Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller (56442 Views)

"Blood In The Ring" A Crime Thriller By John Mfon. / FEIRE - A Romance Story / Jailbird Readers, I Brought You Episode 71 To Episode 92 (Click And Enjoy) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 11:20pm On Mar 02, 2018
Episode 53

® 18+ SNVL
© Aaron Ansah-Agyeman

EYRAM'S RESIDENCE
Junior is sleeping soundly in one of the guest rooms.
He had wanted to see his father, and Eyram had thought it best he spent the night at her place so that she can monitor him further as he waits for Chris.
Effe had decided to stay with her sister too, just to be close to her son.
She had cooked some plantain and garden-eggs stew for herself and Eyram.
It is the first time in a while that the two sisters have been alone and sharing a cosy dinner.
The moment strikes both of them, and they laugh a lot as they remember old times.
After dining, they take tall glasses of ice-cold Coca-Cola to the porch.
They sit on the beautiful cane chairs, and when Effe sees the Boys Quarters her mood suddenly dampens.
EFFE
I wonder where that boy is. Lord, why did you allow me to fall in love with such a crazy man?
Her sad tone makes Eyram look at her sharply. She takes a sip of her coke to hide the sudden lurch of her heart.
EYRAM
Chris will always be Chris, Ef. You knew the moment that Crankson brute hurt Junior that Chris will never let it rest, didn't you?
EFFE
(sadly)
That's it, Rammy. Chris’ life has always been like that, no resting. If he learns how to rest, for even a second, what a wonderful life he will have.
Again, Eyram drinks her coke. She looks at her sister and then she sighs heavily.
EYRAM
So. You and Steve. Have you fixed a date yet?
Effe looks up at her sister, and her face is a topography of worry and distress.
EFFE
(softly)
How can I? Can I do anything sensible when that bad boy Chris Bawa is around, Rammy? I tried. Lord knows I tried, and I guess Mom especially is going to be mad at me, but there's nothing I can do.
Eyram is suddenly feeling quite sick. She forces herself to drink down all the coke, and put the glass down with the ice cubes tinkling in it.
EYRAM
(softly)
Meaning you've decided to go back to Chris?
Something in Eyram's voice makes Effe look at her sharply with a little scowl.
EFFE
I've never stopped loving Chris, Rammy.
EYRAM
(derisively)
The man you divorced, the man you and Mom couldn't stand, the man you left alone in a rotten prison for five years? You now want him back? You now realize you still love him? If he had not come out of prison you might have been a married woman now, Ef.
Effe slowly puts down her drink and turns and looks at her sister, so stunned that for a second she can hardly speak.
EFFE
(with indignation)
Jesus, Rammy! What's this? Are you judging me? You of all people should know what I've been through. Young mother, budding lawyer, and suddenly my husband goes berserk and beats up an old man who wanted to take a roll of marijuana from him? He ends up knocking down a poor innocent girl who loses one of her legs? He bursts the eye of a policeman and then they find cocaine in his car? But suppose all that is just the workings of the drugs in him, so I forgive him for that. But what about Elaine? A girl who is like a second sister to me? My maid of honour! And he rapes her! What do you suppose I felt, Rammy?
EYRAM
(softly)
I'm not judging you, Ef. I'll never do that. But I find it so amazing when you claim you love him, and now want him back when you've never really believed in him. Even now, after knowing he made love to Elaine and you caught him in the act, but he wasn’t raping her, you still continue to believe Elaine’s version. And yet you claim you love him? Maybe we have different perspectives about love, but I know I’ll always believe Chris over Elaine.
EFFE
(disgusted)
What the hell are you talking about, Rammy?
EYRAM
You never believed him when he told you he didn't rape Elaine.
Effe freezes. She looks at her sister carefully.
She wonders if Chris has also told Eyram that he and Elaine had been in a relationship once.
No, he couldn't have. When he confessed to her it had been torn out of him.
Eyram surely would have told her if Chris had told her anything like that.
EFFE
(forlornly)
What's there to believe, Rammy? I didn't hear it from somebody. Elaine didn't accuse him. I walked into a hotel room and he is on top of her naked body. She is screaming, crying for him to stop, scratching his back until blood poured! And you want me to believe he wasn't raping her, dear sister? I can accept he made a mistake he’s sorry for, and I’ve now forgiven him, and ready to rebuild our lives together, but what I saw that day was rape.
Eyram sighs miserably, and then she looks up as a Nissan Pathfinder turns into the yard.
She notices how Effe jumps to her feet instantly and begins to walk towards the car.
Eyram reaches out and touches Effe's arm. She looks her sister in the eyes and speaks softly.
EYRAM
Listen, Ef. Chris doesn't have to rape any woman. Apart from the fact that you're sexier and far more beautiful than Elaine, he doesn't really have to rape her, or any woman.
EFFE
(confused)
What're you talking about, Rammy?
EYRAM
(sighing)
Unless you believe that Chris is a pervert, who can decide to rape any woman, let me tell you that Chris Bawa can have any woman he wants. That is what you've never understood.
As she turns away and picks up the glasses and leaves the porch hurriedly, Effe stares after her, aghast.
She suddenly feels cold, and has goose-bumps all over her body. The air locks in her throat and for a moment she cannot breathe.
What is that air about Eyram, and that note in her voice? Effe feels there is something she is not getting, something she cannot put a finger on.
But can it be true? Has Elaine held back about something? Is that why Chris had made some veiled accusations?
The Pathfinder has stopped, and three men jump out.
She sees Chris taking a quick look at Effe's and Eyram's parked cars, and then he comes striding towards the main house.
Effe descends the steps and walks slowly towards him.
Up in the house Eyram parts the curtains and watches them.
Effe is looking into Chris' face. His face is hard and still as if made from granite.
When they reach each other they do not speak. Effe simply walks into him and her arms encircle his neck.
He crushes her to him, and when their lips meet it is with a hungry violence that draws their souls out and unites them with the fervour of starved love.
Eyram turns away from the window with a little sob, and as she does so she sees that Junior has walked into the living-room and he is out and walking rather slowly towards his parents.
The pain is sudden and unbidden, as terrible as it is unwanted in Eyram's chest.
She walks quickly to her room and slams the door. She leans against the door and take hard breaths, shutting her eyes tightly.
EYRAM
This is sick, Eyram. Very sick. You can't have this feeling! You can't have this pain. He's your sister's love! Stop this nonsense now, STOP IT THIS VERY INSTANT!
Even so, tears force their way past her tightly-shut eyelids and fall down her cheeks.
Chris feels a hand on his thigh, and he tries to pull back, but Effe will not let go as she hungers against his lips.
JUNIOR
(angrily)
Daddy! Stop that! Mommy, stop the face-licking thing!
They break apart, and realize their son is with them.
Chris falls down to his knees instantly and gathers his son into his arms.
His huge body trembles as deep emotions overcome him.
But he does not cry this time round. He leans back slowly and stares at his son.
CHRIS
(gently)
Listen, Champ. I made a promise to you, and I'll always keep my promise. But that man, he's not a very good man. He keeps hurting people. And he hurt you, and I can't allow that, Champ. I'll not allow anybody to hurt you.
JUNIOR
(weeping)
But I really really really don't want you to fight, Daddy. I don't want you to die, Daddy.
Chris gathers his son into a hug again.
CHRIS
Daddy is stronger than ever, Champ. Daddy is not going to die.
JUNIOR
(tremulously)
You promise, Daddy? You really really really cross your heart promise you're not going to die?
The two other men have reached them now.
It is Darlett Thompson and Wailer Vroom.
CHRIS
(crossing his heart)
I promise Champ. After the fight, I'm going to buy your Mommy the biggest diamond ring and we're going to take our vows again, and we're going to be a family again.
Junior's worry disappears instantly and he looks up at his mother with the pure innocent happiness of an angel.
JUNIOR
(absolutely happy)
Is it really really really true, Mommy?
Effe laughs, and she runs a hand through the hair of her son and that of her man, and even though tears stream down her face she is also smiling happily.
EFFE
I love your crazy father, my Prince. Yes, we're going to be a family again, and you're going to have little sisters and brothers!
JUNIOR
No more Uncle Stevie step-father nonsense?
EFFE
(sobbing)
No, no more Stevie step-father nonsense, my dearest.
They all laugh, and the boy throws his arms around his father's neck and whoops.
JUNIOR
YAPPITY YAPPITY YIPPPPEEEE!!
JAILBIRD continues

Read more here - www.youngicee.com/category/the-jailbird

3 Likes

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by skubido(m): 12:43am On Mar 03, 2018
Wow. Nice wan. Like dat.

Tanks a lot 4d update

1 Like

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by madfunds: 10:42am On Mar 03, 2018
wow...this is super exciting.
Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 3:01pm On Mar 03, 2018

® 18+ SNVL
© Aaron Ansah-Agyeman

IRON FIST GOJU DOJO
The upcoming GojuFist fight, coming up in two weeks, is dominating every other topic in the country.
The Crankson camp has accepted the challenge, but extended the one week demanded by Chris to two weeks to hype up the event.
Crankson is now back to his bragging best.
He is on all platforms on social media, releasing video after video of how he is going to destroy Chris Bawa.
Chris left all the arrangements to Wailer Vroom.
He only went for the medical check-ups but refused the press conferences.
He also left that to Wailer.
He is now extremely happy, and he dedicates his time to being at the restaurant and then with his family.
Effe, never one to deceive anybody, wants to tell Steve that things have changed and she now wants to be with Chris.
Steve, however, is not ready to see her.
He told her he is going on a trek and will be back for the fight, and after that he and Effe will have a talk.
Effe has no choice. She decides to wait for him to return.
Every dawn Chris rides to Vroom Wailer's gym to work out and train. He is quite dedicated to this.
Darlett comes with him almost every time.
Darlett, an electrician by trade, has started working.
Eyram has allowed him to use the other bedroom in the Boys Quarters until he finds a place to stay since Darlett has no one to go to.
His wife had moved on, and since he has no children, he has not bothered to find her.
His family does not want anything to do with an ex-convict, so he has nowhere to go.
The weigh-in for the fight takes place on a Wednesday.
Because of the tension in the air and the deep anger between Crankson and Bawa, the authorities scheduled different times for the weigh-in.
Crankson weighs-in in the morning, two hours before Chris.
A massive crowd comes to the GIGA to witness it.
The media is a combative force of presence that shocks many. Never has there been such tension and frenzy in the country.
Chris attends with Wailer Vroom and Darlett, and he wears a light white T-shirt throughout to cover the horrible mutilation on his back.
There are a lot of people and support teams at the arena carrying Chris' paraphernalia
When they finish, and are in Wailer's car the thick crowd surrounds the car with everybody wishing to touch Chris.
WAILER
(whistling)
You're back, Chris, you bastard. They've not stopped loving you.
Darlett laughs, but Chris says nothing.
When they get to JUNIOR’S and Chris opens the car door to get out Darlett pokes his head out of the window.
DARLETT
Hey, Chris, I'm going to that new warehouse to continue the wiring. You promised to help me out tomorrow morning to fix those air-conditioners, remember?
Chris smiles and nods.
CHRIS
Yeah, I remember, old man. Tomorrow dawn we'll go there and finish up before I come to the restaurant.
DARLETT
(relieved)
Sure, sure, bro. Will see you in the house then.
SOMEWHERE INSIDE LAPAZ - THURSDAY DAWN
Darlett Thompson is wearing blue khaki overalls and driving a rickety truck which he claims belongs to the cold store company he is making the electrical installations for.
Chris is sitting beside him.
It is still dark by the time they reach a huge gate locked with huge chains and giant padlocks.
It is completely dark.
Darlett gets out of the car, yawns and stretches.
He approaches the gate and opens the padlocks with a bunch of keys.
He opens the gates wide and then comes back to the truck and drives through.
Chris can see through gloom that it is indeed a new site.
The buildings are mostly completed, but there are a lot of debris lying around and none of the buildings is painted.
Darlett stops in front of the tallest building. It is about six storeys, and it is fitted with lights.
DARLETT
(wanly)
Destination reached, son.
Chris gets out and also stretches. He is tired and still needs sleep, but he needs to help his friend.
He sees that to the left of the building is a huge pool of water. It is as if the ground has been dug out, maybe for some underground construction, and water from the ground has filled it up.
CHRIS
Waterlogged land this is. This company will spend a lot of money filling up the ground.
DARLETT
Yeah. Rich company. They have the dough to do that.
They carry some tools up the stairs to the sixth floor landing.
CHRIS
Wow. Quite a stretch. Going up and down these flights of stairs will break your heart soon, old man.
DARLETT
(laughing)
Exercises the old heart, my son.
They are on a corridor.
Darlett flicks some switches, and lights come on.
He walks along the corridor which has doors at each side, but he opens the door at the end of the corridor, flicks a switch, and enters.
Chris follows with the sack of tools and puts them on the floor.
This room is very huge and very neat. On the floor are boxes of new split air-conditioners.
The windows are sliding-glass, but the burglar-proof metals have not been fixed yet.
Chris walks over to the window at the end of the room, slides it open a bit and looks out.
Far below him he sees that great pool of water which has filled up the crater in the ground.
CHRIS
Wow. Quite some drop. Alright, old man, let's get started.
He turns back with a smile and then he freezes.
Darlett is standing against the door, and he has a huge gun in his hand, and it is pointed at Chris’ chest.
They look at each other, and Chris sees death in the eyes of the old man.
Darlett is too far away for Chris to disarm him, and the only things lying around are the boxes of air-conditioners, and in the far end a deep-freezer; absolutely nothing available for Chris to use as a weapon.
DARLETT
(sadly)
I'm sorry, Chris.
Chris' jaw is working.
He is absolutely stunned.
He does not know what is going on, but he has trusted this old man with all his heart.
Darlett had been his cell mate in prison.
He and Chris had been great friends.
Chris is hurt, and he leans back against the window and folds his arms.
CHRIS
(painfully)
What's going on here, Darlett?
Darlett's jaw is working tightly.
For a brief moment, his face is filled with indescribable pain and regret.
DARLETT
I work for King Shapiro, kid. Ever heard of him? He is a drug baron.
Chris sees that Darlett's face is shining with sudden sweat, and that his hands are not quite steady.
Chris sighs, but his fury begins to mount uncontrollably.
Here is a man he had loved and trusted. A man he had accepted into his life unconditionally.
And at the moment when his life is turning around quite beautifully, this friend he trusted has now become an enemy with a poisoned sting.
CHRIS
What has your involvement with a local drug baron got to do with me, Darlett?
The old man bites his lip, and his face takes on a pained look.
DARLETT
I owe Shapiro a lot of money, kid. Drug money, before I was imprisoned. I knew he was gonna kill me. There was no way I could hide from him. I used to work for him, you know, before I went to jail. He's a ruthless bastard. He came to me, Chris. His proposition was simple. I have to lure you here and either kill you or wait for the police to pick you up. Then he will wipe my slate clean, you know, my debt paid so I could have my life back again. If I fail, he'll kill me. So you see, it's your life, or mine.
CHRIS
So you're gonna kill me, Darlett? What will be the story? Robbery? I came here to steal? You'll do that to me?
Chris moves from the window, his heart beating with fury, and Darlett raises the gun and draws back the hammer, his eyes cold and focussed, a killer's eyes.
DARLETT
No, kid. Stealing ain't gonna get you enough years in jail. Inside that freezer over there is enough cocaine to put you away for fifty years.
Chris' face darkens, and his body trembles with crippling fury.
CHRIS
(wrathfully)
How could you do this to me, Darlett?
DARLETT
(screaming)
Shut the f*** up, kid! It's for my life! There was no other way, man!
CHRIS
Don't do this, Darlett.
DARLETT
I'm sorry, kid. No option. But I can do this much for you. A quick death, or I wait here and let the police get you. Your choice, kid.
CHRIS
(tightly)
You're a fool, Darlett. You think Shapiro is gonna let you live? Gaddemn it man, use your bloody head! As soon as I'm dead or captured they'll kill you too to close the deal! You'll be f***ing expendable, man! Because I’ve never known Shapiro, and I don’t owe him. So why would he want to kill me or frame me for possessing cocaine? Simple, somebody is paying Shapiro to get rid of me, and that somebody wouldn’t want you around as a witness, so Shapiro will kill you too.
DARLETT
No, I'm no fool. I put everything on record, see? I recorded all our phone conversations, and gave the audio to some guys to release them to the police if anything happens to me, or if I die in any way apart from natural. I mentioned this whole scam. King Shapiro wouldn't dare touch me. It's my insurance, you know.
CHRIS
You idiot! What judge is going to believe a bunch of stupid tales on a tape, especially from an ex-con like you? You ain't got shit, man! You kill me, you're gonna hurt Junior, and Effe, and believe me you're going to pay hard either in this world or the f***ing one after!
DARLETT
(coldly)
Shut up, kid. Just shut the f*** up! Your choice. A quick death, or the police?
And at that particular moment Chris hears the sirens.
A lot of police sirens.
He looks through the window, and he sees them!
A lot of police cars are approaching!
JAILBIRD continues

Read more here - www.youngicee.com/category/the-JAILBIRD

2 Likes

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by itsandi(m): 5:36pm On Mar 03, 2018
Interesting update... Enjoy other interesting stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Read!
Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by skubido(m): 5:56pm On Mar 03, 2018
Haaaaaaaa, wahala dey ooo

tanks a lot 4d update
Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 3:54pm On Mar 04, 2018

