Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed (35307 Views)

Lagos Government Suspends Re-Opening Of Churches And Mosques / Coronavirus: Guidelines For Reopening Churches And Mosques By NCDC / Churches, Mosques To Remain Closed In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:39pm On Dec 29, 2017
shekauvsbuhari:
you are just ranting out of aroused emotions. I am talking from point of law and objectivity. If you have evidence of infractions, forward them to the authorities. I also want u 2 kno that the op has been misleading u guys to engage in a futile argument. If u read the post u would see dt lasg was not planning to tax church n mosque. I ve told u what they want to do and areas where church can pay tax. If u want to continue to rant, go ahead. Its like de churches are the reason u re not fulfilled yet.de govt dt couldnt develope with trillions of oil dollars, na de kobo kobo from church go do them. U just dont like de churches.

None of the questions asked has been answered.

Do churches now operate as like a charity or not?

If they are registered as charity but do not operate as such, the law can be amended to arrest any anomalies and deciet playing out in the church.

Secondly, you admited that tithes and offering funds are been abused and mismanaged. In that case, the tax law should be extended to the church because it has derailed from the purpose od establishment.

I have long support that Government should check financial books of church and also tax them heavily except they channel all received fund on social development.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Desyner: 12:39pm On Dec 29, 2017
smulti:
they are actually making money from your head .
how exactly ?
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by OBAGADAFFI: 12:40pm On Dec 29, 2017
MrMcJay:

Stop telling lies. You're a Christian and that is very bad.

The USAID is the number 1 aid agency in Nigeria. Followed by the UK DFID. Others like the Norwegian Council and others follow.

Nigerian churches (mine inclusive) don't engage in acts of charity. Let's say the truth even if it's not convenient.

That is a lie,

Are you saying Hospital Outreach, Motherless Babies outreaches, School outreach, Prison Outreaches e.t.c done by Churches are not Charity?
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Desyner: 12:40pm On Dec 29, 2017
back2sender:

You are disgrace and a thief. See how you are defending suitcases pastor's.

Christianity is a fraud especially as practiced in Nigeria.
Let them go and heal the beggars in ebute metta and idumota then I will know they are serious in doing God's work.
You can't force the poor to have faith. Get it into your head.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Nobody: 12:41pm On Dec 29, 2017
MrMcJay:
Beautiful

Churches should be placed in a special taxable category. The tax is not based on their income but on the property they occupy. You can't have a 12-storey church in Victoria Island and refuse to pay tax cos it's a church.

All these agbaya churches that have hundreds of parishes but don't have a single orphanage or hospital. Even their mediocre schools are designed to cater to the children of the rich.

Guys, you know the funny thing, these Muslims and Christian leaders would soon issue a joint press release. When money is involved, no religion o. Greed unites them.

Freeze freed the sheeples. Now, Ambode wan hammer the sheeples.
I quite agree with the first paragraph but taxing them will not bring improvement at all. The corrupt nature of most Nigerians is still there.This disease hasn't being cured properly, until then we will not see any sign of development
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Desyner: 12:41pm On Dec 29, 2017
teefaht:

This is like asking someone: where do you get the money to build ur house?
So what's ur answer ?
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:42pm On Dec 29, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

State can only collect PAYEE and most Churches (Pastors and Worker) pay their PAYEE to the state government.

For Limited Liability companies owned by churches, they pay corporate tax to FIRS.

But donation and offering giving to Churches are classified as Charity., they wont be taxed.

Tithe and offering is not the only money made by churches.

They sell miracle water and handerkerchief. Does that translate to donation too?

Churches sell calenders, stickers, pastors written books, audio and video cassette. They make money from every available means. All these to a reasonable end should be taxed.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Nobody: 12:42pm On Dec 29, 2017
Firefire:

Absolute double taxation.

All income to churches/mosques (Tithes, offering, Fisebilillah & special donations) is after all the individual has been taxed. Any other church income apart from members contributions SHOULD be Tax. E.g. Sales of books, and income from other investments.

