Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,603 members, 7,820,154 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

I Think My Email Got Hacked - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / I Think My Email Got Hacked (949 Views)

I Think Someone Mistakenly Credited My Airtel Line With N3000. / I Think My Phone Has The Weirdest Problem In The Whole World / Reasons Why I Think The Iphone X Is An Overrated Piece Of Metal - Naijatechguy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 9:50pm On Dec 24, 2017
I have two email accounts, on my yahoo mail account I got this weird email from one "Newman Okwu" saying "Payment Sent"

Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 9:51pm On Dec 24, 2017
I naively opened it on my phone but it wouldn't open so I just forgot about it. Fast forward to this evening, my inbox on my gmail account is full of "delivery failed" emails
Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 9:52pm On Dec 24, 2017
I've gotten up to 10 of these this evening.

Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 9:53pm On Dec 24, 2017
Then I discovered that somehow, I sent the same "payment sent" email to hundreds of people (which I obviously didn't)

Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 24, 2017
Please I need to know how to stop this. And also if anyone can figure out how on earth they were able to get into my email account.

I'm guessing the Newman guy was also a victim
Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 10:02pm On Dec 24, 2017
So um if you could be of any help I'd appreciate it. Changed my password already but the trash is still coming in
Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by jaid23: 10:53pm On Dec 24, 2017
Op, sorry to hear this from you. But i think you are a victim of phish attck... A RAT was propably attched to the txt file sent with that mail, u opening it makes u prone tonthe attck. Hence, the attcker gaining acces your email passwod, which he defijtely used in sending unsolicitated mesaages to people using ur account.. A way of getting a SMTP/MAILER or any form of sender to spread RAT.

CHANGING. UR PASS WOULD WORKK, THOUGH, YOU RECIEVING THE MAILERDEAMON MESSAGES IS THAT SOME EMAILS D ATTCKER SENT HIS FRAUDULENT MESSGES TO DOESNT EXIST, THEN RELAYIN BACK TO YOUR EMAIL (AS D SENDER)..

4 Likes

Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by jaid23: 10:56pm On Dec 24, 2017
AnonyNymous:
So um if you could be of any help I'd appreciate it. Changed my password already but the trash is still coming in
jaid23:
Op, sorry to hear this from you. But i think you are a victim of phish attck... A RAT was propably attched to the txt file sent with that mail, u opening it makes u prone tonthe attck. Hence, the attcker gaining acces your email passwod, which he defijtely used in sending unsolicitated mesaages to people using ur account.. A way of getting a SMTP/MAILER or any form of sender to spread RAT.

CHANGING. UR PASS WOULD WORKK, THOUGH, YOU RECIEVING THE MAILERDEAMON MESSAGES IS THAT SOME EMAILS D ATTCKER SENT HIS FRAUDULENT MESSGES TO DOESNT EXIST, THEN RELAYIN BACK TO YOUR EMAIL (AS D SENDER)..

Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 10:56pm On Dec 24, 2017
jaid23:

Thanks man. I've changed my password already. But its still baffling me how he used one email account (yahoo) to gain access to the gmail account.
Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by jaid23: 10:59pm On Dec 24, 2017
AnonyNymous:

Thanks man. I've changed my password already. But its still baffling me how he used one email account (yahoo) to gain access to the gmail account.

Get all ur online profile account pass change asap.. And if possible go to ur file explorer for any wierd files and delete asap.. Infct if u fit get antivirus sef, scan d phone..

3 Likes

Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 8:49am On Dec 25, 2017
jaid23:

Get all ur online profile account pass change asap.. And if possible go to ur file explorer for any wierd files and delete asap.. Infct if u fit get antivirus sef, scan d phone..
Damn bro. I've done that, thanks. I wonder why I was targeted though lol
Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by kenomobola(m): 1:42pm On Dec 25, 2017
AnonyNymous:

Damn bro. I've done that, thanks. I wonder why I was targeted though lol

You weren't specifically targeted. Some of these guys have nasty programs that scour the net for random email addresses.

1 Like

Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 25, 2017
AnonyNymous:

Do u use same password for both email accounts?
Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 4:21pm On Dec 25, 2017
kenomobola:

You weren't specifically targeted. Some of these guys have nasty programs that scour the net for random email addresses.
That was crazy sha o. I hope they haven't gotten any other data from my phone because to attack one email and get info on the other. . .its still baffling me
Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 4:22pm On Dec 25, 2017
greenhulk:

Do u use same password for both email accounts?
At all, but I use the password for one of them on many sites. I've been routinely changing passwords since
Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jan 08, 2018
AnonyNymous:
I naively opened it on my phone but it wouldn't open so I just forgot about it. Fast forward to this evening, my inbox on my gmail account is full of "delivery failed" emails
You shouldn't have opened the attachment. We all get spams, you clicking it takes you to the next level from General to potential target.
Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 08, 2018
Anonymous got anonymously hacked, cliché. grin

2 Likes

Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 5:45am On Jan 09, 2018
BlueSwede:

You shouldn't have opened the attachment. We all get spams, you clicking it takes you to the next level from General to potential target.
Yeah, I only clicked it because at the time I'd just paid for a flight so I was thinking it had something to do with it. I wonder if I was being 'followed' or it was just a convenient coincidence. I think my email is safe now, though, I've had to explain myself to like 4 people who replied to me now that there's no payment and I'm no scammer. Lol
Re: I Think My Email Got Hacked by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 09, 2018
AnonyNymous:

Yeah, I only clicked it because at the time I'd just paid for a flight so I was thinking it had something to do with it. I wonder if I was being 'followed' or it was just a convenient coincidence. I think my email is safe now, though, I've had to explain myself to like 4 people who replied to me now that there's no payment and I'm no scammer. Lol
Alright man, stay safe, mind your thumbs and remember the destiny of your Gmail account rests on your thumbs! grin grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ios And Android Earbuds Wireless Bluetooth / How Cn I Recover My Hacked Facebook Account? / Android Os Data Drain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.