Chris knows his life has just been totally messed up big time.
There is no way out now. He is going back to prison, to lose Junior again, to lose Effe again, to be disgraced again.
And this time it will not be for five years...
It will certainly be no less than fifty years...
He turns round slowly, and he looks at the man he had believed was his friend.
CHRIS
Kill me, Darlett. Do me that favour. End it all for me.
Sweat runs down Darlett's face in torrents as he points the gun at Chris' heart.
His face screws up as his hand tightens on the trigger.
Chris does not blink. He stands still, looking at the old man.
Darlett's hand is shaking as he primes himself to shoot, and then suddenly he screams and drops his hand.
He laughs shakily and shakes sweat out of his eyes.
He looks at Chris and shakes his head.
DARLETT
Shit, kid, this is proving to be tougher than I thought. I must be going soft.
The police sirens are now deafening.
More police cars and jeeps and pick-ups have entered the yard. Chris turns towards the window again and slides it open, ignoring Darlett's warning shout.
He looks out.
Down below he can see there are a great number of police personnel, heavily armed, running towards the building.
He turns round again without shutting the window.
CHRIS
Go ahead, Darlett. Kill me.
DARLETT
(shaking his head)
No, no, kid. Remember our prison slogan? Dom spiro, spero: once we live, we breathe. Let the cops take you, kid. Once you have life, you can always turn this round.
Chris speaks with all the venom and disgust he feels.
CHRIS
Kill me, you damn bastard! I'm not going through another trial. I'm not going to lose my son again, or my wife. I'm not going to spend years in prison knowing my son is growing up hated because of his father, or Effe going through life being hated because of me. So, you go ahead and kill me.
Chris can hear the cops on the stairs now, their heavy boots and shouts reverberating around the room.
He begins to walk towards Darlett, and the old man raises the gun again.
DARLETT
(screaming)
Stop, kid, goddamn it! Stop or I'm gonna kill you!
CHRIS
(screaming)
Go ahead! Kill me, shoot now!
He does not stop walking, and he sees the great conflicts going on inside Darlett on his face, and he knows that any moment now the bullet might hit him.
Suddenly Darlett lowers his gun.
His face and arms are drenched with sweat now.
Sweat pours down his arms, and he begins to shake.
DARLETT
(softly)
Damn you, kiddo. Always knew you got balls. Shit, fell in love with your son, boy. That's one great boy you got there. And Effe... damn, you see the ass on her? Jeez, hugged her once and it was sweet. Would’ve given anything to knock that ass up..... mmmmm-hmmm!
Chris stops.
There is something in Darlett's voice that sends cold shivers down his spine.
Darlett looks up at Chris, and he smiles wanly.
DARLETT
I've had a good life, kid. Shit, I'm old. You're young, you got the rest of your life ahead of you. At least, you've given me a conscience. I'm sorry I put you in this shit, kiddo. Listen, you can't go out there. They'll kill you. Your only chance is that window. If you can jump out far enough, you can land in that pool of water, or maybe in the mud. Anywhere else and you’ll break into more pieces than humpty-dumpty. That's your only chance.
CHRIS
(scared)
Darlett? What-
DARLETT
(sadly)
Go, kid. Goodbye. Say hi to Effe and Junior for me. Them two just about saved your life today. And hey, kick that Crankson's ass good for me. Git, kid, out the window! NOW!!
Darlett whips round, opens the door and suddenly fires two shots.
Tears form in Chris' eyes as he sees that the old man is giving him a chance after all.
Darlett is sacrificing his life to save Chris.
CHRIS
(sadly)
Damn you, Darlett, you bastard!
He turns round and runs, gathering his momentum, and then he sails through the window, catapulting his body far out as his GojuFist training takes over, his excellently-con
ditioned reflexes coming to serve him once more.
He hears the sounds of heavy shooting, and hears a scream
He splashes into the pool of water.
For a moment he is dazed as he sinks deep into the pool, and then he sees Junior's face, and feels Effe's kiss.
He forces his body to move, propelling himself out of the icy water.
He swims to the far end.
Luckily it is still quite dark, and he gets out of the water.
The cops had been very sure of themselves, and they had all gone in.
Chris comes out of the water and begins to run towards the entrance.
There are police jeeps, sedans and pick-ups parked everywhere.
The engine of the last sedan is still humming, its lights flashing.
Sergeant McBaiden is leaning against its side, flicking images on his phone.
The moment Chris sees him it all clicks in, and he is convinced that somewhere inside that building is Danso Cuger.
Chris comes out of the shadows silently. McBaiden begins to turn, and Chris slams a fist into his jaw.
The cop drops like a sack.
Chris pulls the unconscious cop into the shadows.
He picks up McBaiden's phone because he knows his own phone will not be functional after being submerged in the pool.
He gets into the police car, reverses fast and then spins it around.
As he races through the unfamiliar roads he puts off the flashing lights.
He picks up McBaiden's phone, but the screen is locked, and a password is needed to unlock it.
CHRIS
Damn, damn, damn!
He guns the car till he emerges on the main Lapaz road.
He can hear sirens behind him now, a little far off.
He guns the police car, running the red lights and speeding towards Madina.
When he gets to Okponglo he spots a young man with a backpack seated on a motorbike with his phone to his ear.
Chris parks the car with a screech of tyres. He gets out of the car and approaches him.
The young man looks at Chris with sudden fear.
CHRIS
(trying a smile)
Sorry, gentleman. Police business. Can I please use your phone?
The young man wordlessly cuts his call and hands the phone over.
Chris dials, the phone rings and rings with no answer.
He tries and tries, and on the fifth attempt Effe picks up.
EFFE
(sleepily)
Hello. Who's this, please.
CHRIS
(calmly)
Ef-
EFFE
(instantly alert)
Chris? Good Lord, what-
CHRIS
Something bad happened, my love. Please, I need to be there with you. Can you meet me somewhere? I'm using a police car I need to leave it behind.
EFFE
(alarmed)
Yes, yes, my darling. Anywhere! Where can I pick you up?
The young man suddenly touches his arm.
YOUNG MAN
Chris Bawa.
Chris freezes, and looks at the man, stunned.
CHRIS
What?
YOUNG MAN
(chuckling)
Hey, man, I recognized you. I'm a fan. My name is Joe Duncan. A wet Chris Bawa in a police sedan at dawn, two days from a fight? I think you're in trouble. If you need to ditch the police car you can hop on my bike. I'll take you anywhere.
Chris stares at the man for a moment, and then he puts the phone to his ear.
Effe is shouting out questions.
CHRIS
My love. Just open the gates. Will be with you in a few minutes. But I'll use the small back gate. I don't want your security guys to see me.
JAILBIRD continues tomorrow….

1 Like

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 9:39pm On Mar 05, 2018

® 18+ SNVL
© Aaron Ansah-Agyeman

EFFE'S RESIDENCE
Joe Duncan stops the bike, and Chris gets down.
He puts a hand on the young man's shoulder, and speaks quietly.
CHRIS
Listen, Joe. Something bad went down tonight. Somebody tried to frame me big time. You saved me, pal, and I'm grateful.
Joe Duncan grins from ear to ear.
DUNCAN
Don't worry, boss. I knew they were gonna try some stunt like that. I'm cool, and I've got your back. My lips are sealed. Just kick the ass of Crankboss. And then, later, if you can take a selfie with me, it'll be great.
Chris nods. Miracles still exist.
CHRIS
Pass by JUNIOR'S anytime, Joe. Bring your girlfriend. We'll hang out.
DUNCAN
Yo! Radical! I’ll do that, Mr. Bawa! She’s Josephine. She’ll be blown away!! Thank you very much!!
They shake hands, and the boy rides off.
Chris has stopped several meters away from the house.
It is now getting less dark as daylight approaches rapidly. He runs to the back of the house and enters the little woody perimeter.
The little emergency exit gate creaks open, and he stoops and enters.
Effe is wearing jeans and a short blouse, and her beautiful face is crisscrossed with worry and fear.
EFFE
Eyram called, Chris. The police are in her house. I told her to inform them you spent the night with me. They may be on their way here. Come quickly!
They go through the back door of the kitchen and climb the stairs hurriedly.
Effe urges him to take off his clothes quickly.
Naked, he gets under the shower as she carries his clothes downstairs and puts them in the washing machine.
By the time Chris emerges from the shower they can hear the strident wails of the police sirens.
Effe quickly shirks her clothes and pulls on a negligee.
EFFE
(frightened)
Get into the bed, Chris, now!
Chris climbs under the sheets, and just then the intercom telephone rings.
She picks it up.
EFFE
Hello?
SECURITY 1
The police are here, Madam. They're forcing their way through.
EFFE
I'll be there in a minute.
She looks at Chris with fear all over her lovely face.
CHRIS
Go, my love. It'll be fine.
Effe pulls on a morning robe and belts it.
She descends downstairs and opens the door.
The yard is crowded with cops, and Chief Inspector Danso Cuger is leading them.
EFFE
(icily)
Yes, Inspector?
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
Good morning, Madam. Sorry to bother you this morning. We're looking for Mr. Chris Bawa. We believe he was involved in a drug deal early this dawn, which led to one man losing his life.
EFFE
(raising her eyebrows)
This dawn? What are you talking about? Chris is here. Has been with me since yesterday.
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
(coldly)
Really? We just asked the security man, and he didn't remember Mr. Bawa coming in yesterday.
EFFE
(coldly)
Are you calling me a liar, Inspector? Well, if you had bothered to enquire further you would've been told the security men run shifts, and the one you questioned came in at six o'clock yesterday evening. The day security guy was here when I came in. Chris was in my car, I drove into the garage, and he spent the rest of the day with me.
Chris, a large cloth wrapped around him, appears behind Effe.
He yawns as he puts an arm around her shoulders.
CHRIS
What's it, Angel?
EFFE
I don't know, my love. Seems the policeman thinks you were running a drug deal this dawn.
Chris looks into the furious eye of the police man, whose other eye is patched over as usual.
Cuger looks at Chris with unbridled hatred, and then he smiles tightly.
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
Sorry, Madam. Seems we were wrong. I'll advise you to stick around, Mr. Bawa. We'll still need you in the investigation surrounding the fifty kilograms of cocaine we found this dawn and the death of Mr. Darlett Thompson.
Chris' face clouds over instantly as a deep pain tears through him.
His body tenses as he looks at the policeman.
Effe almost falls down as she stares with horror at Chris.
EFFE
(horrified)
What? Darlett is dead?
CHRIS
(smiling tightly)
He was fine when I spoke to him last night, my love. Maybe the Chief Inspector is confusing him with someone else.
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
(with a nasty smile)
He was shot dead this dawn by a police team which had a tip-off about some hard drugs. You can pass by the police morgue later in the day to identify him for us, Mr. Bawa, since he was staying with you. Good day. Let's go, men.
They watch as the police turn and leave the yard.
Effe goes inside and closes the door, and then she looks at Chris with horror.
EFFE
Darlett? That sweet old man? Dead? What happened, Chris? What happened? What have you gotten yourself into now, Chris Bawa?
CHRIS
Sit down, Ef. Let me tell you everything.
Effe moves past him and begins to climb the stairs.
EFFE
Come up, Chris. Come and tell me.
ON THE STREETS
Chief Inspector Cuger swings his police jeep to the side of the road and gets out.
He stands rigidly as the other police cars disappear in the distance, and then he turns and looks at Effe's house.
Suddenly he turns and kicks savagely at the front tyre of the jeep.
His phone rings.
He looks at the screen and winces.
It is his boss.
He sighs deeply and picks the call.
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
Hello, Chief.
COMMANDER
Cuger! You carried half the force on an operation I didn't sanction and have no idea of?
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
Sorry, Chief. It was a tip-off and we had to move quickly. We recovered some cocaine and were involved with a shoot-out with one of the criminals, who unfortunately died.
COMMANDER
(angrily)
And the other? I've been told you went to Madam Effe Kedem's house to harass her.
Danso Cuger grits his teeth. There is a traitor in the squad, no doubt. Someone who had called the Chief immediately and ratted to Cuger.
Whoever that traitor is, Danso is going to find him.
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
We didn't harass her, Sir. The man we shot was Darlett Thompson, who was released from jail just a few weeks ago. He's a known felon, and a hitman for King Shapiro. Since his release he's been staying with Mr. Chris Bawa. We went to his house to question him, standard procedure, and learnt he was with Madam Effe. So, we went there.
COMMANDER
(coldly furious)
Chris, huh? Same man who burst your eye? You're now turning this precinct into a personal vendetta for revenge, Inspector?
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
No, Sir. We-
COMMANDER
(screaming)
I want your full report on my desk by eight this morning, Inspector! You better show me a link to Mr. Bawa, or I swear I'll have your damn ass on a platter!
The line goes dead.
Cuger grinds his teeth angrily and scratches under the patch of his burst eye.
He takes out a packet of cigarettes from his top pocket and opens the flap.
Inside are three rows of rolled marijuana.
He extracts one, lights up, and stays smoking for a while.
Then he picks up his phone and dials.
AFFUL
(sleepily)
Give me the good news.
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
No good news. Everything went according to plan. Darlett, however, chickened out at the last moment and let Bawa escape. Darlett went berserk, started shooting at us. The guys had no option. They killed him.
AFFUL
(voice dangerously low)
Escaped? Chris escaped? Are you shitting me, you son of a castrated stupid bull? It is a six-storey building, one door. We chose the location well... you chose it! How the hell did he escape?
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
You better watch your mouth, Mr. Afful. I don't take that kind of shit from people like you. Whilst Darlett was holding us up Chris jumped from the sixth floor into the pool float, knocked McBaiden out, stole the car and drove to Okponglo where he abandoned the car. We suspect he had a lift of some sort. But he had enough lead to go to Madam Effe, who gave him the perfect alibi.
AFFUL
(screaming)
f*** f*** f*** f*** f***!! You stupid little stinking p****! f*** f*** f*** f***!!! You took all that money from me and messed up? f*** f*** f*** f***! I'm gonna get your balls for this, Cuger! f*** f*** f***-
Cuger cuts the call.
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
(snickering)
Yeah, I heard you. f*** f*** f***! Stupid man!
JAILBIRD continues

Read more here- www.youngicee.com/category/the-jailbird

2 Likes

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by shurley22(f): 7:51am On Mar 06, 2018
Yay!! Thank God....
Was really scared for Chris...
Well done Oyinprince
Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by skubido(m): 8:18am On Mar 06, 2018
Mind rest.. U too much jhor..

naso God go dey save us from all d enermy of progress...

Tanks a lot 4d update. Wagbayii
Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 4:44pm On Mar 07, 2018

® 18+ SNVL

© Aaron Ansah-Agyeman

EFFE'S RESIDENCE

Chris is sitting on the edge of the bed.

Effe is sitting behind the small glass-topped desk she uses for late-night edits.

Chris has just finished telling her the most sensational story ever, and she is shivering.

She is so scared.

She realizes just how close she and Junior had come to losing him again, and Darlett’s death gives credence to the magnitude of the horror.

She is so horrified that she can barely breathe.

She stares at the dark, violent, troubled man who is full of passion, and who is so lost in this world.

A man who is deeply hated by his own family from a very tender age and forced to fight his own battles, and who is still fighting his battles.

Effe stands up and walks slowly to him.

She sees that there are traces of tears in his eyes from the grieving his soul over Darlett’s final sacrifice.

Of course, he is like that. He is the kind of man who will cry for a man who had wanted to kill him, and in the end made the ultimate sacrifice for him.

Darlett might have been a loathsome man, a man with no scruples who will sell his mother's soul to save his own, but in the end Darlett Thompson had been a true friend.

EFFE
Chris, Chris, Chris! Why do these things happen to you? Why are you always in some kind of trouble? I guess your problem is that you trust too much and the people you trust betray you. Darlett died so that we can be happy, my love. He gave up his life for you to live a free man. Oh Chris, I’ve never gotten over you. I was very hurt when you betrayed me like that. You made me a lot of promises and then you broke them almost simultaneously. I was hurt. I was deeply broken. I told myself I wouldn’t let you hurt me again. The only way I knew how was to cut you off completely. I believed the out of sight out of love crap but there wasn’t one single day that passed without me thinking about you. I was so lost without you. I felt I failed as a wife. I felt I didn’t make you happy enough that was why all those bad things happened. I sought for answers but you gave me none. When I saw you and Elaine naked, that broke my back. That was the last straw, Chris.

She is in obvious anguish, and her tears fall on his clamped hands, and burn him as if they are coals of fire.

He knows she is laying her soul bare, bringing out the festering poison that has locked her heart out.

He reaches out and places his hands on her waist.

He draws her forward, and nestles his face in her belly.

She is trembling.

She puts her hands on his shoulders.

EFFE.
And then three months after your incarceration, when I couldn’t take the pain of missing you anymore, I came to see you. The officers told me you were very dangerous and not allowed visitors. I argued with them and when they saw I was knowledgeable in the law, they told me I had to strip down for a search. I knew it was wrong, but I did it just to get a chance to see you, but when I was in my bra and panties, they started to laugh, and demanded that I take everything off, but I couldn’t do it. I felt so humiliated by their lewd remarks and gestures and ran almost naked to my car. I told myself I was never going back to that prison. I know it’s no excuse, and that I should’ve tried harder, but afterwards my bitterness took over because my heart was bleeding, and I just wanted to be free from that torment. I’m so sorry, Chris-Love. Please forgive me.

Chris looks up at her, and then he encircles her waist with his arms, and his face is still pressed into her belly.

CHRIS
I’m so sorry my Princess, for that harrowing experience you went through. I’m sure Cuger was behind that. He wanted to break my spirit, and he knew one way of achieving that was to make me believe you abandoned me. Let’s move on from the past. I’m here now. I only survived in that prison because of you. I wanted to see you again even if you were with another man.

She traces her hands on his lips and gazes deeply into his eyes.

EFFE
Make me yours again, Chris-Love! Missed you soooo much.I've hungered for your aura, for your halo. Your Cupid's Bow has never left my heart!

His raises his head and pulls her closer.

He has missed her so much.

He thirsts for her.

She's his air!

She caresses his head, and presses herself closer to him.

She runs her fingers on his naked shoulders, and runs tender fingers down on the terrible wounds on his back, feeling his pain.

It all makes perfect sense now.

Cuger has never forgiven Chris for taking out his eye, and in prison the policeman had made sure that Chris went through the worst of experiences, and she had made it worse by staying away.

She is sure that Cuger is part of this evil plan to kill Chris or get him back to prison.

She is afraid of Cuger lifting fingerprints of Chris from the scene and from the police sedan, and implicating Chris.

She plans of scaring Cuger, maybe with the threat that she has the Darlett confession tapes, but that can wait.

Now is not the time to be scared.

