Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,282 members, 7,815,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

5 Alaba Traders Remanded In Prison For Pirating Nollywood Movies - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 5 Alaba Traders Remanded In Prison For Pirating Nollywood Movies (326 Views)

Alaba Traders Receiving Treatments After Clash With Thugs / Teenage Girl Who Stabbed Boyfriend To Death In Lagos Remanded In Prison / Managing Director Remanded In Prison For Pirating Nigerian Weekly Law Reports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Alaba Traders Remanded In Prison For Pirating Nollywood Movies by Oluwaniepp: 7:42am On Dec 20, 2017
Site: Exclusivepp.com.ng

Source:- http://www.exclusivepp.com.ng/5-alaba-traders-remanded-prison-pirating-nollywood-movies/

Five suspected pirates of Nollywood movies have been arraigned and remanded in prison over copyright infringements.

The accused are David Chukwudi, Austin Igboukwu, Ugochukwu Ukwuagu, Chukwuka David and Ndu Celestine.

The suspects, who allegedly committed the offence under the guise of trading in popular Alaba Market, appeared at the Federal High Court, Ikoyi in Lagos, charged with copyright infringement.

Chukwudi, David and Celestine were charged on 11-count charge bordering on copyright infringement and use of premises to promote copyright infringement.

Igboukwu and Ukwuagwu were charged on 13-count charge also bordering on copyright infringement.

In the first charge, the prosecutor, Barrister Kehinde Oluwole from the Police Force Headquarters, Abuja, said that Chukwudi, David and Celestine committed the offence on August 14, 2017 in the premises of the Alaba International Market, Lagos.

He said the accused forged packets of uncensored Nollywood films that include: “Jenifa’s Diary“, “Lord of War“, “The Village War“, “My kids and I“, “What I want“, “Osinachi my wife’’, among others, for illegal distribution.

Oluwole said the three suspects also engaged in the unauthorised recording of the said works, as well as utilising their business premises for copyright infringement.

Chukwudi, David and Celestine, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Meanwhile, Igboukwu and Ukwuagwu, who were charged on 13-count charge bordering on similar offences, also pleaded not guilty to the charges

They were alleged to have committed the offences on August 12, 2017 also at a shop in Alaba International market.

Both accused were said to have flagrantly packaged for distribution, unauthorised works that include “Proposal of Arms“, “Sword of Justice“, “Brave Medium“, “Wedding party“, “The king’s wealth’’, “A trip to Jamaica“ among others.

They were alleged to have packaged the works worth millions of Naira, for illegal exhibition and distribution.

The offences contravene the provisions of Sections 58 of the Nigerian Films and Video Censor Board Act, 2004 and Section 20 of the Copyright Act, Cap 28, Laws of The Federation, 2004.

Justice Hassan also ordered all five suspects to be remanded in prison.

Source:- http://www.exclusivepp.com.ng/5-alaba-traders-remanded-prison-pirating-nollywood-movies/

Re: 5 Alaba Traders Remanded In Prison For Pirating Nollywood Movies by python1: 8:07am On Dec 20, 2017
Lol. Let them keep pirating their products, e for no concern me if not that they infiltrate the market with those pirated products. That is how I wanted to buy a phone charger, one of dem asked me if I wanted the original and I answered in the affirmative. The thief brought out one well packaged "original" charger and put a price of 2.5k on top. We haggled and arrived at 1.5k, I paid. For 6 hrs, my phone battery did not go beyond 3% with an "original" charger.
The annoying thing is that they are now everywhere. I came out of the arrival hall of the MMIA, I had no naira to spend, even N150 for trolley, I no get. I left my luggage, came out of the arrival hall to get naira. Na only abokii I think say dem dey change currency, but this time, na one of dem approach me and asked "oga you want change dollars"? I said yes, I brought out $200 to be exchanged for 72k. To cut the long story short, I was in a hurry, dude sensed it, took advantage of that and final final, he played a fast one and I lost 20k. Dat was my first welcome back.

(1) (Reply)

3 Kenyan Men Who Stole Bibles In Church Charged In Court (photos) / Boko Haram Factional Leader ‘sustains Fatal Injury’ From Troops’ Bombardment / Mysterious: Two Children Burnt To Death In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.