Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why (2039 Views)

How Much Is The PS3 Presently Sold?? / Used Old Ps3s (20, 60, And 80) Are Increasing In Value Compared To The Ps3 Slim. / Why Hasn't The Ps3 Been Hacked? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by kosovo(m): 4:14am On Apr 07, 2010
Uncharted 3 Will Be Graphically Superior To Uncharted 2

According to what co-lead game designer Neil Druckman told the gaming press, Uncharted 3 is going to blow our minds once again, and it's not necessarily due to the power of the PlayStation 3. In fact, Druckman says they're already working with the full power of the hardware for Uncharted 2, but the engine for the game can be optimized to look visually superior. In a direct contrast, it seems Uncharted: Drake's Fortune only utilized about 30% of the PS3 hardware, which - mathematically speaking - would mean Naughty Dog used more than three times the hardware power in the making of Uncharted 2. Plus, with the 90 minutes of cinematic content that will emulate real life better than ever before, Uncharted 2 is going to be one fine production, but can you even begin to imagine what Uncharted 3 might look like? Can the designers really take another significant step? If so, wow.

Uncharted 2 to "max out" the PS3's SPUs
quotes from Naughty Dog co-presidents Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra
"Uncharted used 30 per cent of the PS3’s SPUs, and this time we’re maxing it out,” says Balestra. “That means we can blend and switch animations a lot quicker, and we have more facial joints in-game for characters to react with believable expressions.”

“So if he’s sneaking, his animation has to reflect that, and if he’s on shaky ground, you’ll see him checking his balance. If he’s scared, you’ll see the anguish and fear on his face,” adds Wells.

Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by kosovo(m): 4:23am On Apr 07, 2010
@ Dev Speak: Uncharted 2 & Final Fantasy Xiii Use 100% Of The Ps3's Power

If Final fantasy maxed out the PS3, how come Uncharted 2 is graphically and visually better than FF13?
Both games came out more than 6 months before the release of GOW3, how come GOW3 is graphically and visually superior than both games,

Killzone 3 would also be better than killzone 2,

While the graphical powerhouse, is not even out - GT5, GT5 will boost 1000 Cars and each cars would have 500,000 polygonsUncharted 2's Drakes only has 80,000 polygons. . .

Sony has said many times, they made the PS3 hard to develop for, so each time a Dev thinks they have maxed out the PS3, They find out that they could do more, if they tweak the Engine. . .

The recent release of about 80mb Ram to developers to work with, would also increase their limits, Uncharted 2 and GOW3 did not uses from the 80mb Ram released by Sony. . .
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by audacious: 11:04pm On Apr 07, 2010
Moderator, please delete this thread as another one already exists about the same topic.

*You would think the "Oga" would obey the rules and post a reply in the appropriate thread instead of opening a new one.

kosovo:

Sony has said many times, they made the PS3 hard to develop for, so each time a Dev thinks they have maxed out the PS3, They find out that they could do more, if they tweak the Engine.

C'mon dude, a console manufacturer intentionally making it hard for devs to create games for their console?  ,   ha ha haaaaa, ha haaaaaaaa, you should try stand up comedy for real!  grin
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by kosovo(m): 5:37am On Apr 08, 2010

C'mon dude, a console manufacturer intentionally making it hard for devs to create games for their console?  ,   ha ha haaaaa, ha haaaaaaaa, you should try stand up comedy for real!  grin

If i get you the link and quote, what's my stake? do you think i just post for posting sake Over a Decade of Active gamin journalism isn't a joke okay . . . cheesy
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by audacious: 9:27am On Apr 08, 2010
kosovo:

If i get you the link and quote, what's my stake? do you think i just post for posting sake Over a Decade of Active gamin journalism isn't a joke okay . . . cheesy

Get me the link to prove you ain't inventing stuff when it's convenient to do so. And please enough with the "Gaming for decades" ish, that's getting old ok.
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by kosovo(m): 11:07pm On Apr 08, 2010
audacious:

Get me the link to prove you ain't inventing stuff when it's convenient to do so. And please enough with the "Gaming for decades" ish, that's getting old ok.
Thanks for the stress in going through my archives, Now this issue has been laid to rest . . . cheesy

"It's hard to program for, and a lot of people see the negatives of it, but if you flip that around, it means the hardware has a lot more to offer," Hirai explained, pointing to the graphical advances of God of War, which hit the PS2 almost five years after launch, as an example of that strategy.