This moment, right here, is the time for living.

The moment to live.

With her man.

The only man.

She bends and kisses him, gently pushing him onto the bed.

She pulls away moments later and walks slowly to the door and locks it.

She turns slowly and faces him.

CHRIS
(softly)
Put on the lights, my Angel, I want to see you. I want to see every tiny inch of your body. I have been starved of you.

Effe remembers.

She has never forgotten.

He always wanted to see her, and she always wanted to see the love on his face as he made passionate sweet love to her.

She is so emotional as she switches on the lights, feeling so sentimental that tears fill her eyes.

Chris walks to her and presses her to the door with a kiss that makes them both gasp for air when they manage to pull apart.

She drops the morning robe on the floor.

Chris pushes his hand through the negligee and touches her breasts, elongating her nipples, sending shivers of pleasure though her.

Effe feels hot, so hot with desire, and runs her hand gently up his erection, making him moan with a guttural explosion of pleasure.

He pulls her negligee off in one quick sweep.

He stops for a brief moment to stare at her with a hunger so strong and fierce that it makes the deepest hearts of hell pale to luxurious bliss, and then he lifts her and crushes her against his chest in a sweet torture of a kiss.

Chris pulls her bra off in a simple click of the hooks and slowly peels off her panties.

She knows how much he loves seeing her from behind, how her exquisite shape always takes his breath away.

She turns to him slowly, her hands on her breasts, her nipples hard, and she sees that he is fully erect, and his eyes are half-shut, and he is panting with desire.

She feels the slight throb in her loins, the desire trickling down her inner thighs.

He lifts her and carries her to the bed, his lips blazing a scorching path down her throat.

He puts her gently on the bed.

Without a word he turns and goes to the bathroom while she lies breathless.

He returns after a while with a white towel around his waist.

Walking slowly towards her, she marvels at how incredibly handsome he is.

He suddenly swings her into his arms and, kissing her, carries her to the bathroom.

Time stops, and it feels like Effe’s heart will burst with happiness as she surrenders herself to him.

He puts her in the Jacuzzi, and she feels the sweet lukewarm water over her body, made heavenly by the soaps and fragrant lotions he has added.

She closes her eyes and moans as he gently bathes her, his hands whispering all over her body, his fingers filled with fire and ice.

Her body has never known such pleasure.

She cries silently, filled with a love so powerful, a desire so strong, that she wishes time will never move again.

His sweet hands loves her body from her face to her toes.

He drains the soapy water and cleans her with fresh lukewarm water.

He lifts her up, sets her on the drying patch, picks a towel, and gently dries her body, pausing to kiss her lips, her ears, her eyelids, her throat, her neck, her nipples...

He dries her body and kneels down to dry her legs.

His tongue finds her navel and travels down sensously and rests on the juncture of her thighs.

She moans and trembles as his tongue works on her, and she reaches furiously for him, but he steps out of her reach.

He carries her to the bed, takes a gentle body splash, and gently massages her, lingering on her core zones, driving her so crazy that she is like in a permanent fissure of volcanic pleasure.

Time and again she reaches for him, moans for him, but he stays maddeningly out of reach.

She is simply leaking!

He leaves her, and she moans with frustration, but he smiles lovingly and goes to the bathroom.

He returns a few minutes later and stands looking down at her with his face filled with a love so deep, an adoration so perfect, a craving so hot, a need so insatiable and a worship so flawless that her tears fall gently as the power of the moment grips her relentlessly.

EFFE
(haltingly)
If you don’t make love to me now, I’ll die, or I'll kill you, Chris-Love.

He drops the towel, his face filled with adoration.

CHRIS
Effe...my angel. My breath. My life.

When he drops beside her their kiss is as fierce as the exotic depths of the most powerful volcano.

She turns him on his back and straddles him.

Chris gives off a deep groan.

A moan she is so familiar with.

A moan that means he cannot take it anymore.

A moan that means he is ready.

She takes him and guides him slowly inside her warm sweetness.

He gasps, and his hands come up to cup her breasts, his thumbs elongating her excited nipples.

She falls forward, her lips seeking his violently, desperately.

They fall into the old rhythm as if they have never been apart.

She moans and gasps as wave after wave of pleasure engulfs her.

He is panting, his arms around her, going down her waist, rubbing sensuously across her thighs, coming up to grasp her beautiful buttocks, caressing her, loving her, killing her with love.

His lips blaze a sweet song along her throat, her ears and on her lips.

EFFE
(whispering)
Oh, oh, oh... Chris-Love!

She moves in frenzy on him, racing towards that climax.

CHRIS
(groaning)
Oh, Ah, oh Loorrrd! Slow down, Angel! Missed you so much! I don't wanna explode now... make it last! I don’t want it to stop!

EFFE
(groaning)
I ... can't stop! Oh, Chris-Love! Don't stop! Don't ... stop!! Push me, Chris-Love, push me haaaaarrrrd!!!
Love you. Love you! Love you! Don’t stop Chris! I want all of you. I want you bad!

They grasp each other tightly, as if for survival, and they both reach the penultimate, and their muffled screams are evidence of the incredible volcanic explosion ripping them apart!

Screams of love starved, of passion repressed, of basic bestial craving throttled...for far too long!

It is love...in its purest form!

JAILBIRD continues

2 Likes

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by skubido(m): 6:44pm On Mar 07, 2018
Tanks a 4d update
Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by skubido(m): 12:21pm On Mar 09, 2018
Bro how na.. Hope u r good? Been a while oo.
Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 12:57pm On Mar 09, 2018

® 18+ SNVL
© Aaron Ansah-Agyeman

GHANA INTERNATIONAL GOJUFIST ARENA

It is fight night.
The arena has never been this packed.
It is packed to the rafters!

Every single seat is taken.

It is a sold-out event, hyped by the media, loved by the country.

Live-streaming to all major cities in Africa, the fight has been dubbed 'Rumble of the Titans'.

The VIP Lounge is full, and Eyram, sitting with Rupert, can barely breathe.

Effe is not at the VIP Lounge this time.

She is at ringside with her father, who is beaming from ear to ear.

The noise is rapturous.

She had sat through four under-card fights, two of which had ended early, and two of which had gone the distance.

Her fear is great as she remembers the dream Junior had had.

Her father holds her hand and shouts.

KEN KEDEM
Relax, dear. Chris is the best. He's going to whip that arrogant little bastard, you trust my words.

Effe smiles and nods nervously.

The canvas is being dry-cleaned by two fight attendants using fluffy mops.

Rupert puts a hand under Eyram's chin and turns her strained face to his. He bends and kisses her gently. She opens her lips and kisses him back, and then she sits back with a smile.

Rupert leans back and pops a gum into his mouth, and he is happy that she had at least kissed him in public so tenderly.

Eyram is very nervous.

Her heart is in a turmoil.

She is aware that Effe and Chris have almost found a way back to each other, and she knows that definitely, after the fight, they would vow and commit to each other once again.

Many thoughts have been flying through her mind for almost a week now.

The prime thought is to accept Rupert, marry him, and try her best to love him and get Chris out of her blood forever.

Way up in the VIP Lounge Afful sits with Elaine, and then a man drops into the empty seat by his side, and he turns and looks into Steve's tortured face.

AFFUL
You were with Micky?

STEVE
(nodding)
Yeah. Told him to kill Chris.

AFFUL
(snorting)
Ain't no way Micky can kill Chris, you slowpoke. You want to fight for Effe, fight like a man. Don't expect anybody to do your dirty work for you.

Elaine turns and looks at them with very angry eyes.

ELAINE
Effe and Chris are getting back together, aren't they?

AFFUL
She's your friend, darling. You should know.

ELAINE
She says nothing to me anymore. She just wants to speak to Steve. She's a great disappointment to me, to say the least.

Steve sighs miserably and looks into space morosely.

STEVE
I regret ever befriending that bastard in school. But you know what? Effe is the only woman for me. The only woman. And I know she will eventually come to see that. Chris is a bomb in her life. He will explode again, and she will come running back to me. Just wait and see.

AFFUL
(giggling)
You pathetic old fool. I wonder why you waited so long anyway. You had five years, man, five good years and you couldn't marry or bang her. If you want her, this is the time to fight for her, or she's gone forever!

The lights suddenly dim, and then, for the very first time in many years, the sound of Bob Marley's "Crazy Baldheads" bashes through the speakers of the arena, and a mighty roar goes up!

It is the signature tune for Chris "The Darling Boy" Bawa.

The giant television screens around the arena are suddenly filled with the knockout moves of Chris in past fights.

And then the blue lights of the Challenger's Entrance light up, and Junior appears, dressed up in all black... black jeans, black combats and a black hoodie with a peaked cap.

On his chest are the words, in gold, "The Darling Team."

Junior is smiling, and then Wailer Vroom comes out too, dressed in a similar style, and then as they begin to walk forward Chris appears in the doorway, and a noise the sound of the Atlantic Ocean shakes the arena.

That sound decibel has never been heard, and will probably never be heard in the arena again.

He is dressed in only black shorts with gold side trimmings, and black fight shoes.

His hands are encased in black and gold GojuFist gloves.

Placards shoot into the sky. Fans yell and applause.

Sitting in the VIP and watching, Elaine fumes with anger.

It seems that the boy is no longer the Beast.

Suddenly he has become a hero!

As Chris walks forward his son takes his hand, and together they walk towards the ring.

When he passes the stationed camera beaming his movements on the giant screens, the camera angle swivels, pans and settles on his chest, biceps and spectacular rips.

The hirsute torso is a sexy sight that sends many a female into peals of delight.

And then, as he passes, the camera pans again and settles on his back.

That is when, one by one, people stop the shouting and screaming.

The image of his mutilated back - cut, stripped, whipped, ironed, tortured - filled the screens for every eye to see.

The sight shocks even Afful, who does a double-take and lean forward.

Elaine gasps and clamps her hands to her face.

ELAINE
(hoarsely)
Jesus! Who did that to him?

She is not the only one who is horrified.

There is absolute silence in the arena as the agony he might have gone through to have such a tortured back strikes through the hearts of the crowd.

Danso Cuger, watching the fight in the Officers' Lounge of at the police station, suddenly feels the horrified eyes of the cops coming to rest on him as Bawa's back fills the 21-inch coloured television they are watching.

He grinds his teeth savagely as it suddenly dawns on him that maybe he had gone too far.

This is the most terrible advert ever of his misdeeds and extreme atrocities.

He knows the Commander will see it, and many other people in high places will see the scars.

Bawa had not gone to prison with such a back. Danso Cuger knows that an investigation will surely come up over this.

The Commander of GRAND CASTLE PRISON, MR. DANIEL MIMAOSE, is almost asleep when his wife, sitting on the bed and trying to read and watch the fight on the small bedroom television, suddenly shakes him awake.

MRS. MIMAOSE
Danny, Danny, wake up, wake up!

The Commander sits up groggily.

COMMANDER MIMAOSE
(sleepily)
What, what? Has the fight started?

MRS. MIMAOSE
(almost weeping)
Look at his back! Look at Chris' back! What did you people do to him?

The Commander squints at the television, and his heart almost jumps out of his chest.

COMMANDER MIMAOSE
(hoarsely)
My good gracious!

He is shivering with shock as he fumbles for his phone and dials.

JON FII
Hello, sir?

COMMANDER MIMAOSE
My good gracious! Fii, are you watching the fight?

JON FII
Yes, Danny, I am.

COMMANDER MIMAOSE
What is this I'm seeing? What happened to Bawa? Was it in my prison?

JON FII
(sadly)
Yes, Danny. I spoke to you once, about my suspicions that the resident police officer, Danso Cuger, and some prison officers are torturing him. I think Cuger denied it.

COMMANDER MIMAOSE
My good gracious! I want a report first thing Monday. I'm setting up a committee to investigate this. You're the Chairman. Report to me in a week!

JON FII
Yes, sir. It will be done.

To be continued.

Read the complete story here - www.youngicee.com/category/the-jailbird

1 Like

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by skubido(m): 4:35pm On Mar 09, 2018
Confirm. Nice wan

Has e dey go so, u dey make my head dey play dada.

Tanks a lot 4d update. Jah bless ya hand work. Wagbayii
Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by skubido(m): 5:54am On Mar 13, 2018
Good morning bro. Hope u are Good? Whn are expecting d next update na?

Have a pleasing day ahead
Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by skubido(m): 8:36am On Mar 15, 2018
Good morning.

Brotherly. Wetin dey happen na?

1 Like

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 6:05pm On Mar 16, 2018
skubido:
Good morning.

Brotherly. Wetin dey happen na?
Sorry, but you can just visit the link below and read the completed story there

www.youngicee.com/category/the-jailbird
Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 6:09pm On Mar 16, 2018

® 18+ SNVL

© Aaron Ansah-Agyeman

Inside the arena the red lights of the 'Champion's Entrance' lights up, and the screens are filled with images of Mike 'The Crankboss' Crankson.

His entourage comes out, all of them dressed in white.

Then a huge rapper comes out rapping about KICKING BUTT.

He is followed by four women wearing only tiny white skirts and halter tops and knee-length white boots.

Crankson emerges, as usual, in white shorts, white fighting shoes, white gloves and a white hoodie.

He is gyrating and prancing around with his eyes wild and his tongue out, his usual style, but today there are no ecstatic applause and screams from the crowd.

There are mainly boos and a few scattered applause.

Nana Bosomtwum is walking rapidly behind his boy.

Once they enter the ring Crankson executes a beautiful mid-air flip and lands in a fighting stance, drawing cursory applause from his fans.

Chris' dark eyes are riveted on Crankson.

He is standing still, and barely moves as the Ghana National Anthem is played.

He barely hears anything else until the ring announcer calls the credits.

RING ANNOUNCER

And now, introducing the Challenger, fighting for the first time in more than a decade, the former undefeated Grandmaster of GojuFist, forty-three fights, no loss, no draw, thirty-nine knockouts, undefeated champion in five different weight classes, ten successful defences of the ultimate Grandmaster belt....the fearsome, the handsome, the one and only Chris, the Daaaaaaaaarling Boooooooy Bawa!!!

The noise levels almost lift the rooftops, the screams continue, the placards wave.

RING ANNOUNCER

And now, the Champion, the current Grandmaster of GojuFist, the finest, the coolest, the undisputed master, fighting out of the red corner, proud record of fifty-fights, forty knockouts, no loss, no draw, the most terrible of bosses, eleven defences of the Grandmaster belt, Mike, the boss of bosses, the Crankboooossss Craaaaaaaannnksoooon!!!

This time there is much more appreciable screaming, applauding and shouting!

RING ANNOUNCER

Now, Ladies and Gentleman, prepare your eyes, don't twitch, don't blink, this is the Rumble of the Titans, the Capo de tutti Capi, boss of bosses, who is who, the amaga of amagas, who reigns supreme today when two gods clash? Let's get ready to cruuuuuushh some heaaaaaaaads!

Crazy sounds! Trumpets, screams, applause, yells!

RING ANNOUNCER

And now, your able referee, Laryea Odamten!

Referee Odamten calls the fighters to the centre of the ring.

The two fighters stand face to face.

Crankson is tall, but a breadth shorter than Chris, but Chris is a bigger man, his muscles and rips finer developed.

REFEREE ODAMTEN

I want a clean fight, trust. Engage when I say, break when I say, trust. Defend yourselves at all times, trust. Don't let me come and get you, trust. Mr. Bawa, Mr. Crankson, bump gloves...we're set, trust.

Chris holds up his gloves, and Crankson crashes his gloves on it.

People leave the ring now, and very soon the two men are alone, and the referee is in the middle.

Wailer Vroom stands outside the ring and speaks to Chris.

WAILER

Go get him, Tiger.

Junior reaches inside the ropes and hugs his father's thigh tightly.

There are tears in his eyes.

JUNIOR

I'm very scared, Daddy. I don't want you to die.

Chris looks down at his son and smiles tenderly.

CHRIS

Champ, I'll finish this quickly and we can all go home, okay?

Junior nods, and then he goes and sits down at the Trainer's Rest with Wailer Vroom.

The bell tinkles.

Crankson moves to the centre quickly.

Chris moves slowly.

Referee Odamten holds down a stiff hand, and then slashes it sideways in the air.

The bell tinkles again.

REFEREE ODAMTEN

GojuFists, fight, trust!

The two men stare at each other.

CRANKSON

I'm gonna retire you forever, old man.

CHRIS

You shouldn't have touched my son. Nobody touches my son.

Crankson is soon a motion of fast blinding movements, spinning for the savage turning kick, but his foot slashes empty air, because Chris is no longer there.

It takes only a minute for Crankson to realize that he has met a master, and that finally, he has met that one man who is quicker, faster and more skilful than he is.

No matter what he tries -- punch, kick, butt, spin, smash -- Chris is always a step ahead, moving, blocking, locking.

He is like air, and so agile and quick that Crankson only sees him in blurs.

KEN KEDEM

My God! Chris is even better than before! Have you ever seen anything like that? It is as if Crankson is fighting a ghost!

Effe smiles a little easier this time.

She had never likef Chris fighting, and had made him stop, but watching him, her heart glows, because it is her man who is exhibiting that magic inside that ring, and drawing all that admiration from the crowd.

Rupert leans forward, barely able to breathe.

RUPERT

(with awed admiration)

Damn! Didn't know he's this marvellous.

Afful shakes his head and leans back.

AFFUL

(indignantly)

Do you still think Micky is gonna kill your man for you, Stevo?

STEVE

(angrily)

Bleep off, Jon! But you're right, it's time to fight for the love of my life, and I'm going to do it.

Steve gets up suddenly, and without a further look at the ring he walks out of the VIP Lounge.

Everyone watches in awe as Chris exhibits the incredible reflexes and skill that they have not seen in a GojuFist fight for a long time.

At long last, panting and beginning to taste the horrible tang of fear and desperation, Crankson stands in a fighting stance and looks at Chris with something akin to absolute panic.

The bell tinkles.

Chris speaks slowly.

CHRIS

Just wanted to show you how a true Grandmaster does it. If you give up now, and do not respond to the second round bell, you'll be disgraced, but you will be whole. If you come for the second round, I'm gonna hurt you bad.

