Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,864 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated (9494 Views)

11 New Year Resolutions Most Nigerians Will Never Keep In 2019 / 5 New Year Resolutions You Can Easily Keep / What Are Your New Year Resolutions For 2018? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by deturla: 10:48am On Dec 31, 2017
It’s about that time of the year again when people start making promises to themselves both in secret and in the open that they would end up not keeping at all.

For some people, it’s the best way to start a year and move on from the past one while for some, it’s a whole ball of garbage and seems overrated. But is it really?

The best way, I mean. It’s become routine for almost 80% of the world’s population to write down or make a mental note of all the things they’d either love to achieve or the habits they’d try to change or situations they’d love to turn around or maybe even goals they’d love to achieve in the new year. I’m guessing they believe the magic of the new year or just something about the new year would change things for them and help them achieve these.

But wait a minute, isn’t it just like shutting your eyes to sleep and waking up to a new day that the sun rises quite like it did the day before, even though the previous day was the final day of the past month? So what new magic is there to change things? Believe me, I don’t mean to be a ball buster or a kill joy but what’s the major difference in having already set goals you’d love to achieve and making new year plans just because it’s a new year?

Well, you wouldn’t need rocket science to deduce that I’m one of those people who think new year resolutions are very much over-hyped and overrated. I’ve got a few reasons to back up my claim. Feel free to criticize these reasons but you’ve got to do more than criticize me, you’ve got convince me to change my mind although I don’t think you can.

1. They Are Always Made As A Means For Redemption:

Majority of the people who make new year resolutions do them as a means to right their mistakes and find much sought after redemption. Most of the resolutions I have heard people make, and the few I thought about making in the past sprung mostly from previous mistakes made in the past. They always feel the new year should start with a new kind of life, one without you dragging the past along, which is actually a really nice idea but mustn’t be at the beginning of the year. You can always let go of things for your own good and not because you feel it’s sane enough to start a year with new redeeming thoughts.

2. New Year Resolutions Are Mostly Filled With Unreasonable And Unachievable Plans:

Everyone who makes or has made a new year resolution always aims to top his previous ante and push himself/herself a little be more. So they mostly say things too wonderful for their minds to even comprehend or achieve.

Most of these resolutions are just too ridiculous to even think of. And they do so to fulfill the school of thought which urges people to think bigger than they normally do and hope to achieve more. Instead of thinking considerably big as is understandable, they go way above normalcy and plan for things they wouldn’t even achieve in reality. They always expect a huge miracle to happen and bring these plans to life. Then they sit on their butts and wait for these miracles to come through. Yes, without even putting in any work.

3. New Year Resolutions Are Always Done At A Bad Time In The Year:

New year resolutions would have been awesome if they were done at a certain time of the year, say, February, when they Christmas craze and the new year jitters have all died down and all you’ve got left are your sanity and some new drive for the new year. Instead, it is usually done at a time when everyone’s busy making merry and worrying what the new year has in store for them. A time when feelings are all over the place and all everyone is thinking about is being better than they were before instead of real personal, social and professional growth.

I mean, who makes decisions at a time when it’s best to be a foodie?

4. It’s majorly procrastination:

Many times than less, new year’s resolutions are made in a hurry usually at the last minute when the fireworks hit the sky. When not written down, they come off like little pleas to do better, be better and achieve better than the previous year. All these come in a split second when the year is almost minutes in.

So, It is more like a ceremonious chant in one’s head to put to rest the feeling of imperfection and inadequacy the past year probably left in them and start the new year with fewer or no sins. Everyone knows that hurried decisions have very short life spans and will definitely reach nowhere. Then for those who actually write them down, they mostly put together elusive ideas from previous years or recessive habits they’d love to quit and thoughts they feel should have been reality by now and try to psyche themselves into achieving these written plans by pushing themselves a little bit more. But then, a few weeks later, the lists are thrown aside and forgotten.

Do you think new year resolutions are not overrated? Share your thoughts with me in the comment section below!

http://deedeesblog.com/10-reasons-why-new-year-resolutions-are-overrated/

Cc: lalasticlala, mynd44

5 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by Samogbo1(m): 10:59am On Dec 31, 2017
Truly, it's overrated!

And most people dont keep to it.

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by TheHistorian(m): 10:59am On Dec 31, 2017

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by jamex93(m): 10:59am On Dec 31, 2017
Very much over rated

I swear down

I don't even believe in it.. .