Shalom!
Last paragraph is absolutely true
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by MrMcJay(m): 12:43pm On Dec 29, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

That is a lie,

Are you saying Hospital Outreach, Motherless Babies outreaches, School outreach, Prison Outreaches e.t.c done by Churches are not Charity?

Mention them and give specific instances.

I'm waiting
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by goestohell: 12:43pm On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

Is Buhari not paying tax too? He earns salary after tax has been deducted.

And where is the evidence that Yusuf medical bill is offset from tax money? You guys just real out garbage from your anu just to prove a point.

On the principle of equity, the Church and Mosque is a business avenue which must be taxed. In UK, churches and religion centres are been taxed. This is because most full term pastors and bishops are been paid salary. The church earn revenue from every possible means. Either by selling religion items or offering money for special prayers. All these are no different from corporate organizations that render services or Industries that sells manufactured products which are taxed.

The Church property like every other Business properties should be taxed. The Sales revenue and Salaries of Pastors should be taxed too. There should no exception because both Church and it operators earn money. There is money flow that is taxable. These pastors or whatever they tag themselves should pay income tax just like every person. And the church which makes money from the congregation should also pay tax just like every other business or institution

My dear FOLLYKRAZE (what a name by the way. Why'd you choose it? grin)

It seems you could do with a few basic lessons on the confusion which this church taxation nonsense will create.

First of all, churches who operate businesses ALREADY pay taxes. Asking them to pay additional taxes will be unfair and unconstitutional.This new proposal is just nebulous and vaguely worded. Politicians are always vague when they are up to mischief.

Secondly, how does one actually assess taxing "church activities" , which is what this plan seems to imply? Will tax assessors from FIRS sit down in church services to monitor which activity should be taxed and which ones should be exempted? Will churches be entitled to tax breaks like other taxed entities? If so, what is a church expected to do in order to earn a tax break? Should they show themselves to be pro Buhari/APC?

Maybe you should actually devote yourself to grovelling before your Orishas and leave these issues to those of us with the required amount of grey matter needed to solve this problem.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by MrMcJay(m): 12:44pm On Dec 29, 2017
Desyner:
Stop getting emotional and start reasoning.
Let the govt tax them and let's see.

Yeah.
They would tax them and there's nothing you're going to do about it.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Nobody: 12:46pm On Dec 29, 2017
guywitzerogal:
grin I no gree since church are making money let them too pay tax....so watch out ur tithe wouldn't be 10% again let say 15%
Tithe of 10% will not change either. The problem isn't about taxing but about utilization of the tax revenue properly
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:46pm On Dec 29, 2017
OversightTM:

Are you a member of the House? Last I checked, the topic of discourse is enforcing land use charge/tax on churches and mosques; this is in complete dissonance with the gavel you've been wielding since morning.

The law has to take on churches somehow from somewhere. Long before now, churches are exempted from paying levies on land use. Today, they must pay. Tomorrow, the law could crawl on taxing religion materials in churches.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by GGirll: 12:46pm On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

Where does all the sales proceed of religious item go to? Government?

What of the special prayers fee?

Where does the salaries of the Pastors come from?

What about the offering and tithing plus unverified donations?
Why is it paining you so much to the extent of asking stupid questions? Anything about d church of Christ all ye wicked cursed souls will jump out but your imams are busy skull mining and killing for rituals non of stone heads will come out n spew rubbish...no matter what ye do just know that you gates of he'll can never n will never prevail against d church of Christ ..spits!
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:48pm On Dec 29, 2017
erico2k2:

Did you pay tax as church worker ?
Besides weather they function as charity or not.that's what they are registered as.so unless that part of the law o's changed nothing will change .

Nope. We were not been paid then. The work is voluntary. But it is fact that we keep records of income and expenses.

The law has to change. It is taking a gradual process though
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by OBAGADAFFI: 12:48pm On Dec 29, 2017
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:49pm On Dec 29, 2017
GGirll:

Why is it paining you so much to the extent of asking stupid questions? Anything about d church of Christ all ye wicked cursed souls will jump out but your imams are busy skull mining and killing for rituals non of stone heads will come out n spew rubbish...no matter what ye do just know that you gates of he'll can never n will never prevail against d church of Christ ..spits!