He turns and walks to his corner, leaving a trembling Crankson staring after him.

Crankson goes to his corner.

He sees the fear in the eyes of Nana Bosomtwum.

BOSOMTWUM

What did the bastard say?

CRANKSON

(warily)

He says I can choose not to answer the bell for the second round. If I do he will hurt me.

BOSOMTWUM

(fearfully)

What are you gonna do, Micky?

CRANKSON

(laughing shakily)

Well, I've never been a coward. I can't be one now. He's good, damn good, but I'm going in there. Maybe, in his complacency, he'll give me an opening, and I'll kill him.

The second round bell tinkles.

Chris gets up and moves to the centre of the ring.

Crankson meets him.

CRANKSON

Alright, asshole, let's see what you've got.

What happens next is a blur.

Crankson does not see Chris moving, but he feels the crushing blows... his head, his legs, his ribs, his arms.

Crankson screams with pain as Chris twists and turns, attacking with such relentless brute force that Crankson is reduced to a punching bag, and blood streams from his face and nostrils.

He feels the punishing blows, and moans with a mixture of pain and horror.

Chris spins, sinking a fist in his guts, making Crankson wheeze, and then Chris is in the air, swinging a haymaker that almost tears Mike's head off, and then Chris gracefully turns in the air with a head-crushing side-kick that hurls Crankson into the ropes.

Crankson manages to stand straight, but he is wobbling, and there is blood in his mouth and around his nostrils.

He stares at Chris with his horror complete.

CRANKSON

Yoush shmucking fuckishy brabrashbush shucotip pusharapash!

His lips are so swollen and smashed that his words are not coherent.

There is no mercy on Chris' face.

CHRIS

Nobody hits my son. Nobody!

And then his hands move like pistons, the blows raining down on Mike with terrible precision... fast, hard, damaging, unstoppable!

EFFE

(suddenly alarmed)

Oh, God, Chris is going to kill him!No, Chris-Love! Stop, Baby, Stoooop!!!

Up in the VIP Lounge Eyram jumps to her feet in alarm.

EYRAM

He's killing him! My God, he's killing him!

The crowd is suddenly silenced at such brute punishment.

It is no longer a fight.

It is a torture, a macabre thrashing as primitive as it is beastly.

Nana Bosomtwum looks around for a white towel to throw in, to concede defeat.

A spinning side blow from Chris sends Crankson crashing against the corner, his legs gone, his hands down, unable to defend himself.

Chris goes into his fatality stance, the one he uses to deliver knockouts.

He extends his right hand, crouches a bit low on his left leg, gathering all his brute force into his left fist for a straight chin-crushing explosive punch that no opponent had ever survived.

Referee Odamten tries to stop the fight because it is evident Crankson is gone, and cannot defend himself.

But the referee is behind Chris, and he slips on the canvas and falls.

Nana Bosomtwum throws in a white towel, but it lands behind Chris, and he does not see it in the mist of the fury consuming him.

Effe is screaming, Wailer is screaming... the crowd is silenced as Chris begins to zone in with that deadly left fist.

And then Junior is through the ropes, and suddenly he is standing in front of his father, holding his father’s right thigh, tears streaming down his face.

JUNIOR

(screaming)

DADDY! NO, DADDY, NOOO! THIS IS THE DREAM I SAW! I COULDN'T SEE THE PEOPLE WELL, BUT I SAW THIS PICTURE, DADDY. YOU'LL KILL HIM IF YOU HIT HIM, DADDY!

Chris freezes.

He sees his son through the mist of his murderous fury, and slowly he begins to shake, and that horrible mist of fury slowly leaves his eyes.

Junior now wraps both his arms around his father's legs and weeps silently.

Referee Odamten has gained his feet, and has picked up the white towel, and he moves forward and strikes downward...

Submission!

Chris has won!

He is once again the Grandmaster of GojuFist.

Crankson tries to move, and he crashes to the canvas hard, and remains still.

Chris picks up his son, and hugs him, and Junior hugs him back.

Odamten motions to the doctors to attend to Crankson as he walks up to Junior and pats him on his back.

REFEREE ODAMTEN

Trust, young man, you're as brave as your father, trust! Thank you, thank you very much, trust. That's a great kid you got there, Mr. Bawa, trust.

Junior giggles through his tears.

JUNIOR

What's with him, Daddy, trust? Trust, trust, trust! What's wrong with him, trust?

Father and son both collapse with gales of laughter.

CHRIS

I don't know, trust!

JUNIOR

(giggling)

Trust, he's trustworthy, trust!

This time they scream with laughter.

Wailer Veoom enters the ring, shouting and punching the air with extreme happiness.

There is deafening screaming all around.

Crankson is carried out on a stretcher, still unconscious.

The sound is deafening as Chris' name reverberates around the arena.

He is a hero once more.

The beast is gone, for now, for a moment.

This moment, as he hugs his brave son, and the image is beamed across the continent, Chris Bawa knows only happiness, and he prays deep down, that it will stay that way!

Read more here - www.youngicee.com/category/the-JAILBIRD

2 Likes

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by skubido(m): 9:10pm On Mar 16, 2018
Tanks a lot 4 d update. Nice wan, like as chris show ham..

na only mouth e get.

1 Like

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 11:09am On Mar 21, 2018

EYRAM’S RESIDENCE

BOYS QUARTERS

Chris and Junior walk out hand in hand after Effe.

Junior had spent the weekend with Chris, and he is going back to school.

Effe is going to Takoradi for a UN Seminar.

As usual Junior is holding one of Chris’ big middle finger tightly, and Chris is holding Junior’s school bag.

Effe will drop him off at school before going to pick a private flight to Takoradi.

Junior gives his father a hug, and then he hops into the back of the car.

Effe stands in front of Chris and takes his hands in hers.

She smiles lovingly at him, but in the depths of her lovely eyes lurks a little uneasiness.

CHRIS
I’m going to miss you, Angelface.

EFFE
I’ll miss you more, Chris-Love. But it is only for two days. Seriously you should consider coming to live at my place. This is getting too hard to live with. I need you with me all the time.

CHRIS
(smiling)
I want everything to be perfect, Princess. When you come back I want us to renew our Vows, with new rings, and start our lives on a fresh page.

Her lovely face lights up, and she puts her arms around his neck and draws his head down.

He holds her and kisses her gently.

EFFE
(with tears in her eyes)
This time, Chris-Love, let it be for eternity. I can’t stand any more storms, my love. Please promise me everything will be alright.

Chris takes her face in both hands and kisses her deeply.

For a moment, he is tempted to bring out the exquisite rings he had purchased just two days previously.

They are in a super-cool glass box in his pocket. He almost brings them out and put one on her finger.

But he knows he has to wait. The moment has to be just right for them. He has it all planned out.

He will wait for her to come back, and then there is going to be a very romantic outing for them, and then he is going to make new Vows to her.

CHRIS
I’ll be here waiting for you, my darling. Just hurry back, because every second that I’m not with you my heart dies a little.

She kisses him desperately, passionately, happily.

Junior opens the back door of the car and sticks his head out.

JUNIOR
(indignantly)
I’m going to be really really really late for school if you really really really don’t stop that face-licking thing in front of your little innocent son!

His parents laugh, and Chris opens the door for Effe.

She sits in, winds down the window, and sticks her face out for a final kiss.

Finally, the car moves away, and Chris waves to the love of his life and his son.

Effe fumbles her phone out of her bag to call Eyram who had left quite early for the hospital to attend to an emergency.

Effe has just scrolled to Eyram’s number when her phone suddenly dims and shuts down.

Her battery has run out.

She puts the phone back in her bag and tosses the bag into the back-seat, and the phone rolls out of her bag and lands under the front passenger seat.

As Chris walks back towards the Boys Quarters he shudders suddenly, and looks up into the sky.

It is not a bright sky; it is bleary and scowling, bleeding like a wound, as if it is going to rain.

CHRIS
Come on, Fate, don’t come and jinx me again.

As he climbs the stairs he does not notice that Steve has stepped out from behind the shadow of a Royal Palm where he has been hiding and observing their show of love with the darkest of expressions on his face.

As Steve walks towards the house he grips the yellow hospital folder he is holding tightly.

He climbs the stairs and knocks on the door loudly, and waits.

A moment later the door opens, and Chris stands in the doorway looking at him.

Steve smiles, and it is not a very good smile.

STEVE
(coldly)
Chris Bawa. My own very good friendl. You know, every time I see you I regret bitterly bringing you home with me that vacation to meet my family, and Effe.

Chris leans against the door jamb and crosses his arms across his chest.

He keeps his fury in check as he looks at Steve.

CHRIS
How long are you going to keep all that hate bottled up inside you, Steve? If you had not brought me to her, Effe and I would’ve met her somehow. I know you don’t really love her. I know you’ve been cheating on her. So why don’t you just accept it and move on, Steve? Anyway, would you like to come inside? Can I offer you a drink?

STEVE
(hatefully)
Go f*** yourself, Chris, I’d rather drink with a snake!

Chris’ jaw works and for a moment his teeth grates, but he takes a deep shuddering breath and steps back into the room.

CHRIS
Suit yourself then, Steve.

Steve holds up the yellow folder he is holding quickly.

STEVE
Actually, I came to see if you and I can work out some sort of agreement regarding the custody of my son. Since you and Effe are obviously coming back together don’t you think it’ll be prudent if I take custody of my son?

Chris steps out unto the veranda and regards Steve with pitying eyes.

CHRIS
What the hell are you up to now, Steve?

STEVE
(spitefully)
Junior is not your son, you infertile son-of-a-bitch! He’s my son, and I want him back.

Chris chuckles and shakes his head, and this time there is real pity in his eyes.

CHRIS
Yeah, right, Steve.

He turns to go back into the room.

Steve speaks desperately.

STEVE
(scornfully)
Effe didn’t tell you, right? And neither did Eyram? Well, actually Junior is for Eyram and me. Eyram provided an egg, I provided sperm, it was fertilized in a lab, and carefully put into Effe’s womb.

Chris freezes. He is holding the door handle, and suddenly all the veins stand out on his arms and neck.

For a moment he cannot breathe as he fights for control.

He tells himself that Steve is lying. He tells himself that he has to exercise control, he has to remain calm, but he cannot.

A pain the size of the Atlantic Ocean rips through his heart, and dazedly he turns, and the look of murder in his eyes causes Steve to step back quickly from him.

CHRIS
(coldly)
You bastard! Better get out of here before I break every damn bone in your body! You damn liar!

STEVE
(giggling, but with fear)
Me? A liar? Well, let me tell you a story, Romeo, and open your eyes to a secret that has been kept from you all this while, by a woman you think you’re in love with.

CHRIS
(hoarsely)
Shut the heck up, Steve!

STEVE
Why? Truth hurts? Of course, the truth hurts, so I won’t go into details. Everything is set out in this yellow medical folder. Effe’s gynaec was Dr. Gabriel Anaman, right?

Chris is visibly shaking now. His eyes are half-closed, and suddenly Steve knows that if he doesn’t get it out quickly and leave Chris will kill him in an instant if his pain continues.

CHRIS
(bitterly)
Stop this, Steve, it’s not funny. Whatever sick game you’re playing, I’m not buying it, and I’m not believing you.

STEVE
(giggling)
Suit yourself, Romeo. Whatever happens I’m taking you to court, to claim custody of my son. Effe couldn’t conceive when you two got married. After a year she was still childless. She was scared because she thought she was losing you. She said she saw signs that you were cheating-

CHRIS
(heartbreakingly)

I NEVER CHEATED ON EFFE!!!

STEVE
(shrugging)
Well, Effe thought otherwise. She used to weep all the time. Dr. Anaman told her to try artificial insemination because it seems the foetuses she had with you couldn’t attach to the walls of her womb. You were doing drugs, Chris, and Dr. Anaman thought that maybe the drugs had affected your sperms, giving Effe bad foetuses. Secondly, she was not producing enough eggs, due to some hormonal imbalances. Effe was scared to tell you what the doctor said. She thought you would leave her because you wanted a son so much. So, when Dr. Anaman suggested In Vitro Fertilization, we agreed to help, that is Eyram and myself.

CHRIS
(in agony)
No, no, no, no! Oh, sweet Lord no! You’re lying, by Jove! I don’t believe it!

STEVE
(harshly)
I don’t give two hoots whether you believe it or not! Go and ask Eyram. Doctor Anaman too can confirm it, but he’s in Australia now. You can easily get him. We promised Effe never to tell you. Doctor Anaman extracted eggs from Eyram, and retrieved sperm samples from me. They were manually combined in a laboratory dish, and then he transferred the embryo to Effe’s uterus.

Chris cannot take it anymore.

He is covered with sweat, and he backhands Steve across the face.

Steve falls and scrambles away quickly from the enraged, bitter man.

He can taste blood on his cut lip.

CHRIS
(agonized, dying, in severe pain)
SHUT UP! SHUT THE HELL UP, STEVE! JUNIOR LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE ME! HE’S MY SON!

STEVE
(in terror)
Use your head, Chris! Of course he looks like you. Isn’t there an Akan saying that when you continue ‘watering’ a pregnant woman her baby will look like you after birth? That’s what we did! For you and Effe! Eyram’s eggs, my sperms! Ask Eyram, if you doubt me. Take Doctor Anaman’s old folder. I paid good money to have that folder stolen from the hospital’s archives. Read it! Call Effe, now and ask her! Go on! Don’t beat me, Chris! I’m telling you a secret your Princess has kept from you for eight years!

Chris is trembling with agony.

He takes out his phone and as he dials and puts it to his ear Steve puts the folder down and then he jogs rapidly away, aware that his job is done.

Chris calls and calls, but Effe’s phone is switched off.

Trembling, he calls Eyram’s number again and again. She responds finally in a rushed voice.

EYRAM
(in a rush)
Chris, dearest, can you call back in about ten minutes? I’m in the middle of something very urgent right now.

CHRIS
(screaming)
Is Junior your son? Did you and Steve contribute to the In Vitro Fertilization of Junior?

EYRAM
(stunned, dizzy)
Oh, my God! Chris, where are you? Please let me come over, please.

CHRIS
(screaming)
IS JUNIOR YOUR EGG AND STEVE’S SPERM?

EYRAM
(scared, confused)
Chris! Relax. Tell me where you are and I’ll come-

CHRIS
(screaming)
ANSWER THE QUESTION, EYRAM!

EYRAM
Calm down, Chris. Please calm down.

CHRIS
(screaming harder)

ANSWER ME, EYRAM!

EYRAM
(forlornly)
You don’t understand, Chris. You just don’t understand… yes, it is true, Chris, but there are other aspects you obviously don’t know about. You’re the one Effe loves. She loves you very much, and she didn’t-

Chris screams then and throws his phone away.

He screams as he spins and smashes his leg into the railings of the veranda, and then he smashes a fist into the door, and it flies off its hinges.

As he enters the room crying and screaming and hurt, Baaba’s car turns into the yard, and she drives to the Boys Quarters.

She gets down quickly and races after Chris into the room.

What happens next turns the story around, it just got more exciting, you can read the complete story here - www.youngicee.com/category/the-jailbird

1 Like

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 8:51pm On Mar 29, 2018

THE BAWA RESIDENCE – LATE EVENING
The family is in the living-room having a family discussion.
Reverend Brand Bawa, Mrs. Lois Bawa, Diana, Stan and Ruben Essel are present.

They are thinking about their next meeting with Chris, a move Stan is strongly opposing.
The huge television is on, but the sound has been muted as the family discusses the issues.
Suddenly Mr. Essel bolts up and points at the television screen.

MR. RUBEN
(aghast)
There’s something on the television! It’s Chris!

They all stare at the television screen.

There is a picture of a dark-faced Chris. Above the picture are the words: BREAKING NEWS.

And below the picture are the words: CHRIS IN HOT WATERS AGAIN: ARRESTED FOR BRUTAL ASSAULT AND RAPE OF PRISON OFFICER.

MRS. LOIS
(pathetically)
Oh my Lord! Not again, Chris!

REV BAWA
Let’s hear it, please!

Stan gets up, picks up the remote as the face of the beautiful HEARTBEAT TELEVISION reporter, Kuukua Shaw, fills the screen.
He presses a button, and the volume shoots up.

KUUKUA
…that Mister Chris Bawa, who was recently released from the Grand Castle prison, was arrested this evening at his premises of his sister-in-law, Miss Eyram Kedem, where he has been staying since his release. Information reaching us indicates that Mister Bawa brutally assaulted and raped Miss Baaba Brooks, a Prison Officer at the Grand Castle prison, who had earlier on paid him a casual visit. Mister Bawa was jailed ten years for offences that include attacking his uncle, Mister Ruben Essel, possession of cocaine, drunk driving and knocking down a Miss Adwoa Timtim and causing her to lose her left leg. He was released earlier this year on a full presidential pardon after serving only half of his term, prompting a campaign against him to be taken back to prison, and earning him the nickname ‘The Beast’. It would be recalled that barely a couple of months ago, Mister Bawa was arrested by the police for an alleged assault and unsuccessful rape of Miss Baaba, who later withdrew her charges against him. Mister Bawa recently won the GojuFist Grandmaster belt from former undisputed champion Mister Mike Crankson, and he has also opened up the highly-patronized JUNIOR’S restaurant. Currently Miss Brooks is on admission at the Eden Hospital. We’ll make new developments available to you as we gather them.

Stan throws the remote on the centre table with a contemptuous curl of his lips.

STAN
(angrily)
There, Mama, there is your favourite son! I told you Chris is and will forever be a criminal! There he goes again, once more he’s going to drag our good name through the mud like the pig he is! Daddy, this time, for the love of God, disown him! Tell the world that you don’t want him to use your name anymore! Only God knows how we survived his first scandal. This time it’s going to affect not only us, but the Church, father. The right time to cut him off is now!

DIANA
(shaking her head)
What at all does this boy want? First it was Roland, then all that craziness! God, I hate Chris! I hate him with all my soul!

MRS. LOIS
(chagrined)
Do you hear what you’re saying? He’s your blood, your brother!