He added: "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"

Sony took a somewhat similar strategy with the PSP. Though the portable's CPU was capable of running at 333MHz, developers were initially limited to using only 222MHz, supposedly to conserve battery life.
Link

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
--Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment
Link
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by gadjetvill: 8:50am On Apr 09, 2010
moderator please visit my threads and dlete the posts that these posters made on this two links
i am selling a console and they are alling me ole coz dey know were to get it elsewere
taxazzpete
enekwizu
otoidea

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-424187.0.html

realechie
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-424189.0.html
please i find te posts very offensive and they are if its now a crime to sell something for 180k and dey can get it for 140k and that now makes me a thief,
please sort it out as i have complained earlier
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by kosovo(m): 2:18pm On Apr 09, 2010
^^^
I do not know what you want me to do . . But i can't see any offense . . .Everyone has a right to voice their opinion, but ur pricing is ridiculous cheesy grin . C'mon . . wink
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by gadjetvill: 7:53pm On Apr 09, 2010
AS A MEMBER OF THIS GREAT FORUM WITH MODS LIKE YOURSELF I BELIEVE I HAVE THE RIGHT TO ASK FOR A POST CALLING ME AN OLE FOR SELLING A CONSOLE AND CDS AT A PRICE I CHOOSE.
I DIDNT STEAL THE CONSOLE FROM ANY OF THEM AND ITS MY THREAD.
YOU CAN SEE CLEARLY THAT IT IS DIRECTED TO AFFECT MY POST AND I AM VERY INSULTED BY THAT.
THIS TREND OF ANYONE GOING ON A VALID POST OF ANOTHER USER ABUSING THEM AND CALLING THEM NAMES [EVEN HIJACKING THE TOPICS TO FAVOR THEMSELVES OR THEIR OWN MARKETS] HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR TOO LONG AND YOUR REPLY TO MY JUST REQUEST IS ONLY GOING TO ENCOURAGE.
I AM NOT MAKING A SOCIAL POST I HAVE A PRODUCT WHICH I WANT TO SELL AND IF I SELL IT AT 500K ITS NO ONES BUSINESS AND IT DOESNT MAKE ME A THIEF.
PLEASE AS THE MODERATOR OF THIS GREAT THREAD I WAN YOU TO DELETE POSTS OF ME BEING CALLED A "THIEF" FOR SELLING "MY OWN PRODUCT" AT A PRICE OF MY OWN CHOOSING.
AND KOSOVO PLEASE FOR THE RECORDS AS A REGULATOR IN A BODY YOU DONT JUSTIFY PEOPLE DOING WHATS WRONG YET ALONE GO ALONG WITH THEM IN ANY WAY WHAT SO EVER
kosovo:

^^^
I do not know what you want me to do . . But i can't see any offense . . .Everyone has a right to voice their opinion, but your pricing is ridiculous cheesy grin . C'mon . . wink

YES THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOICE THEIR OPINIONS BUT NOT THE RIGHT TO CALL ME A THIEF IN ANY WAY/
IF THERES ANYTHING THATS RIDICULOUS ITS BEING TAGGED A THIEF FOR SELLING SOMETHING I OWN AT ANY PRICE I CHOOSE.
MOST OF THESE THINGS ONLY HAPPEN ON NAIRALAND AND THEY ARE ONLY GROWING BIGGER AND AFFECTING MORE PEOPLE BECAUSE THINGS LIKE THIS ARE NOT BEING REGULATED AS SHOULD BE.
ONCE AGAIN PLEASE I ASK THAT YOU DELETE THOSE POSTS AS I WAS WRONG BEFORE I DONT FIND THEM OFFENSIVE [DESPITE BEING CALLED A THIEF FOR NOT STEALING]
I FIND IT , WORDS CAN NOT EXPLAIN.
THANK YOU FOR YOU ASSISTANCE DEAR MODERATOR AND I BELIEVE YOU WILL DO WHATS RIGHT AND NOT VIEW MY POST AS ONE OF THE MANY SOCIAL THREADS THAT ANYONE CAN COME ON BOARD AND THROW INSULTS AND ABUSES AT THE POSTER AND SIMPLY GET AWAY WITH IT AFTER DONG MUCH DAMAGE
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by texazzpete(m): 2:30pm On Apr 10, 2010
gadjetvill:

