Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

What Makes God God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Makes God God? (411 Views)

Does Going To Church Makes God Answer Ones Prayers? / God Is An Atheist: What Theists Cant argue.Discover God's God / The True Religion Of God : God (creator) And Creation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Makes God God? by boringnigerian: 2:19am On Dec 21, 2017
I'm sure this question has come up once or twice before and has been discussed but I want us to really think - theists and atheists alike of what our answers are and why we are going with those answers. Why I said both sides have to think is because, well theists have to have a proper idea of why God is God to venerate and worship him while atheists on the other hand also have to have a good idea what makes an entity God and why that entity shouldn't/does not exist.

Please, I would really not prefer those things we heard in Sunday school and have never really thought about "he is the alpha and omega, the creator....." nope. I want us to reaaaallllly think about why we think God is, well, God.

Now here's the reason why I'm posing this: none of us has any definitive proof of whether God does/does not exist but I feel the more important question is: what must an entity possess to be called God?

Is God God because he created us? That may be but what if there is another entity, unknown to us that has the power to create? Would that entity also be God? I mean, I don't know how celestial physics work but I guess it doesn't preclude more than one creator entity. If a second (or third or more) entity with powers of creation also exists, can we also call them God?

Is God God because he is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent? Again, we don't know if there is another entity with the same qualities who is just not interested in the affairs of men. Would that entity also be worthy of being called God?

Is God God because he takes an active interest in our lives? Well, we don't know if it's just one entity that's intervening in our affairs or several (due to, y'know, no physical manifestations). So if they are multiple, are they all God?

Is God God because he is the most powerful entity in existence? Well, none of us were there when the battle for the greatest (if there was such a thing) occurred, so there's no way of knowing if there are actually two (or more) different entities with different, non-conflicting agendas. Are they both God?

So think carefully, what makes God God that can only be attributable to only one entity?
Re: What Makes God God? by Topestbilly(m): 3:03am On Dec 21, 2017
Op there are things we need not to stress ourselves about,it may sound like we don't know what we are following or what we are doing. If we keeping questioning the existence of God we might ended up going astray.

My opinion is, read whatever book you believe in, we should make sure we have proper understanding about it. Let's leave whether God exist or not and do good deeds for the sake of humanity.

(1) (Reply)

Prayer Of A Good Christian / Exodus 21 Vs 7 / Bishop Slams Nigerian Parents That Leave Wealth Behind For Their Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.