STAN
(screaming)
Enough of that already, Mama! Chris has always been different! He’s never been a part of us! Since he was a baby, he’s been different! Arrogant, rude, rebellious, a black sheep! I don’t want anything to do with him! Cut him off, Daddy!

He storms out of the room, and a moment later Diana leaves too.
The Reverend gets to his feet and shakes his head sadly.

REV BAWA
They’re right, Lois. This time Chris has gone too far. He had everything. I even heard Effe has forgiven him and is willing to take him back. And now this? May the Lord be with him, and touch him, if it is possible, but I’m going to cut him off.

MR. RUBEN
(softly)
I agree with you, Brand.

They all leave the room.

Mrs. Lois Bawa stays, and stares at the television, and cries bitterly at the horrors unfolding around her.

AFFUL RESIDENCE

Afful is holding three tall glasses of wine.

He hands one to Steve and the other to Bobo Black.

Elaine turns away from the television beaming with indescribable happiness.

ELAINE
Oh, damn! Isn’t this the happiest evening of my life! Chris is going in for a long, long time this time! Rape? Damn, this is so sweeeeet! I’m going to testify against him if need be! I’m gonna let him rot in prison on this one!

Afful takes a sip of his drink and raises his glass to Steve who is smiling with great inner joy.

AFFUL
Stevo, your play?
Steve drinks and gives a shaky little laugh.

STEVE
(smirking)
Showed him a little folder, pointed him in some places. Hit him with the hardest weapon I had, you know, the love of his son. I knew Effe was leaving town, and gave him a little pointer, you know, hoping he will flip and do something stupid.

AFFUL
(laughing)
He did something grand, Stevo, real grand. Well played, bro, well played.

Bobo Black sets his glass down slowly on the table and gets to his feet. He glares at Steve with baleful eyes.

BOBO
(tightly)
You had a hand in this, Steve?

There is a little silence as the three other people present look at him with sudden apprehension.

STEVE

And what’s your beef, Bobo, if I did?

BOBO
(hissing)
You son-of-a-bitch!

AFFUL
(indignant)
Hey, hey, hey, Bobo, hold it. What’s wrong with you? Guy messed up Crankson, and denied you some bread! You should be happy. This thing will go to trial, Chris will be convicted, and the GojuFist Federation will strip him off the belt, and guess what, it will come back to Micky, and you will be back in business.

BOBO
(softly)
I detest what Chris has done to this girl, but if you had a hand in it then I’m sorely disappointed. That man had it rough in prison. Did you see his back? He tried to make something good with his life. The restaurant is one. Let’s face it, Micky is a damn coyote. Hitting Bawa’s kid was damn shitty. And Bawa did what any father worth his cajones would do… get even. If you indeed did this to him then you don’t warrant any of the respect I had for you guys. Excuse me!

He turns and walks quickly out of the house.

AFFUL
(chuckling)
And now what’s with that fool?

EDEN HOSPITAL – RECEPTION

Eyram is waiting for Rupert.

She had promised to go out with him for dinner.

Since the call from Chris she has been on edge, and all she wants to do is go and look for him.

She does not know what has happened, or how he had found out about the whole In Vitro secret.

She had called him several times, but although the phone keeps ringing he does not respond.

But she had promised Rupert, and lately she feels she has been neglecting him.

She knows Chris and Effe have decided to give their marriage a second chance, and it has dawned on her that she is going to be very lonely, sad and jealous very soon.

She has decided to give Rupert a chance. With him in her life maybe the pain she is feeling will not be so severe in the near future.

It is the receptionist’s shocked exclamation which draws Eyram’s attention to the television.

RECEPTIONIST
(disgusted)
Ei, this man again? This Beast! Aaaaah, doesn’t he ever learn? He should be locked up for life!

Eyram watches the television, and she nearly faints.

She is dizzy, unable to breathe.

EYRAM
(stunned)
My God! Oh, no! Chris!

She gets up and runs towards the door.

The lift doors ding open and Rupert comes out.

He sees her going down the entrance towards the private underground parking lot for senior staff.

RUPERT
Eyram!!!

She does not stop, and he races after her.

When he gets to the parking lot her car zooms out of the entrance.

She is gone.

He throws his arms into the air and purses his lips in exasperation.

TAKORADI

HOTEL TRANQUIL

Effe walks out of the conference room.

A lot of influential personalities in law surround her, talking excitedly.

She had given a talk on corporate law, and her eloquence and immense talent had really impressed them.

She is in a hurry to get to her room to put in a call to Chris and Junior.

She is sure her phone had fallen into her car, or had gotten lost because she could not find it in her bag.

She is going to buy a new phone, but she wants the hotel to place a call for her.

She misses them so much.

She is aware, as she crosses the hotel lobby, of many people staring at her, but she pays no particular heed.

She enters her beautiful and comfortable hotel room and kicks off her shoes.

She rushes to the settee, lifts the handset and is in the process of placing her call when she sees the news on the television.

She falls off the settee.

She stares, horrified, heartbroken, agonized.

Pain… pain… pain!

And then she begins to weep.

The tears are wrenched from deep within her, from the depths of her soul!

Pain. Torture. Agony!

She wishes the floor will crack open and swallow her.

She mourns Chris!

JAILBIRD continues Tomorrow.

We have few episodes left but it’s getting more interesting, if you’ve been enjoying the story, invite someone else to read.

2 Likes

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by skubido(m): 10:09am On Mar 30, 2018
Tanks bro
Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 2:05pm On Mar 30, 2018

® 18+ SNVL

© Aaron Ansah-Agyeman

SLOAN, MENSAH AND KEDEM OFFICES - AFTERNOON

Effe's office door opens.

Her office is huge, replete with all the modern gadgets that a state-of-the-art office should have.

Her desk is U-shaped, made of polished mahogany.

The view out of the window is an exquisite sight of the beach front.

There is a door that leads to a finely-furnished sleeping quarters.

The sitting area is furnished with the best settees and a mini bar.

Three men walk into her office, sharply-dressed in suits.

They are HAMMOND SLOAN, senior and founding partner, ALBERT MENSAH, partner and JEFF ATAKORA, the Public Prosecutor.

Effe has just landed that morning. She had cancelled her participation at the seminar and arrived in Accra.

During the night, she had forced herself to follow the terrible news feed about Chris Bawa.

It is now an international viral news item.

The Beast has fed, and suddenly everybody is in arms.

From the clergy to the judiciary to the ordinary man on the street, the cry is the same: Chris Bawa, The Beast, should be punished to the most rigorous extends of the law possible.

She has finished mourning Chris, and the only feeling she has left is a hatred so strong that it threatens to suffocate her.

She is dressed in a beautiful black dress as she gets up to meet them. She ushers them to the sitting area and sits down primly.

EFFE

Welcome, gentlemen. Can I offer you something to drink?

They all shake their heads.

Sloan and Mensah look very disturbed indeed, but Atakora, who is a bearded, balding severe-looking portly man, looks directly at Effe.

ATAKORA

You know why we're here, Effe.

EFFE

Sloan told me you want us to lead the prosecution in my ex-husband's case, but they declined because of me, and because of conflicts of interest clauses.

ATAKORA

(sadly)

Listen, Effe. Look, the people upstairs want Chris to be locked away and the keys thrown away. He has embarrassed the President for pardoning him, and has done this dastardly thing. I know how difficult this period is for you. I know how much you love Chris-

EFFE

(coldly)

No, you don't, Jeff. I hate him with every single drop of blood in me. I don't want you to talk. I want that case file. I'm going to lead the Prosecution. I'm going to make sure that Chris never sees the outside of a prison wall again.

Her utterances stuns all of them, especially Hammond, who is a personal friend of Chris.

SLOAN

Jesus, Effe! That's absolutely preposterous! You can't do a thing like that! Not to Chris!

EFFE

(contemptuously)

Chris is a pig, Sloan. He could've had everything... EVERYTHING! But he chose to return to the mud, like a pig! He certainly doesn't require any mercy. I'm gonna lock him away, and God help me, I'm gonna take great delight in doing it!

ALBERT

Hey, Effe. Guy is your ex-husband. Talks had been rife that you two are coming together. It ain't right to prosecute him. Judge wouldn't buy it!

ATAKORA

(clearing his voice)

Actually, Judge Tamakloe asked for Effe to be on the prosecution team. He believes Effe can present a perfect case, and to hell with unethical interest. He has made sure seven hard women were on the jury.

SLOAN

(stunned)

Good gracious! You guys are gonna bury him! Come on, Effe! Surely, you're not doing this!

Effe looks at him coldly. There is no spark in her eyes, only the pain.

EFFE

Watch me, Sloan. But first, Jeff, when are we going to court?

ATAKORA

A week. Shouldn't take long as the country expects justice. I'll let the Judge know you accepted then I'll hold a press conference this evening.

EFFE

How's Baaba? Still in hospital?

ATAKORA

Yes, some of her injuries, especially the blows to her ribs, are quite severe, but she should be up and about in a couple of days.

EFFE

Can she talk? Before I accept I'll have to speak to her, but I'll use a lie-detector, if you don't mind.

ATAKORA

I'll set it up.

EFFE

Good. Case file?

ATAKORA

In my car.

Effe stands up and picks up her handbag.

EFFE

Can we go set up my interview with the victim?

Hammond Sloan gets to his feet and approach Effe.

SLOAN

Don't do this, Effe. Look, I'm not going to stop you, if you want to do this, but please consider your son. He loves his father. Doing this to Chris can really affect that poor boy. You want me to handle it, I will, but in the name of God do not prosecute Chris.

Effe looks at him darkly.

For a very brief moment she cannot hide the pain in her soul, the deep agony that is tearing her apart.

For a very brief moment she trembles, and pain suffuses her, and she almost collapses, but she shakes her head and grits her teeth.

EFFE

Junior will be fine, Sloan. He had the misfortune of being the son of a pig. He will live through it, and it will make him strong, so that he doesn't grow up to be like that damn man! Let's go, Jeff.

EDEN HOSPITAL

FEMALE WARD 31

Effe is appalled at the sight of Baaba.

She is propped up in the hospital bed, and her face is badly bruised from where Chris had punched her repeatedly.

Her lips are broken and swollen.

Her hands are bandaged, and her ribs are also bandaged. She speaks with a lot of difficulty.

The lie-detector experts have attached their sensors to her, and the machine is set up.

The man in charge asks Baaba her name and a few test questions which she replies slowly.

Jeff and some police officers and some doctors are in the room too.

Effe sits on the bed and looks at Baaba critically.

EFFE

(sadly)

If Chris has wounded you this terribly, I'm very sorry, Baaba. But I need to hear the truth, and once I confirm it is the truth, I'm going to make sure Chris receives the harshest prison sentence we can mete out to him.

Baaba nods slowly, and tears brim in her eyes.

BAABA

Thank you, Madam.

EFFE

Okay. Can you tell me what happened? If you're too traumatized, I'll understand.

Tears spill down Baaba's bruised cheeks, and a doctor wipes it off with a hankie.

Haltingly Baaba tells her story.

She had seen Chris entering his room. He had called her the previous day to tell her he has a package for Jon Fii, his friend and chaplain at Grand Castle prison.

When she came to the house she saw Chris entering his room, and so she had chased him inside.

BAABA

(tremulously)

I was calling him, shouting out his name. I found him in the kitchen. He had a tube and he was snorting cocaine on the kitchen counter. I was alarmed. I told him to stop it. When he wouldn't stop I brushed the cocaine off the cabinet. He got so mad. Before I realize he punched me and hit me all over. I begged him to stop, and I scratched him and cried, but he wouldn't stop. He tore off my clothes and raped me. When he finished, he was preparing more cocaine on the counter. I picked up one of his dumbbells, the one he uses to exercise, and hit him with it. He fell unconscious and I used my phone and called the police.

She begins to cry as Effe sadly gets up from the bed and approaches Jeff.

EFFE

I read the police report. Chris had cocaine in his bloodstream.

ATAKORA

(nodding sombrely)

Yep. A hell of cocaine in his blood. He was doped solid. Scratches on his face, skin under the girl's nails. She had semen in her vagina, and bruises. Semen and skin matches Chris’ DNA. HE did it, Effe. Guilty as hell. I’m sorry.

Effe shudders.

She breaks down then, and has to walk quickly into the bathroom to wash her face.

Still she cannot stop her tears as the pain tears out her soul.

She hugs herself and slips helplessly to the floor, and her heart breaks again as she weeps bitterly.

When she emerges finally she walks up to Baaba and speaks softly.

EFFE

Just one more thing, Baaba. Before this, have you ever had sexual intimacy with Chris?

Baaba nods.

BAABA

Yes. I slept over at his place once. He was sad, and he was very disturbed that night, and I can't actually remember the date. He was so vulnerable, and before I could help it we had sex. Later I told him I wouldn't make love to him again, because it is a sin, and I want to keep myself for the man I'll marry. He seemed to understand! I like him as a friend, that's all. But.. But...

She cries again, and the doctor moves in hurriedly, a sympathetic look on his face.

DOCTOR

I'm sorry, but that's enough for today, if you don't mind. The patient needs to rest.

Effe turns and walks on dead legs to the lie-detector expert. She looks at him questioningly.

He presses some buttons, and a printer whines, ejecting a long sheet of paper. He holds it and tears it off from the printer along some dotted and perforated lines.

He shakes his head sadly, his lips grim in obvious anger against Chris. He folds the sheet and gives it to Effe.

EXPERT

Every word she said is the truth, madam. That boy needs to go to prison.

Effe wipes a tear from her cheek and puts the sheet in her bag.

EFFE

(crushed)

There’s no room for error? Is it final? Is it the truth, Gospel truth?

EXPERT

No margin for error, please madam. Absolutely true, every word.

Effe trembles perceptively, and then she turns away, totally broken.

She walks towards the door, and Jeff falls into step besides her.

ATAKORA

(concerned)

You okay, Effe?

EFFE

Fine, fine, couldn't be better. What're we up against? Who's representing him?

ATAKORA

Nobody wants to represent him. I heard he tried to hire some lawyers, but everyone is staying away from him. They’re protecting their reputation. It will be absolutely tragic to rep a guy like Chris in a case like this. The hatred for Chris Bawa right now is so damn high. But I forced a guy called Ben Buabasah to rep him. New from law school, mad as hell for being asked. He'll play ball.

EFFE

(coldly)

Good. Very good.

When she goes out of the hospital she puts in a call to Steve, and asks him to meet her at her parents' residence.

The lie detector confirms Baaba Brooks words as true. Could it be that Chris is guilty as accused?

JAILBIRD continues Tomorrow

Read the complete story here - www.youngicee.com/category/the-jailbird

3 Likes

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 7:27am On Apr 01, 2018

® 18+ SNVL

© Aaron Ansah-Agyeman

CENTRAL POLICE STATION
Effe is ushered into the dim interior of the cold room.
The room is divided into five booths.

There are high-backed chairs in front of each booth, and on the little metallic protrusion in front of the booth is a telephone receiver.

The kind-faced policeman who is with Effe walks forward and pulls one of the chairs back, and motions to Effe to sit down.

POLICEMAN
(gently)
Please have a seat, madam.

Trembling with the depths of her acute distress, Effe sits down.

A glass partition allows her to see into the other room.

A door at the far end of the room beyond the partition opens, and Chris comes in.

His hands are handcuffed behind him.

Following him are three huge policemen.

His handsome face is still a little bit swollen from the deep scratches Baaba has inflicted on him.

Effe sees that his scars are indeed very deep.

He walks forward slowly and sits down. One of the policemen steps forward and puts a key into a hole in the handcuffs, and unlocks it.

The other two cops are a little bit behind, and their guns are drawn.

Effe and Chris stare at each other.

Effe is in a pain that is as terrible as it is physical, threatening to tear her heart apart.

In his eyes is a look of resignation, a look of defeat, a look of hopelessness.

She fights back her tears, but still she feels a trail of tears sizzling down her cheeks, hot and filled with the acid pain from her soul.

She picks up the receiver.

He looks at her for a moment, and then he also picks up the receiver at his end.

EFFE (tremulously)
Did you make love to Baaba?

Chris sees how hurt she is, and for a moment he can barely look at her, but he speaks softly.

CHRIS
(emotionlessly)
Yes, Effe, I did.

Her mouth falls open, and she is instantly consumed with a shattering pain that she cannot control.

When she speaks it is with the voice of a woman hurt beyond the realms of the mind.

EFFE
(shattered)
I loved you, Chris Bawa. Five years ago I saw you making love to my friend, my bridesmaid. I had every reason to find myself a man and live my life. For five years I waited, without giving my body to any man. Even when you signed the divorce papers, I still waited, because deep down I knew there was only one man for me, and you were that man. And after five years, you go ahead and make love to Baaba! I was ready to forgive everything, to love you, to stay with you, to go through hell for you. I sacrificed everything to love you, to respect you, to walk hand in hand with you. And what do you do? You did what you do best! You went right ahead and made love to a woman who accused you of rape! I'm hurt! I am jealous! I am in the deepest pain of my life. You had it all! Our life was complete! Junior fought for you, lived for you, and now you're going to simply hurt that little boy again, like you've hurt me again. Mr. Chris Bawa, oh, Chris! You should just have kicked Baaba out! Now look, you are back again in the arms of trouble! Why, Chris? In the name of our dear Lord, why, Chris, why?

Chris looks at her. He feels her pain, because he is in even more pain.

He has hurt her, yes, but God knows he is hurt more.

He wants to ask her, to scream at her, to know if Junior is indeed the product of some test tube, a son created from reproduction substances from Eyram and that damn Steve!

But he is afraid. He cannot ask. He does not want to know.

He is in trouble, yes, but he wants peace. He will not speak.

No one wants him now. Prison will be great. He will have his peace to fight again.

He will live again, but right now he doesn't want to know, because knowing will stop his breath, and knowing will break his heart so that he cannot breathe again.