The topic says Church and Mosques?

Why are you pained because I support LASG?
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by excanny: 12:51pm On Dec 29, 2017
Dead on arrival.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by BetaThings: 12:53pm On Dec 29, 2017
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Atk1nson(m): 12:56pm On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

Is Buhari not paying tax too? He earns salary after tax has been deducted.

And where is the evidence that Yusuf medical bill is offset from tax money? You guys just real out garbage from your anu just to prove a point.

On the principle of equity, the Church and Mosque is a business avenue which must be taxed. In UK, churches and religion centres are been taxed. This is because most full term pastors and bishops are been paid salary. The church earn revenue from every possible means. Either by selling religion items or offering money for special prayers. All these are no different from corporate organizations that render services or Industries that sells manufactured products which are taxed.

The Church property like every other Business properties should be taxed. The Sales revenue and Salaries of Pastors should be taxed too. There should no exception because both Church and it operators earn money. There is money flow that is taxable. These pastors or whatever they tag themselves should pay income tax just like every person. And the church which makes money from the congregation should also pay tax just like every other business or institution

You made some valid point but you've got most of your facts wrong. President salary is wholly tax exempt (schedule 3 of the Personal Income Tax Act). Also the issue of expenditure made during President's last prolonged foreign treatment raises valid questions about what he is being paid and if those expense were covered by his HMO or if they just decided to dip their hands into the national treasury and pay themselves what they deem fit.

Also contributions to churches and mosques in the UK are tax exempt. It's the salaries paid to religious workers that are taxable (including pastor's and imans). Also business ventures run by religiuos bodies are wholly taxable. The same is applicable in Nigeria.

Unfortunately in Nigeria, most religious bodies are not transparent about what they make or how they spend it, hence taxation in practice is difficult. The government must force these religious bodies to come clean in compliance with the existing laws of the land. No new law is needed.

1 Like

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:57pm On Dec 29, 2017
Gotohellosewa:

My dear FOLLYKRAZE (what a name by the way. Why'd you choose it? grin)

It seems you could do with a few basic lessons on the confusion which this church taxation nonsense will create.

First of all, churches who operate businesses ALREADY pay taxes. Asking them to pay additional taxes will be unfair and unconstitutional.This new proposal is just nebulous and vaguely worded. Politicians are always vague when they are up to mischief.

Secondly, how does one actually assess taxing "church activities" , which is what this plan seems to imply? Will tax assessors from FIRS sit down in church services to monitor which activity should be taxed and which ones should be exempted? Will churches be entitled to tax breaks like other taxed entities? If so, what is a church expected to do in order to earn a tax break? Should they show themselves to be pro Buhari/APC?

Maybe you should actually devote yourself to grovelling before your Orishas and leave these issues to those of us with the required amount of grey matter needed to solve this problem.

I will never bring myself down so low and indulge in name calling or ticking toward personal insult. Let me address your submission.

1. Churches sell products just like cooperation and industries. But unlike industry, they are tax exempted. On the principle of equality, that is unfair toward industries that pay tax.

2. Churches keep record of their flow of income and expenses. I was a member of church workers and we keep records then. We record every penny spent on fueling Gen, repair electronics, buy refreshment for frstive and the likes. We also record the income in form of sales of books, miracle handkerchief and tithe. We also send report to zones which goes to headquarter on monthly basis. FIRS can get these records and calculate their tax from it.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Desyner: 12:58pm On Dec 29, 2017
MrMcJay:

Yeah.
They would tax them and there's nothing you're going to do about it.
When? I have been hearing that tax talk for years.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:00pm On Dec 29, 2017
Atk1nson:

You made some valid point but you've got most of your facts wrong. President salary is wholly tax exempt (schedule 3 of the Personal Income Tax Act). Also the issue of expenditure made during President's last prolonged foreign treatment raises valid questions about what he is being paid and if those expense were covered by his HMO or if they just decided to dip their hands into the national treasury and pay themselves what they deem fit.