AS A MEMBER OF THIS GREAT FORUM WITH MODS LIKE YOURSELF I BELIEVE I HAVE THE RIGHT TO ASK FOR A POST CALLING ME AN OLE FOR SELLING A CONSOLE AND CDS AT A PRICE I CHOOSE.
YOU CAN SEE CLEARLY THAT IT IS DIRECTED TO AFFECT MY POST AND I AM VERY INSULTED BY THAT.
THIS TREND OF ANYONE GOING ON A VALID POST OF ANOTHER USER ABUSING THEM AND CALLING THEM NAMES [EVEN HIJACKING THE TOPICS TO FAVOR THEMSELVES OR THEIR OWN MARKETS] HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR TOO LONG AND YOUR REPLY TO MY JUST REQUEST IS ONLY GOING TO ENCOURAGE.
I AM NOT MAKING A SOCIAL POST I HAVE A PRODUCT WHICH I WANT TO SELL AND IF I SELL IT AT 500K ITS NO ONES BUSINESS AND IT DOESNT MAKE ME A THIEF.
PLEASE AS THE MODERATOR OF THIS GREAT THREAD I WAN YOU TO DELETE POSTS OF ME BEING CALLED A "THIEF" FOR SELLING "MY OWN PRODUCT" AT A PRICE OF MY OWN CHOOSING.
AND KOSOVO PLEASE FOR THE RECORDS AS A REGULATOR IN A BODY YOU DONT JUSTIFY PEOPLE DOING WHATS WRONG YET ALONE GO ALONG WITH THEM IN ANY WAY WHAT SO EVER
YES THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOICE THEIR OPINIONS BUT NOT THE RIGHT TO CALL ME A THIEF IN ANY WAY/
IF THERES ANYTHING THATS RIDICULOUS ITS BEING TAGGED A THIEF FOR SELLING SOMETHING I OWN AT ANY PRICE I CHOOSE.
MOST OF THESE THINGS ONLY HAPPEN ON NAIRALAND AND THEY ARE ONLY GROWING BIGGER AND AFFECTING MORE PEOPLE BECAUSE THINGS LIKE THIS ARE NOT BEING REGULATED AS SHOULD BE.
ONCE AGAIN PLEASE I ASK THAT YOU DELETE THOSE POSTS AS I WAS WRONG BEFORE I DONT FIND THEM OFFENSIVE [DESPITE BEING CALLED A THIEF FOR NOT STEALING]
THANK YOU FOR YOU ASSISTANCE DEAR MODERATOR AND I BELIEVE YOU WILL DO WHATS RIGHT AND NOT VIEW MY POST AS ONE OF THE MANY SOCIAL THREADS THAT ANYONE CAN COME ON BOARD AND THROW INSULTS AND ABUSES AT THE POSTER AND SIMPLY GET AWAY WITH IT AFTER DONG MUCH DAMAGE

Man, stop whining!
If you own a physical shop, isn't someone allowed to price your products? And how exactly did i do anything wrong by pointing out to consumers that your product was woefully overprced?
I'm sticking up for my fellow man here: your price is way overboard!
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by Bawss1(m): 4:54pm On Apr 10, 2010
gadjetvill:

Dude get real and quit complaining. If anything come up with a new marketing strategy instead of painting yourself as a crybaby. People think your prices are outrageous, get over it.
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by Nobody: 9:39pm On Apr 10, 2010
see as TP spoil market cheesy cheesy
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by init4dmoni(m): 2:24am On Apr 11, 2010
gadjetvill:

this post is full of so much fail it was actually physically painful to read
(in regard to the highlighted sentence ) in my book it does make you one if the actual price is 127k-135k(if bought in ng)
45k gain? seriously?!?!
and stop typing in caps, it makes u look like a douche
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by kosovo(m): 7:36am On Apr 11, 2010
noted!
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by Nobody: 8:03am On Apr 11, 2010
gadgetvii - go find your maga someplace else

better still - go start your own forum

alternatively, for a small 'consulting' fee /percentage , you can engage the services of the moderator to delete posts of market spoilers like that torontopete fellow.

you can then post your ps3 as 250k , no problemo
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by Bawss1(m): 10:41am On Apr 11, 2010
oyb:

gadgetvii - go find your maga someplace else

better still - go start your own forum

alternatively, for a small 'consulting' fee /percentage , you can engage the services of the moderator to delete posts of market spoilers like that torontopete fellow.

you can then post your ps3 as 250k , no problemo

Torontopete? What you have beef too wiv TP? Interesting.
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by texazzpete(m): 7:24pm On Apr 12, 2010
Bawss1:

Torontopete? What you have beef too wiv TP? Interesting.

nah, Oyb ain't got no beef with me grin

Well, he will when i finally get my Core i7 laptop and destroy that his old school Dual Core Lenovo he's so proud of grin

Bawss1:

Dude get real and quit complaining. If anything come up with a new marketing strategy instead of painting yourself as a crybaby. People think your prices are outrageous, get over it.

Man, you sure told him grin
Re: Naughty Dog Did Not Max Out The Ps3, They Only Used 100% Of The SPU! Here's Why by kosovo(m): 9:09pm On Apr 12, 2010
^^^
m Still njoying my Sony Vaio . . . quad core is cool . . . I don't see the need for core i7 anytime soon . . .

(1) (Reply)

Tom Clancy's The Division Beta Key Giveaway INSTANT ACCESS / Who Else Is Getting FM2016 Crash Dumps Error, Help / Ps4 Dualshock Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.