EFFE
The Public Prosecutor asked me to represent the State in the case, Chris. The Judge, the Jury, the damn country are all against you. You will get a maximum sentence, at least not less than twenty-five years, Chris. But give me something to hold on to. I questioned Baaba with a lie detector equipment, and everything she said came out as the truth. But I'm asking you now, Chris, give me something to hold on to. Tell me you didn't rape Baaba, tell me you didn't use cocaine, tell me she is a liar, and I swear I will drop the case and represent you, because I want you back. Tell me that, Chris. Tell me now! Otherwise if I go out of here I'm going to prosecute you, because I can't have Junior near a father who is a rapist, and who uses cocaine. When I leave here, and you're prosecuted, I'm going to take Steve and marry him. I don't love him. I'll never love him, but he loves me, and maybe that is enough. I'm going to do my best to forget you, Chris. But don't do this to me! Please, for the love of God, Chris, tell me you're innocent. Tell me you didn't do it! Tell me Baaba framed you, and I'll stay with you. Tell me that, Chris! Please, please pleeeeeaaase tell me that! Give me something, anything, Chris-Love!!! Tell me you’re innocent!

Chris looks at her, and slowly he drops his head, so that she does not see the tears in his eyes.

CHRIS
What's the use, Effe, what's the use? Maybe you and I are just not meant to be together.

He is trembling as he slowly puts the receiver down and stands up.

He begins to walk away.

Effe screams his name again and again, but he does not turn.

The policemen put the handcuffs on him again, and they march him out of the room.

Effe, weeping uncontrollably, flees from the room.

Effe is a broken woman.

She hurls her handbag at her car as her tears throttle her.

One of the car's windows shatters. Effe knows she is losing her mind. The pain is too much, too acute, too murderous.

She forces herself to breathe, to stop herself from going mad.

EFFE
It is over Chris. Finally. Forever. I'm going to move on from here. Goodbye, Chris. Goodbye, forever.

KEDEM RESIDENCE

When Effe turns into the driveway to her father’s East Legon house, she is not surprised to see the entrance to the house lined with so many reporters.

They have set up their equipment and vehicles and are loitering around with some making live transmissions.

She drives forward slowly, and suddenly they swarm around her car like ants drawn to sugar.

She stops behind the huge silvery gates of her father's house, and instead of blowing her horn for the gate man to open the gates, she stops the car and gets out.

Immediately camera flashes almost blind her, and microphones are thrust into her face by vociferous and hungry press people.

She looks at them passively, impassively, and ignores their questions.

She does not move, and she does not utter a word until it dawns on them that they cannot pressurize her into doing their bidding.

Slowly the noise dies down, and a few minutes later there is total silence.

EFFE
(crisply)
It is a bad period for my family, and the family of Mr. Chris Bawa. What he has done will be proven or otherwise in court. Yes, I've accepted the Public Prosecutor's offer to lead the prosecution against my ex-husband, and I'm going to do it to the best of my capabilities. The case goes to trial in a week, so if you will excuse me, I have a lot of work to do. Thank you.

They throw a barrage of questions at her, but she steps through the smaller gate, and it is shut behind her by the anxious gate man.

Effe is dizzy. Her heart is pounding, and for a moment she feels the ground spinning, but she girds up her hatches and walks unsteadily towards the main entrance.

The door opens and Steve, dressed in jeans and a batakari, comes out to meet her.

Trembling, she falls into his arms, and he holds her close and murmurs into her ears.

STEVE
(tenderly)
Sorry, my love. It's okay. Everything is going to be just fine.

After a moment she steps back from him and smiles bravely.

EFFE
Let's go inside, Steve. I have an announcement to make.

As they walk to the door Steve gives a secret smile. He has never been this happy.

He knows that everything is just going to be alright. He has won. Chris Bawa is gone... forever.

Effe finds her parents and Eyram and Junior in the living-room.

Junior races to her, and she can see from the look on his face that he has cried a lot, and that he is in great agony. She goes on her knees and hugs him tightly.

He breaks into tears immediately, and she forces herself to accept the pain of her son, and pray to God to give her the strength to go through the hard minutes she has to face right now.

JUNIOR
(heartbroken)
Mommyyyy! The police took Daddyyyy! I want Daddyyyy! I want to see Daddyyy! Please please please I really really really want to see Daddyyyyyy!!!

Effe puts him away gently from her and looks deep into his eyes, and she fights back her own tears as her heart beats with such pain for him.

EFFE
(gently)
Listen, Junior, your Daddy did something really bad-

JUNIOR
(screaming)
NO! DADDY WILL NOT GO TO PRISON! HE PROMISED ME! HE WILL NOT DO ANYTHING WRONG!!

EFFE
(sharply)
Listen to me! He did something really bad! I'm very sorry, my son, for your pain. I wish I can take it away, but I can't. I'm so sorry you have to go through this, but your Daddy is going back to jail, my son, and you have-

JUNIOR
(screaming)
NO, NO, NO, NOOOOO!!! YOU'RE BEING REALLY REALLY REALLY MEAN TO DADDY! HE WON'T DO ANYTHING TO HURT ME!

EFFE
(shouting)
Goddamn it, Junior! Shut up and listen-

But Junior wrenches himself free from her and runs screaming into the rooms.

Eyram runs after him.

Effe gets up, breathing hard, her face torn with the depths of her pain.

IVY KEDEM
(tenderly)
It's okay, my dear. Please, take it easy. I knew that brute was going to break your heart again.

Effe moves to stand beside Steve, and she puts her hand in his and looks forlornly at her parents.

EFFE
(forcing a smile)
He's done treating me like this, Mom. I've accepted to lead the prosecution against him. It shouldn't be a long trial. As soon as the trial is over, I'm going to marry Steve.

IVY KEDEM
(clasping hands to her bosom)
At last, my darling. You should've done it a long time ago. I'm very happy. I'll be your support. I'm solidly behind you.

Ken Kedem steps forward. He looks suddenly old, and he looks at his daughter with a mixture of compassion and repressed dismay.

KEN KEDEM
(softly)
First rule, my princess. A man is innocent until proven guilty. I love you, and I'll always support your decisions, but I think that in the midst of all this, with the pain in your heart, you're making some really rash decisions. Are you seriously going to lead the prosecution against Chris? That's absolutely unethical, and I don't know why Judge Annor Ossom is allowing it. Can you really live with your conscience afterwards, knowing you sent your son's father to jail?

IVY KEDEM
(indignantly)
Leave her be, Ken!

EFFE
(coldly)
He's a beast, Dad, a real beast! And yes, I'm going to send him to prison if it’s the last thing I ever do!

Eyram has returned to the room, and she had heard what Effe just said.

She walks forward and stands in front of her sister.

She looks at Effe's intertwined hands with Steve, and she shakes her head, her eyes mean.

EYRAM
(coldly)
I'm not surprised, Effe. Not surprised at all. It has always been like this, hasn't it? You've never really ever believed the man you married, and you've never ever trusted him! You keep making the same mistakes, believing others over the one person you claim you love. I think you should have your head examined. You are pretty messed up or under some crazy spell or curse or something very awful.

Effe takes a step towards her sister, and her wounded eyes are like daggers.

EFFE
(icily)
You stay out of this, Rammy. You know what that beast did! You, of all people should know that I forgave him, and gave him a chance. First it was Elaine, now Baaba, who will it be next? When will he stop? Maybe, next time it will be you, or even Mom! Don't you dare judge me, Rammy, because you know nothing of the pain I'm going through here!

EYRAM

(angrily)

Pain? Do you think you know pain? Believe me, you know nothing about pain! You should know, the first thing you should know, is that you have to trust your man, at all times. Tell me, dear sister, have you been to see Chris? Have you bothered to ask him what went wrong?

Effe angrily reaches into her handbag, brings out the lie-detector printout and hurls it at Eyram's face.

EFFE
(painfully)
I’m coming from the police station, and yes, I spoke to him. That's a printout of the lie-detector session I had with Baaba! Everything, EVERYTHING, she said is the truth! I asked Chris to deny it, so that I’ll drop the case and represent him, but he just stood up and left because he’s guilty! Why bother about Chris' lies? He is sick, Rammy! He's a damn pervert! And I'm not going to take any more of his bullshit! Just go to the hospital and see what he did to that poor girl!

EYRAM
(angrily)
What about what she did to him? That girl was all over him, throwing herself at him, sleeping with him! Do you know she spent the night with him some time ago making love?

EFFE
(angrily)
Yes, yes, I do! Even when he came back and I'm all torn up with guilt and worrying over him, he was busy sleeping around with her and how many other girls? He had a relationship with Elaine before he met me. Do you know that? And yet, years later, when he wanted to make love to Elaine and she refused, what did he do? He raped her, and I witnessed it! He slept with Baaba and so he thought he could have her any day and anytime he wished, and when she said no, again what did he do? He raped her, Rammy! Don't you stand there and give me that sentimental crap about Chris Bawa!

EYRAM
(shaking her head)
You never listened to anything I told you the other time, did you? Let me repeat it, my dearest, dumb, Effe Kedem. Chris Bawa has no reason ever to rape any girl!

EFFE
(in a fierce angry whisper)
And why the hell not?

EYRAM
(softly)
Because, dear sister, your husband can have any woman he wants!

Ken Kedem puts a hand on Eyram's arm to draw her back.

KEN KEDEM
That's enough, you two! Break it up this instant!

Effe is staring at Eyram.

She is stunned, and she can barely breathe.

She feels cold all over, and goose bumps stand out on her hands as she looks at Eyram with absolute shock.

She tries to speak, but the words does not come out. She is so dazed by the truth that she begins to tremble.

Finally, she speaks in a hoarse whisper.

EFFE
My dear Lord, Rammy! You love him, don't you?

JAILBIRD continues

Read More here - www.youngicee.com/category/the-jailbird

1 Like

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 11:17am On Apr 02, 2018
The Jailbird Episode 64

® 18+ SNVL

© Aaron Ansah-Agyeman

There is absolute silence in the room as Eyram tries to speak, but instead tears of anguish well up in her eyes and spill slowly down her cheeks.

Her lips tremble, and she raises a trembling hand to her cheeks and brushes her tears away unsuccessfully.

EYRAM

(heartbreakingly)

We're twins, Ef. I've never envied you for anything, and I've always wished you well. The only thing I have ever wanted, and envied you for, is Chris. I know it is sick, and I know it is bad, incestuous even, and so I've fought it, and hidden it. But yes, today I plead with you, as a twin sister only can, by the special bond we share, that don't do this to Chris, please. You may have a choice with Steve, but yes, I love Chris.

IVY KEDEM

(screaming)

EYRAMMMMMM! ARE YOU MAD??

STEVE

(shaking his head)

Wow.

Ken Kedem does not speak.

Effe raises trembling fingers to her lips, and she takes an unsteady step forward. She looks deeply into Eyram's eyes, and when she speaks her voice trembles.

EFFE
(painfully)
Have you slept with Chris, Rammy?
Eyram does not bat an eye. She returns her sister's look.

EYRAM
(softly)
No. Chris did not want to. He loved and respected you too much to stoop that low.

EFFE
(trembling)
RAMMY!! YOU tried to seduce Chris?

EYRAM
Yes, dear sister, and not only once.

Effe's hand flies out, and she slaps Eyram across her right cheek.

The sound is nasty, causing her parents to scream with shock.

The slap makes Eyram take a step back, her head spinning.

Steve grabs Effe and holds her tight.

Effe's hand is outlined plainly on Eyram's tender skin now.

EFFE
(passionately)
Get out of my sight, Eyram! Get out of my sight before I kill you! GET OUT! GET OUTTTT!!

Eyram picks up her bag and slings it across her shoulder.

Her tears are flowing hotly now.

IVY KEDEM
(disdainfully)
My God, Eyram! How could you? That's disgusting!

KEN KEDEM
(sadly)
No, baby, darling, no!!

Eyram raises her head and looks at them.

EYRAM
I'm not sorry about my love for Chris. I don't think Effe loves him. I'll tell you all this, if Effe manages to get him locked up in prison, I'm going to be with him. Do you hear me, Effe? If you marry Steve, I'll take Chris!

Effe tries to get at her sister again. She is screaming and her hands are out, but Steve holds her tightly.

Without another word Eyram leaves the house.

GOLGOTHA HEIGHTS INTERNATIONAL CHURCH – SUNDAY

It is the Sunday before the famous trial begins.

It has been a week of uproar in the nation.

The news and the impending trial has gripped the nation by the throat, and has even attracted international audiences.

The fact that an ex-wife is leading the prosecution has raised a whole lot of debates during the week.

Whilst some people see it as something good to send a message of warning, others are of the view that it is unethical and dangerous.

The suspicious see it as a way of aiding a hardened criminal to go scot free.

As the debate continued, Judge Annor had had no option than to announce that proceedings are going to be carried live on television for everybody to witness, and this had settled the uproar, and now people are looking forward to the trial with real anticipation.

Discussions rage on television, radio and social media. Most newspapers are churning out daily updates.

The fever has gripped the whole nation, and although everybody knows it will be a short court case, they still wait patiently, interested only in the number of years that the judge will hand down to Chris Bawa.

Judge Ossom Annor has remanded Bawa in cells, and he is not allowed any visitors.

That faithful Sunday the press descends, without mercy, on the church premises.

Curious members of the public also attend church, and so the church auditorium is filled to capacity.

The Bawa family has not made any public pronouncements on the issue, and so the press has come to church to see if the man of God will say something about the furore surrounding his youngest child.

Effe, Steve, Afful and Elaine are sitting at their usual places. Junior, who has been with his grandparents ever since the sad news broke out, sits still besides his grandfather in the middle row, and he makes no attempt to go to his mother, as he usually does, and this single act hurts Effe very much.

Eyram is also in church, but surprisingly she sits very far away from Effe, and does not even look in her direction, which other members of the congregation who know them find very strange.

For several years the twins have always sat together in church; they have been that inseparable.

After the Bible Studies, there was time for testimonies, and then there was worship, and praises, and now it is time for the man of God to preach.

The Reverend Brand Bawa, resplendent as always in a superb wine suit and white shirt, mounts the podium.

His expression is that of deep regret and sorrow.

Around that same time Junior gets up to go to the gents, and his grand-father gets up to go with him.

The reverend looks pious and wise as he stares emptily into the air for a moment, and then he sighs and adjusts the microphone downward a bit.

REV BAWA
(sad and hurt)
I might as well get this over with before I continue. All of you know that my youngest son, Mr. Chris Bawa, has been arrested again for a very heinous crime against an innocent young woman.

There are great sighs in the auditorium, and all sounds die down. Junior stops suddenly and turns to face the pulpit.

Ken Kedem tries to take his hand and lead him away, but the boy draws his hand back and stare up at the man of God.

REV BAWA
I have loved that boy, and I've done all that a father could do, and more. I've prayed, fasted and gone down the road of ashes for him. Alas, drugs and alcohol continue to rage through the veins of that boy, and it has come to a point where I can only sustain him in prayers. I've asked the good Lord to touch that boy's heart, and bring him home, if it is the will of the Lord. Until then, we as a family, regretfully wish to inform you that we have asked him to stop using our surname. Chris, he is called, but we are unable at this time, in the face of this atrocity, to allow him to use the name BAWA.

There is rapturous applause from the congregation.

CONGREGATION
God bless you, Father!

CONGREGATION
We support you, Father!

CONGREGATION
Long overdue! May the Lord heal him!

And there are other cries of support from the congregation as the applause goes on.

The journalists are having a field day. Their cameras had been recording, and now they snap away, taking numerous pictures.

And then, as the man of God holds up one hand, and uses a handkerchief to wipe tears of sorrow from his eyes, he looks down, and sees Junior standing in front of the pulpit, looking up at him.

There are microphones lying on the raised podium, left there by people who had given testimonies and sang to the glory of God.

The podium is a bit raised, and so with Junior standing on the floor just in front of the raised part, the microphones, still turned on, are roughly in direct alignment to his mouth, and so when he speaks the microphones carry his words through the speakers, and everybody in the church hears him loud and clear.

JUNIOR
(pitifully)
Are you saying my Daddy is no longer your son, Grandpa?

His unsteady voice, filled with unshed tears, carry round the church, stunning everybody into silence.

Effe stands up, aghast, and tries to get out of the seats to get to her son.

The man of God looks at the little boy, and Mrs. Lois Bawa puts a hand to her heart.

REV BAWA
(gently)
I didn't say that, Junior. That's not how I meant it.

JUNIOR
(voice trembling)
No, you did! You did, Grandpa! Sunday School teacher says we shouldn't lie, but you're lying now. You're really really really lying now!

KEN KEDEM
(shocked)
That's enough, Junior!

He tries to hold the boy's arm, but again Junior shrugs free.

JUNIOR
That means I'm also not your grandson, isn't it?

REV BAWA
(appalled)
No, no, no, no! Junior, I love you, I'll always love you. It's not as you're taking it!

JUNIOR
(weeping now)
You're still lying, Grandpa! Sunday School teacher says Jesus went to look for the lost sheep that got lost! It's one of my really really really favourite stories! Jesus looked for the sheep until he found it and brought it back to the herd, see? Sunday School teacher says the sheep is like sinners, okay? So, Jesus looks for sinners! You know what I think, Grandpa? I think if you've been Jesus you would've left that lost sheep and you never would've looked for it and you’ll have just said it is not your sheep again and you’ll pray for it to come back home! But I know you can’t pray for lost sheep to come home. Just like Jesus you have to search for it in really really really awful places before you can find it and bring it home. You’re not like Jesus! You just want to leave that lost sheep to die!

The boy is hurt, and he is weeping, and he standing stiffly and speaking, and as his voice carries through the church it touches hearts, and it freezes everyone.

The reverend Brand Bawa slowly drops his hand, and on his face is a look of stunned incredulity.

Stan Bawa stands up, quite embarrassed by the whole spectacle, and quite angry with the little spoilt brat who has never been held in check.

He glares down at Junior and speaks in harsh angry tones.

STAN
(fiercely)
Now stop that nonsense, Junior! This is adult talk, and you're too young to understand! Stop being so impertinent! Go back to your seat right now.

And then Junior points a tiny accusing finger at his uncle, and his little face is filled with such passionate emotion as his tears fall, that it rattles Stan greatly.