Also contributions to churches and mosques in the UK are tax exempt. It's the salaries paid to religious workers that are taxable (including pastor's and imans). Also business ventures run by religiuos bodies are wholly taxable. The same is applicable in Nigeria.

Unfortunately in Nigeria, most religious bodies are not transparent about what they make or how they spend it, hence taxation in practice is difficult. The government must force these religious bodies to come clean in compliance with the existing laws of the land. No new law is needed.

GBAM.

No need to argue further. And thanks for educating on President tax exemption clause
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by nkemjacob2(m): 1:04pm On Dec 29, 2017
y all focus on church.. everyone commenting on it, what of Muslim. Dont they have structure
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by MrMcJay(m): 1:06pm On Dec 29, 2017
Desyner:
When? I have been hearing that tax talk for years.

It's already before the LSHA. This is the first time it's being mentioned in Lagos. The last one was by the FG when they wanted to amend the CAMA to make the income of religious organisations taxable.

Don't be in a hurry, LSHA passes bills speedily. Eg LAGESC law and other laws.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by MrMcJay(m): 1:07pm On Dec 29, 2017
nkemjacob2:
y all focus on church.. everyone commenting on it, what of Muslim. Dont they have structure

All religious structures would become taxable, even shrines.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by lloyds(m): 1:10pm On Dec 29, 2017
Useless bill. Ambode is hypocrite.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by goestohell: 1:17pm On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

I will never bring myself down so low and indulge in name calling or ticking toward personal insult. Let me address your submission.

1. Churches sell products just like cooperation and industries. But unlike industry, they are tax exempted. On the principle of equality, that is unfair toward industries that pay tax.

2. Churches keep record of their flow of income and expenses. I was a member of church workers and we keep records then. We record every penny spent on fueling Gen, repair electronics, buy refreshment for frstive and the likes. We also record the income in form of sales of books, miracle handkerchief and tithe. We also send report to zones which goes to headquarter on monthly basis. FIRS can get these records and calculate their tax from it.

FOLLYKRAZE, You truly hurt my feelings. When did I insult you? I merely pointed out the obvious to you. If felt insulted, well I can't help that.

I see you've chosen to ignore the part of my post where I said that Churches who engage in commercial activities (like owning community banks, universities etc) should pay taxes.

Instead, you want Churches to pay taxes for producing such things as daily devotionals and pamphlets etc, in other words, a tax on the right of Christians to actually express their religious teachings, which is at odds with freedom of religious expression. Thank goodness that Christians don't express our grievances through suicide bombings like some do. We will fight this injustice in the courts.

As for you, pray to that small orisha which you keep under your pillow that Christians are able to prevail because a victory for the freedom of religion will benefit not just Christians, but your orisha as well.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by teefaht(f): 1:20pm On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

Mosques collect donations, they sell religious materials. They also have schools sometime inside the mosque or a building beside where student pay school fees. All these must be taxed duly.

Moreso, the mosque should pay property tax.
Mosques are not for business purposes I repeat!
They don't sell religious materials nor own schools, those are for the associations as I said earlier.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by smulti(m): 1:30pm On Dec 29, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Tithe of 10% will not change either. The problem isn't about taxing but about utilization of the tax revenue properly

leave that aspect to the government
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by erico2k2(m): 1:31pm On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

Nope. We were not been paid then. The work is voluntary. But it is fact that we keep records of income and expenses.

The law has to change. It is taking a gradual process though
Ok well most well l ow churched pay thier workers . From pastors to musicians . Choir and cleaners .
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by back2sender: 1:32pm On Dec 29, 2017
Desyner:
You can't force the poor to have faith. Get it into your head.
See comment *you can't force the poor to have faith *
This are the fraudsters who call themselves Christians.
Poor man naa sin for your christianity but if the rich man made his MONEY from looting, jibiti, rituals etc he will be given a front seat in church and seen as a man of faith.
Awon ole jati jati in churches

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Female Witchdoctor Confesses In T.B Joshua’s Synagogue Church (photo) / Catholic Priest Slumps And Dies In Anambra During Church Service / Lucifer Is Married To Rihanna & Ladygaga - Pastor Tells Her Church Members(video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.