Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,135 members, 7,818,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed (35305 Views)

Lagos Government Suspends Re-Opening Of Churches And Mosques / Coronavirus: Guidelines For Reopening Churches And Mosques By NCDC / Churches, Mosques To Remain Closed In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Liamm(m): 12:05pm On Dec 29, 2017
john1035:
I support 100% �

Most churches will relocate their headquarters from Lagos inorder to reduce tax burden. MFM, deeperlife, Synagogue, Trem...

But I'm curious, how will the income be determined, because churches won't disclose their income
estimated tax i suppose
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:06pm On Dec 29, 2017
arrestdarrester:

You appear ignorant of goings on in the country. Churches are already remitting PAYE to state governments for its full time staff. Its nothing new.

Taxing the Church organization as a profit making entity is extremely wrong. Why then are they in the same category as NGOs who render PAYE to government for its employed staff but are not taxed as a profit making organization? Do mosques and churches keep profit and loss accounts?

Churches that collect free money does not need profit and loss account grin

The issue here is that Churches are not seen as Charity organizations any longer. It is more like a Business entity and should pay tax for all their income
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by back2sender: 12:06pm On Dec 29, 2017
Desyner:

Where does the proceed go? You tell me. You are only speculating further.

Have you heard of scholarship they give out? Maybe you want the church to annouce it in radio so that unbelievers can overrun the real seed sowers. You guys just assume thing and get emotional over the strides the churches are making.

You are disgrace and a thief. See how you are defending suitcases pastor's.

Christianity is a fraud especially as practiced in Nigeria.
Let them go and heal the beggars in ebute metta and idumota then I will know they are serious in doing God's work.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Nobody: 12:08pm On Dec 29, 2017
i concur.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Dollyak(f): 12:09pm On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

Churches and religious organizations are generally exempt from income tax and receive other favorable treatment under the tax law; however, certain income of a church or religious organization may be subject to tax, such as income from an unrelated business.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf
Considering income tax from donations constitutes the largest percentage of church income, I find it disingenuous of you to lump it together with business sales.
Lagos state wants to tax both income and sales tax which is wrong IMO.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by shekauvsbuhari: 12:12pm On Dec 29, 2017
I SHOUT TO THIS GENERATION THAT ARE JUST TOO EMOTIONAL BUT DONT READ TO UNDERSTAND. LASG IS NOT TELLING CHURCHES N MOSQUES TO PAY TAX. LAND USE CHARGE IS NOT INCOME TAX.IT IS NOT TAX ON PROFIT. IT IS LIKE A TOKEN YOU PAY ON YOUR LANDED PROPERTY AND ITS NOT NEW. THEY PAY IT IN OTHER PLACES. RELIGOUS BODIES HAVE BEEN PAYING IT. THIS OP IS VERY MISCHIEVIOUS.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:12pm On Dec 29, 2017
shekauvsbuhari:
they are like NGOs n charity organisations. That is how CAC classify them.they are run by donations from people n organisations. From that donation they pay guys that work for them. Rotary club for instance cant pay tax but they pay workers that work for them. If however church sets up a biz like fee-charging school. If de skul makes profit, it will pay tax.if it publishes book for profitable sale,it will pay tax. But that offering n tithe or whatever donation is not taxed bcs its a voluntary donation by people for de running of de charity. It is not classified as biz. U dnt sell prayer or charge fee for church attendance. The law does not see it as biz in the real sense of it. They are organisations that voluntarily help de society though there are abuses here and there.

Thanks for the response. Another quick one.

Do Nigerian churches appears like a Charity home or Business centres?

On the fact that you claim and accepted there are abuses, fraud, and mismanagement of church funds,it simply mean they have derail and not running as Charity organization. Does that not translate that are no more charity as claimed but a business for the merriment of the pastors and leaders and because of this should be taxed?
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by OversightTM(m): 12:12pm On Dec 29, 2017
Xisnin:

Don't try to argue a point you don't understand.
When you donate to a church, it is no longer your money, it is the church's
money, you can't be taxed on a money that isn't yours to begin with.