JUNIOR
I know it is you, Uncle Stan! I know Grandpa would never never never really really really have said that my daddy is not his son if it hadn't been for you! You've never really really really ever ever liked my Daddy! I know it is you who suggested this! You don't like my Daddy, Aunt Diana does not like my Daddy, Grandma Lois does not like my Daddy, Grandpa Brand does not like my Daddy! Why, Uncle Stan? Why do you hate my Daddy?

Stan cannot utter a word.

He is stunned that the little boy can pinpoint so accurately that he has been the instigator of the man of God disowning his last son.

Sweat suddenly forms on Stan's face and fall down his face, and in his shame he takes out a huge handkerchief and wipes his face.

In the next episode, Effe goes against Chris in Court.

JAILBIRD continues

Read more episodes here - www.youngicee.com/category/the-jailbird

1 Like

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by skubido(m): 2:58pm On Apr 02, 2018
Hmmmm
Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 6:34am On Apr 05, 2018
Episode 65
® 18+ SNVL
© Aaron Ansah-Agyeman

Effe has reached her son.

She reaches out and takes his hands in hers. She is deeply disturbed.

EFFE
(tremulously)
Junior, my prince, please, that's enough. We all love your Daddy. It's just that-

JUNIOR
(sadly)
If you really love Daddy then you should really really really love him, Mommy!

Effe goes still. Her breath catches in her throat.

EFFE
(choking)
Oh, my Prince!

JUNIOR
(gently)
I love you, Mommy. But I'll not be called Hollison. If Grandpa doesn't want us to use his name, Daddy will give me another name. Can I go home with Aunt Rammy today, please?

He does not wait for her to answer.

Tears drench Junior as he races towards the exit.

His little legs are unsteady as he runs blindly, his throat making choking sounds as his little heart breaks with pain and confusion and bitterness.

His little arms are held out, and his legs are so wobbly in his grief that he almost falls.

Eyram stands up and quickly moves into the aisle, and she get down on her knees and holds out her arms, and Junior collapses against her, bawling his heart out.

Effe's stunned eyes meet those of her sister and she cringes inside at the look of sudden ferocious dislike in the depths of Eyram's eyes.

She watches, weak with emotional torture, as Eyram picks up her son and walks out with him.

Dear Lord! Dear sweet, Lord! I'm losing my son... I'm losing my dearest son!

For a moment Effe trembles and her legs almost give way beneath her, but Ken Kedem puts an arm comfortingly around her.

The Reverend Brand speaks then, softly and gently.

REV BAWA
You're doing the right thing, Effe. Never despair. God rules, and I know He is going to touch Chris' heart! Now, please sit down, and let us prepare our hearts and listen to the word of God.

Somehow, although his preaching is as usual powerful and deeply-spiritual, it does not penetrate as deeply into the hearts of his congregation as it normally does.

CENTRAL POLICE STATION

The room is bare except for a table and two chairs behind it.

Chris' face is still swollen, and he has deep gouge marks on his face where Baaba had scratched him.

He is wearing a pair of jeans and a cross-stripped shirt.

His hands are handcuffed in front of him, and they are lying on the desk.

There is a single naked bulb above, but no fan.

The room is stinky and very hot, causing sweat to pour off him in torrents.

The door opens and two men come in.

One is a sneering Chief Inspector Danso Cuger, and the other is a young-looking handsome man who is very dark in complexion.

The man is in a black suit and a pink shirt, with no tie. His shirt is open at the neck, and he is holding a dark green paper file.

He has a little pot-belly, and his face is a bit florid like he enjoyed the occasional bottle of drink.

He does not sit on the other chair available, but rather slams the file on the desk and glares at Chris with all the contemptuous disgust he can muster.

BUABASAH
(angrily)
My name is Ben Buabasah, and I've been forced to represent you in court by the Public Prosecutor. Apparently, no lawyer wants to represent you even at a high price because you’re a hated man, the Beast, that the whole country hates. I'm supposed to be interviewing you today to find out how best I can represent you, but guess what? I don't give a shit! I hate being forced to defend you. Well, as the saying goes, you can force a horse to go to the riverside, but you can't force it to drink. So, let me put my cards on the table. I think you're a spineless piece of cow dung! Even your father disowned you in his church today. If your own father has pronounced you guilty for the whole world to see, how do you expect me to defend you? Listen, Mr. Bawa, I'm not going to defend shit! I think you're guilty and deserve to be locked up for a lifetime! However, since it's important that you get a lawyer, I've been appointed to represent you. But I'll tell you that you're going back to prison, where you belong! I'll be in court, but don't count on me! Good day, Mr. Chris!

He picks up the file, turns and storms angrily out of the room.

Danso Cuger laughs and then he puts his hands on the table, bends and blows cigar smoke into Chris' face.

CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
Guess what, Chris-Pussy, you're coming back to prison, and boy, am I going to set up a wonderful reunion package for you!

CHRIS
This time round, Cuger, I’m gonna poke out your other eye. Be prepared for blindness, motherfucker!

Cuger chokes on his laughter, and when Chris makes a quick movement forward Cuger dashes backwards with a grunt of fear, trips and lands hard on his butt.

Chris' deep laughter fills the room as Cuger stands up and hurriedly leaves the room.

HIGH COURT

The huge courtroom is packed, every single seat taken.

There is murmuring as the crowd waits patiently.

Only the national television station has been allowed to cover the proceedings for the country but other stations have been given the rights to carry the feed from Ghana Television.

Five cameras have been fixed, covering every angle of the courtroom.

The Prosecution Team is seated. They are made up of Effe Kedem, Jeff Atakora and Albert Mensah.

The eleven-member jury is also seated. They look really grim and absolutely competent.

The bailiffs, orderlies and clerks are all dressed and seated. The court clerk is a grey-haired buxom lady whose hair is tied in a bun on top of her head, and she is making final adjustments to her computer.

The courtroom artist is in a seat just behind the clerk, and he has already sketched the jury.

Suddenly a little side door near the witness stand opens, and two policemen come out.

Behind them is Chris Bawa.

He is wearing a black T-shirt and black jeans, and his hands are handcuffed in front of him.

There is a sudden angry uproar in the courtroom as he moves forward, and behind him are two more policemen and his lawyer, Ben Buabasah.

As they approach the Defence seat he pauses and stares at Effe.

Effe turns slowly and meets his eyes.

He sees the acute bitterness around her lips. He sees no love there, no recognition, no tenderness.

Effe has indeed written him off, and he is no longer in her life.

Effe sees the shock in the depth of his eyes, and she sees the light slowly fading from them, and then finally she sees the deep lines of pain that has suddenly filled his face.

Her heart tears apart. She fights violently for breath, for strength and for the courage to carry on.

This is how it has to be; he is The Beast, and he does not deserve love. He does not deserve to live with humanity.

She turns her head away, and Chris moves on and takes a seat amidst the boos and shouts from the crowd.

Buabasah gives Chris a real dark look as he sits down beside him.

As the chattering in the court room grows louder another door behind the Judge's stand open, and a grim-faced Judge OSSOM ANNOR enters.

COURT ORDERLY
(screaming)
Court riiiiiiiise!

Everybody stands.

Judge Ossom mounts the dais, enters his box and takes a seat. He motions to them to get seated, and everybody does.

Absolute silence reigns as the Judge removes his glasses and puts the tip of one stem in his mouth, and looks at Chris with the fiercest eyes ever.

Chris returns his gaze calmly.

Judge Ossom puts his glasses down and nods.

The case, THE STATE VERSUS CHRIS BAWA, is called.

Judge Ossom looks at the neat little folder in front of him and opens it slowly.

JUDGE OSSOM
(icily)
I welcome you all. Jury, Prosecution and Defence. I also welcome the general public here. You must all note that, due to the circumstances surrounding this case, we have allowed live coverage on national television. Now, let me sound a note of caution to the spectators we have here. I'll not condone any unruly behaviour, and if I see it fit to remove any one from this courtroom, believe me, I'll do so without hesitation. I expect silence and decorum from you. Do I make myself clear?

He looks around meaningfully, and save for a low murmur through the room, no one speaks , and absolute silence reigns again.

JUDGE OSSOM
Good. Now, I welcome you all here. The accused, Mr. Chris Bawa, is charged with raping Miss Baaba Brooks under Sections 97 and 98 of the Criminal Offences Act 1960, Act 29. Under Section 97 of this Act, if the accused is found guilty, he will be guilty of first degree felony and shall be liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term of not less than five years and not more than twenty-five years.

There is an excited murmur in the room.

COURT ORDERLY
(shouting)
Orrrrder! Orrrrrder!!

Silence reigns again.

JUDGE OSSOM
We will now take the Opening Statements of the Prosecution and the Defence.

Ben Buabasah stands up and pulls his lapels close, and he speaks slowly but clearly.

BUABASAH
Your Honour, ladies of the jury, the Defence will not make any opening statements.

He sits down. There are two empty chairs between him and Chris. Evidently, he does not want to be near Chris.

JUDGE OSSOM
Thank you, Counsel. Lawyer Kedem?

Effe stands up slowly.

She is dressed in a most beautiful blue-black skirt suit, and she looks very gorgeous indeed.

Sitting at the upstairs first row, Afful digs an elbow into Steve's ribs.

AFFUL
Now that's what I call a good ***! Shit, won't mind hitting it!

STEVE

(hissing)

In your dreams, ***hole!

Effe walks forward until she is facing the grim-faced jury.

There is absolute silence as all eyes are fixed on her.

For several minutes she tries to speak, but nothing comes out. She begins to tremble, and then she turns slowly and looks at Chris.

When their eyes meet, time stands still. They have eyes only for each other. In that space of time their pain is shared, and their tortured souls reach out for relief.

And then something uncanny happens: at precisely the same moment tears come to their eyes, and at precisely the same moment they speak in perfect unison.

CHRIS
Angelface!

EFFE
Chris-Love!

And then they are moving... frantically, painfully, tortured, agonizingly!

Blindly they reach out for each other, but Chris’ hands are cuffed so he cannot hold her.

Effe’s arms encircle his waist as he raises his arms and places them on her shoulders.

Their tears fall harder now, but it is not with pain this time.

It is the happiness of two souls who have descended from the bliss of heaven to the horrors of hell...and found their way back.

It is a unifying of hearts, a language of love on a level only true hearts understand.

And then, right there on national television, with everyone and everything frozen, their lips meet.

They taste their tears, and they taste their joy, and they taste love.

It is a violent kiss, and a tender one, and simply life!

And Steve stands up and rushes from the court.

Eyram looks down, and tries to still the sudden twist of pain in her heart.

EFFE
(touching his wet face)
Oh Chris-Love! My soul, my heart! Forgive me, please! I couldn’t take it! I thought I could hate you back for breaking my heart with that Baaba thing. I thought I could prosecute you and put you away so that you can't hurt me anymore. You killed my soul when you told me that maybe we're not meant to be together. But I just can't! I can't unlove you, Chris-Love!

CHRIS
(tremulously)
My Angelface, my breath, my air...it’s my fault! I hurt you when I cheat! You married me a virgin, oh Lord why do I hurt you so? I know you’ve known no man except me. Forgive me, Angel. No matter what, from this moment, I promise with my present tribulation, there’s not going to be anyone but you!

EFFE
Oh, Chris-Love! That’s all I’m asking for. Nothing more! Yesterday your son told me to really really really love you if I love you, and that’s what I’m doing! Chris-Love, please love me if you love me!

CHRIS
Effe, EFFE, Effe! I love you. Always have, always will...and yes, from this moment, there’ll be no third parties!

They kiss, they cry, they hold tight...loving, because they love.

Suddenly Effe pulls back and looks at Chris with horror as she smiles...and her face, smeared with their tears, shines brightly with an amazing beauty!

She whispers to him.

EFFE
Really? Chris-Love! With handcuffs and staring at twenty-five years in prison you still get an erection in court?

And the two of them suddenly break into laughter, still holding each other, still crying together....still alive!

Still living loving...and it is indeed a beautiful thing to behold!

What happens next? Find out by reading the remaining Episodes here - www.youngicee.com/category/the-JAILBIRD

2 Likes

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by skubido(m): 8:33am On Apr 05, 2018
Oya more
Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 8:52am On Apr 06, 2018
Episode 66

HIGH COURT

Judge Ossom’s gavel raps harshly, angrily, bringing the two emotionally-mad lovebirds cruelly to the present.

Chris and Effe breaks apart and look into the enraged face of the Judge.

JUDGE OSSOM
(fiercely)
You’re ten seconds away from the stiffest charge of contempt of court, Lawyer Kedem! That is the most inane and grossly inappropriate sight I’ve ever witnessed in my court. In case you forgot, this court is in session!

Effe is suddenly aware of her surroundings, of witnesses, of cameras, of live feeds... and an expression of severe discomfiture seizes her.

She is principled and firmly responsible, and would have condemned a similar spectacle from any couple... but then again it is Chris, a man whose mere look can rob her of all inhibitions.

Looking severely flustered, she looks at the displeased judge humbly.

The court room, shocked into silence a few minutes ago, is now filled with low murmurings of disapproval, of mirth, of anger, and of understanding from a few observers.

EFFE
(contrite)
A million apologies, Your Honour. May I please approach the Bench?

JUDGE OSSOM
YOU better, Counsel!

Effe sighs miserably and approaches the Judge. Quickly Jeff Atakora stands up and follows her.

Effe looks up at the Judge, who covers the microphone on the desk with his left hand.

JUDGE OSSOM
(firmly)
You don’t have to say anything, Effe. You’re off. That was absolutely unacceptable.

EFFE
(levelly)
Thanks, Your Honour. I’m sorry, but I can’t prosecute him. I love him. I was very hurt, and blinded, but I love him.

JUDGE OSSOM
(tightly)
You’ve disappointed me, Lady. Jeff, can you proceed, or you need time to prepare? I can postpone, you know, in the wake of that appalling and ludicrous behaviour of Lead Counsel.

Jeff Atakora looks quickly at Effe.

He licks his lips.

ATAKORA
We built the case together, Your Honour, I can continue. Sorry, Effe.

Effe nods humbly.

Sudden tears simmer in her eyes.

EFFE
( agitated)
Your Honour, I’ve reliable sources that shows that the Defense Counsel is just here as a mere stooge, and will not offer anything good to the Defendant-

JUDGE OSSOM
(hissing angrily)
Don’t dare, Effe, don’t even go there! The answer is NO, you can’t and will not defend that man. You know better! Snap out of that madness, Effe!

Effe is a picture of dejection as she looks at the judge with impotent fury.

She is to be blamed for this. She had been so hurt and bitter that for a moment she had forsaken the man she loves.

EFFE
Can I speak to the accused, Your Honour?

JUDGE OSSOM
(hissing)
Are you aware, Effe, that you’re on live television? Every goddamn person who matters is watching us. Why the hell do you want to compromise my hearing? You’re damn lucky I didn’t send you to jail for that silly scene you pulled earlier. Now get the hell out of my sight!

EFFE
(imploringly)
Please, I beg of you, Your Honour. I know I erred, but I’m sorry. I couldn’t help it. Understand, this is not easy for me. Mr. Buabasah is just there to make things legal, but you know he’s not going to defend Chris. How fair is that? Please, let me speak to Chris. Just for five minutes, please, I beg of you.

The Judge glares darkly at her, evidently unhappy. He turns his gaze on Atakora.

JUDGE OSSOM
Are okay with that?

Atakora looks at Effe, and there is pity on his face.

ATAKORA
Yeah, yeah, I’m cool, Your Honour.

Judge Ossom removes his hand from the microphone.

JUDGE OSSOM
Will the Defence Counsel and the accused please approach the Bench?

There are murmurings from the crowd as Buabasah and Chris stand up and walk towards the bench.

JUDGE OSSOM
(irritably)
Would somebody please take off those handcuffs?

Cuger scowls darkly, but he steps forward and unlocks the handcuffs on Chris.

Chris flexes his wrists and stands besides Effe. She turns to him, and with tears in her eyes she points at Baaba.

EFFE
(tremulously)
She was beaten, Chris. She had your semen in her. There was cocaine in your bloodstream. She had lacerations that point to rape. I love you, Chris-Love, and I now realize I can’t live without you. But if you did all that to her, then you deserve to be punished, because no man should treat a woman like that. If you did, I’ll applaud your sentence, but I’ll wait for you no matter how long. The lie detector showed she spoke the truth. Did you do that to her, Chris, my love?

Chris looks at Effe with haunted eyes. He suddenly takes her hands, kisses her knuckles, and speaks desperately.

CHRIS
(painfully)
I don’t remember, my love, believe me. That day you left for Takoradi, she came to see me. She wanted to make love, but I told her you and I were back together. I showed her the diamond-encrusted bands I had bought for me and you to start our love afresh. I told her to get out, and she still insisted she would never let me go. I was hurting already, and I remember yelling at her to leave me alone. The next thing I realized was that the police was all over the place, and I was arrested. I don’t remember what happened, my love, but believe me, Angelface, I’ve never ever in my life done cocaine. Never.

Effe stares at him, shattered. Her heart is in pain as she suddenly hears Eyram’s voice:

Her head is not screwed on right... screwed on right...

EFFE
(dazed)
My God!

She raises a hand and places it on Chris’ chest. Tears drip down her face.

EFFE
(painfully)
I believe you, Chris-Love. I don’t know how, my love, but I’m not going to allow anybody to do this to us.

She turns and quickly walks towards the Lawyers’ Entrance and leaves the courtroom.

Judge Ossom heaves a troubled sigh.

JUDGE OSSOM
Enough of this nonsense already. Sit down, sit down. Let’s restore some sanity here. Counsel, ready for your opening statement?

When everyone is seated and an uneasy silence reigns, Jeff Atakora stands up and approaches the jury.

He looks at their grim faces for a while, sighs, and begins to speak.