Na dat one go put money for person account?

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by Nobody: 10:59am On Dec 31, 2017
Op don't conclude for others, if none of your resolutions work for you, doesnt mean it won't work for others, it means you weren't committed to it.

I can boldly say my 2017 resolutions worked for me cos i was determined to stick to it and i did, so for 2018, yes i have resolutions and i will abide by it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by 3millionia: 11:00am On Dec 31, 2017
Some Fam will be like this year no more drink women, pray more, no night clubs, blah blah blah.... ..come July they find themselves doing same the vow not to.. Abeg ME am not understanding grin
Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by ladyF(f): 11:01am On Dec 31, 2017
While some are setting new year resolutions that they won't even remember by the end of January...

...Me, I'm calculating how I will keep making FTC back to back come 2018.

It's LadyF again. grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by ebig21(m): 11:01am On Dec 31, 2017
I told one of my friends trying to quit smoking, that you can't stop an addiction just because it's New year, you have to start like two months earlier before New year, he has tried it three years now and has failed
Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by Uyiii: 11:01am On Dec 31, 2017
The time of the year again with the new year new me bullshit.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by Nobody: 11:02am On Dec 31, 2017
Only Emotionally weak people make new year resolutions.

My life is like a football match
It is prone to emergency, unexpected and unforeseen tweaks and changes.
I can make my resolutions any day, any time, any hour and any minute.

Infact my latest resolution is not to comment on any thread till 8pm today

3 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by maxwell767(m): 11:03am On Dec 31, 2017
shocked
Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by PotatoSalad(m): 11:03am On Dec 31, 2017
The best new year resolution is no resolution at all

3 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by badmrkt(m): 11:04am On Dec 31, 2017
"My new year resolution is not to make a "New Resolution"ever again". Overrated peice of shyte...
Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by kolawoleibukun: 11:04am On Dec 31, 2017
na lie

nothing true there.
people for this country moomu oh.
aesha burahi day form say she get class when old man rayp her as a child. a man old enough to father her father. Patience Jonathan no thief people husband oh but dem say she no get class.
classy people no fit win beauty pageant dem no win first class. where is the class? I never see Prince Harry or any royal family wanting anything to do with them with all the class? awon olosho
classy people carry okada go get accident I never see am before.

adigboroja people if una fit go bourdillon una go make money for there.
Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by PotatoSalad(m): 11:05am On Dec 31, 2017
jamex93:
Very much over rated

I swear down

I don't even believe in it.. .

Na dat one go put money for person account?
Send your Western Union info wink
Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 31, 2017
Never had one sef...undecided
Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by Achillesdam500(m): 11:05am On Dec 31, 2017
ladyF:
While some are setting new year resolutions that they won't even remember by the end of January...

All the best grin

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by engrflames: 11:06am On Dec 31, 2017
Resolutions are like new babies, crying to be carried out

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by segebase(m): 11:08am On Dec 31, 2017
f
Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by 3millionia: 11:08am On Dec 31, 2017
ladyF:

Lemme be first to wish you a Happy new year

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 31, 2017
grin

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by internationalman(m): 11:15am On Dec 31, 2017
I go to church but I don't go on crossover night.
To me everyday is a bigining of a new dawn..

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by olamil34(m): 11:15am On Dec 31, 2017
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by jamex93(m): 11:17am On Dec 31, 2017
PotatoSalad:

Send your Western Union info wink

Name : Adewuyi James
Phone : +2349098614675

Thank you and God bless you
Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by millionboi2: 11:20am On Dec 31, 2017
Who e help
Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 31, 2017
I dont make new year resolutions..i only make plans at every point in time..
Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by Nobody: 11:26am On Dec 31, 2017
deturla:
It’s about that time of the year again when people start making promises to themselves both in secret and in the open that they would end up not keeping at all.

For some people, it’s the best way to start a year and move on from the past one while for some, it’s a whole ball of garbage and seems overrated. But is it really?

The best way, I mean. It’s become routine for almost 80% of the world’s population to write down or make a mental note of all the things they’d either love to achieve or the habits they’d try to change or situations they’d love to turn around or maybe even goals they’d love to achieve in the new year. I’m guessing they believe the magic of the new year or just something about the new year would change things for them and help them achieve these.