All income have already been taxed. Even if you work for a company.
The company's customer were taxed before buying their products and that doesn't
exempt your company from being taxed. If you still don't get it, please use google.
Okay let me get you now, are you saying that an income I already pay tax on, once I donate a portion of it (disposable income) to the church or charitable organization, it has to be taxed?
And if by mistake it is taxed, it doesn't amount to double taxation?
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by erico2k2(m): 12:12pm On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

Is Buhari not paying tax too? He earns salary after tax has been deducted.

And where is the evidence that Yusuf medical bill is offset from tax money? You guys just real out garbage from your anu just to prove a point.

On the principle of equity, the Church and Mosque is a business avenue which must be taxed. In UK, churches and religion centres are been taxed. This is because most full term pastors and bishops are been paid salary. The church earn revenue from every possible means. Either by selling religion items or offering money for special prayers. All these are no different from corporate organizations that render services or Industries that sells manufactured products which are taxed.

The Church property like every other Business properties should be taxed. The Sales revenue and Salaries of Pastors should be taxed too. There should no exception because both Church and it operators earn money. There is money flow that is taxable. These pastors or whatever they tag themselves should pay income tax just like every person. And the church which makes money from the congregation should also pay tax just like every other business or institution
Hard to charge churches and Mosque to pay Tax reason being they are charities registered plus they ha e no profit record . They are not termed biz however workers of churches are meant to pay taxes as they earn salaries .
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by braxjay(m): 12:13pm On Dec 29, 2017
i don't care about the reason behind this, it is WRONG to tax religious institutions.

these institutions are not money generating, they don't do business or investments they are solely run by charities from it's members. same members who have already paid taxes. why double tax them?
there are some many low income churches who could barely get 10,000 from their monthly offerings and free will donations, how do you intend them to run the church.

the government is greedy and are always looking for ways to rip off people. if they cant manage all the revenue from every other sector including personal income tax, PAYE, toll fare etc how much will they get from religious institutes that will satisfy their stupidity.
CRAP

1 Like

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by yefasolution: 12:15pm On Dec 29, 2017
This is a good development. Most of their activities are not productive rather, they only recycle resources.
MrMcJay:
Beautiful

Churches should be placed in a special taxable category. The tax is not based on their income but on the property they occupy. You can't have a 12-storey church in Victoria Island and refuse to pay tax cos it's a church.

All these agbaya churches that have hundreds of parishes but don't have a single orphanage or hospital. Even their mediocre schools are designed to cater to the children of the rich.

Guys, you know the funny thing, these Muslims and Christian leaders would soon issue a joint press release. When money is involved, no religion o. Greed unites them.

Freeze freed the sheeples. Now, Ambode wan hammer the sheeples.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Xisnin(m): 12:16pm On Dec 29, 2017
OversightTM:

Okay let me get you now, are you saying that an income I already pay tax on, once I donate a portion of it (disposable income) to the church or charitable organization, it has to be taxed?
And if by mistake it is taxed, it doesn't amount to double taxation?
Any income you used in payment or donation is no longer your own.
You are not being taxed(double), it is the recipient that is being taxed.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Originalsly: 12:16pm On Dec 29, 2017
Land taxes....don't think they should. Would prefer they tax the pastors on their income..assets...and a heavy tax on luxury items while putting a cap on the value of gifts. Pastors always receiving 'gifts' such as luxury cars and jets...let them pay taxes...the city coffers will be overflowing.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:17pm On Dec 29, 2017
erico2k2:

Hard to charge churches and Mosque to pay Tax reason being they are charities registered plus they ha e no profit record . They are not termed biz however workers of churches are meant to pay taxes as they earn salaries .

It doesn't matter if they are registered as charity. Churches in Nigeria are not operating like charity.

