:

Mr. Little Grammar, what sort of qualification do you think it takes be a chemical or software engineer? What qualification do you think Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg were pursuing at Harvard, exactly? A trivial Google search would have told you the answer, if only you'd bothered to check before dashing off your ignorant response ...

What, is Facebook not a business? Is Microsoft not a business? Are Tesla and SpaceX not businesses?

And yet, it is the same products of degree mills who are excelling in America, Canada and the UK. How are they managing to do so, if what you say is all true?

Well, your statement clearly applies in your case, since you fail to realize how Nigerian politics sets roadblocks for participation that few educated people can clear without godfathers to sponsor them, or that Nigeria's terrible governance routinely destroys the hard work of even the smartest and most hardworking of its entrepreneurs.

Have you ever tried starting a real business of your own in Nigeria, one that requires heavy investment and skilled workers, one that goes beyond simple trading or importation of second-hand goods? Do you know how many licenses and permits you will be required to provide, and how many parasites will demand bribes to issue them to you? Have you ever witnessed a governor deciding your business looks too healthy for him to leave you alone, and suddenly yanking your C of O, or pulling some other stunt that will kill your firm, unless you "donate" 25% of your turnover to a numbered foreign account? Unless you've dealt with Nigeria's insanely difficult business environment at a high level, you have no business criticizing university graduates for not achieving the impossible in the face of so many obstacles.

I'll repeat: the only reason uneducated people appear to do better at "business" in Nigeria is because the only type of "business" that can do well in the hostile Nigerian environment is the rudimentary buying/selling or "okrika" importation type that uneducated people are limited to. If Nigeria were even slightly better run and friendlier to business, the OP would have been laughed at so hard he'd have deleted the entire thread in embarrassment.

Do you perchance drink ?
Lets pop a bottle of the bubbly stuff sometime, you have a working brain in your head.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Most Uneducated People Are More Successful In Business - Johnspeak Uwangue by dataideas: 10:43pm On Mar 15, 2018
Re: Why Most Uneducated People Are More Successful In Business - Johnspeak Uwangue by Nobody: 6:59pm On Sep 30, 2019
Arelyn:
OP, you think education is what makes a business successful? ..there is no standard or assurance that your level of education will take your business to lofty heights, what you only need to succeed in any business is focus and flexibility with ideas

So, this write up is a big fallacy to me and its borne out of a converse Generalization. I have seen educated people that are successful business wise. OP, wait a sec, what do you think most uneducated people will venture into if not for business.. so there is a high number of non-educated fellow going into business and Dats why it's more pronounced compared to educated fellows that have a wide array of opportunities to them. Starting up a business is not a priority, when you are educated
Everybody can't be business oriented...

With the Nigerian economy of today, you can't say that there are more uneducated people in business. I won't agree.

Do you know the number of university students who survive and pay their fees through school doing businesses ? Consider the millions of graduates every year who turn out without jobs like 80% of Nigerian graduates today don't find jobs 5 years after graduation.

All these people run into businesses to survive. Now considering the successful men in business, the first 5 richest business men in most markets, say TIMBER, IMPORTERS, KEY DISTRIBUTORS, CEMENT etc, they are mostly non graduates.

We are talking of men who have over N1bn in business. Why, when you concentrate on one thing for over 10 years, you get good in doing it.

The 7 years theory to me doesn't even work. Many Nigerians are still struggling with their businesses 7 years after starting off.

While the graduate or undergraduate has divided attention mixing business with studies. The illiterate has no distractions from business.

The illiterates succeed faster. He is pure practical not book knowledge. Hunger to learn by asking questions is the driving force. Humility to learn from those who you consider lower than you is key.
Re: Why Most Uneducated People Are More Successful In Business - Johnspeak Uwangue by Nobody: 7:09pm On Sep 30, 2019
dan2090:

Well said, What do say in the case of Dangote to Elumelu?

My Honest Opinion? It's just Hardwork and Grace, Just my Opinion.

It is all about passion.

Hardwork kills.

Many people have given up under hardwork. Many people are working hard without direction. Running fast in no direction.

If you don't know where you are going, moving fast will lead you to NOWHERE.

This is the problem most Nigerians have today because of few opportunities.. If what someone is doing is not profitable, he is directionless.
Re: Why Most Uneducated People Are More Successful In Business - Johnspeak Uwangue by Nobody: 7:20pm On Sep 30, 2019
safarigirl:
the lecturers themselves are lazy, you can pay many of them for grades even in your project, so, where is the will to study or learn anything?

I would rather enroll my kids in vocational schools all their lives than send them to Nigerian higher institutions where you spend years learning nothing but deceit

If you want your kids to be rich in Nigeria, when they finally finish secondary school, enrol them under a Talented Toyota and Honda Mechanic.

He should be 16 after SS3, after 7 years apprenticeship, at 23 years, your child will be an auto wizard. Worse off at 26, after 10 years of tutelage.

The sky is his limit.

His mates are finishing NYSC, with no DIRECTION in life. Lol..
Re: Why Most Uneducated People Are More Successful In Business - Johnspeak Uwangue by dan2090: 8:43am On Oct 01, 2019
My friend, having a sustainable and/or consistent Passion is Hardwork in itself. Nothing beats working hard.

One thing is for sure "If hardwork doesn't kill, it can only make one stronger"

Naughtysite:

It is all about passion.

Hardwork kills.

Many people have given up under hardwork. Many people are working hard without direction. Running fast in no direction.

If you don't know where you are going, moving fast will lead you to NOWHERE.

This is the problem most Nigerians have today because of few opportunities.. If what someone is doing is not profitable, he is directionless.
Re: Why Most Uneducated People Are More Successful In Business - Johnspeak Uwangue by amhere2help(f): 10:31am On Oct 01, 2019
If this have helped me raised finance for my business, I believe it will help you too..

Are you in need of capital to start a new business or you needed to finance an existing business?

I've got FANTASTIC NEWS for you today.

A recent research study has proved that Raising capital to start a business has been a major challenge most entrepreneurs are faced with while trying to start up a new or financed an existing business..

The researcher also reported that Entrepreneur’s and business owner who already have access to the book " HOW TO RAISE CAPITAL FOR A BUSINESS" have been able to overcome this challenge and have been able to raise capital for their business(es) by these simple strategies shared in the book.

This could be the answer you have been looking for all this while...

And its already helping thousands of business owners and entrepreneurs raised capital for their business and financed their existing business.

Kindly send YES, TELL ME MORE to this email

cares2fid@outlook.com

Kindly note: This is only for the first 50 People to send YES AM INTERESTED.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Importer To CBN: Tell The Truth, Naira Has Been Devalued / Fraudsters Dupe Traders By Buying With ‘Magic’ Money (pictured) / Hope I Wouldn't Find Myself To Be Blamed If I Return This ATM Card To The Owner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.