But wait a minute, isn’t it just like shutting your eyes to sleep and waking up to a new day that the sun rises quite like it did the day before, even though the previous day was the final day of the past month? So what new magic is there to change things? Believe me, I don’t mean to be a ball buster or a kill joy but what’s the major difference in having already set goals you’d love to achieve and making new year plans just because it’s a new year?

Well, you wouldn’t need rocket science to deduce that I’m one of those people who think new year resolutions are very much over-hyped and overrated. I’ve got a few reasons to back up my claim. Feel free to criticize these reasons but you’ve got to do more than criticize me, you’ve got convince me to change my mind although I don’t think you can.

1. They Are Always Made As A Means For Redemption:

Majority of the people who make new year resolutions do them as a means to right their mistakes and find much sought after redemption. Most of the resolutions I have heard people make, and the few I thought about making in the past sprung mostly from previous mistakes made in the past. They always feel the new year should start with a new kind of life, one without you dragging the past along, which is actually a really nice idea but mustn’t be at the beginning of the year. You can always let go of things for your own good and not because you feel it’s sane enough to start a year with new redeeming thoughts.

2. New Year Resolutions Are Mostly Filled With Unreasonable And Unachievable Plans:

Everyone who makes or has made a new year resolution always aims to top his previous ante and push himself/herself a little be more. So they mostly say things too wonderful for their minds to even comprehend or achieve.

Most of these resolutions are just too ridiculous to even think of. And they do so to fulfill the school of thought which urges people to think bigger than they normally do and hope to achieve more. Instead of thinking considerably big as is understandable, they go way above normalcy and plan for things they wouldn’t even achieve in reality. They always expect a huge miracle to happen and bring these plans to life. Then they sit on their butts and wait for these miracles to come through. Yes, without even putting in any work.

3. New Year Resolutions Are Always Done At A Bad Time In The Year:

New year resolutions would have been awesome if they were done at a certain time of the year, say, February, when they Christmas craze and the new year jitters have all died down and all you’ve got left are your sanity and some new drive for the new year. Instead, it is usually done at a time when everyone’s busy making merry and worrying what the new year has in store for them. A time when feelings are all over the place and all everyone is thinking about is being better than they were before instead of real personal, social and professional growth.

I mean, who makes decisions at a time when it’s best to be a foodie?

4. It’s majorly procrastination:

Many times than less, new year’s resolutions are made in a hurry usually at the last minute when the fireworks hit the sky. When not written down, they come off like little pleas to do better, be better and achieve better than the previous year. All these come in a split second when the year is almost minutes in.

So, It is more like a ceremonious chant in one’s head to put to rest the feeling of imperfection and inadequacy the past year probably left in them and start the new year with fewer or no sins. Everyone knows that hurried decisions have very short life spans and will definitely reach nowhere. Then for those who actually write them down, they mostly put together elusive ideas from previous years or recessive habits they’d love to quit and thoughts they feel should have been reality by now and try to psyche themselves into achieving these written plans by pushing themselves a little bit more. But then, a few weeks later, the lists are thrown aside and forgotten.

Do you think new year resolutions are not overrated? Share your thoughts with me in the comment section below!

http://deedeesblog.com/10-reasons-why-new-year-resolutions-are-overrated/

Cc: lalasticlala, mynd44

Well written. Permission to share bro.
Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by djeezy(m): 11:34am On Dec 31, 2017
Oh well....

4 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by sirfee(m): 11:35am On Dec 31, 2017
ebig21:
I told one of my friends trying to quit smoking, that you can't stop an addiction just because it's New year, you have to start like two months earlier before New year, he has tried it three years now and has failed
grin You gave him the best advice,anyone trying to stop addiction during festive season must be a joker.
Re: 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated by mamuzoOMAH(m): 11:45am On Dec 31, 2017
3millionia:
Some Fam will be like this year no more drink women, pray more, no night clubs, blah blah blah.... ..come July they find themselves doing same the vow not to.. Abeg ME am not understanding grin
July? that's far. next week Friday, they are already drinking beer. if that girl they have been planning to bang, calls them to come have sex even on that January 1st, they will run there with full speed. July ko, July ni. iffa hear.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Use Latest Spark VPN Settings File For MTN Free Browsing Cheat 2018 / GLO Unlimited Free Browsing Cheat Codes For June 2015 / Virtual Sport 100% Profit Calculator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.