And for your info, I was a member of church workers. We keep records of all the amount we spend and receive on weekly basis. And also send report to the headquarter on monthly basis.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by OversightTM(m): 12:17pm On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

Churches that collect free money does not need profit and loss account grin

The issue here is that Churches are not seen as Charity organizations any longer. It is more like a Business entity and should pay tax for all their income
Are you the one not seeing churches as charity organizations or the government. You may go ahead to re-write the frigging constitution if you can...
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:18pm On Dec 29, 2017
Dollyak:

Considering income tax from donations constitutes the largest percentage of church income, I find it disingenuous of you to lump it together with business sales.
Lagos state wants to tax both income and sales tax which is wrong IMO.

If the donation are tunneled into Pastors pocket and not back to the public, it should be taxed.

I respect your opinion
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by OversightTM(m): 12:19pm On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

Sales of books and religious material can be taxed. Profit are been made in this case.

However, my concern is on offering, tithes and donations. It is a money making scheme for the church and pastors. I believe the salaries and earnings plus allowances come from offering and tithe. Moreso, bulk of this money is spent on the frivolous life of pastors. Because today, we barely see roads or free schools built by church for public consumption. Hence, these inflow does not amount to charity and should be taxed.
I give up on you already...
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by smulti(m): 12:19pm On Dec 29, 2017
Desyner:
How exactly is the church making money ? Please give a direct answer.
they are actually making money from your head
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:19pm On Dec 29, 2017
OversightTM:

Are you the one not seeing churches as charity organizations or the government. You may go ahead to re-write the frigging constitution if you can...

Lagos State Government is likely seeing them as business organization
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by MrMcJay(m): 12:22pm On Dec 29, 2017
Desyner:
All brawn.
The properties are bought with seed entrusted in the hands of the church leaders. It is up to the contributors to make that decision and not poke-nose govt and posters like you.

Lol
I said your tears have just started. You'll still cry blood.

The Government would tax churches, they would take the Lagosh State Government to court, the Lagos State Government would win up to the Supreme Court and then collate all unpaid taxes and hammer them.

The tax is not even much but they don't want to pay anything.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by MrMcJay(m): 12:26pm On Dec 29, 2017
Mariangeles:
Who told you they don't do charity works...? Do your research before commenting... in this country, the Church do the major charity works

Stop telling lies. You're a Christian and that is very bad.

The USAID is the number 1 aid agency in Nigeria. Followed by the UK DFID. Others like the Norwegian Council and others follow.

Nigerian churches (mine inclusive) don't engage in acts of charity. Let's say the truth even if it's not convenient.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by shekauvsbuhari: 12:27pm On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

Thanks for the response. Another quick one.

Do Nigerian churches appears like a Charity home or Business centres?

On the fact that you claim and accepted there are abuses, fraud, and mismanagement of church funds,it simply mean they have derail and not running as Charity organization. Does that not translate that are no more charity as claimed but a business for the merriment of the pastors and leaders and because of this should be taxed?
you are just ranting out of aroused emotions. I am talking from point of law and objectivity. If you have evidence of infractions, forward them to the authorities. I also want u 2 kno that the op has been misleading u guys to engage in a futile argument. If u read the post u would see dt lasg was not planning to tax church n mosque. I ve told u what they want to do and areas where church can pay tax. If u want to continue to rant, go ahead. Its like de churches are the reason u re not fulfilled yet.de govt dt couldnt develope with trillions of oil dollars, na de kobo kobo from church go do them. U just dont like de churches.

1 Like

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by OversightTM(m): 12:27pm On Dec 29, 2017
Xisnin:

Any income you used in payment or donation is no longer your own.
You are not being taxed(double), it is the recipient that is being taxed.
I don't know why you keep misconstruing my point. All along I have been plying the route of donations/freewill givings and not the portion of disposable income spent on payment of goods and services. But I will rather let it rest here. Thanks for your time

1 Like

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by otomatic(m): 12:29pm On Dec 29, 2017
Churches operate on freewill offerings or donations. Even the tithes are freewill cos nobody is compelled. So if government wants to tax those donations, they might as well tax cash gifts to individuals.
Imagine government coming to tax you from the money your uncle dashed you or from the money you were sprayed with during your party.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by harmbhrosz(m): 12:29pm On Dec 29, 2017
codemaniacs:

You're just noticing....

you are not a christian... churches employ people, build hospitals, schools, football clubs, it remain to expand into other industries...