ATAKORA
Your Honour, Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, my mission here is a simple one. I don’t expect this to be a long-drawn case, because the hard facts are there, and there are no ambiguities whatsoever. I don't want us to glorify a criminal, albeit a most popular citizen we all love because of his prowess in the ring. He was the husband of my friend, and I personally like him, but wrong is wrong, and should be condemned no matter who commits it, because no one is above the law. Today the people are charging Mr. Chris Bawa with violations of the Criminal Offences Act with the wilful, deliberate and absolutely inhumane rape of Baaba Brooks. We are going to prove beyond doubt that Mr. Bawa is a heartless rapist who deserves no mercy. We will call three witnesses. One of them is Chief Inspector Danso Cuger, the policeman first to arrive on the scene, an unbiased government official who examined the accused’s house, and he will testify about the state he found the victim and the accused in. Then, we will call Doctor Kenneth Pintos, the medical practitioner who examined the victim, and he will testify that indeed, Miss Baaba Brooks was brutally penetrated without her consent according to the forensic and medical examination. We will also call Miss Baaba Brooks, and live her ordeal right here. Today we are going to prove that Mr. Chris Bawa is guilty, and deserves the maximum imprisonment punishment of twenty-five years. Thank you.

There are murmurings again, silenced by the Judge’s gavel hitting the sound block sharply.

Atakora calls Baaba Brooks to the stand.

Her face still shows the ordeal she had been through.

Her ribs are still bandaged under her dress, and her left wrist is also bandaged.

She is helped into her seat by a young policeman.

She is sworn in on the Bible.

As she sits dejectedly in the witness box she shakes, and any time her eyes fall on Chris she shudders.

ATAKORA
(solemnly)

Thank you for being here, Miss Brooks. Are you sure you're ready to do this?

Baaba smiles bravely, but there are tears in her eyes.

BAABA
(tremulously)
Yes, please.

Atakora takes her through the questioning, covering the period she arrived at Grand Castle Prison and how she had felt sorry for Chris.

Baaba narrates how she sometimes cooked for Chris inside the prison and how they became friends.

She tells them of the phone she bought for Chris when he was released from prison and driving him around and finally taking him to Madina.

ATAKORA
You must have liked Mr. Bawa very much.

Baaba shudders, and tears come to her eyes and spills down her cheeks.

BAABA
Yes, I did. I loved him. I wanted him to be my husband.

ATAKORA
(tightly)
Baaba, there was an incident that happened prior to the final unfortunate rape ordeal. You lodged a complaint against Mr. Bawa for assault, and he was arrested. Later you changed this story and he was released. Would you mind telling us what happened?

Baaba narrates how she invited Chris to her apartment, and how he had tried to make love to her, and when she refused he had gone berserk and thrown her through her French glass windows.

BAABA
(sobbing)
He was like an animal! I thought he was going to kill me. When he saw I was badly hurt he calmed down and rushed me to the hospital.

ATAKORA
(shuddering)
So if you suffered so much why did you change your report and let the police release him?

Baaba wipes tears from her eyes, and this makes everybody in the audience extremely sad, all except Wailer Vroom and Eyram who are sitting just behind Chris, and looking at him with pity.

BAABA
(softly)
Because I was in love with him. I thought he would change.

There is a low murmur of anger in the courtroom, and people shake angry fists at Chris.

COURT ORDERLY
Orrrrrder, Orrrrrder!

Next Atakora takes Baaba through her friendship with Chris.

ATAKORA
Baaba, before the incident, did you ever willingly sleep with Mr. Bawa?

BAABA
(nodding)
Yes. I once spent the night with him at the residence his sister-in-law gave him. He was having a terrible time, and I couldn't leave him. I shared his bed, and we made love. Afterwards I told him it was best we didn't make love again because I wanted to save myself for the man I marry.

ATAKORA
And what did he say to that?

BAABA
He agreed, and promised me he wouldn't do it again without my permission.

ATAKORA
And you believed him?

BAABA
Yes! I was in love with him! And I trusted him! But he is a beast! A beast!

She breaks down, and begins to weep pitifully.

The courtroom is shocked into silence.

All eyes turn to Chris.

The members of the jury regard him with blatant hatred.

Ben Buabasah shifts his chair a little further away, and looks at Chris with a contemptuous curl of his lips.

JUDGE OSSOM
(compassionately)
Are you okay, Miss Brooks? Can you continue, or you want a little break?

BAABA
(in a tiny voice)
I can continue, please.

Atakora sighs and walks back to his seat.

It is very evident that he is terribly affected.

He gets up and approaches Baaba after a while.

ATAKORA

That brings us to the morning of April twentieth, the day the sad incident happened.

He takes Baaba through the time she arrived at Chris' house.

BAABA

He called me the previous day that he has a package for the prison Chaplain, Jon Fii. I passed through to take the package.

She describes how she had seen Chris sniffing cocaine on the kitchen counter and she had tried to stop him, and when he wouldn't she had scattered the cocaine.

This prompted a rage in Chris, and he had attacked her severely, beating her up badly and then raping her viciously.

Afterwards, as he was trying to fix himself another cocaine fest she had hit him with a dumbbell, and when he fell unconscious she had crawled to her bag, taken out her phone and called the police.

Chief Inspector Danso Cuger and his team arrived a few minutes later.

ATAKORA

(turning to the jury)

She lay there, torn and bleeding, seriously hurt by a man who knows how to use his fists. Maybe she might have been dying. Torn, broken, helpless. And what does he do? He tries to fix himself cocaine. I must add, Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, that my colleague, the esteemed Effe Kedem, questioned Miss Brooks using a lie-detector process before we came to court. It showed she told the truth.

He turns slowly and faces the judge.

ATAKORA

No further questions, Your Honour.

The silence is electric.
Judge Ossom sighs deeply and looks at Ben Buabasah.

JUDGE OSSOM
Your rebuttal, Counsel?

Ben Buabasah gets to his feet.

BUABASAH
No cross-examination, Your Honour.

He sits down, and some of the people in the audience laugh briefly.

Baaba is helped out of the witness box, still weeping, still pathetic.

Some of the people in the audience are weeping now.

Eyram wipes tears from her eyes, and Wailer scowls at her.

WAILER
Hey. Weeping for her?

EYRAM
No, no, not for that lying witch. For CB, my love.

WAILER
(sadly)
Yeah. Looks bad for him.

The crowd hurl insults at Chris, and no amount of warning from Judge Ossom can silence them.

Judge Ossom has no other option than to call for recess.

BAWA RESIDENCE

They are watching the court case on the television.

Mrs. Lois Bawa is weeping and unsuccessfully drying her tears with the edge of her cloth.

STAN
You see what I said, Pop? We should've enforced that he doesn't use the Bawa name before this trial! Now look at the shame he's brought us!

MRS. LOIS
(sadly)
Shut up, Stan! You can never change his blood, son! Criminal or not he's still your brother!

DIANA
(angrily)
That's what you always do, Mom! Protecting him, shielding him, defending him! Are you proud of what he has become? A drug addict who can't control his habits and rapes people who try to help him? Jeez, Mom! Let him go! This time they're going to lock him up for twenty-five years, and he deserves it!

Mrs. Lois Bawa looks at her grim-faced husband.

MRS. LOIS
(agitated)
Brand! Won't you say anything? Are you going to let this hatred fester in our family?

The Reverend Brand Bawa stands up, and he looks sadly at his wife.

REV BAWA
I don't know where we went wrong with that boy, Lois. He is rotten, and he is perhaps my cross to bear. He is wicked, and I regret the day I ever spawned that oaf of a lad!

MRS. LOIS
(screaming)
BRAND!!!

The man of God turns away from her and leaves the living-room.

JAILBIRD continues

Read up to the final episode here - www.youngicee.com/category/the-jailbird

2 Likes

Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by skubido(m): 12:47pm On Apr 06, 2018
Tanks man
Re: THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller by Oyinprince(m): 7:15pm On Apr 09, 2018

® 18+ SNVL
© Aaron Ansah-Agyeman

HIGH COURT – FEMALE WASH ROOM
Eyram carefully applies makeup to hide the tear marks on her face. She picks up her lipstick, and looks into the huge mirror.
The door opens behind her, and Effe comes slowly to stand beside her.
They look at each other in the mirror.
Effe's face is pale, and Eyram knows that she is under a lot of strain, and she is suffering terribly.
EFFE
(softly)
Thought I saw you coming in here, Rammy. I’ve been in the lounge, watching proceedings on the television.
Eyram looks at her sister, and then she slowly puts the lipstick back in her bag.
EYRAM
(bitterly)
Hi, Ef. You really did a marvellous job winning Chris back. You deserve a round of applause.
Effe shuts her eyes, and for a brief moment a look of sheer pain crosses her face. She bites her lip, and then she bends her head.
When she looks up tears are shimmering in her eyes, but she fights it back furiously.
EFFE
How's Junior, Rammy?
Again Eyram looks at her sister for a long time before replying.
EYRAM
He's doing fine. He just didn't want to go to school this morning. I think the other kids are saying nasty things about his father.
The tears slowly spill down Effe's cheeks.
EFFE
(tremulously)
I have been blind, Rammy. Chris just told me he’s never done drugs. Do you remember the first time he was arrested with a lot of drugs in his car? I believed him today, and if he told the truth, it makes me wonder what really happened five years ago. I still love Chris. I’ll never stop loving him...I just can’t! And if I’ve been wrong about him all these years, I think I’ll die! He told me he doesn’t remember assaulting Baaba, and I believe him. But she beat the lie detector! How on earth could she do that?
EYRAM
That girl is sick, Ef! There's something wrong with her head, I keep telling you that, but you simply won’t listen! I’ve no pity for her because, sorry to say this, she’s quite mad! She's infatuated with Chris! Dear God, she attacked him with a rock once, did you know that? I had to stitch his scalp! And do you know why? It was because Chris told her he loved you and he wouldn’t, as a result, make love to her. That stupid Buabasah wouldn’t put me in the witness box even though I’ve begged him to.
EFFE
(shaking her head)
She passed the lie detector test, Rammy! No one can beat the lie detector. Her words are the truth! And the ghastly wounds.on her? Do you think she inflicted them on herself? Chris’ semen was inside her vagina, Rammy, and she had bruises inside her vagina indicating forced entry! Parts of his skin were found under her fingernails! There was cocaine in Chris' blood, Rammy! Can you explain that? She must be a disturbed girl, but these are hard facts, Rammy, and I WORK WITH FACTS, and that’s what blinded me. But I believe Chris now, and so I need to find out how Baaba pulled this off, otherwise Chris will be in prison.
Eyram slings her bag across her shoulder, and looks sadly at her sister.
EYRAM
I can't explain how she pulled it off, Ef. But maybe she provoked Chris too much that morning when Chris was obviously quite distressed. Do you know Chris called me that morning? He was asking me about the In Vitro Fertilization, Ef. That might've triggered something in him.
Effe gasps, and she takes a step back as if from a physical blow. Her face is screwed up with shock.
EFFE
(whispering)
What?
EYRAM
You heard me, Ef. The IVF, with Steve's sperm and my egg. He knew about it. He asked about it that morning.
EFFE
(in pain)
Oh, Lord no! Oh, dear Lord, no! Why didn't you tell me, Rammy?
EYRAM
(sadly)
I should have, but everything was happening so fast and I forgot about it. They didn’t allow me to see him. I wanted to tell him the truth, that you found out at the last minute that you were pregnant finally, and so the IVF wasn’t necessary.
EFFE
(weeping)
Oh my dearest sweet Jesus! That must be it. He was shattered! I’m sure Steve told him about the IVF, and I’m sure Steve conveniently left out the fact that I absolutely refused to let Doctor Anaman use Steve’s sperm. And Chris didn’t know I became pregnant and so I didn’t go through with it! Oh my God! Oh Chris-Love!
EYRAM
(softly)
Yes, I’m sure it triggered Chris’ inner demons, and he reacted savagely towards Baaba. We need to help him, Ef.
She walks past Effe and out of the washroom.
Effe stands transfixed, seeing nothing.
Oh dear Lord! Oh, dear sweet Lord!
She now knows Eyram is right.
It explains everything. Chris loves his son with a passion fiercer than anything she had ever seen.
Learning about the In Vitro must have hurt him rather terribly and been a catalyst for what happened.
She needs to see Chris and clear that misunderstanding.
She shudders and looks at her haunted face through the mirror.
Everything is spiralling out of control. She is losing her man, and her son.
She must do something about it...and fast!

HIGH COURT
Chief Inspector Danso Cuger now takes the witness stand.
He is sworn in.
He is led under evidence by Atakora.
He describes how Baaba's call was received and how he was dispatched to attend to the distress call.
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
(calmly)
We found Mr. Bawa on the floor of the kitchen, with a gash on the back of his head. Miss Baaba Brooks was lying on the floor, barely able to move. She had deep wounds on her face and she couldn't move her arms. She was naked, just like Mr. Bawa, who was bleeding from the face where Miss Brooks had scratched him.
Atakora hesitates.
It is evident that some of his earlier grim determination has deserted him.
ATAKORA
And did you find any evidence of hard drugs?
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
Oh, yes. On the floor were white powdery substances we suspected was cocaine. We found some around Mr. Bawa's lips and nostrils.
ATAKORA
And what happened next?
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
We radioed for an ambulance and sent Miss Brooks to the Eden hospital. By then Mr. Bawa had come out of the unconscious state, so using Miss Brooks' phone call as a report we detained him at the station for further investigations. When we got a chance to interview her she confirmed she had been raped, and so we formerly charged him with the crime.
ATAKORA
But the powdery substance? You couldn't possibly identify it, could you? Thinking it was cocaine was just an opinion, wasn't it?
CHIEF INSPECTOR CUGER
Well, the Forensic experts came in with the Crime Scene Investigators, and their reports indicated that indeed it was cocaine.
ATAKORA
Thank you, Chief Inspector. No further questions, Your Honour.
Judge Ossom clears his throat and looks at Ben Buabasah, and people begin to laugh.
JUDGE OSSOM
Defence Counsel, are you ready to cross-examine?
Ben Buabasah gets to his feet.
BUABASAH
No questions, Your Honour.
There is loud laughter now.
Up in the stands a grim-faced Steve is seen returning to the courtroom. He walks detectedly and sits down beside Afful.
Steve leans close to Afful and speaks with hatred.
STEVE
He's cooked now, isn't he? Twenty years at least. Enough time for me to win Effe back.
AFFUL
He's getting the full twenty-five. He's a goner. You got your p**** back, bro. You're the man, dawg. The p**** is yours.
They both laugh and bump fists.
Chris sits still.
His head is now bowed.
Atakora looks at him as he sits down.
He sits quietly for a long time, and slowly the babble in the courtroom dies down and all eyes turn to him.
He is remembering Chris’ passionate appeal to Effe that he knows nothing of what had happened.
Atakora tries to convince himself that Chris is lying, but still he has an uncomfortable feeling in his guts.
The television camera swings to him, and it highlights the tenseness in his face.
JUDGE OSSOM
Is the Prosecution ready to proceed?
Atakora looks up slowly, and then he turns and looks at Chris again.
He sighs and stands up.
ATAKORA
We now call Doctor Kenneth Pintos to the stand.
Dr. Pintos is a severe-looking but handsome middle-aged man. Medium build, dark and trim, he is wearing a nice wine suit.
He is sworn in on the Bible.
Atakora then leads him in evidence.
He confirms lacerations and cuts that indicate forced entry into Baaba, confirming rape. He confirms the sperms found inside her matches the DNA of Chris.
ATAKORA
And you also run tests on the accused?
DR. PINTOS
Yes. It is standard procedure.
ATAKORA
And your findings?
DR. PINTOS
(sadly)
We found significant amounts of cocaine in his streams. Tissues on his fists also showed he used blunt force in hitting Miss Brooks.
ATAKORA
(hesitating)
Do you think, in your professional view, of course, that the accused, Mr. Chris Bawa, was acting under the influence of drugs and might not have been fully aware of what he was doing?
DR. PINTOS
I think Mr. Bawa knew exactly what he was doing. He didn't give any indication, whatsoever, that he wasn't in complete control of his faculties. I may be wrong, and a psychiatry evaluation might show just the opposite, but, sitting here, I'm convinced that he was absolutely in total control all the time, and knew exactly what he was doing.
ATAKORA
(sadly)
Thank you, Doctor. That will be all, Your Honour.
This time he neither looks at Chris or the jury as he sits down. There is a sheen of perspiration on his face and he takes out a white, perfumed and folded handkerchief and dabs at his face.
JUDGE OSSOM
Counsel?
The crowd suddenly comes alive with a loud answer.
CROWD
No questions!
Even Judge Ossom smiles a little as a roar of laughter fills the courtroom.
He holds up a hand and bangs down with his gavel repeatedly on the sound board. After a while the laughter die down.
Looking extremely embarrassed, Ben Buabasah stands up and shakes his head.
BUABASAH
No questions, Your Honour.
The courtroom erupts with gales of laughter and catcalling that go on for some time.
JUDGE OSSOM
Will the Prosecution be calling any more witnesses?
Jeff Atakora stands up.
ATAKORA
No, Your Honour.
JUDGE OSSOM
Will Counsel call witnesses now?
BUABASAH
No, Your Honour.
JUDGE OSSOM
Alright. We'll call it a wrap then. We'll meet tomorrow at ten in the morning to take your closing statements, if any, and hopefully give a ruling. Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.
There is a babble as they all stand up for the Judge to leave.
Insults are hurled at Chris as he stands up, and as he is being led away people scream and hurl paper bullets at him.
Chris' head is held up defiantly, his shoulders straight as he marches towards the little door.
Eyram can no longer stand it.
She gets up and rushes past a downhearted Wailer Vroom, and then she runs up the walkway and out of the court.
Atakora watches Chris as he passes through the door, and his hands tremble as a painful lump rises up in his throat.
He knows, without any shadow of a doubt, that he has succeeded in sending Chris to prison again.
There is no doubt about it.

Can Chris be saved or has the end finally come for him?

JAILBIRD is already completed here - www.youngicee.com/category/the-jailbird

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie's New Hair Style: Like Or Dislike? / Chimamanda Adichie & Her Husband, Ivara Dine With Barack & Michelle Obama / The Devil Who Loved Me (true Life Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 436
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.