I worship the Sun... I will never speak against the church because it was Sun worshipers that fought and protested against the colonialists and this made the colonialists use education as a way of re-colonialising people but some people can see through this and move to bcom Atheists...

Nigeria wouldn't be as educated as it is without traditionalists(Sun worshipers) and christians building schools..

Tax on land use is the first step towards full taxation... its either christianity and islam is banned or they let them be and kill each other off..
what is this one saying?
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by erico2k2(m): 12:31pm On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

It doesn't matter if they are registered as charity. Churches in Nigeria are not operating like charity.

And for your info, I was a member of church workers. We keep records of all the amount we spend and receive on weekly basis. And also send report to the headquarter on monthly basis.
Did you pay tax as church worker ?
Besides weather they function as charity or not.that's what they are registered as.so unless that part of the law o's changed nothing will change .
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by OversightTM(m): 12:32pm On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

Lagos State Government is likely seeing them as business organization
Are you a member of the House? Last I checked, the topic of discourse is enforcing land use charge/tax on churches and mosques; this is in complete dissonance with the gavel you've been wielding since morning.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Xisnin(m): 12:33pm On Dec 29, 2017
OversightTM:

I don't know why you keep misconstruing my point. All along I have been plying the route of donations/freewill givings and not the portion of disposable income spent on payment of goods and services. But I will rather let it rest here. Thanks for your time

It applies to any income(freewill or payment). If you pay for a service,
the money is no longer your own, so I see no reason why anyone will
fight for a money that is no longer theirs.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by OBAGADAFFI: 12:33pm On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

Please I need some clarification.

If Nigerian churches make money and pay salaries, why shouldn't the organization as a whole not taxed based on their revenue?

The common ground here is that they earb money.

State can only collect PAYEE and most Churches (Pastors and Worker) pay their PAYEE to the state government.

For Limited Liability companies owned by churches, they pay corporate tax to FIRS.

But donation and offering giving to Churches are classified as Charity., they wont be taxed.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by erico2k2(m): 12:33pm On Dec 29, 2017
MrMcJay:

Stop telling lies. You're a Christian and that is very bad.

The USAID is the number 1 aid agency in Nigeria. Followed by the UK DFID. Others like the Norwegian Council and others follow.

Nigerian churches (mine inclusive) don't engage in acts of charity. Let's say the truth even if it's not convenient.
They do but not as they are meant to.It would be better if they did more ie make members kids go to thier university @ 50%discount
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by harmbhrosz(m): 12:34pm On Dec 29, 2017
[quote author=otomatic post=63711010]Churches operate on freewill offerings or donations. Even the tithes are freewill cos nobody is compelled. So if government wants to tax those donations, they might as well tax cash gifts to individuals.
Imagine government coming to tax you from the money your uncle dashed you or from the money you were sprayed with during your party.[/quoteOga the taxation is on land use(as it's being done in every developed and civilized society, even places like new York, individuals are taxed for buying things above a particular amount) only of you'll read the article properly and understand. You don't have to go all flamed up once you hear church
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Desyner: 12:37pm On Dec 29, 2017
MrMcJay:

Lol
I said your tears have just started. You'll still cry blood.

The Government would tax churches, they would take the Lagosh State Government to court, the Lagos State Government would win up to the Supreme Court and then collate all unpaid taxes and hammer them.

The tax is not even much but they don't want to pay anything.
Stop getting emotional and start reasoning.
Let the govt tax them and let's see.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

T.b. Joshua Indicted By Coroner's Inquest / Female Witchdoctor Confesses In T.B Joshua’s Synagogue Church (photo) / Catholic Priest Slumps And Dies In Anambra During Church Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.